Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    Wilder,Ortiz, Parker, Fury, Povetkin , all give AJ some kind of problems,
    Id even throw Briggs in there,
    Daniel Dubois and a few other will be up there in the next 2-3 years
    Off on a tangent  but wasn't there stories that Dubios dropped AJ in sparing 18 months back he was only 18 ,

Yes, and he will likely face Wilder later this year all going well with their next defenses. He fights Parker next. I said this...

Other than Wilder I see no huge threats. Povetkin will get decapitated. He's past it, old and a cheat! Wlad battered a more prime Povetkin several years ago. No way AJ lets Povetkin survive.

Let's see how Ortiz gets on when flat on his back after the Wilder KO loss...

Briggs? Come on!

Fury is not to be considered.....he is still inactive and yet to even have a comeback fight.

You don't like AJ, eh?
    Why would you think I don't like AJ ?
    Iv literally just listed the top ranked guys and said id like to see him fight them , there ranked higher than his pervious opponents so on paper should be tougher fights ,
    nothing to do with liking or disliking a fighter ,

• Registered Users Posts: 54,979 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Iv literally just listed the top ranked guys and said id like to see him fight them , there ranked higher than his pervious opponents so on paper should be tougher fights ,

You just seem to come across as targeting him. And with your whole hype train and matchroom and Eddie Hearnd&AJ talk.....

Just on the Povetkin point, Your correct that was several years ago and Wlad was not a 41 yearold who was out for 2 years, That version of Wlad would have done the same to AJ

He may not have done the same to AJ.

You do know for years Wlad has been fighting scared and cautiously....?

Also, you need to factor in who he was doing this against.....

Povetkin is not AJ. Smaller, tubbier, easier for Wlad to man handle and easier for Wlad to use his height and reach and size...he beat Povetkin up, but could not close the show. AJ sure would have.

You don't seem to factor these things in....

Wlad still likely gets hit hard by AJ no matter what era Wlad shows up in. He is still met with a 250 lbs AJ who is 6 feet 6 and who punches very hard and who is not afraid to let the hands go. A man who will not be manhandled like the smaller and less powerful Povetkin.

To suggest Wlad would have done the same to AJ as he did to Povetkin tells me you have no concept of styles and sizes and weights and reach and power and aggression etc....

Same for Wlad vs. Fury.....here he met a taller man, bigger man and heavier man that he could not impose his size on, added to the fact that he was sacred sh1tless to throw punches....

You just seem to come across as targeting him. And with your whole hype train and matchroom and Eddie Hearnd&AJ talk.....
    No targeting him, Just i'm not a believer of the Sky/ Hearn/match room hype train that's all .
    I prefer to watch what is actually happing in the ring, and that actually ability , faults and current conditions of the fighter on show than what they try to tell you , remember it is not always in there interest to give a fair view they are trying to promote a fight or fighter in the end of the day, People take what they say as gospel ,
    By the way I feel the same about Golden boy and all other promoters / tv channels , I look for myself

No targeting him, Just i'm not a believer of the Sky/ Hearn/match room hype train that's all .
    I prefer to watch what is actually happing in the ring, and that actually ability , faults and current conditions of the fighter on show than what they try to tell you , remember it is not always in there interest to give a fair view they are trying to promote a fight or fighter in the end of the day, People take what they say as gospel ,
    By the way I feel the same about Golden boy and all other promoters / tv channels , I look for myself

What do they say that is gospel to some?

You talk about watching what is happening in the ring and ability and faults and all that, yet you come out with Wlad does the same to AJ as he did to Povetkin, completely dismissing the two men and their clear differences.

That is either ignorance of the fight game or you just wanting to get a dig in at AJ because he beat Wlad via KO....

That win completely dismissed as being against a past it Wlad....A Wlad who put on quite a committed and good performance, but who happened to meet a stronger and more hurtful punching HW who could give it and take it. I watched Wlad closely that night. I didn't just take his age, a number, and then dismiss him. He performed very well.

Fury's win just happened to be against a not past it Wlad? But a Wlad who didn't bother to fight like a man.....

• Advertisement

The perfect example of what i'm talking about is Sky's coverage of Tyson win over Wlad compared to AJ's , but again AJ is a matchroom/sky fighter Tyson is not so they won't big him up so fans tune in to watch him on another channel
    Its should be obvious but the general public just think if Sky says it must be correct ,most don't even realise there is other places to watch boxing,
    Again that is not a knock on AJ as a fighter or bigging up Tyson its just a perfect example of what im talking about,

The perfect example of what i'm talking about is Sky's coverage of Tyson win over Wlad compared to AJ's , but again AJ is a matchroom/sky fighter Tyson is not so they won't big him up so fans tune in to watch him on another channel
    Its should be obvious but the general public just think if Sky says it must be correct ,most don't even realise there is other places to watch boxing,
    Again that is not a knock on AJ as a fighter or bigging up Tyson its just a perfect example of what im talking about,

I am not with you.

Sky did not have the fight. Why would they be bigging it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I am not with you.

Sky did not have the fight. Why would they be bigging it up?

I'm sure they did - they even did a "gloves are off programme" before it

What do they say that is gospel to some?

You talk about watching what is happening in the ring and ability and faults and all that, yet you come out with Wlad does the same to AJ as he did to Povetkin, completely dismissing the two men and their clear differences.

That is either ignorance of the fight game or you just wanting to get a dig in at AJ because he beat Wlad via KO....

That win completely dismissed as being against a past it Wlad....A Wlad who put on quite a committed and good performance, but who happened to meet a stronger and more hurtful punching HW who could give it and take it. I watched Wlad closely that night. I didn't just take his age, a number, and then dismiss him. He performed very well.

Fury's win just happened to be against a not past it Wlad? But a Wlad who didn't bother to fight like a man.....
    You seem to be very hurt I have questioned AJ big moment may not have been as big as first meets the eye,
    I'm just stating facts ,he beat a 41 yearold who was out of the ring for 2 years who lost his previous fight, You did not hear that narrative on sky ,why would you its not in there interest, Can you not understand that promotions big up there own ?
    Now my point is on Wlad v Povetkin is that fight was in 2013 , Aj fought Wlad in 2017 and was a whisker from losing by KO , Would it not be in the realms of possibility that a Wlad 4 years younger (which is huge at 41) and fighting regularly would have closed the distance of that whiskey that Aj survived by ?
    Ill put it in simply terms for you ,If I raced you at 41 and u beat me by a head , would it be fair to think if I was 4 year younger at 37 and racing more frequently ,that my chance of wining would be greatly improved ?
    That's all im saying so chill man and its ok I don't have problem with AJ , im just saying what I saw

If Aj never loses a fight but fights the top guys ill be happy , I just want to see good fights, the best v the best no issues with any fighters,
    Your anger seems to be over me holding Fury win over Wlad in higher regard than AJ's, its just my opinion so u'll have to deal with it

• Advertisement

Your Povetkin/AJ analogy is just ridiculous. That's all I was saying....

Fighter A beats B means he beats C.....It's a nonsense to be sure of this....

Wlad came within a whisker of beating AJ. I know this...

But they could fight 100 times and all fights could be close or clear for either man. They both have that potential to KO each other....I don't care what era Wlad is in. The man had a "weak" chin and when hurt he was weak at defending and weathering the storms. His career tells us this. That is why Vitali is revered that bit more.

Hence why you using the Povetkin fight as some barometer for your assertion shows me that you aren't really studying AJ and Wlad as fighters like you have suggested.

It's not me that is sensitive here. I am simply pointing out the errors in your analogies and conclusions.

As for me being hurt? What!

Anger.....again, what!

Just putting you straight! It does seem that you have a dislike for AJ. Reading through all your posts gives me this impression.

Your thinking Fury's win over Wlad more impressive than AJs is your opinion. You are welcome to it. I just disagree. Not sure why anyone would be angered by your opinion. Debating it against mine doesn't mean one has to get angry.

Your Povetkin/AJ analogy is just ridiculous. That's all I was saying....

Fighter A beats B means he beats C.....It's a nonsense to be sure of this....

Wlad came within a whisker of beating AJ. I know this...

But they could fight 100 times and all fights could be close or clear for either man. They both have that potential to KO each other....I don't care what era Wlad is in. The man had a "weak" chin and when hurt he was weak at defending and weathering the storms. His career tells us this. That is why Vitali is revered that bit more.

Hence why you using the Povetkin fight as some barometer for tour assertion shows me that you aren't really studying AJ and Wlad as fighters like you have suggested.

It's not me that is sensitive here. I am simply pointing out the errors in your analogies and conclusions.

As for me being hurt? What!

Anger.....again, what!

Just putting you straight! It does seem that you have a dislike for AJ. Reading through all your posts gives me this impression.

Your thinking Fury's win over Wlad more impressive than AJs is your opinion. You are welcome to it. I just disagree. Not sure why anyone would be angered by your opinion. Debating it against mine doesn't mean one has to get angry.
    Wlad came within a whisker is correct aren't you the e same lad claiming he was out boxed two days ago.,
    You where the one that said AJ would "decapitate" Povetkin because of a fight he had with Wlad 4 years ago ,I was just pointing out Wlad was a different animal then and you just you said now yourself
    Anyway as said I just wana see AJ fights some well rankled guys and don't care what the out come is as long as the fights happen,
    We have to cordial disagree ,
    No dislike , just wana seem him fight higher ranked fights to date his biggest win is to a 41 yearold 2 years out of the ring ,who was also beaten in his last fight,

Wlad came within a whisker is correct aren't you the e same lad claiming he was out boxed two days ago.,

Yes....but did you not see the "part" of the fight where Wlad knocked AJ down and nearly closed the show? Yes, came within a whisker....

You can come within a whisker of victory yet still lose or lose even badly...

I shouldn't have to be spelling this out.

You where the one that said AJ would "decapitate" Povetkin because of a fight he had with Wlad 4 years ago ,I was just pointing out Wlad was a different animal

I did not say that. I said he would decapitate Povetkin end of....nothing to do with a fight he had against Wlad. Read the post where I said this and you will see that I said it before you even mentioned Wlad doing to AJ what he did to Povetkin

For the record. AJ smashes any version of Povetkin...

Post 316....

I added in that Wlad beat him easily.....AJ does too....

Your understanding of the word outbox is simply wrong so, It was a seriously close fight so how can one be outboxed ? and considering AJ has all the physical attributes on his side makes it even more crazy how you think he outboxed Wlad,  he won but he did not "OUTBOX "  Wlad Anyway maybe that's the sticking point If we both see OUTBOX in a differently light, To me OUTBOXING means being technically a class above my opponent (didn't happen enough in my boxing days :) )

Back on the outboxing debate? Away you go. Knock yourself out..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I honestly feel I'm blessed by the fact I've absolutely no form of sky tv.

The only noise I hear about Joshua is when I actively seek it out and that suits me down to the ground.

pac_man wrote: »
    Forget about they hype, matchroom/sky and all the other bells and whistles that come with Joshua, look at it objectively. If you look through heavyweight history and see who other heavyweights have fought when they got to 20 fights, you'll see that Joshua's cv compares very favorably against them.

He fought Whyte for the British title. Although he was probably lucky to get the win against Chisora, I think Whyte has come on since that fight.But, let's not make out that Whyte is some world class operator, he's not. What has Whyte shown to have him ahead of the likes of Breazeale or Takam.

Why do you keep needing to say that Wlad was 41? We know this.

i agree Whyte is bang average but still probably better than the rest AJ fought,

I mentioned to make the piont to Walshy , He thinks AJ win was more impressive than Tysons and part of the reason it isnt is at 41 and Two years out of the ring it a huge difference at that age ,
    Anyway im not AJ bashing at all i just want to see the top ranked fight each other thats all ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭megadodge

Yourdeadright - I don't care about your opinion or Walshies, but will you please, please PLEASE, STOP saying "Klitchko hadn't fought in 2 years" in virtually every bloody post.

Why?

Because it's not true!!!!

He fought Fury 1 year and 5 months before that!!

And before you say that's nitpicking, well if I said he only fought 1 year before, you'd be the first to contradict, despite the fact that 1 year and 5 months is closer to 1 year than it is to 2!!!

1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!

megadodge wrote: »
    Yourdeadright - I don't care about your opinion or Walshies, but will you please, please PLEASE, STOP saying "Klitchko hadn't fought in 2 years" in virtually every bloody post.

Why?

And before you say that's nitpicking, well if I said he only fought 1 year before, you'd be the first to contradict, despite the fact that 1 year and 5 months is closer to 1 year than it is to 2!!!

1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!

No your right it was 1 year 5months my naf it was 2 years since his last win

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »

Why?

1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!
    1 year and 5 months!!

Still does change my opinion thay Fury wins is far more impressive ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Read these posts. Hilarious.

What are you guys thinking for the Price v Povetkin fight? Rooting bigtime for Price and I think he's got a great chance

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Read these posts. Hilarious.

What are you guys thinking for the Price v Povetkin fight? Rooting bigtime for Price and I think he's got a great chance

I’d be very interested to hear why you think Price has a chance?! For me, everything about this fight says Povetkin will spark him early rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

RezwoK wrote: »
    I’d be very interested to hear why you think Price has a chance?! For me, everything about this fight says Povetkin will spark him early rounds!

+1. Povetkin is a better boxer with more power than the likes of Hammer or Teper

Well povetkin is 38. He's been helped along by drugs and without them could well box much poorer. Hammar took him 12 rounds and Price really messed that one up. Price is a huge man with massive power. I think he is such unfulfilled potential. He has nothing to lose in this abdvthat makes him dangerous.
    I know he's the underdog but he's capable of winning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

How did Price get a shot like this? Surely he must be MILES down the rankings??

How did Price get a shot like this? Surely he must be MILES down the rankings??

A shot at what?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

A shot at what?
    Thought this was for WBA regular title but was wrong. What I meant moreso was a shot at a top ranked fighter like Povetkin? You must agree it's completely out of the blue?!

From what I understand there wasn't a big queue wanting to fight him. Champs are all tied up and top ranked have easier eliminators. Povetkin had title shots then got found to be full of jollop. He's lucky not to be boycotted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

WBA regular title(means very little). But what I meant was a shot at a top ranked fighter like Povetkin? You must agree it's completely out of the blue?!

First I heard it was for the WBA regular. Not surprised, it’s a Hearn show and Hearns’ influence with the WBA is fairly heavy (Similar to Warrans influence with the WBO).

Advertisement