Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I’ll use a relative statement here - he’s better than Joe Duffy.

And if you think Tubs has an unhealthy interest in death & misery, just one hour of listening to the Grief Vampire himself will leave you thinking Tubs is the happiest man in Ireland.

I know what you mean but I'd even take Duffy over him to be honest.

It's telling when such relative statements are needed to justify Tubridy - "at least he's not as bad as XYZ".

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I know what you mean but I'd even take Duffy over him to be honest.

It's telling when such relative statements are needed to justify Tubridy - "at least he's not as bad as XYZ".

You clearly don't listen to Duffy that much then!

Join us on Da Lahv Lahn Thread sometime caller and you'll see the light....so to speak.

thanks for the invitation. I might take you up on that. But if you are proven correct and Duffy depresses me more than Tubridy, I'll forever hold it against you for opening my eyes to it!

thanks for the invitation. I might take you up on that. But if you are proven correct and Duffy depresses me more than Tubridy, I'll forever hold it against you for opening my eyes to it!

Looking forward to you joining in. I hope you're fluent in de auld Dubalinese and dat now as you'll need it........;):pac:

Looking forward to you joining in. I hope you're fluent in de auld Dubalinese and dat now as you'll need it........;):pac:

born and raised in Tallaght, I was. Sure it's me mudder tongue!! :D:D

• Advertisement

born and raised in Tallaght, I was. Sure it's me mudder tongue!! :D:D

Tallaght? You might be too posh for Joe......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Very, very self indulgent ( as he admitted) in reading out his own letters he wrote as a young boy to his father when he was away on holiday.

Now why would you do that except to simply promote yourself. I didn't think the programme was about HIM and his life but about others. How wrong I was. There's a strong stench of entitlement about these types of people. These types being 'broadcasters' who forget that they are part of a public service but instead like to bask in their own ego.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Very, very self indulgent ( as he admitted) in reading out his own letters he wrote as a young boy to his father when he was away on holiday.

Now why would you do that except to simply promote yourself. I didn't think the programme was about HIM and his life but about others. How wrong I was. There's a strong stench of entitlement about these types of people. These types being 'broadcasters' who forget that they are part of a public service but instead like to bask in their own ego.

nail on the head there.

didnt hear the show but sounds like the time he read out a letter from himself to.................. HIMSELF (as a 15 year old)! :D

edit: I think he actually read out the letter on two separate occasions.

nail on the head there.

didnt hear the show but sounds like the time he read out a letter from himself to.................. HIMSELF (as a 15 year old)!

edit: I think he actually read out the letter on two separate occasions.

It was when he was in the Gaeltacht as a young fellow. I think he was trying to concoct an innocent and maybe frugal life back then. But he comes from a well off family.

The Thai boys were the ones who captured the hearts of people with their letters. No artifice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bit harsh there Robert, as a well respected mod said to me recently, but that aside, that comment is a bit over the top.

The lad was just articulating the change from those days to now.

No harm there.

• Advertisement

Bit harsh there Robert, as a well respected mod said to me recently, but that aside, that comment is a bit over the top.

The lad was just articulating the change from those days to now.

No harm there.

It was pure self promotion. If he wanted to contrast the past with the present, he has researchers to source all of that to include other people's experience.

I like Turbridy. He's intelligent and literate. But I am not naive enough to think that this was anything else but about him. Maybe he wants listeners feedback on how poignant it was. All of a sudden he'll find a box of old letters. And hey presto! A book is on the way. He does refer to time he spends writing. In fact, I'd bet my bottom dollar that we haven't heard the last of this charade.

It was pure self promotion. If he wanted to contrast the past with the present, he has researchers to source all of that to include other people's experience.

I like Turbridy. He's intelligent and literate. But I am not naive enough to think that this was anything else but about him. Maybe he wants listeners feedback on how poignant it was. All of a sudden he'll find a box of old letters. And hey presto! A book is on the way. He does refer to time he spends writing. In fact, I'd bet my bottom dollar that we haven't heard the last of this charade.

I think you are making too big a deal on this, Bobby.

It was, as Damien Duff might say, for me, just a piece of nostalgia and basically a filler for a light programme.

I think you hat is on a bit too tight.

I think you are making too big a deal on this, Bobby.

Each to their own. But remember. When Turbridy has secured the rights to his new book-

'Letters from the West Coast-a child's exploration of what the Gaelteacht was really like"

- you will remember where you heard about it first.

Each to their own. But remember. When Turbridy has secured the rights to his new book-

'Letters from the West Coast-a child's exploration of what the Gaelteacht was really like"

- you will remember where you heard about it first.

I may not last that long Bobby, but if I do, I will ensure you are mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Red Fred

The car radio was on RTE 1 when I got in this morning so heard Tubs relate the story of his trip to the library yesterday. Apparently there was a man there doing a crossword and using his phone for help.

His keypad sounds were turned on so there was a clicking sound with every key he pressed. Tubs said he was tempted to say something to him but decided not to be a grump. More likely he didn't fancy a punch in the face.

Not sure if Tubs was more disgusted by the clicking sounds or at the fact that the guy was googling the answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The fact that he was using a smartphone t all was enough to get Tubbs's gander up.

sligojoek wrote: »
    The fact that he was using a smartphone t all was enough to get Tubbs's gander up.

Tubs would want me to tell you it’s ‘dander’

I’m quite sure he would, so don’t blame me.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Tubs would want me to tell you it’s ‘dander’

By jove you're right!!

His radio show consists of him talking utter jibberish for about 40 minutes, before proceeding to ask some poor interviewee about what terrible illness they or their family have suffered, even if the interview is not about illness.

Yes that's it. That's what make me switch off. All this prattle, prattle, prattle. Like an auld Auntie gibbering on. Who's interested in his ramblings?
    Just get on with the programme.

Jaysus, recounting his trips to the library is he? Riveting, compelling material there.

He is obsessed with letting people know what a big reader he is, how much he loves books and how important he thinks they are for kids. It's just rubbish. No insight. No substance. Repeating stock phrases and popular opinions thinking he sounds like some sort of intellectual. As if nobody else ever read a book in their lives and was unaware of the benefits of reading. It's nauseating to listen to - over and over and over and over. "Like an auld auntie gibbering on", as the last post said.

It would be a lot easier to dismiss if he were some part-timer on the graveyard shift. But he's being pushed forward as if he were some sort of star, given prime-time slots and half a mil per year to rattle on about utter sh*te.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, recounting his trips to the library is he? Riveting, compelling material there.

He is obsessed with letting people know what a big reader he is, how much he loves books and how important he thinks they are for kids. It's just rubbish. No insight. No substance. Repeating stock phrases and popular opinions thinking he sounds like some sort of intellectual. As if nobody else ever read a book in their lives and was unaware of the benefits of reading. It's nauseating to listen to - over and over and over and over. "Like an auld auntie gibbering on", as the last post said.

It would be a lot easier to dismiss if he were some part-timer on the graveyard shift. But he's being pushed forward as if he were some sort of star, given prime-time slots and half a mil per year to rattle on about utter sh*te.

Just because you don’t like that kind of stuff,doesn’t mean others don’t.

RTE R1 isn’t aimed at your specific interests, you have to realize that, pal.

Let’s get realistic here.

Just because you don’t like that kind of stuff,doesn’t mean others don’t.

RTE R1 isn’t aimed at your specific interests, you have to realize that, pal.

Let’s get realistic here.

Tell me, who likes nonsensical self-involved rambling? Seriously, who does this appeal to? Do you think Ryan Tubridy deserves his 500k per year? I've yet to meet anyone that thinks so, which is what baffles me about his ongoing presence on RTE's flagship shows. I think that many people just watch RTE out of habit and you could get anyone in there to do what he does.

Of course progammes have their target audiences and wont appeal to all, but there must also be some sort of accepted standard when it comes to quality. Do you honestly believe that the Ryan Tubridy show is quality listening? If so, I think you're the one who needs to be realistic here. However, I would guess that rather than being some big Tubridy fan, you have some connection with RTE.

Tell me, who likes nonsensical self-involved rambling? Seriously, who does this appeal to? Do you think Ryan Tubridy deserves his 500k per year? I've yet to meet anyone that thinks so, which is what baffles me about his ongoing presence on RTE's flagship shows. I think that many people just watch RTE out of habit and you could get anyone in there to do what he does.

Of course progammes have their target audiences and wont appeal to all, but there must also be some sort of accepted standard when it comes to quality. Do you honestly believe that the Ryan Tubridy show is quality listening? If so, I think you're the one who needs to be realistic here. However, I would guess that rather than being some big Tubridy fan, you have some connection with RTE.

Wind your neck in, big man-please.

Settle down

The 09-10 slot on RTE1 has always been a ‘pull back’ from the MI hard news to the 10-12 slot of fairly hard news and current affairs.

I think the Tubridy show fills that slot very well, not great, not excellent, but generally good, light, human interest, softish.

Tubridy annoys me with his ‘obsession’ with box sets and stuff but I think he is quite adequate and entertIning in that slot.

Wind your neck in, big man-please.

Settle down

The 09-10 slot on RTE1 has always been a ‘pull back’ from the MI hard news to the 10-12 slot of fairly hard news and current affairs.

I think the Tubridy show fills that slot very well, not great, not excellent, but generally good, light, human interest, softish.

Tubridy annoys me with his ‘obsession’ with box sets and stuff but I think he is quite adequate and entertIning in that slot.

Settle down? Good man.

I'm simply stating the truth about what is a sh*t presenter who pretty much embodies the cronyism and nepotism of RTE. You cant defend him so you try to make me out to be "unsettled"? Well, that's telling.

You are the poster who most defends this guy and even at that you can only suggest that he's "adequate"? Even if you are right and we accept he's adequate - do you think adequate is enough to warrant a 500k per annum salary?

Again, care to confirm your connection to RTE, "big man"? :D:D

p.s. he's not adequate. He's sh*t.:D

Settle down? Good man.

I'm simply stating the truth about what is a sh*t presenter who pretty much embodies the cronyism and nepotism of RTE. You cant defend him so you try to make me out to be "unsettled"? Well, that's telling.

You are the poster who most defends this guy and even at that you can only suggest that he's "adequate"? Even if you are right and we accept he's adequate - do you think adequate is enough to warrant a 500k per annum salary?

Again, care to confirm your connection to RTE, "big man"? :D:D

p.s. he's not adequate. He's sh*t.:D

Buddy, I’m not making you out to be unsettled, and I am not defending him, merely rebutting the rubbish you are coming out with.

I am merely suggesting that the fact that YOU don’t like him,doesn’t mean that nobody else does.

The salary issue is of your making and I think all presenters on RTÉ radio are grossly overpaid.

I have zero connection with RTE just have a connection with fair and reasonable criticism, something you appear to have little connection with.

Buddy, I’m not making you out to be unsettled, and I am not defending him, merely rebutting the rubbish you are coming out with.

I am merely suggesting that the fact that YOU don’t like him,doesn’t mean that nobody else does.

The salary issue is of your making and I think all presenters on RTÉ radio are grossly overpaid.

I have zero connection with RTE just have a connection with fair and reasonable criticism, something you appear to have little connection with.

Yes you are defending him. You've already stated that on this thread.

Your argument that Tubridy is simply 'not to my personal taste' is incorrect too. There are many programmes on RTE that are not to my taste and I don't criticize them. By the same token, there are programmes on RTE radio that I enjoy. For example, I like John Creedon's show. So it is not the case the RTE simply isnt for me.

What I'm talking about with Tubridy is the lack of quality by any standards. You argue that I am not engaging in reasonable criticism, but I have given you several examples of interviews that have been nothing short of catastrophic. You, on the other hand, have failed to back up your defense of Tubridy with any solid facts. You just resort to "its a matter of taste". So it is you who is being unreasonable. You suggested that Tubridy "gets the most out of interviews" and "is relaxed". This is so far from the truth it's ludicrous.

The salary issue is not of my making, either. This fella is being paid 500k per annum for public service broadcasting. It's a ludicrous sum of money for even the most competent of professionals to be earning, let alone some professional wimp - and he is a professional wimp - to be raking in thanks to having a few family connections. It's sickening to be honest. We are churning out journalists and media graduates who cant get a look in anywhere, whilst Tubridy and co are sitting pretty thanks to their connections.

I don't believe you have zero connection with RTE either. Not for one second.

Your argument that Tubridy is simply 'not to my personal taste' is incorrect too. There are many programmes on RTE that are not to my taste and I don't criticize them. By the same token, there are programmes on RTE radio that I enjoy. For example, I like John Creedon's show. So it is not the case the RTE simply isnt for me.

What I'm talking about with Tubridy is the lack of quality by any standards. You argue that I am not engaging in reasonable criticism, but I have given you several examples of interviews that have been nothing short of catastrophic. You, on the other hand, have failed to back up your defense of Tubridy with any solid facts. You just resort to "its a matter of taste". So it is you who is being unreasonable. You suggested that Tubridy "gets the most out of interviews" and "is relaxed". This is so far from the truth it's ludicrous.

The salary issue is not of my making, either. This fella is being paid 500k per annum for public service broadcasting. It's a ludicrous sum of money for even the most competent of professionals to be earning, let alone some professional wimp - and he is a professional wimp - to be raking in thanks to having a few family connections. It's sickening to be honest. We are churning out journalists and media graduates who cant get a look in anywhere, whilst Tubridy and co are sitting pretty thanks to their connections.

Right so, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that's 100% correct sir, if i could say one positive thing about tubs it would be he's probably at "his" creative peak right now. it only took 10 years and millions of euro. its the private sector equivalent of hiring somebody incompetent and keeping them in the job to save face and then 10 years later when they finally settle into the role saying "told ya he'd be grand".

• Registered Users Posts: 72,251 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

If Ryan was talking to Steve Lillywhite right now, the interview would focus entirely on Kirsty MacColl’s death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If Ryan was talking to Steve Lillywhite right now, the interview would focus entirely on Kirsty MacColl’s death.

Steve is some man to name drop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement