Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 novemberbravo

Lashing rain now in Dublin 18 :( The previous snowfall is just turning to slush

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Raining in D5, crisis averted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Do people actually want snow,it seems the majority on here want it so badly,why I don't know,I'm very happy we have feck all snow where i am and I don't bloody want it either

From my own point of view, my husband and I are off until Monday, the house is stocked and warm, the dogs are cosy and we've an emergency water supply so I'm quite happy for more snow (it has been snowing here in South Kilkenny for nearly 12 hours) and to just sit back and watch it all. Obviously I also empathise with those who don't have the luxury of enjoying this weather.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Chong wrote: »
    Prob live about 2km from the airport if I were to guess, I honestly am not trolling no reason to.

Don't worry...not accusing you! Just trying to figure it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Chong wrote: »
    Just before you head down to waterside Malahide, Mountgorry way
    Likewise, I stepped out in it & it was very fine snow for me a few minutes ago.
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    Hard to understand as light snow is being reported at Dublin Airport at 19.30.
    That's what I experienced anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lashing rain now in Dublin 18 :( The previous snowfall is just turning to slush

Same. That’s the end of the snow in D13. Mostly melted away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

IByuQ3V.png

Wind turbines working away anyway - providing more than half of the grids requirement at the moment.

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Definitely still snowing in Firhouse. It's very fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Anyone calling this a non-event and no-snow should be in Navan. I just opened the cat flap (had to close it this morning as the wall around it was covered with snow blown during the night) and got at least three fistfuls of snows blown up my sleeve. It stopped snowing so hard, fortunately, because we are snowed down anyway but the wind is picking up and it wasn't exactly calm and nice during the day. While I am used to snow, this is getting to me, especially as it's bloody March. Where was the white crappy stuff during Christmas when we were sitting at home getting bored out of our minds with the kids crawling up the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mossie

Very fine snow now, north Cork, Kanturk / Newmarket area. Can see why some might think it was rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Have a layer of sleet/ice building up on my window. Looks like it's raining outside in greystones but is very fine and quite heavy sleet. White is building up on the roads and in the garden where it was previously melted. Very strange weather either way.

Sidenote: this gin and tonic is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

What's the temp in Dublin?
    There's a possibility it could just flip back to snow and leave a layer of rather nasty ice under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Loughc wrote: »
    Same. That’s the end of the snow in D13. Mostly melted away now.

Wait a minute, I'm in Dublin 13? I have lots of snow lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wave after wave of tiny snow grains lashing into the coast here, light/moderate intensity.

DL harbour 9http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/) recording gusts at around 50 kts. If this is only the start, can't even imagine what its going to be like later. Worst conditions I've ever experienced here (Dalkey) - very nasty ice + wind combo

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Plenty of dripping here in Kildare town w.t.f.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Do people actually want snow,it seems the majority on here want it so badly,why I don't know,I'm very happy we have feck all snow where i am and I don't bloody want it either

Weather forum looking forward to a once In a lifetime weather event?

About 1.5 cm of very fine snow at the foothills of the Dublin mountains in the past hour 23 hours to go and this is only the start!

gandalf wrote: »
    Definitely still snowing in Firhouse. It's very fine though.

Admirable even.:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

otherfrog wrote: »
    IByuQ3V.png

Wind turbines working away anyway - providing more than half of the grids requirement at the moment.

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/

Fun fact Ireland is third highest in the world in terms of wind generated energy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

reports of rain!! thank you God! could be a big melt on! never as happy to hear of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Incredible weather in North Wexford now. The swirls of the snow in the wind are beautiful, but really makes you think about how powerful nature is. Snow building nicely, another 12 hours of this will be huge, and that's from a ground with virtually no snow on it before 5pm today. I can't imagine to think what Dublin will be like with their already accumulated snow in this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Wait a minute, I'm in Dublin 13? I have lots of snow lying.

Still some lying but mostly melting away from the rain. Reckon it’ll be all gone by morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Defo not powder snow where I am in d14. Blizzard like conditions of sleet for over an hour now

The local variations are crazy. I know D14 is a big place, but it's still crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

That's puzzling, considering you are fairly high up and a bit away from the coast. Hopefully it will turn back to snow soon

Still sleet here in SE at 150 AOD. Grand.. snow and ice around here means nothing but hardship :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

leahyl wrote: »
    Anyone wanna make a guess when it will be picking up in cork city? So calm here at the moment

Snow getting heavier in Rochestown now and gusting every so often. not long now I'd say before the proper stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Snowing in Mallow light but snowing. A good start to a long night ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I don't think today should have been 'written off'.. And it wasn't, transport, schools yes for obvious reasons..
    But overall it's been a well thought almost military approach by met eireann.
    And i think they made the right call, the red warning was subtly and calmly put to the nation and heeded by most, and those people who had to where then able to go about and do the necessary things that had to be done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not sure what is falling out of the sky here, looks like freezing drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

No rain here in Ringsend, very fine mist like snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Snizzle - mid Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wave after wave of snow grains lashing into the coast here (Dalkey). Light/moderate intensity. Def worst conditions Ive experienced here, the ice-wind combo really takes it out of you. DL harbour gusting 50kts E. And to think that this is only the start.

Advertisement