Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wonder what the story is with Ryan Tubridy's obsession with school.

Last week and he was speaking to a woman who spent time in prison with Myra Hindley and Charles Bronson. He asked the woman did she (or someone else maybe) feel about Bronson, "the way a teacher feels about a student who is a messer but whom she really has a soft spot for". This is an utterly stupid and pointless comparison to make in a conversation about life in prison. This morning he was comparing the Late Late Valentine's audience to a kids at a school assembly.

Anytime I hear him he seems to be saying that someone is "acting the maggot at the back of the class". Does he think it's funny or charming or something? Is he emotionally stunted in some way and is psychologically stuck in 6th class?! Maybe he'd have been a primary teacher if there wasn't such a culture of nepotism in RTE.

He fairly baffled Jack black with "were you the class clown?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Does Ryan have an infinite supply of these middle class knobends to come on every week and tell us their boring life story about living with some made up First World "condition" like social anxiety or whatever?

This woman's voice is infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

A grown man who is obsessed with school and describes everything as either "bonkers", "peculiar" or "curious" can only be described as a knob really.

He was also on about how this years late late valentine's special was brilliant because it was "the right side of bonkers". This was obviously an attempt to distance himself from last years show when Al Porter was doing his usual "give us a go of your cóck" routine. Funny thing is, last year Tubridy was going on about how gas the whole thing was.

What an utter weed this fella is.

He needs to open a never land ranch

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Aah heeeyur, stop throwing shade at poor Tubs.

Harmless geezer.Let the lad watch his box sets in peace.

• Advertisement

Aah heeeyur, stop throwing shade at poor Tubs.

Harmless geezer.Let the lad watch his box sets in peace.

He's a bleedin sap is what he is! Deserves a good slaggin.
    :pac:

He's the only presenter in living history whose boards thread just fizzled out... That's pretty damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

He's the only presenter in living history whose boards thread just fizzled out... That's pretty damning.

It's true. I find that I have gone from hating the sight of him to just total indifference. Now I just avoid him/RTE as much as possible. He is not going to change, RTE are not going to change, so I just focus on things I like.

BTW someone I know sat beside him in a coffee shop recently and eavesdropped on his conversation with a tall, short-haired woman, and he is a dry ****e in real life too apparently. She played with her phone, while he spoke about the new Meryll Streep/Tom Hanks film "The Post". At least he is consistently dull :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭plodder

He did a good interview this morning with a woman who has written a book on her experience of eating disorders. She seemed nervous, but he directed the interview quite well and got the information out of her without it being cringey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Bragging about how great his crew were to come in during the snow and basically telling us how great he and the programme was too.

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    Bragging about how great his crew were to come in during the snow and basically telling us how great he and the programme was too.

He probably got helicoptered in from his mansion a few miles away, sure f*Ck the cost, what's another few grand!? Especially when it's for something as essential as interviewing people off the street about their experience in the audience of the late late show 30 years ago.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Look, I wouldn’t beat him up for that.

Seems every twat on the internet wanted to bang their own drum on this.

Yes there was great work done, yes it is appreciated, but for fuhhrks sake some of the fluff being posted was way over the top.

Everybody bigging up their employees so as not to be seen as not caring.

Bit childish really.

Get on with it, its part of your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

.....BTW someone I know sat beside him in a coffee shop recently and eavesdropped on his conversation with a tall, short-haired woman, and he is a dry ****e in real life too apparently. She played with her phone, while he spoke about the new Meryll Streep/Tom Hanks film "The Post". At least he is consistently dull :)

What complete utter rubbish.

Somebody you know was so bored they eavesdropped on a private conversation between 2 other people.

Your eavesdropper may have only got a small part of the conversation.

Can you confirm that the tall, short haired woman was not a reporter using her phone to take notes or record an interview with Tubs?

What’s the relevance of the phone anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭hawley

He was interviewing Alannah Beirne on yesterday morning's programme, when he tried to get her get her to give examples of being discriminated against because of her height. It was like he was trying to attach it to the metoo movement. He kept asking her about it and she was trying to laugh it off. Then he got a text from a short guy who said that most women dismiss him because of his height, but Tubridy said that he couldn't believe that and that women would never behave like that.

Another one I found funny today was him using the word "Trumpy" to describe a father who punished his kid by making him run to school.

Every single thing must be now compared to Donald Trump, no matter how irrelevant, and referred to as "Trumpy" or "Trump like" or maybe even "Trump-esque".

Either that or stuff has to be compared to school. Those are the two points of reference for everything in existence.

I cant wait til Trump is no longer president - not because the world will be a better place or anythin - just so Ryan Tubridy will shut up talking about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I wonder what the story is with Ryan Tubridy's obsession with school.

Last week and he was speaking to a woman who spent time in prison with Myra Hindley and Charles Bronson. He asked the woman did she (or someone else maybe) feel about Bronson, "the way a teacher feels about a student who is a messer but whom she really has a soft spot for". This is an utterly stupid and pointless comparison to make in a conversation about life in prison. This morning he was comparing the Late Late Valentine's audience to a kids at a school assembly.

Anytime I hear him he seems to be saying that someone is "acting the maggot at the back of the class". Does he think it's funny or charming or something? Is he emotionally stunted in some way and is psychologically stuck in 6th class?! Maybe he'd have been a primary teacher if there wasn't such a culture of nepotism in RTE.

Just on the school reference to further back up your point on the obsession is the collecting of school memorabilia.
    https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/you-have-to-be-honest-about-what-you-did-tubridy-warned-on-last-nights-late-late-show-challenge-36690242.html

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Just on the school reference to further back up your point on the obsession is the collecting of school memorabilia.
    https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/you-have-to-be-honest-about-what-you-did-tubridy-warned-on-last-nights-late-late-show-challenge-36690242.html

I know :D:D:D:D:D!!! I thought the same when I saw this. It's gas but very unsurprising.

He must be emotionally stunted to be so obsessed with this kind of thing.

Think about it, a man in his mid 40s absolutely OBSESSED with school. Obsessed. It really is absurd the amount of time he spends referencing school life.

What an odd, odd person he is.

He's 44 with a few kids.... Imagine your Da carrying on like that, getting excited as f*ck about school.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Maybe he was bullied at school. Not outside the realms of possibility I would suggest. Therefore the obsession. Also the Trump thing is just a reflection of the media bubble he lives in where everyone shares the same opinions.......or else!

Yeah, being the way he is he mustve been bullied.

But it's weird cos he seems to LOVE school. Would someone who was bullied not hate school?! It excites him to talk about packed lunches, learning Irish, school uniforms, school books, class "messers", school trips, the leaving cert, etc, etc. And now it transpires that an old style school desk is his pride and joy!? Whenever I hear this stuff I just think to myself "Would you ever grow a pair of balls" .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

But it's weird cos he seems to LOVE school. Would someone who was bullied not hate school?! It excites him to talk about packed lunches, learning Irish, school uniforms, school books, class "messers", school trips, the leaving cert, etc, etc. And now it transpires that an old style school desk is his pride and joy!? .

Is it not just that he thinks that nostalgia makes good radio in the same way that tv producers thought "I LOVE THE 80s" made good tv.

There's no depth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Heard the peomo for today's show: "We talk to actor Rex Ryan about life on and off the stage". I was thinking who is Rex Ryan and then the penny dropped - this is RTE so time for a free plug for another member of Gerry Ryan's family. That's if he doesn't cream himself over Kate Midleton having a baby, given how much he loves the baby subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

whats he acted in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 doherlisa

Love listening to Ryan on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

In fairness Rex came across alright. But Ryan had to Keep harping on about Gerry an his being dead a la Joe Duffy fishing for tears. Even when the interview was over he brought up Gerry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

"I read this book over the weekend. I read that book over the weekend".
    Did the man every read a book about TV presenting? And I don't mean that in a harsh way but he could do with reading a few books to skill himself up a bit.

Books books books
    Trump Trump Trump.

Rinse and repeat

sligojoek wrote: »
    Books books books
    Trump Trump Trump.

Rinse and repeat

I noticed recently how he's launching into sporadic little Trump impressions every morning. Every few sentences he suddenly speaks in a Trump voice. It's nauseating.

"Lets see what's happening in Trumpton."

It took him 13 minutes today. He's slipping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,264 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Is Ryan aware that the majority of people listening at this time will be stay-at-home Mums who have just finished the school run.

Books and health issues, granted. But the odds that they are even remotely interested in US politics is slim to none.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement