Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I can't see there much of a bidding war for his radio services.

It's like they realise that he is crap so they keep him on the bench, but they dont want to sell him in case he becomes a success somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Just heard ryan saying he can't understand why a lady with one arm is having trouble getting a blue parking badge. Maybe it's because she can walk 10 miles.

Who else does he think should get the disabled parking badge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Expunge wrote:
    I was astonished at the amount of faffing about, rawmaishing and rambling about any old thing. Tony Bennett and how well he wears a suit being one thing that sticks in my mind.

This is called ME time. Listen to me. Self promotion. Talking just to be heard. It annoys me intensely. He clearly likes the sound of his own voice. He is aping Wogan here. Just rambling on to seek attention. I rarely listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Expunge wrote: »
    I was astonished at the amount of faffing about, rawmaishing and rambling about any old thing. Tony Bennett and how well he wears a suit being one thing that sticks in my mind.

There was a lot of talk about stuff he likes - crooners, Grace Kelly and some old movie she was in etc. etc.

Then this was followed by him reading a letter to his sixteen year old self, which he did a few years back for some charidee or other.

He said something to the effect that the 'team' reckoned that it was a good idea to do it on the show that morning!

Then music. And that accounted for about half an hour of the slot.

I was a bit shocked that this was the standard of fare. I thought we had moved on a bit from 'things I like' by Ryan Tubridy.

Couldnt agree more, although I don't find the quality of the show surprising. I heard it a couple of times this week and it's diabolical. He only has an hour to fill and much of it is pure waffle. "Things I like" is exactly it. The whole young fogey persona is really off-putting. His fawning over the Canadian prime minister showed how vacuous he is. He was chuffed that some newspaper relegated any serious aspect of the visit to small articles. You could actually hear him getting all excited about Trudeau's socks. He was giving it the whole "arent we all so excited about these things". He's like that with JFK too. And he never shuts the f*ck up about Trump. Some other poster hit the nail on the head about the hypocrisy between his attitude to Trump and JFK's attitudes to women. He's made plenty of comments himself in the past too that show his own attitude is fairly questionable.

His obsession with anything school-related is just nauseating, too. He loves anything to do with leaving certs, junior certs, "messing" in class, homework, teachers, etc. etc. It'd be fine if he actually had something interesting to say about this stuff but he doesn't. It's just horrible, boring drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I think the issue is a lack of authenticity.

You are listening to what the presenter thinks we want to hear rather than what he really wants to say.. does that make sense?

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I think the issue is a lack of authenticity.

You are listening to what the presenter thinks we want to hear rather than what he really wants to say.. does that make sense?

Maybe he does think people want endless pointless commentary on Trump and the socks of various politicians. I do think he's really like the way he comes across though i.e. emotionally stunted. His little obsessions with anything childhood related are head-wrecking. Chats about school days are grand and all but it's just incessant and it's nonsense, with his "i've seen every Disney film 7 times and I hate trump and I Love Roal Dahl and wasn't JFK a great fella cos everyone loved him and he was a bit Irish". There's no substance to anything he says whatsoever. Pure bullsh*t on loop.

Doesn't he usually do a stint on BBC Radio 2 about this time? Filling in for Graham Norton or Simon Mayo or someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bobbyss wrote: »
    Doesn't he usually do a stint on BBC Radio 2 about this time? Filling in for Graham Norton or Simon Mayo or someone?

Not since Terry Wogan died.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bobbyss wrote: »

Ha didn't go all Tubridy once during the London riots on the over there and started the show with "the revulution will not be televised" and got his ass kicked by the BBC

He's going on holidays again??? What was Dave Fanning covering for?

• Advertisement

He's going on holidays again??? What was Dave Fanning covering for?

It's interesting to note that although he is always full of chat about this and that and having plenty to say about everything that he mentioned very mildly and quickly that he wouldn't be here for a few weeks.

Infuriating the soft soaping and plamás-ing of Tubridy about this topic. EVERYBODY hates school, but they dont leave at 15.. The issue is not with the Education systems priority on Traveller education. The issue is with the priority that the Travelling Community DON'T give to the education of their own kids. They don't give them a chance. Why is this never discussed?? Ask some hard questions ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ryan interviewing Robert Webb.

Do you think Ryan is asking him about:-

a) his career in comedy

Or

b) the death of his mother and the difficult relationship with his father?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭More Music

a) his career in comedy

Or

Maybe this will help answer your question.

https://twitter.com/DubrayBooks/status/907177598240870400/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fradio1%2Fryan-tubridy%2F

a) his career in comedy

Or

No prizes for guessing that one! I heard him this morning when some woman rang in for a competition and mentioned that she was on route to Crumlin with her child. He of courses realizes that this means she is going to Crumlin hospital and LEAPS at the chance to ask her why she's taking her son there. Thankfully the woman said her son was just going for a check up. She had called to enter a competition and he assumes that she would be ok to talk on national radio about some possible problem with her kid's health.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that he WANTED something to be wrong with the kid, but you can just imagine him thinking that he's making really interesting radio by extracting such information. Weasel.

.....I heard him this morning when some woman rang in for a competition and mentioned that she was on route to Crumlin with her child.... She had called to enter a competition and he assumes that she would be ok to talk on national radio about some possible problem with her kid's health.....Weasel.

Is this a wind up?

He did not assume. The woman said on national radio radio she was going to Crumlin with her child. The next question under any circumstance is a polite enquiry.

If the woman did not want to discuss or be asked about her child's health she shouldn't have even mentioned Crumlin and nobody would be any wiser.

And the reason Robert Webb was on the radio..... to promote his book about a boy's emotions, relationships and how they're expected to behave. "Webb’s mother died when he was 17. She had already separated from his feckless “local character” of a dad and married a man who was equally feckless but less of a character. “Where does a mummy’s boy go when he’s got no mummy?” asks Webb. Back to Dad, of course."

If Tubbs didn't talk about Webbs father it would most certainly be a case of Ryan not being prepared.

But don't let that get in the way of a pointless moan.

More Music wrote: »
    Is this a wind up?

He did not assume. The woman said on national radio radio she was going to Crumlin with her child. The next question under any circumstance is a polite enquiry.

If the woman did not want to discuss or be asked about her child's health she shouldn't have even mentioned Crumlin and nobody would be any wiser.

She said she was going to Crumlin, not to the hospital and she sounded a bit caught off guard in general. He rightly assumed to she was going to the hospital. Then, rather than just wishing them well with the appointment and leaving it at that, he started asking for details. In other words, he was prepared to turn a competition call (an upbeat part of the show) into a discussion about what he thought was someone's ill health. I think that's ****ty. She deflected his question, too, by not giving any proper details about it, so it seems to me that she wasn't entirely comfortable with Tubridy's approach. It's fairly typical of Tubridy as someone else pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The man has a problem.

She said she was going to Crumlin,......... She deflected his question, too, by not giving any proper details about it, so it seems to me that she wasn't entirely comfortable with Tubridy's approach.....

And he left it at that did he. He didn't probe any further?

Senator Aodhán Ó Ríordáin is on Tubridy right now recalling the 'humiliation' of not being brought-on to his school football team as a boy. He's suggesting that weaker kids should be picked for sports teams, despite ability.

I totally understand the need to be inclusive, but you do so via a B-team. Otherwise, you're only going to disillusion those who are dedicated and skilled, and find themselves sitting on the sidelines.

Not sure I'm seeing his point here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

Senator Aodhán Ó Ríordáin is on Tubridy right now recalling the 'humiliation' of not being brought-on to his school football team as a boy. He's suggesting that weaker kids should be picked for sports teams, despite ability.

I totally understand the need to be inclusive, but you do so via a B-team. Otherwise, you're only going to disillusion those who are dedicated and skilled, and find themselves sitting on the sidelines.

Not sure I'm seeing his point here.

Has he reported the matter to the Gardai ?:D

Comedy god Armando Iannucci is on Ryan’s show this morning to talk about his new film ‘The Death Of Stalin’.

Be warned, Armando: There may be Trump talk, over-the-top fake laughter and questions concerning the general health of the Iannucci family.

*starts to chew on knuckles*

His obsession wiith Trump is unhealthy. He has to shoehorn a reference to the Don or one of his family in every subject he covers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm listening to the Armando Iannucci interview on podcast now. Why on earth did nobody try to get him onto a better line, instead of all those drop outs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'm listening to the Armando Iannucci interview on podcast now. Why on earth did nobody try to get him onto a better line, instead of all those drop outs?

Contact RTE they always get back to you-:cool:

Good man Dave. Donald Trump, Saoirse Ronan and U2 all covered in the first 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Always confused how on the one hand RTE try to convince us (and themselves) that Ryan Tubridy is the most talented presenter in the country and that is why they pay him a fortune, but on the other hand they only have him on the radio for ONE hour a day. Surely if any other radio station had the "best presenter in Ireland", they would put him on for THREE hours a day... like what NT did with Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Always confused how on the one hand RTE try to convince us (and themselves) that Ryan Tubridy is the most talented presenter in the country and that is why they pay him a fortune, but on the other hand they only have him on the radio for ONE hour a day. Surely if any other radio station had the "best presenter in Ireland", they would put him on for THREE hours a day... like what NT did with Pat Kenny.

Don’t know why you are confused Tony, I really don’t.

Who actually decides, "This person ,<carpenter, sparky, presenter, producer, stage hand or whatever> is so talented that we'll give them a job for life that they can't be sacked from, and a f"cking pension till they die"?

• Advertisement

Ryan just described Christine Keeler as ‘acting the maggot’ in the 1960’s.

Whilst talking to her son.

*buries head in hands*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement