Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I quite like his version of Green Beret also:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So it looks like Billy Mitchell's (of King of Kong fame) high scores on Donkey Kong were actually done on MAME rather than original hardware.

What is life anymore?

Amazing research on it here.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/176004-Dispute-Jeremy-Young-Arcade-Donkey-Kong?p=946633&viewfull=1#post946633

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Corholio wrote: »
    So it looks like Billy Mitchell's (of King of Kong fame) high scores on Donkey Kong were actually done on MAME rather than original hardware.

What is life anymore?

Amazing research on it here.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/176004-Dispute-Jeremy-Young-Arcade-Donkey-Kong?p=946633&viewfull=1#post946633

A supervillain if ever there was one

MpD2G8U5VrPDA5vx3CvDV9-1200-80.jpg

The documentary is fantastic for anyone who's not seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

A supervillain if ever there was one

MpD2G8U5VrPDA5vx3CvDV9-1200-80.jpg

The documentary is fantastic for anyone who's not seen it
    Somone just knocked on my door and told me there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.

Also, Twin Galaxy's really seem to be clamping down on these things ever since that Dragster record proved to be fraudulent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

He came across like a total C U Next Tuesday in the King of Kong. Wonder if his hot sauce ever took off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

He came across like a total C U Next Tuesday in the King of Kong. Wonder if his hot sauce ever took off?

He is supposed to be a nice guy though, I wonder what his comments will be on that name thing.
    He has put in scores of over 1 million in arcades though, strange.
    Do you not have to show your setup when posting an arcade video?

I read somewhere that Billy Mitchell and the other fella from King of Kong had a friendly rivalry going on for a few years before the film, but that didnt quite fit the narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Of course it's a work that's why it's the best game doc of all time. Perfect face and heel turns from both of them. Who'd care if the best DK player was a dentist?

Billy is the gawd. Up there with Jack Passion (Beard Wars) and John Brown (White Rapper Show) in my GOAT list of TV Villains.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Todd Rogers banned from TG too

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274915-todd-rogers-banned-from-twin-galaxies-and-records-removed/

He's been expecting it for a while now, I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Back in work today after two weeks on holidays. :(

Need to purchase something ridiculous and retro related to pick up my mood. Any ideas??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »

Need to purchase something ridiculous and retro related to pick up my mood. Any ideas??? :D

Just drop into the the Rage and buy something. I guarantee you will feel ridiculous :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'll take a trip to Token tomorrow. What is the payment system like there? Do you have to pay for individual game sessions or is it a one-time all-you-can-play payment for the day?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »

Taromaru or Hyperduel

Or both.

Lads I'm going to be replaying the original MGS next.

Am I better playing it on a PS2 with component cable or on a PS3 with HDMI?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lads I'm going to be replaying the original MGS next.

Am I better playing it on a PS2 with component cable or on a PS3 with HDMI?

With it outputting a 240p I doubt you'll see any difference in detail. Just turn off texture filtering. The game was made with art that is best without it as it ruins some sharp edged textures that are used for windows in the game.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Taromaru or Hyperduel

Or both.

You looking for a patsy to shift that super expensive Taromaru you bought? :D

In the end I went with two high quality scart cables from oxfam. Most boring impulse purchase known to man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll take a trip to Token tomorrow. What is the payment system like there? Do you have to pay for individual game sessions or is it a one-time all-you-can-play payment for the day?

They used to stock venue specific tokens for playing their cabs but now it's just 50c pieces instead.
    It's an expensive enough spot as a result.

You can never have enough scart cables in fairness

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They used to stock venue specific tokens for playing their cabs but now it's just 50c pieces instead.
    It's an expensive enough spot as a result.

That's unfortunate :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just browsing ebay there for mega drive games. I know I harp on about this but things have gotten mad.

Since when is Alsia Dragoon a £50+ game? I never actually picked it up because it was always on my back burner because it is usually always available

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just browsing ebay there for mega drive games. I know I harp on about this but things have gotten mad.

Since when is Alsia Dragoon a £50+ game? I never actually picked it up because it was always on my back burner because it is usually always available

I passed up an opportunity to buy a Japanese copy a few years ago for 20 but didn't as I already had a pal copy.

Really regret that now :eek:

I was watching a complete history video earlier and noticed how cool the Japanese Robocod boxart looks, checked ebay and IMO 100 bucks is a little steep.

I don't think 50 cents is very pricey to play arcade games. A euro has been pretty standard for the last 15 years in Irish arcades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose when I used to play some of these for 10p and 20p it feels a tad steep, this is Pacman and SFII we're talking about.

Master of the Universe

50c I don't mind too much, 20 games for a tenner doesn't seem too bad.

It's more dropping 50c into a machine and then having the buttons/sticks unusable that would annoy me.

I haven't actually been in Token in a few months, how are the machines holding up?

Last time I was in there was no up on the GnG machine and maybe SF2 being a bit mushy but that's about it.

Pinballs still have issues but they've fixed a ton of stuff that wasn't working right when I was in there the first time.

I was watching a complete history video earlier and noticed how cool the Japanese Robocod boxart looks, checked ebay and IMO 100 bucks is a little steep.

I'd say I watched the same complete history. What did you make of him ranking James Pond 3 as the worst of the series? I dunno is it the nostalgia talking but i absolutely loved it

Master of the Universe

I thought James Pond 3 was always known as the best in the series? (Akin to an attempt at SMW?)

Here's the video, it's a good watch but I dunno how he can rank JP3 below Aquatic Games

Was just at Token a while ago. Had a nice time there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I don't think 50 cents is very pricey to play arcade games. A euro has been pretty standard for the last 15 years in Irish arcades.

Tokens are back in use since sunday and they have a cheap deal of main, side plus drink and 10 tokes for €20 during the week I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement