Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Truckermal wrote: »
    What a overpriced kip.

I'd still rather it over a Topaz Restore, horrible overpriced shops with very poor selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

From seeing the frantic final touches being done today, I would expect it to be open in a few days. We'll judge then. The most they'll get out of the location is 5 years though.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Water John wrote: »
    From seeing the frantic final touches being done today, I would expect it to be open in a few days. We'll judge then. The most they'll get out of the location is 5 years though.

It will be literally just off the roundabout so they'll still get plenty of passing trade. And there will still be plenty of traffic on the road in/out of Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Truckermal wrote: »
    What a overpriced kip.
    Where is consistently cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

KOR101 wrote: »
    Where is consistently cheaper?

Plenty of places but not near Macroom though, the Gala shop in Ovens is way nicer and cheaper. The Topaz at the old test centre in Macroom is actually dearer again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Michael Creed opened the Kellehers Topaz on Friday. Stopped in today passing, not the largest store but has almost everything you'd expect in a Topaz.... great to have the option of a decent coffee dock there (the coffee in Lissarda is like tar).

It is not active yet, but the store also has an ATM inside, possibly a handy pit stop for N22 commuters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

That was a fast construction, it really seemed to just take two or three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The refurb of petrol stations is down to a fine art. Each day closed is money lost.
    That coffee machine has made a mint for Pat in Lissarda.
    Good to have a new option.
    The Macroom Lidl shop has coffee in the foyer at a euro if you just need your caffiene fix on your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Water John wrote: »
    The refurb of petrol stations is down to a fine art. Each day closed is money lost.
    That coffee machine has made a mint for Pat in Lissarda.
    Good to have a new option.
    The Macroom Lidl shop has coffee in the foyer at a euro if you just need your caffiene fix on your journey.

Jesus the coffee in lissarda is rank! The coffee in Glenview motors Topaz is worse! No parking outside this place for me so it's back to the Thermos again!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No funding was allocated to accelerate this scheme in the Capital plan, so it will start construction in Q1 2020.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2017-11-22a.93

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

marno21 wrote: »
    No funding was allocated to accelerate this scheme in the Capital plan, so it will start construction in Q1 2020.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2017-11-22a.93

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD: A5 posts moved. No further discussion of NI roads in this thread please

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=123108

Tender out for technical consultants to take this all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The sooner this is done the better.

Drove to Killarney last Sunday, it reminded me of why i hate driving that road in its current format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Would they do this unless they were planning to start soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

KOR101 wrote: »
    Would they do this unless they were planning to start soon?

9 month tender process that they weren't going to start until funding was allocated. It's a good sign for a possible 2019 start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

From the Marno21's post in the Capital Plan thread
    TII allocations for 2018:

Capital plan

Scheme title | Allocation (€)
    N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin | 3,000,000
    N5 Westport to Turlough | 6,550,000
    M7 Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade | 20,500,000
    N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange | 500,000
    N22 Macroom to Ballyvourney | 4,000,000
    N56 Dungloe to Glenties | 7,250,000
    N56 Mouncharles to Inver | 4,720,000
    N59 Moycullen BP | 400,000
    |
    N2 Slane BP | 1,700,000
    N6 Galway City Bypass | 2,000,000
    N21/N69 Foynes to Limerick | 1,000,000
    M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy | 300,000
    N72 Mallow Relief Road | 300,000

Other major schemes
    Scheme title | Allocation
    N2 Ardee-Castleblayney | 400,000
    N2 Clontibret-NI Border | 400,000
    N3 M50 to Clonee | 50,000
    M4 Maynooth-Leixlip | 25,000
    N5 Ballaghaderreen to Longford | 70,000
    M7 Junction 28 upgrade | 50,000
    M50/M11 to Kilmacanogue | 300,000
    N13 Ballybofey/Stranorlar BP | 2,400,000**
    N13 Letterkenny DC Upgrade | 2,4000,000**
    N14 Letterkenny to Lifford | 2,400,000**
    N56 Letterkenny Relief Road | 2,400,000**
    M20 Cork to Limerick | 1,500,000
    N3 upgrade near Dublin | 300,000
    N52 Ardee bypass | 2,000,000
    N55 Ballymahon-Athlone | 400,000
    N59 Clifden to Oughterard | 2,000,000
    N59 Westport-Mulranny | 4,000,000
    N69 Listowel bypass | 100,000
    N86 Tralee to Dingle | 4,700,000

** 1m shared between four schemes, early planning done together

In addition, a number of pipeline schemes are to be reactivated in 2018, each receiving an allocation of €25,000

* N2 Ashbourne-Kilmoon Cross
    * N3 Virginia Bypass
    * N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod
    * N4 Mullingar-Roosky (400k allocation)
    * N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare Harbour
    * N14/N15 to A5 Link
    * N17 Knock to Tobercurry
    * N17 Collooney-Tobercurry
    * N21 Abbeyfeale relief road
    * N21 Newcastlewest relief road
    * N22 Farranfore to Killarney
    * N24 Cahir to Waterford
    * N24 Cahir-Limerick Junction
    * N25 Waterford-Glenmore
    * N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton
    * N40 Cork North Ring Road
    * N52 Tullamore-Kilbeggan

What will €4m get us in 2019?

Benildus wrote: »
    From the Marno21's post in the Capital Plan thread

What will €4m get us in 2019?

Finalise land acquistion if needed, finalise any advance works, also paying for the tender process.

I fail to see how this won't start in 2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Finalise land acquistion if needed, finalise any advance works, also paying for the tender process.

I fail to see how this won't start in 2019

I hope you're right.

It's great to see the scheme get the 5th highest allocation for 2019. There's no turning back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

Will this project start in 2019?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Q1 2020

spacetweek wrote: »
    Q1 2020

Can't understand why this project can't be put out to official tender this year and then have a 2019 start? From passing by the route it looks like most of the works on the ground are complete.

Our great Transport Minister says Q1 2020 but our Taoiseach said 2019 recently.

I would trust the Taoiseach to know better given Ross' track record of not knowing anything about anything under his remit.

2019 is certainly feasible if funding is provided for 2019. It's at the tender stage already so i can see a late 2019 start.

If so we'll have 2 Cork projects (Dunkettle) on the ground in early 2020. First time more than 1 major project was on the ground together in Cork since the Fermoy bypass/Ballincollig bypass/Kinsale Road flyover back around 2006 or possibly the M8 schemes near Mitchelstown in 2008 or so

Our great Transport Minister says Q1 2020 but our Taoiseach said 2019 recently.

I would trust the Taoiseach to know better given Ross' track record of not knowing anything about anything under his remit.

2019 is certainly feasible if funding is provided for 2019. It's at the tender stage already so i can see a late 2019 start.

If so we'll have 2 Cork projects (Dunkettle) on the ground in early 2020. First time more than 1 major project was on the ground together in Cork since the Fermoy bypass/Ballincollig bypass/Kinsale Road flyover back around 2006 or possibly the M8 schemes near Mitchelstown in 2008 or so

Here's hoping the Taoiseach sticks to his word and brings it forward to construction in 2019. Should be opened by 2022 all going well so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Ross is the worst Minister for Transport I’ve seen yet. Zero interest in capital expenditure. The only thing he seems to care about is reducing the alcohol blood limit. Zero interest in improved policing around drink driving funnily enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is the macroom bypass going to start near coolcower then? And then be built in one go to bypass ballyvourney? Thats gonna be some build...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Here's hoping the Taoiseach sticks to his word and brings it forward to construction in 2019. Should be opened by 2022 all going well so?
    I came through the tunnel last night from the Mahon side at about 6.30, what a nightmare, then over on the other side there were 2 separate crashes in less than 100 yards.
    Ross is the worst Minister for Transport I’ve seen yet.

Can't say i'm a fan of his either, but hard to say who was the best at the same time in recent memory, Seamus Brennan maybe? For the penalty points system?

Varadkar as transport minister wasn't very kind to Cork, Pascal Donohoe was no better.

Martin Cullen was called 'clueless Cullen' for a reason.

Going back to Brennan's term as minister i recall the Macroom bypass being mentioned, that was 16 years ago at least, this road was mooted well before that again.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is the macroom bypass going to start near coolcower then? And then be built in one go to bypass ballyvourney? Thats gonna be some build...

Yeah straight through i think, 22 km's or there abouts all in.

From Coolcower to the Ballincollig bypass would have been ideal as well, but sure look, it has gotten this far.

I know very little about the details of the project itself, just that i am sick of the current road like us all.

There has been talk of macroom getting this bypass for the last thirty years but hopefully now it'll start in the next 18 to 24 months. If any town needs a bypass this most certainly is it shocking road to travel on.

• Advertisement

There has been talk of macroom getting this bypass for the last thirty years but hopefully now it'll start in the next 18 to 24 months. If any town needs a bypass this most certainly is it shocking road to travel on.

Widely accepted to be the biggest bottle neck of a town in the country without a bypass, or so i believe.

I won't lie and say i'm not like a spoilt child in a sweet shop at the idea of driving from Cork to Kerry and avoiding the town for traffic reasons.

Advertisement