Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options
1271272273274275277»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He dropped the ball there when he said he would have no compassion for the homeless man who died and wouldn’t have bothered speaking to him if he met him.

Not very beautiful, Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Pontificating about the death of a homeless man he saw every day for 20 odd years and never spoke to.
    "He had a name."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

After Marian Finucane died, didn't he say on the LLS "I didn't really know her that well", despite him working in RTE with her for about 20 years.

He must be a bit rare, and doesn't talk to folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Email from Nurse in UK, allegedly written on Saturday (when Johnson made his address to the UK).

Said Nurse is no longer coming "home" for Christmas.

Would said nurse have restricted his/her movements for 14 days on arrival, had he/she come home? Christmas would have been over by the time he/she would have been free to circulate.

Fake.

This from 21st December.

Pity, when asked by a texter why our Covid infection rates are so high now, Tubridy didn't acknowledge his and RTE's role in rabble rousing about the request for people not to return to Ireland for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Seargent Toyman of the Irish Dignity Brigade wants to be at the top of the queue for the vaccine.

I didn’t hear it but can’t imagine Tubs imagining himself as a lowly Sargent......I’d assume Major or Brigadier General would be the lowest rank he’d see himself in, rallying the troops with kindness and book suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

NIMAN wrote: »
    After Marian Finucane died, didn't he say on the LLS "I didn't really know her that well", despite him working in RTE with her for about 20 years.

He must be a bit rare, and doesn't talk to folk?

She only went into RTE as weekends for much of her career

He didn’t work at weekends or was off premises.

Is it possible that that actually was the reason.

Seargent Toyman of the Irish Dignity Brigade wants to be at the top of the queue for the vaccine.

Sickened me when he grudgingly said he'd have to go to the back of the queue. Yep, Ryan, you thought you'd be bearing an arm on LLS. It wouldn't have surprised me had some private clinic afforded him a spare vaccine from the Bolli chill cabinet, it would be classic. Should be for people who interact with patients first, elderly and people with serious conditions next. My GP still waiting. Let entertainers & people sitting at desks etc form an orderly queue behind. But of course let all get vaccinated ASAP, so, dear HSE, keep the queue moving fast.

Sickened me when he grudgingly said he'd have to go to the back of the queue. Yep, Ryan, you thought you'd be bearing an arm on LLS. It wouldn't have surprised me had some private clinic afforded him a spare vaccine from the Bolli chill cabinet, it would be classic. Should be for people who interact with patients first, elderly and people with serious conditions next. My GP still waiting. Let entertainers & people sitting at desks etc form an orderly queue behind. But of course let all get vaccinated ASAP, so, dear HSE, keep the queue moving fast.

Well the Beacon are in need of some positive publicity after failing to don the green jersey, so maybe the can spare one for the country’s greatest ever hero in exchange for some kind words and perhaps a feature on instatubridy?

She only went into RTE as weekends for much of her career

He didn’t work at weekends or was off premises.

Is it possible that that actually was the reason.

True, but I suspect Marian saw through him and avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Well the Beacon are in need of some positive publicity after failing to don the green jersey, so maybe the can spare one for the country’s greatest ever hero in exchange for some kind words and perhaps a feature on instatubridy?

It would be just like the hospital Leo Varadkar's partner works in, owned by Dinny O'B, to let a celebrity jump the queue.

They're currently holding out for more money before they will agree to provide extra capacity to the public hospitals.

• Advertisement

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    It would be just like the hospital Leo Varadkar's partner works in, owned by Dinny O'B, to let a celebrity jump the queue.

They're currently holding out for more money before they will agree to provide extra capacity to the public hospitals

I am fully aware of all of that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have yet to see anybody tell us why they enjoy this show...

Its because there are no reasons...

There is absolutely nothing that Tubridy offers that no one else cant replicate as evidenced for the last few weeks.

Tubridys "winning" formula of self indulgent waffle, ad breaks, random music, ad breaks, sob story, ad breaks, freebies, plugs and preaching can all be done for ALOT cheaper if thats what you are into....

So please give us reasons why you like the show?

Plenty have. But people are discouraged from posting.

I have noticed. Anyone who does give remotely positive/sincere reasons is ran out of the thread, or has to suffer posts such as one of the following:

"Is that you Ryan?
    Cool Story Bro...
    Are you serious, I can't tell if you are trolling?"

Etc etc...

Yet you seem shocked why people are not bothered posting on this thread?
    Fine if people want to create a parody, but let's not pretend that there is no one who does not like the show.

When you consider there are approximately 365,000 people who listen to the show which actually increased listenership in 2019 a non covid year. You have to consider that this thread is in the minority.

Just because a thread has 30 or less hardcore people on this thread who have a hatred for a show does not mean, it is a valid sample size. However, highly such people think of themselves.
    If people don't like it don't listen. If people don't like the show and still listen, I suggest there is an agenda there.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Does this count as asking for a freebie? I didn't hear the show so can't comment eitherway.

I have noticed. Anyone who does give remotely positive reasons is ran out of the thread, or has to suffer posts such as one of the following:

"Is that you Ryan?
    Cool Story Bro...
    Are you serious I can't tell if you are trolling?"

Etc etc...

Fine if people want to create a parody, but let's not pretend that there is none who does not like the show.

Considering there are approximately 365,000 people who listen to the show which actually Increased listenership in 2019 a non covid year.

Just because a thread has 30 or less hardcore people on this thread who have a hatred for a show does not mean, it is a valid sample size. However, highly such people think of themselves.

So because you don't like what is being said you can invalidate the whole thread? Your sample (n = 1) is significantly smaller than the one you're criticising btw.

Even if you are a fan of the show surely you'd agree the freebies thing has gotten way out of hand and is inappropriate? Or do you?

And again, even if you like the show, surely you can't simply dismiss every criticism of him, the show, and his presenting style as being invalid. Or again, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A tubridy thread without criticism is a very very baron place

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So because you don't like what is being said you can invalidate the whole thread? Your sample (n = 1) is significantly smaller than the one you're criticising btw.

Even if you are a fan of the show surely you'd agree the freebies thing has gotten way out of hand and is inappropriate? Or do you?

And again, even if you like the show, surely you can't simply dismiss every criticism of him, the show, and his presenting style as being invalid. Or again, do you?

The moderator has already told me in PM that the thread has become a parody thread. I already suggested in the help desk that the thread title include the word 'parody' in the interests of the more sincere poster, who does not get the vibe of the thread.

You enjoy the parody aspect you hate the show you are the one of the main drivers of the parody. You enjoy it in that odd sense, fair enough.

My point is that the thread should not pretend to be what it is its not. A sincere commentary on the show. It is sneering, belittling, jealousy laden, petty, parody thread. Tubridy drug references and so on.

When people come in and sincerely comment on the show they are basically laughed out of it. Which such retorts as 'cool story bro' for example. The freebies thing has already been discussed and I have given my opinion on it.
    Unlike you I do not like going around in circles.

I think if people do not like the show yet feel the need to listen and constantly belittle and sneer. They should step back and take a long hard look at themselves and their motivations. That is all I have to say about it.

You seem to imply I am somehow 'invalidating' you personally or something as if your whole identity of self is tied up in this thread.
    I am merely saying from the outside looking in it appears odd, with no sincerity, with a nasty edge. How can that be healthy?

Over and out - I will leave you to it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The moderator has already told me in PM that the thread has become a parody thread. I already suggested in the help desk that the thread title include the word 'parody' in the interests of the more sincere poster, who does not get the vibe of the thread.

You enjoy the parody aspect you hate the show you are the one of the main drivers of the parody. You enjoy it in that odd sense, fair enough.

My point is that the thread should not pretend to be what it is its not. A sincere commentary on the show. It is sneering, belittling, jealousy laden, petty, parody thread. Tubridy drug references and so on.

When people come in and sincerely comment on the show they are basically laughed out of it. Which such retorts as 'cool story bro' for example. The freebies thing has already been discussed and I have given my opinion on it.

I think if people do not like the show yet feel the need to listen and constantly belittle and sneer. They should step back and take a long hard look at themselves and their motivations. That is all I have to say about it.

You seem to imply I am somehow 'invalidating' you personally or something as if your whole identity of self is tied up in this thread.
    I am merely saying from the outside looking in it appears odd, with no sincerity, with a nasty edge. How can that be healthy?

WTAF? They're some leaps you've made there. Why is that defenders of presenters always resort to personal comments defending their heroes?

Hi everyone,
    I’m a 7ft trucker from Wexford dancing around the kitchen to this mornings bops and today’s show truly proved that our Ryan is the Irish paxman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I didn’t hear it but can’t imagine Tubs imagining himself as a lowly Sargent......I’d assume Major or Brigadier General would be the lowest rank he’d see himself in, rallying the troops with kindness and book suggestions.

Good shout caller. In the spirit of having an Irish version of English things I am promoting Ryan to "Cheif Messer Toyman of the Irish Dignity Brigade."

Joking aside his tone earlier would make me lean towards the offer of taking an early vaccine live on air as being motivated by self interest rather than trying to encourage people on the uptake, which was the assumed motivation given the benefit of the doubt. Not a sincere bone in his body.

Have you actually made a positive comment on the show yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Good points, Ryan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Good shout caller. In the spirit of having an Irish version of English things I am promoting Ryan to "Cheif Messer Toyman of the Irish Dignity Brigade."

Joking aside his tone earlier would make me lean towards the offer of taking an early vaccine live on air as being motivated by self interest rather than trying to encourage people on the uptake, which was the assumed motivation given the benefit of the doubt. Not a sincere bone in his body.

On the lookout for just another freebie, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Hi everyone,
    I’m a 7ft trucker from Wexford dancing around the kitchen to this mornings bops and today’s show truly proved that our Ryan is the Irish paxman.

Bullshlt. If you were listening this morning then you would have been bawling your eyes out and dancing around the kitchen.

I have noticed. Anyone who does give remotely positive/sincere reasons is ran out of the thread, or has to suffer posts such as one of the following:

"Is that you Ryan?
    Cool Story Bro...
    Are you serious, I can't tell if you are trolling?"

Etc etc...

Fine if people want to create a parody, but let's not pretend that there is no one who does not like the show.

When you consider there are approximately 365,000 people who listen to the show which actually increased listenership in 2019 a non covid year. You have to consider that this thread is in the minority.

If people don't like it don't listen. If people don't like the show and still listen, I suggest there is an agenda there.

You have actually made a very good suggestion here. This thread won't be that long in coming to its conclusion and will need a replacement. Have you ever looked at the Liveline threads with their tongue-in-cheek titles as suggested by posters? To keep everybody absolutely happy I suggest a trial of two parallel Ryan Tubridy Show threads, one intended for serious reflective posting on the topics raised in the show, and a second with a clearly tongue-in-cheek title which would make it entirely clear that it is more in the tone which has been popular with many posters here and indeed which reflects Ryan's tone of joviality which permeates his show. As a mod I do snip anything suggesting any impropriety which I see, and I would urge anybody to *report* posts that remain in snipped as that is how better they will be seen by mods who do not always follow the show or thread etc. Why not see how it works out? Neither thread should then be criticised for its style of posting because they would reflect different aspects. I would ask everybody to respect either thread for what it is.

Ok, this way to A thread in Appreciation of the Ryan Tubridy Radio Show. Please do not post if it is not genuinely in appreciation of the show & read the rules in the OP:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058149300/1/#post115897990

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I unfollowed the thread some time ago though I wouldn't describe myself as being run out of it.

It just became more and more like the the Liveline Panto Thread.

I look in now and again and that's how I happened on this point of discussion this evening.

As far as I'm concerned carry on as you are. I don't get it but that's just me.

If you think it's worth splitting into two threads I'll give it a go, if not no worries.

Going to close this thread shortly. For those who wish to take the more wry look at the show, this way:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058149307/1/#post115898166

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement