Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

esposito wrote: »
    Just heard a clap of thunder in D16. We have thunder snow/graupel !

Hmmm. Didn't hear anything here (also D.16). Probably just somebody pouring empty cans into the wheelie bin. There are 20 points at stake for me here lads, keep wheelie bin noise to a minimum until Monday morning ffs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

jimbis wrote: »
    Seen the flash here in sandyford. Thundersnow is the best type of thunder :D

Sounds like a confirmation. Well in that case, let it thundersnow like it's never thundersnowed before! Radar is looking fairly juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Calibos wrote: »
    Was out moving our delivery vehicle and there was a very bright blue white flash behind me from the seafront direction (E) in Bray. So bright in fact that I thought it was a car with improperly fitted Xenon headlights, but when I turned there were no cars. Waited for the Thunder but it never came.

Who would have thought this thread would be so dead tonight of all nights. Combination of Snow fatigue after the recent event, ME not making a big deal of it and thus not as many people aware...and a lot of sore heads already in bed given the Day it is. :D

I suspect this thread will get mega busy when people get up -- tomorrow afternoon. :)

Rougies wrote: »
    Sounds like a confirmation. Well in that case, let it thundersnow like it's never thundersnowed before! Radar is looking fairly juicy.

Instead of an IOM shadow now the streamers are forming over the IOM.

You just can't beat 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That's a fairly decent shower that just passed through Dublin. Left a good bit of whiteness. Mostly still the graupely type though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I'm in Bray looking out the window towards the south Dublin skyline. Just saw a flash of lightning to my north west!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Should we panick buy some bread from a 24 hour shop......jusr in case ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Very heavy now . Let’s see how long it lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

That's a fairly decent shower that just passed through Dublin. Left a good bit of whiteness. Mostly still the graupely type though.

The type of precip we're getting here at the moment is almost identical to the night 'Emma' struck, time wise too. It's light and drifting slightly, but gaining strength.

*edit. BTW I know we're not in for them same blasting, it just has similar traits right now.

I wonder if there's such a thing as a B-N-I megastreamer? (Baltic-North-Irish)

It looks like that on satellite imagery, not saying any of it is super heavy but you can trace this activity back to Latvia without many breaks. And all along that track winds are roughly similar (ENE 60 to 100 km/hr).

• Advertisement

Real snow here now. No graupel. More of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Heavy snow now in Dublin 15 - Castleknock/Blanch-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Heavy stuff D11.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Densefog2008

Just indoors from the sheep shed. Very frequent snow showers last couple of hours , decent covering on the ground. Carlow/Kildare border

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

strange that I'm in the far west of Ireland looking on at the east but with no real indication of what is happening at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

This has been fairly paltry so far in Ringsend, only a dusting so far despite snow showers digging into other parts of the east coast for hours now. Hope it picks up later.

Gonzo wrote: »
    strange that I'm in the far west of Ireland looking on at the east but with no real indication of what is happening at home.

Don’t think your missing out on much nothing more than a patchy dusting in n Dublin so far.! I’ve seen more snow from the westerly than this (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bit of graupel in Lucan but it looks like we've escaped the worst of it so far. Going to bed now so in sure I'll wake up to a white-out! :D

Update: lightning over Dublin Bay :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Don’t think your missing out on much nothing more than a patchy dusting in n Dublin so far.! I’ve seen more snow from the westerly than this (so far)

I get the feeling this is very disappointing so far. No snow cover reports so far from anywhere in Ireland and even in the UK, nothing to report so far either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

We had approximately 1 inch of snow in Firhouse Dublin 24, would have thought it would have been more, but winning the Grand Slam really made my day, and snow sort of comes a distant second.......so proud of our rugby team!

Also I have NEVER heard/seen thunder snow....It's on my bucket list......

I get the feeling this is very disappointing so far. No snow cover reports so far from anywhere in Ireland and even in the UK, nothing to report so far either.

Not really disappointed given what we got a few weeks ago, snow at this time of year is special in itself, but as far as good spells go its nothing to write home about.

So far anyway, its now starting to come down heavy here. :D

Not really disappointed given what we got a few weeks ago, snow at this time of year is special in itself, but as far as good spells go its nothing to right home about.

So far anyway, its now starting to come down heavy here. :D

Same here, although they tend to be short lived

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EMPotatohands

2am and still nothing in Ballyer. I feel I’ll be waking up to greengrass in the morning. Didn’t even want more snow until the build up to this happened. Until next year snow (or maybe 8 years from now)

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Same here, although they tend to be short lived

Yeah, must be the strong wind. Tbh we were really treated a few weeks ago, the streamers then were basically continuous and it snowed consistently overnight on Tuesday into Wednesday. Not sure how common that is in reality, can anyone recall what it was like in 2010?

Moderate snow settling readily on the graupel. Showers all snow now.

Where the **** is this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EMPotatohands

2am and still nothing in Ballyer. I feel I’ll be waking up to greengrass in the morning. Didn’t even want more snow until the build up to this happened. Until next year snow (or maybe 8 years from now)

I’m an absolute liar. Ground is white right now. *never doubt boards eva*

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Does anyone think that we'll get much more snow tonight? Looking at rain today radar it seems pretty patchy......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I'm only 20 minutes from Dunshaughlin and can safely say you're not missing anything so far. Still just light grains and dust blowing about and not amounting to anything

Advertisement