Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 NFL Offseason Trades and Free Agent News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

mickeyk wrote: »
    Good day for the Browns, if they get the draft right they could be a very respectable team next year. They have lots of room in free agency too.

Taylor should be a good stop gap QB, didn’t see that coming. Wonder what the Bills are planning.

I assume they're on the phone to either the Giants or the Colts as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

phatkev wrote: »

Or could they be betting Lamar Jackson is still there when they are picking?

Genuinely intrigued by the Browns. I was thinking they should push for Landry but I never thought he’d actually go there. Thats a serious coup and should be a statement of intent that will draw more players. If Gordon has his head screwed on for 2018 they’ll be a lethal pair. Add Barkley, or any good RB and you have a really interesting offence, the line is already good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

phatkev wrote:

They do have the 21st and 22nd overall puck so they have some capital to move up. Those two picks alone are not enough to move up to 2nd or 3rd overall but should get them into the early teens where Jackson might be available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Packers have gotten an upgrade with their #2 QB for sure. I actually liked what he did last year for us but obviously the interceptions are a big problem having said that he was thrown into the deep end as a rookie & ive no doubt given a couple years behind one of the greatest he’ll turn out just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

letowski wrote: »
    They do have the 21st and 22nd overall puck so they have some capital to move up. Those two picks alone are not enough to move up to 2nd or 3rd overall but should get them into the early teens where Jackson might be available.

More like up to 1.5 with Denver - and they would have to throw in a third or fourth (or a second from next year) as well.

There are many QB needy teams and there will be a mad scramble for QBs in this draft - and it could well work its way down with the likes of Rudolph going a lot higher than projected.

• Advertisement

mickeyk wrote: »
    Good day for the Browns, if they get the draft right they could be a very respectable team next year. They have lots of room in free agency too.

Taylor should be a good stop gap QB, didn’t see that coming. Wonder what the Bills are planning.

The Bills are planning to take Barkley at 1.1

On top of that Jackson said he wouldn't start a rookie at QB.

More like up to 1.5 with Denver - and they would have to throw in a third or fourth (or a second from next year) as well.

why would they trade with Denver, 4 Qb's could be gone of the board by that stage. I'm going to assume they know the QB they want and by giving up Tyrod they're going to do everything in their power to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sherman meeting with the 49ers to discuss his recovery with the intention of getting a contract done if all checks out, per Schefter.

If that gets done the games against the Seahawks next year will be good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The Bills are planning to take Barkley at 1.1

On top of that Jackson said he wouldn't start a rookie at QB.

I knew they were in the market for a veteran QB but I hadn’t seen Taylors name mooted anywhere is what I meant.
    I thought they were going to try for Keenum or Foles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Browns trading again. Pats pick up Danny Shelton for a conditional pick

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    why would they trade with Denver, 4 Qb's could be gone of the board by that stage. I'm going to assume they know the QB they want and by giving up Tyrod they're going to do everything in their power to get him.

Not saying they would trade with Denver - I was saying that the trade being touted with Denver (and it has been) was Denver's 1.5 for Bills 1.20, 1.21 plus a third round pick. If they want to move higher it will cost more.

As for the 4 QBs being gone by 1.5 - very unlikely - Barkley and probably Chubb will go in the top four.

paulie21 wrote: »
    Browns trading again. Pats pick up Danny Shelton for a conditional pick

Surprised the Browns are shipping him, good move by the pats

Surprised at that trade.

Very nice pick up for New England at that price.

That means all 10 first round Cleveland picks from 2009-2015 are gone from the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Has Landry accepted a long term deal pre trade? I like the Browns trading for him but is it worth it if he will likely walk next year? Doubt he'd get tagged two seasons in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wait as long as I've been an NFL fan the browns have been a disaster. Isn't one of the signs of the apocalypse the Cleveland browns finding a QB and been competitive ? Being a QB for the browns is like being the drummer for spinal tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

John Dorsey isn’t f**king about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/972522653427949569

Great Deal for the Pats Browns get a 3rd round Pick in 2019 and Pats gets Shelton and a 2018 5th round pick

That's a shocking move from the Browns.

You'd think teams would have learned by now just to hang up when the Patriots call enquiring about their players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    That's a shocking move from the Browns.

You'd think teams would have learned by now just to hang up when the Patriots call enquiring about their players.

Was reading a little about this.The Browns have a younger DT with a much higher ceiling and longer left on his contract so seem to have been happy to get anything for Shelton.

Love the Browns moves, think Tyrod will be very good there next year. The Bills will quickly realise that they have made a huge mistake in dumping him. They have undermined him for the last 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Love the Browns moves, think Tyrod will be very good there next year. The Bills will quickly realise that they have made a huge mistake in dumping him. They have undermined him for the last 2 years.
    I don't rate Tyrod so highly. I could see what they were trying to do with the rookie; a terrible move though considering he was no where ready/capable.
    Taylor is ok, but if they have higher ambitions, they need to move on.
    They still have to get the right guy in the door, so if they don't do that, it'll be a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Isn't a third round pick a big enough price to pay for just a bridge QB? Is there any chance the Browns take Saquon Barkley at #1 and trade down from #4?

Things I never thought I'd see a few years ago.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/972636160529924096

Isn't a third round pick a big enough price to pay for just a bridge QB? Is there any chance the Browns take Saquon Barkley at #1 and trade down from #4?

The Browns will take Barkley at 1.1

Taylor is insurance - a steady starting calibre QB - any draft pick has to produce and the top four QBs on the board all have red flags. Any or all could be busts - Allen and Mayfield have higher ceilings but are also more likely to bust. When you have the cap space and the draft picks you cover your bases - and the Browns have been poor at drafting QBs.

So likely Barkley at 1.1 and a QB at 1.4 - probably Allen. The other teams in the top six who need QBs are Denver and the Jets - one of them could get Cousins. It is possible the Giants take a QB but a trade down (either with Denver of the Jets) is possible and then take Nelson. Chubb is likely a lock for the Colts and they won't risk a trade down because someone could jump them and take Chubb. The Bills now join the QB needy group in a big way and will have to trade 1.20 and 1.21 plus other picks to get into the top six.

The more I see the deal with Sherman the happier I am. I somewhat balked at the initial $39m total number over the 3 years but as usual the details are incredibly important, with this being heavily incentive based. Looks like Sherman has backed himself that he'll be elite coming back from injury and will be paid accordingly if he is. Everyone would be happy if that came to pass and even then he wouldn't be that expensive, especially with what he brings in veteran leadership which the team is lacking.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/972666964668747776

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sherman gone, Shields gone, Peters gone, Talib gone, Fuller tagged, our own slot guy traded off... GB better be able to get someone like Butler, Amukamara or Trumaine Johnson at this rate because it's beginning to look bleak for what was probably the worst performing CB corps in the league last year.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Sherman gone, Shields gone, Peters gone, Talib gone, Fuller tagged, our own slot guy traded off... GB better be able to get someone like Butler, Amukamara or Trumaine Johnson at this rate because it's beginning to look bleak for what was probably the worst performing CB corps in the league last year.

In all fairness billy all those players have question marks hanging over them and considering over cap situation you can’t expect them to break the bank on cb when there is allot of restructuring to do. Apparently allot of the veteran players wanted Randall cut after the bears game and rumor has it we hoping to get Johnson but that will come at a cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Oh I get that, but GB have a guy with 9 career games at CB and... well that's about it, really. A few OK 4th/5th type options, but this is not a situation that can be addressed in the draft due to how little experience we have there already. I reckon we'll see cap space open up from cutting/restructuring Matthews, likely cutting Bulaga, resigning Rodgers (less cap hit right now) and getting rid of one of Nelson/Cobb to take us from about $17mn to $45mn(ish) so don't think that should be such a big issue.

Randall going isn't the biggest tragedy by any stretch, it's just worrying with the sheer lack of anything we have there now. I like Josh Jones and our depth at safety, which makes me curious if one of them might be earmarked for the slot role.

That said, Sam Shields was a real head scratcher unless he just didn't want to come back to GB. He is likely on a cheap 'prove it' deal too, as they picked up Peters and Talib at the same time.

Sam shields won’t make it past the preseason I think he shouldn’t have came back and the Green Bay medics must think his too high risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I hope the Packers sign Nevin Lawson to a massive deal, like 20m a year or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

EJ Gaines is a excellent CB thats also in the FA. Had a great year with the Bills, i think PFF had him ranked 12th of all the CBs.

Advertisement