Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

As for overlays, for the systems that use them, I've a config saved for each core (system) that needs it. That loads the required overlay automatically when a game from that system is chosen.

IMG_20180221_195713.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I thought that was a real Neo Geo Pocket Color for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Awesome work Inviere. Thanks a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Really nice work going so far. Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Inviere wrote: »
    Just so as not to derail a different thread, Doge asked for my Retroarch scanline settings. Bare in mind, different scanline settings/presets will look different at different resolutions. I use my tv, which is 1080p...the settings and presets below are designed for 1080p panels. If using different resolutions, the below won't look correct

Retroarch 1.7.0 (I don't 'use' Retroarch in itself, it's all set up to be run under Launchbox which is much prettier):

Shader passes - x2
    Shader #0 = 4xbr-hybrid-crt.glsl
    Shader #0 filter = nearest
    Shader #0 scale = 4x
    Shader #1 = stock.glsl
    Shader #1 filter = linear
    Shader #1 scale = don't care

Launchbox:

image.png

image.png

The image above still isn't an exact representation of what I see on screen natively, as it's been resized for embedding, which messes with the final result. The scanlines above will likely look HUGE in the image if you're sitting beside a pc screen viewing it. On the tv though, when sitting a few feet away, they look really nice.
    Uses non-Mega Drive game covers...

remakes-watching-slide-890Z-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg
    I thought that was a real Neo Geo Pocket Color for a moment.
    Yeah, I was about to ask "where did you get the backlit screen".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

After some hardware and software issues with my bartop I've been holding off on sorting it all out for the last few years but I'm ready to give it another go.

At one point somebody in here (I can't remember who) gave me an awesome HSLS (I think that's what it was called) config file for mame for scanlines, a CRT curvature effect and rainbow banding. It looked amazing but I've since lost the actual file.

Would anybody have anything like that for mame?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »

Ah, 2014, the forum was so active back then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Columbus circle are doing an official reprint of King of Demons for super famicom coming in April.

It's a fantastic game..... but not worth the insane money I spent on it.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Columbus circle are doing an official reprint of King of Demons for super famicom coming in April.

It's a fantastic game..... but not worth the insane money I spent on it.

You bought King of Demons? You mad bastard :D

I love the cover art on that. Really reminds me of Urotsukidoji or Wicked City or something of that ilk.

Majyuo_Coverart.png

• Advertisement

Uses non-Mega Drive game covers...

:D Launchbox scrapes the artwork/info itself. It can, of course, be overridden with whatever artwork you wish...but between here & there is laziness :o That said, I might have to sort it out over the summer!

Doge wrote: »
    Awesome work Inviere. Thanks a lot!

If you want any help setting it all up, by all means shoot me a pm. Shame that emulation forum never got the go ahead, t'would have been ideal for this kind of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I saw Ciderman had a Pi hooked up to his arcade cabinet. I've been thinking it'd be nice to put one on my CRT television via SCART. Anybody running that sort of setup? I was looking at one of these perhaps.
    http://arcadeforge.net/Pi2Jamma-Pi2SCART/PI2SCART::264.html?MODsid=da8652e62c6280b04992f1f301381746

Also I notice my Retropie setup on a Raspberry Pi 2 is really laggy controls wise. The SNES emulation seems a bit slow too. Stuff like Yoshiis Island really chugs. Worth going with a Pi3 to solve this or do I just have too much on my SD card or something?

• I have a couple of those, really nice piece of kit but quite a bit of setup required to get the image spot on. In saying that it's been months since I fiddled with it so the guys on the fb group probably have better images available.. also I never got it to display properly on my Sony PVM but ran great on the trinitron. If your looking for one let me know, Iam sure I had a second one for a project that I never used .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I tend to get completely lost tinkering with Pi's so if you had one set up already just sitting around that'd be amazing. Could paypal you the price of it no bodge.

Also I notice my Retropie setup on a Raspberry Pi 2 is really laggy controls wise. The SNES emulation seems a bit slow too. Stuff like Yoshiis Island really chugs. Worth going with a Pi3 to solve this or do I just have too much on my SD card or something?

I found similar on a Pi 3. However, mine was running the 314GB PiDrive, as opposed to an SD card. I'm not sure if that makes any odds, but I moved away from the Pi as an emulation device before too long. It's too underpowered for more advanced display settings imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Piper Great Mouth

For those who do emulate, what do you think is the most fit for purpose machine? I have multiple old consoles in storage, but I don't really have the space to take them out to us them. I'd like to have some form of emulation machine set up for a quick blast whenever the mood takes me. It would mainly be used for Snes, Mega Drive and Amiga games. But I would like to have the option of playing a couple of PS1 games (Jonah Lomu Rugby, Crash Bandicoot, etc.). Ideally, I would also like to use the original controllers (there are adapters on Amazon for these). I had been thinking of a Pi 3, but not sure it can handle everything I want by the sounds of it

Shader passes - x2
    Shader #0 = 4xbr-hybrid-crt.glsl
    Shader #0 filter = nearest
    Shader #0 scale = 4x
    Shader #1 = stock.glsl
    Shader #1 filter = linear
    Shader #1 scale = don't care

Launchbox:

image.png

Just gave this a go in RetroArch but with the 4xb-hybrid-crt.cg and stock.cg files because the glsl files were not listed.

I think the scanlines look nice but there is a bit too much filtering for my liking making the edges of the text and sprite look too smooth.

Of course this is all down to personal preference.

442506.png

I might try that new crt shader you were talking about and Steve SIs config file with Mame next.

Master of the Universe

I think the scanlines look nice but there is a bit too much filtering for my liking making the edges of the text and sprite look too smooth.

Yep, I completely agree with you there. The scanlines are lovely but I find that kind of filter on edges makes it look like it was created in early 2000's flash software. Can really see it in the white highlight on the Sonic letters.

BDJW wrote: »
    For those who do emulate, what do you think is the most fit for purpose machine?

Your situation sounds similar to mine, plenty of consoles, no space to do them justice. I started on a Pi, but quickly found it a bit lacking. The emulation was very 'basic', and I found the display output not at all pretty. I took the plunge into pc based emulation then, by messing about with Retroarch, some dedicated emulators, and using Launchbox as a frontend for it all. Capability wise, it handles anything I can throw at it.

My pc is a small form factor m-tix build, sitting in a Thermaltake Core V1 case....very, very living room friendly. It'll depend on the specs of the pc of course, but for me, I'd never go back towards arm/android based stuff.
    Just gave this a go in RetroArch but with the 4xb-hybrid-crt.cg and stock.cg files because the glsl files were not listed.

You're running 1080p yeah? Also, the glsl files are apparently the way to go...I wonder why they aren't showing for you? You using Retroarch on pc?
    I might try that new crt shader you were talking about and Steve SIs config file with Mame next.

Don't run Steve's HLSL config alongside Retroarch shaders. HLSL should stand alone I think :)

• Advertisement

Good repo here to get a quick/easy idea of the different shaders - https://github.com/libretro/shader-previews

I do like the clean look of that actually. Will give those settings a go in a while (queue two weeks of obsessing over shader crt emulation :o)

I wonder should we start a CRT Emulation Thread to keep all the info tidy in one place?
    You're running 1080p yeah? Also, the glsl files are apparently the way to go...I wonder why they aren't showing for you? You using Retroarch on pc?

Yep 1080p on PC with the latest version of RetroArch installed.

Master of the Universe

I wonder should we start a CRT Emulation Thread to keep all the info tidy in one place?

How about just a general scanline and display tech thread?

Would be nice to have a spot to bore people with my CRT fetish.

What im really looking for is something that emulates an Arcade Monitor pretty well.

Heres some RetroArch Shader presets I've been trying out, in alphabetical order with the last my favourite

geom

442514.jpg

hylian

442515.png

interlaced halation

442516.jpg

And finally my current favourite:
    glow lanczos

442517.png

I like how it has the brightness of a real arcade monitor.

The *only* issue I have with it is when you open the mame menu, the characters in the text are made up of dots:

442518.jpg

Great idea. The difference between a vanilla emulator & some finely tuned visuals is night & day. I'd definitely be up for such a thread. The amount of people out there who tried Zsnes in 1997 & use it as a basis to ****e all over modern emulation is astonishing. Things have come a long way.
    What im really looking for is something that emulates an Arcade Monitor pretty well.

Heres some RetroArch Shader presets I've been trying out, in alphabetical order with the last my favourite

They all look really nice. Personally I find the last one a tad washed out, but will def try them out!

Im not sure if im doing something wrong with SteveX2's .ini but it comes out real dark on mine, also have the prescale.fx copied over:

442548.jpg

Then i followed the following guide:

And got this:

442549.jpg

Master of the Universe

And got this:

Wow that looks good! Will try to give that a go this weekend.

Downloaded MAME 0.193 today and the romset from archive.org.

Its the 2nd latest version, and it seems its progressed quite well.

Since the last mame version i used it appears to have artwork in the browser and a better browser in general.

World Rally 2 Twin Racing would never work the last time I tried and it runs beautifully in this version.

I bet a lot more unplayable games are now playable also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Some eye opener lads! I have a few space monitors knocking around. Must get a little mame rig made with one of them and try this out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement