Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Where the **** is this lol

Eh two weeks ago maybe???? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Something heavier incoming now towards D9 perhaps, maybe a tad north for the upcoming shower. After that? Radar continues to be prettyuninspiring for my location. EDIT: I had typed the above several minutes before I finished. Did get a burst of heavy snow but passed over in less than 5 minutes so still on an icing sugar costing.

It's 2am now - probably going to hit the hay. Not as confident of waking up to a decent dusting anymore. Upstream the North sea stuff is starting to lose intensity too. All these showers are blowing over within 2-5 minutes also which is not helping anyone. Don't seem to have any posters reporting from Dublin/Louth border and further North, they've been seeing alot more action. Same with further South into Wicklow/Carlow/Wexford. Would be interesting to see is anywhere starting to see buildup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm only 20 minutes from Dunshaughlin and can safely say you're not missing anything so far. Still just light grains and dust blowing about and not amounting to anything

the radar looks tasty all night since i've been examining from the west coast, but every report from friends at home is similar to yourself, basically nothing falling so far which is making the pain of not being at home less severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

These were the 1 am snow reports. Max 7 cm in England. Dublin Airport is reporting <0.5 cm depth, snow type: dry, coverage: less than half the ground. No report from Casement so far.

445825.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    the radar looks tasty all night since i've been examining from the west coast, but every report from friends at home is similar to yourself, basically nothing falling so far which is making the pain of not being at home less severe.

This is not exactly true though. We had had fairly heavy graupel and snow showers all evening in north Dublin. Half decent dusting here.

Need more. The stuff coming out of England seems to be placing a cap on convection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Shocking night. Only a slight dusting. I'm extremely disappointed, just showers blowing over in literally two minutes. Not worth staying up for.

Dublin Airport at 2 am.

AAXX 18021 03969 41358 70710 11014 21039 30044 40152 55001 78582 873//
    333 46001 81708 84916 86635 90710 91119=

Depth: 1 cm
    Show-type: Dry (code 6)
    Coverage: More than half the ground.

No depth report from Casement.

Isn't it meant to peak now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This is starting to turn from very promising to very underwhelming. Our 18-hour window for decent snow is almost half over and essentially nothing has happened.

Not sure why which is the frustrating thing. Temps are there. Easterly is there. Precipitation is just nowhere near as intense as it needs to be.

Radar shows absolutely no sign whatsoever of any meaningful change in proceedings. I'm off to bed - bring on November!

sdanseo wrote: »
    This is starting to turn from very promising to very underwhelming. Our 18-hour window for decent snow is almost half over and essentially nothing has happened.

Not sure why which is the frustrating thing. Temps are there. Easterly is there. Precipitation is just nowhere near as intense as it needs to be.
    Yes I've thrown in the towel now. I'm going to look like a fool tomorrow morning when I wake up to virtually nothing, I've told my parents that there should be decent snow but nothing that warrants a yellow warning here, let alone an orange warning. there's a chance for later I guess but I will remain very pessimistic.

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »

We're just not getting that deep convection. Strong mid-level cap in place, limiting precip rates. The next 6 hours is the best window, after that upper levels warm again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I've been staying up just for the hell of it and thank god I'm sick of snow 'cause if I wasn't, I'd be very disappointed with this, barely a dusting at Grange. Like I said previously, us snow bunnies already had our fun early in the month and Mother Nature has to pay us a debt for warmth now. #RollOnSummer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

John.Icy wrote: »
    Something heavier incoming now towards D9 perhaps, maybe a tad north for the upcoming shower. After that? Radar continues to be prettyuninspiring for my location. EDIT: I had typed the above several minutes before I finished. Did get a burst of heavy snow but passed over in less than 5 minutes so still on an icing sugar costing.

It's 2am now - probably going to hit the hay. Not as confident of waking up to a decent dusting anymore. Upstream the North sea stuff is starting to lose intensity too. All these showers are blowing over within 2-5 minutes also which is not helping anyone. Don't seem to have any posters reporting from Dublin/Louth border and further North, they've been seeing alot more action. Same with further South into Wicklow/Carlow/Wexford. Would be interesting to see is anywhere starting to see buildup.

Ditto. Hitting the Sack and no longer expecting to wake up to any white stuff. The light dusting we had in Bray earlier is gone. If all we get is dribs and drabs like that for the rest of the night this will end up being terribly disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I went and measured the snow before I go to bed.
    Around 2.5cm on the car and the snow is drifting in the wind.
    -2.9C and moderate snow falling - north east of Kilkenny city on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snow starting to stick readily now- about 3 cm on the ground. I think my 30 cm on the contest thread was a tad opitimistic:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Exactly take a way two weeks ago, and this place would be jammed. We will only truly appreciate this month looking back forlonging in snow-starved years to come, when we are desperately looking for sign of wintry weather at day 10 ,with our friends the azore high and greenland polar vortex residing at their normal abode.

Maybe Saint Patrick Day hangovers are clicking in..;)

Light to mod snow here settling easily on all surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Haven’t looked outside but when I got up for a p*ss the velux was covered over with a good thickness, could be a couple of inches or could be a foot.
    Wicklow Kildare border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Steady snow for the past half hour here in Monkstown and Dun Laoghaire. Ground completely covered. Must be in a sweet spot given the disappointed posts from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emyoueffsee

Milling down in Monasterevan last few minutes, beginning to build up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I've been staying up just for the hell of it and thank god I'm sick of snow 'cause if I wasn't, I'd be very disappointed with this, barely a dusting at Grange. Like I said previously, us snow bunnies already had our fun early in the month and Mother Nature has to pay us a debt for warmth now. #RollOnSummer

I suppose it depends on your expectation. I just see snow falling as a bonus at this time of year. I will never turn down the chance for snow, as we could be waiting a long time to see powdery snow again. I know with the solar minimum the odds are in our favour, but we are never guaranteed snow from an easterly. That said i can't begrudge people who want warmth now, us snow lovers have been spoilt this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Just had heavy snow shower in Firhouse Dublin 24.
    Not marjorly big flakes but possibly the most sustained snow shower so far this evening....I'd say, ooh at least another 3 mm fell......

Nice snow here now. Persistent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

There's a chunk of precipitation in the Irish sea that looks like it's heading for Wicklow/ North Wexford area. Looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Where are you Kermit??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

A bit of snow in Co.kildare now. Nothing spectacular, though.

Hammering it down here now in Kildare , wish I could post a pic but not enough posts. Oh ye of little faith.

Just stook my head out window of my apartment and it looks like a winter wonderland. More to come too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The difference a mile makes! My part of D9 near Santry too is seeing absolutely nothing - just have a mostly wet front garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

No sight nor sign of snow here in Cork city thank feck. Doesn't even seem that cold outside.

Advertisement