Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

New HIRLAM rolling out has upgrade on snowfall potential. Midland regions could be in for an afternoon deluge of moderate snowfall. 5cm for the majority of Leinster by Sunday evening. Upgrade along the east coast too and inland (looking at you again Sallins :D).

Snowfall finally dies off around lunchtime Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

Miniscule accumulation here at the moment but can only get better, hard to be patient after the last snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Gfs 18z also ups the ante tomorrow.
    Significant snow potential in the South.
    Bout time Cork was added to orange warning

• Registered Users Posts: 23,604 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Radar looking good off north Wales.

Moderate snow here atm.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Several heavy falls of polystyrene here in Lusk since about 8pm... literally looks like a box of polystyrene balls were poured all over my garden!

• Advertisement

Several heavy falls of polystyrene here in Lusk since about 8pm... literally looks like a box of polystyrene balls were poured all over my garden!

It's foundation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Quick question if anyone fancies answering, I've to drive into the city centre around 7.30am tomorrow morning...what are my chances of making it in relatively handily from Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Decent dusting of Snow in Swords, nothing like the other week, but its settled on the road and you can see white with tire marks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my last report of the evening from friends back home in Dunshaughlin and there is still no lying snow, very disappointing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Coming down strong/steady. Heavy graupel, almost horizontal. Killiney Hill/Mullins Hill area, down to Dun Laoghaire/Sallynoggin, South County Dublin.

Sharp tap tap, on window impact, hasn't changed from the start, no heavy flakes, yet.

Edit: Prep. Charge your phones, spare batteries, just in case..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

itac wrote: »
    Quick question if anyone fancies answering, I've to drive into the city centre around 7.30am tomorrow morning...what are my chances of making it in relatively handily from Maynooth?

The main roads will be fine, just give yourself a bit extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hmm Ill be surprised if I see snow tomorrow when I wake up..I thought it was supposed to start properly around 5..its after 10 and its only snowed once and gave a dusting which is melting

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

wakka12 wrote: »
    Hmm Ill be surprised if I see snow tomorrow when I wake up..I thought it was supposed to start properly around 5..its after 10 and its only snowed once and gave a dusting which is melting

A long way to go buddy , chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

North Kilkenny in a long line for streamers. I knew we were going to be more than a yellow warning.
    Most of Leinster should have been Orange.

Currently very heavy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

Was in Dublin 9. Crestfield. Not really anything going on.
    Drove to D15. Clonee. A shed load of Graupel falling.
    Side roads have a nice coating of white.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Those polystyrene balls that bounce a bit are snow pellets. Other possible types are ice pellets, sleet, graupel, and SNOW.

We prefer the latter although we'll take anything that comes with thunder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very little happening in the Irish sea right now, nothing like the widespread streamers that has been effecting the UK since early this morning. Hopefully there will be some pick up later in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭highdef

itac wrote: »
    As long as you can make it from wherever you live onto Straffan Road, you should be fine. Roads may be snow covered though but as long as you have no major inclines or declines, you should be fine however assume that your journey will be a lot slower than normal.

Not sure if the gritters are running as normal tonight, with it being Paddy's Day and all that. If the amount of roads being covered is reduced, there may be a lot more roads snow covered in the morning that would normally be fine due to gritting.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Another pretty heavy shower in Lusk just now - mix of snow pellets (thanks MT!), hail, snow swirling around in the wind, I wouldn't imagine it would be pleasant to walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nice shower with proper flakes in Carlow Town just now

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/975133815021518848?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

My husband absolutely loves thunder, what's the chances of getting some loud thunder in South Kilkenny/Waterford City area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

A reasonable amount of little pellets here in wicklow/Rathnew. Blowing around in every direction. How it started last time...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Beefier looking stuff crossing england now, hopefully it holds together and hits us in a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭greasepalm

driving home from skerries yes lusk had a nice bit falling and entering dundrum got much heavier.home safe and warm cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Have a Victoria Sponge-type dusting of fine powder here in Celbridge. Around 5 mm on the path and road.

445819.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Extremely heavy fall right now north laois, about 1 cm accumulated in past 10 mins on the ground.Very windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nice covering now in Waterford. Grass in hiding again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any updates from Bray? Im stuck down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Thargor wrote: »
    Any updates from Bray? Im stuck down the country.

Some hefty Graupel showers here in Shankill over the past half hour, nothing major. Hoping for more later

• Advertisement

Nice dusting now from grauple/snow.

Advertisement