Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

Coming down in Trim and it's blowing everywhere. Husband went out to put the bin out and got blown back in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

erica74 wrote: »
    My husband absolutely loves thunder, what's the chances of getting some loud thunder in South Kilkenny/Waterford City area?

I've never seen it in this neck of the woods with snow (far south KK) so I wouldn't hold my breath! It's a long shot.

Decent covering now. Ahead of schedule really as I didn't really expect much before morning. Hopefully, we'll have 5cm or more by tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Blizzard conditions in Tramore, Co. Waterford, much worse than the blizzard we had couple of weeks ago, literally can't see out my window.

Nice covering on the roads and grass now.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Nice dusting now from grauple/snow.

Anything more beefy coming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

First snow shower of consequence just blew through Delgany and now steady light stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Probably. We are starting to see those showers build from further back in the Irish sea which is a positive sign. Between 4 and 8 am seem the peak conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

No sign of any deep convection as of yet. Cloudtops are still very low, even upstream over the UK. Conditions for deep convection will peak from midnight so we will be looking for something more than what we're getting right now.

Current snow depts in the UK are widely 1 cm, with up to 6 cm on higher ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Radar looking more productive now. More intense echos out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think any place will get 30cm of snow now, bar high ground in Wicklow.
    Even 20 cm seems a bit high now.
    Currently light snow here, with a dusting on the ground and a bit more on the grass. I'm happy enough with that, to see powdery snow at this time of year is just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Id be so happy with 2 inches, I'm in D14. realistic..?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Waterford City doing very well already in this event. Plenty of heavy showers with accumulations. Amazing to think how snow starved we were up to a few weeks ago and now two events in a short time frame.
    For the record temp is -1.0c at my station

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

Gorgeous flakes coming down now in the midlands. Fascinating to watch. Light dusting in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pretty decent for the last 10 minutes in Mulhuddart D15. Good steady fall and all swirly swirly in the wind.

Guess we were spoiled a bit 2 weeks ago so aren't going to really appreciate that this is happening in mid March. Mid fcuking March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

No sign of any deep convection as of yet. Cloudtops are still very low, even upstream over the UK. Conditions for deep convection will peak from midnight so we will be looking for something more than what we're getting right now.

Whilst deep convection is a great thing, on the Wednesday of the last wintry spell I got almost 20cm of level snow from non-deep convective showers (I was luckily in a streamer all day, in fairness), about 40km from the east coast.

Whether the cloudtops are high or low does not matter at all to the majority here. Heavy snow falling is heavy snow falling, whether from deep or non-deep convection, the physical construction of the cloud where the snow is falling from is rather unimportant.

Having said that, your input here is always welcome and greatly valued here and I personally do understand what you are telling everyone. Being a non-technical thread, the majority won't give 2 $hits how thick the clouds are but just want to know how much snow is falling from them:P

wakka12 wrote: »
    Id be so happy with 2 inches, I'm in D14. realistic..?

Yes, i think that's more than feasible if the streamers get really going in the early hours and you're in the sweet spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Is it just coincidence or some technical explanation as to why snow falls at night most often? Or is heaviest at night

Pretty decent for the last 10 minutes in Mulhuddart D15. Good steady fall and all swirly swirly in the wind.

Guess we were spoiled a bit 2 weeks ago so aren't going to really appreciate that this is happening in mid March. Mid fcuking March.

Exactly take a way two weeks ago, and this place would be jammed. We will only truly appreciate this month looking back forlonging in snow-starved years to come, when we are desperately looking for sign of wintry weather at day 10 ,with our friends the azore high and greenland polar vortex residing at their normal abode.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Exactly take a way two weeks ago, and this place would be jammed. We will only truly appreciate this month looking back forlonging in snow-starved years to come, when we are desperately looking for sign of wintry weather at day 10 ,with our friends the azore high and greenland polar vortex residing at their normal abode.

Hear Hear!

Ye gotta appreciate the white stuff.

Everyone bar the hardcore had their fill 2 weeks ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

highdef wrote: »
    Whilst deep convection is a great thing, on the Wednesday of the last wintry spell I got almost 20cm of level snow from non-deep convective showers (I was luckily in a streamer all day, in fairness), about 40km from the east coast.

Whether the cloudtops are high or low does not matter at all to the majority here. Heavy snow falling is heavy snow falling, whether from deep or non-deep convection, the physical construction of the cloud where the snow is falling from is rather unimportant.

Having said that, your input here is always welcome and greatly valued here and I personally do understand what you are telling everyone. Being a non-technical thread, the majority won't give 2 $hits how thick the clouds are but just want to know how much snow is falling from them:P

But the heaviest snow will fall from deep convection. What's falling so far has been light. It should be getting heavier in the next six hours, but there's no sign of it yet. Not much chance of getting some of the depths mentioned with what we're currently getting.
    Is it just coincidence or some technical explanation as to why snow falls at night most often? Or is heaviest at night

At night there isn't the sun to cause some melt/sublimation while the snow's falling, nor to melt on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Heavy shower here again and wind picked up and is blowing snow around, could have some small little drifts by morning. I suspect Carlow should be added to Orange but bit late now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Disappointing here , sure look it’s mid March , hoping for something decent come morn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Only Sherkin and Valentia above freezing.. 11pm St. Patrick's Day. Not half bad..

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

And Phoenix Park and Malin head.. Fuzzy post grand slam head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Irish Sea starting to rear its head now, a lot more yellow and red appearing 50-100km out. Expect from 2am onwards to be better.

Dublin TAF has reduced SHSN forecast to a PROB40 meaning less likely to be moderate than light, but at the same time extended the probability of showers from 1400 to 1800hrs tomorrow. Temp FINALLY gone negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

At night there isn't the sun to cause some melt/sublimation while the snow's falling, not to melt on the ground.[/quote]

Feeling really stupid now after that obvious answer. Thanks ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EMPotatohands

Still a load of ****e in ballyfermot

Never mind it’s snowing now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

East Laois, Carlow and possibly east Kilkenny lining up nicely for streamer action too.

WEB_radar4_201803172330.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Slim pickings still within the m50 band of Dublin. Passing graupel but long waits between showers so nothing really accumulating. Nothing upstream building to the NE of my location, just getting clipped now and then. Snow trains determined to go north and south of much of central Dublin. Has to be something upstream that hinders convection on this track - IOM isn't the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Waterford City doing very well already in this event. Plenty of heavy showers with accumulations. Amazing to think how snow starved we were up to a few weeks ago and now two events in a short time frame.
    For the record temp is -1.0c at my station

www.waterfordcityweather.com

I 'm not too far from Ferrybank. Not sure where exactly you are but we had a decent fall in December here too with snow for much of the day on a Sunday before Christmas leading to about 5 cm centimetres and lying snow until the Tuesday and a couple of centimetres again at the start of February. I'd say that this is up there as one of the snowiest years of my life. And that goes back to the 70's...

And, yes, you're right. Not bad so far. I didn't expect anything until later tonight.

• Advertisement

Never mind it’s snowing now lol

Annnnnnnnnnd it’s gone

Advertisement