Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    Would my area be subject to orographic lift? 340m asl south Laois?

Depends on your local topography. Orographic lift happens on windward slopes of mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Evelyn Cusack just said One Meter of snow for Dublin/Wicklow followed by flooding
    Didn't think of that? People living along the Barrow, Nore and Slaney will be anxious. Of course that depends on a rapid thaw which happened in 1947 after southwesterly gales and heavy rain brought that winter to a sudden end around the middle of March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Rougies wrote: »
    Depends on your local topography. Orographic lift happens on windward slopes of mountains.

Thanks Rougies. With a south easterly that's a yes.

I'm also conscious of what Gaoth spoke about earlier, counties to the West of the Wicklow mountains being in a kind of snow shadow.

Evelyn and a metre of snow, Wicklow mts and South Dublin. My God these are historic days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Forget about whether it will turn to rain tomorrow on the south coast. Can anyone explain why reports are starting to come in from some boardies that rain is falling. Cobh in Cork and Walkinstown in Dublin are two examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Didn't think of that? People living along the Barrow, Nore and Slaney will be anxious. Of course that depends on a rapid thaw which happened in 1947 after southwesterly gales and heavy rain brought that winter to a sudden end around the middle of March.

Yes the St. Patrick's Day floods. Believe it or not some quarries at home facing northward had snow still there in June!!

Looks like a slower melt this time..going by UKMO and ECM..

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Thank goodness! Temp dropping back in Dublin 16 now. -1.2c DP -2.5c atm.

Moderate fine snow falling, which is accumulating on the ground, rather than on cars/roofs, due to the wind.

I was only 10 in 1982 but I do remember noticing how little snow there was on roofs while at the same time we had 6 ft snow snow drifts (in Dublin 6).

Good stuff. Appears to be a slight sleet/snow mix in Dundalk at the minute. I would also say that there is a very slight thaw ongoing of snow currently lying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Calibos wrote: »
    Forget about whether it will turn to rain tomorrow on the south coast. Can anyone explain why reports are starting to come in from some boardies that rain is falling. Cobh in Cork and Walkinstown in Dublin are two examples?

I am skeptical of that rain report in Dublin.

By the way the ECM looks interesting in FI:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I am skeptical of that rain report in Dublin.

By the way the ECM looks interesting in FI:D

Its extremely light in D14 but as the poster above said, I also put my hands out and they got immediately wet.
    Could this still just be the warm front and it'll get colder again for the storm??

Rain reports meaning a warm sector is over the east/Dublin maybe? Should it pass allowing colder conditions to return?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

That's a very good update esp for places like Cork. The ecm was very good for 24hrs keeping us very cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

That's a very good update esp for places like Cork. The ecm was very good for 24hrs keeping us very cold

One can hope. Besides the ECM were any of the other models predicting the south to stay in the cold and not have a thaw? I believe ICON was right?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its extremely light in D14 but as the poster above said, I also put my hands out and they got immediately wet.
    Could this still just be the warm front and it'll get colder again for the storm??

Yes. Are you right by the coast? It could be a warm sector associated with the front, the wind direction may have helped to mix out the entrenched cold air from the east. Hopefully it passes on and it will turn to snow again.

Yes. Are you right by the coast? It could be a warm sector associated with the front, the wind direction may have helped to mix out the entrenched cold air from the east. Hopefully it passes on and it will turn to snow again.

About 5 km from the coast in rathgar.. 65m asl

Fingers crossed. I think some of the rain reports have actually been mistaken and its actually frozen tiny ice particles that melt on contact with skin and windows

wakka12 wrote: »
    About 5 km from the coast in rathgar.. 65m asl

Fingers crossed. I think some of the rain reports have actually been mistaken and its actually frozen tiny ice particles that melt on contact with skin and windows

That's puzzling, considering you are fairly high up and a bit away from the coast. Hopefully it will turn back to snow soon

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭coillsaille

From a technical and model perspective could somebody please explain why ME have brought forward the end of the red warning covering Connacht and northern counties to 6am while extending until 6pm the red warning for southern and eastern counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

From a technical and model perspective could somebody please explain why ME have brought forward the end of the red warning covering Connacht and northern counties to 6am while extending until 6pm the red warning for southern and eastern counties?

One or the other of them might be a typo .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Rain reports meaning a warm sector is over the east/Dublin maybe? Should it pass allowing colder conditions to return?
    It did get up to -0.3c at 5.30 but thankfully its down to -0.8c now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Evelyn Cusack just said One Meter of snow for Dublin/Wicklow followed by flooding

Needs to be clarified that the flooding was discussed earlier in the day on the morning TV replacement programme, and it is a possible outcome of the combination of Spring Tides and Easterly winds, there's been no hint in the forecasts of a significant thaw due to rain, which would be a nightmare in some areas.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

I can see why they might for the Northwest [did that part of the country ever warrant a red?] but most of the models give Galway lots of snow tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Needs to be clarified that the flooding was discussed earlier in the day on the morning TV replacement programme, and it is a possible outcome of the combination of Spring Tides and Easterly winds, there's been no hint in the forecasts of a significant thaw due to rain, which would be a nightmare in some areas.

Was that not related to some east facing slopes in Wicklow and dublin and due to snow drifting with particular wind?

• Advertisement

Could the rain reports be freezing rain or something?Idk. It would be absolutely galling to lose a once in a lifetime snow event by a fraction of a degree

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Its on the way lads and plenty of it. Heavy snow inbound to Cork.

WTkjAtJ.gif

beGHgBe.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I think it is more ice pellets, was just out in it (in Dublin 4) Dun Laoghaire dew point is easily low enough

Edit: Can confirm it's larger and a lot more like snow now, snow going sideways though!

443859.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sat animation for the last 12hrs or so showing the development of 'Emma'.

m7csaa.jpg

Very unusual looking system. Almost looks like a balloon.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Go to the animation on this page http://www.xcweather.co.uk/FR/observations

Cycle through the pressure and temps. This has huge potential, warm air injecting of the north of Spain, cold air flooding in across Benelux. 975hPa in the centre over the bay of Biscay. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What's falling here anyway seems like wet sleet on your face but it's actually very fine snow grains, which are the like the frozen form of drizzle. Formed because the upper layers (higher than 850 hPa) have warmed since yesterday, limiting convection to a fairly shallow layer.

Warnings of heavy snow out now for the two Dublin airports and Cork. Don't remember seeing these before.

EIDW AD WRNG 03 VALID 011800/020600 SNOW HVY > 10CM FCST =
    EIME AD WRNG 04 VALID 011800/020600 SNOW HVY > 10CM FCST =
    EICK AD WRNG 03 VALID 011700/020600 SNOW HVY > 10CM FCST =

Shannon has a warning for 3-5 cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Window had rain drops on it for the first time. Stuck the hand out the window and its the finest of graupel.

Have yet to have big thick flakes from this event even tho I've a foot of snow out front!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hearing of outright blizzard conditions in Devon. These peripheral upper warm fronts are notorious for bringing freezing drizzle/rain, the real deal has yet to hit.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Window had rain drops on it for the first time. Stuck the hand out the window and its the finest of graupel.

Have yet to have big thick flakes from this event even tho I've a foot of snow out front!
    It's been snowing continuously in Northside Dublin since 4 and often with bigger flakes. But shower activity is confined to the first 2000m or so of the atmosphere so they haven't got going yet. But thst graupel/snow grains still accumulates, especially with no sunlight and minus temperatures all the way to the stratosphere above us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Hearing of outright blizzard conditions in Devon. These peripheral upper warm fronts are notorious for bringing freezing drizzle/rain, the real deal has yet to hit.

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/Camsecure3/Brixham_Harbour.html

This webcam from Brixham Harbour in Devon has a clear background to give a sense of what is happening there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement