Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ED E wrote: »
    After having two motels robbed they may not want to publish that info.

All they need to do is have rebates for collecting within 12hrs. Give the user a euro back. Things will flow.

Last year they ran a competition to win a tv. You were entered by collecting within a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ED E wrote: »
    After having two motels robbed they may not want to publish that info.

All they need to do is have rebates for collecting within 12hrs. Give the user a euro back. Things will flow.
    The rebate would make no difference to me. I would like it, and go out of my way to collect it alright, but as all motels are the same to me then it is still doing absolutely nothing to deal with the problem of getting people to use the less popular ones, when they have no problem at all switching.

I do get your point about being robbed though, but if I was them I would have more CCTV and maybe better locks on the ones which are more popular or more likely to be robbed.

They could do it in a more discrete way, offering discounts by email to people to collect from an alternative near them, not publicly announcing it. Any discount in the slightest would attract me, even a miserable 20cent as it would effectively alert me to the fact it is less used and so doing other people a favour, at xmas time I would go a bit out of my way if I knew it was of good help to others, even though they are strangers and I got no reward/discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Has anyone found that with smaller items sometimes the person putting it in the locker throws it right in at the back of the locker and if it is in one of the top lockers you need to be a giraffe to reach in and get it :o I have had to jump up and nearly climb up to try and get some of mine and I am 5 foot 8!

Yes! All my parcels lastweek were right at the back. I'm 5 foot 2 and 8 months pregnant. Wasn't the easiest to reach them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

rubadub wrote: »
    The rebate would make no difference to me.

But it is not to motive you, but other users. If they collect fast to get the €1 back, the motel would be less full.

grogi wrote: »
    But it is not to motive you, but other users. If they collect fast to get the €1 back, the motel would be less full.
    agreed, I am just saying if they did both the "motels" would be even less full. Win-win, it is remarkably stupid of them not to do anything at all, seems so obvious. It is what attracts me to parcel wizard more, knowing PM are keeping people in the dark when they do not have to.

BTW it IS a motive to me, I was saying I would certainly collect faster. I meant it does not help with the issue I see, how there is nothing to entice people to use less popular motels, even though it makes no odds to them. Do both and I would be helping people even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anyone found that with smaller items sometimes the person putting it in the locker throws it right in at the back of the locker and if it is in one of the top lockers you need to be a giraffe to reach in and get it :o I have had to jump up and nearly climb up to try and get some of mine and I am 5 foot 8!

I'm 6'2 and have had to help shorter women ahead of me a couple of times.

TBH the really low ones are worse, hands and knees to reach 2ft in at ground level.

michellie wrote: »
    Yes! All my parcels lastweek were right at the back. I'm 5 foot 2 and 8 months pregnant. Wasn't the easiest to reach them!!

and there is another simple enough thing, I could not give a damn which locker mine are in, and would hate to be collecting mine at a low height after coming up after just seeing a woman like yourself struggling to get one out the top. I am no giant but help people in supermarkets get stuff placed stupidly high.

I had said before the depth of many seems totally unnecessary, and that many could fit into tiny, and shallow lockers which could be on the side. I think their market research to start with might have been wrong, presuming people would mainly be getting very weighty packages. It would be interesting to see if they have learned anything, and if new locker installs are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 addictedtotea

I have a label with the shipping date as the 15th to return something. I won't get to drop it off until tomorrow. Will it reject it? Do I need to pay for a new one?

rubadub wrote: »
    I had said before the depth of many seems totally unnecessary, and that many could fit into tiny, and shallow lockers which could be on the side. I think their market research to start with might have been wrong, presuming people would mainly be getting very weighty packages. It would be interesting to see if they have learned anything, and if new locker installs are different.

You're assuming Nightline have a choice, they don't. They selected one of the many chinese firms manufacturing them and bought a bunch. The OEMs produce them to match all markets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Tried to collect a parcel this evening but the touch screen was going haywire because there was a blizzard at the time. Water and snow on the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

what is current PM turnarounds time like now from it getting to PM depot to delivery in the motel ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

NikoTopps wrote: »
    what is current PM turnarounds time like now from it getting to PM depot to delivery in the motel ?

I find if I get a notification that it's in the Dublin depot and the next morning it's ready to collect from a locker in Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

dmanmoore wrote: »
    Thank you for recommending addresspal. Much better alternative than Parcel Motel.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/faq

Item number 23:
    Is the item insured
    No, your item is not insured. All AddressPal items are handled securely

Basically if it goes tits up with Address Pal, you get nothing but a P.F.O.

If it goes tits up with parcel Motel you get €100 standard insurance or cost of items worth on invoice. You can also take out a higher insurance for a low enough cost.

I know it can be a pain in the backside dealing with them over a lost item but trust me, Address Pal is just so much worse. I know from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Yawns wrote: »
    https://addresspal.anpost.ie/faq

Item number 23:

Basically if it goes tits up with Address Pal, you get nothing but a P.F.O.

If it goes tits up with parcel Motel you get €100 standard insurance or cost of items worth on invoice. You can also take out a higher insurance for a low enough cost.

I know it can be a pain in the backside dealing with them over a lost item but trust me, Address Pal is just so much worse. I know from experience.

Funny I got a PFO from ParcelMotel when they delivered an empty box to me.
    I have the additional insurance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Sorry if this is answered already but I could not find details in this or the old thread.

If I want to send a parcel to someone else via Parcel Motel.

I pay a fee but will the receiver also have to pay a fee to open the locker or is it just me as the sender that pays everything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'm not saying PM are the best out there. The OP however is annoyed at the insurance only being the standard €100. If they had used Address Pal, they would have got nothing.

I've had a couple of issues with PM myself and it took a little while but got sorted. I had an issue with Address Pal and got no where.

I don't know the specifics of your case but I wouldn't be settling for nothing especially if you had taken the extra insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Sorry if this is answered already but I could not find details in this or the old thread.

I pay a fee but will the receiver also have to pay a fee to open the locker or is it just me as the sender that pays everything?

I just spent ages on Parcel Motel site trying to figure this out; as far as I can tell it is not explained anywhere.

According to this Boards Thread in 2015, there is no receiving fee:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94853600

But that's as confirmed as I have it.
    I plan to send a package next week, so will report back if I can confirm after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No, just the consignor (or the sender when I am not showing off). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I just spent ages on Parcel Motel site trying to figure this out; as far as I can tell it is not explained anywhere.

According to this Boards Thread in 2015, there is no receiving fee:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94853600

But that's as confirmed as I have it.
    I plan to send a package next week, so will report back if I can confirm after this.
    Yes I also spent ages in FAQs and on the Boards thread looking for an answer - maybe it should be put in this FAQ - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056894059
    grogi wrote: »
    No, just the consignor (or the sender when I am not showing off). ;)
    Thank you grogi. The consignee will be happy with this information when he receives the consignment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

One more question on Sending.
    Do I have to send from my registered Parcel Motel, or will it work from any PM?

My usual PM is close to home, but there is one near work that would actually be easier for the drop off.
    I've already printed label, which says

"Drop Off Location: 'My registered PM'", in big writing which seems to imply it needs to go there, but doesn't actually say that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    One more question on Sending.
    Do I have to send from my registered Parcel Motel, or will it work from any PM?

My usual PM is close to home, but there is one near work that would actually be easier for the drop off.
    I've already printed label, which says

"Drop Off Location: 'My registered PM'", in big writing which seems to imply it needs to go there, but doesn't actually say that.

Yes it's only on your registered PM location, you could try contacting PM to ask them to allow post from the other location. If you ever need to send again change the PM to the location you want to send from, after you can change it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Just in process of my final PM delivery , I have an a/c since Aug 2012 and used them over 150 times , An Item was signed for on Tuesday before noon but still not on the Parcel Motel system 24 hours later.
    The Item is High value €240 and this would have been obvious from the packaging.
    I called support and during the call I was on hold for more than 10 mins and the parcel showed up on the system.
    It was oversized and the guy said he would send to local depot ,
    I check today and still saying checked in but nothing re: Home Delivery or Depot Collection , I called again to be be told it was sent to a depot at the other end of the country ! All very fishy.

What is the best alternative?

TimHorton wrote: »

What is the best alternative?

I'm going to look like a shill because this is my second post today but I've found address pal great !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I'm going to look like a shill because this is my second post today but I've found address pal great !

Address-pal is a mess, a number of posters including me still haven't received their packages that were delivered to the St Albans site before Christmas.

I decided to test how much of a delay there is in comparison to address-pal and parcel motel. I bought two items from Tesco direct uk a few days ago one of them addressed to parcel motel and the other to address-pal, the parcel motel item is in my locker ready to be collected since this morning, whilst the other item hasn't even registered on the address-pal system as of yet.

Strange,
    I've had only positive and quick results from them.
    Am trying the home delivery option for the first time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

You’re going to get mixed reviews for all the services.

I’m using a mixture of Parcel Motel, Parcel Wizard and Parcel Connect at the moment.

I only use addressPal if it’s mainland only delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

So I have to send a phone back to a retailer, which i got through parcel motel down to me in cork. I was given a Royal Mail prepaid label (because they assumed I was in the UK still), and saw its possible to send from parcel motel to royal mail in NI, and then onwards to the UK.

I don't believe its possible to use a pre-paid royal mail label in an irish post office (please let me know if it is!), but has anybody else done this before?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Adamstown Parcelmotel broken into last night for the 3rd time, I was up there this morning , they didn’t get much, but lots of damage to the larger cabinets. It was being loaded onto the back of a lorry and it will not be returning to that location so it’s back down to the Foxhunter for the next couple of months until they source a more secure location in the area.

Not scanned in Dublin, thats slow by PM standards.
    DELIVERY RECORDED
    Jan-19-2018, 11:30 AM
    SORTED FOR DELIVERY
    Jan-19-2018, 11:04 AM
    ITEM SCAN
    Jan-18-2018, 19:01 PM

Update:
    Scanned 20 January 2018 at 17:19
    Loaded 20 January 2018 at 21:38

Still very reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I dropped a package off at Parcel Motel on Monday. It was a return to Cragghoppers in the UK using CollectPlus.

It's only my second or third time using PM. First problem the barcode wouldn't scan. Entering it manually was very difficult as screen was above eye level and even in the wintry daylight it was almost impossible to read the screen and the touch screen was not reacting properly. But finally a door popped open, put parcel inside. Before driving away I looked at the typed instructions which said to hit Confirm after putting item in locker. Someone else was using it at this stage so I left.

I got a follow-up text almost immediately.
    "Thank you for using the PM sending and returns service. We will notify you to confirm receipt of your parcel."

But I've had no updates since. I thought I would get an update when parcel was picked up and another when it arrived in Antrim.

On the PM site, the only activity it shows is my last check-in which was in July 2016. Is this typical?

Advertisement