Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,211 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nearby!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Benildus wrote: »
    I wonder why instead of finishing at Coolcower at the 1st bridge, it couldn't have been routed north of the reservoir to finish at the second bridge back over the reservoir before Lissarda. That would then mean missing the bad bit between the 2 bridges.
    This section was originally part of the N22 Ovens to Ballyvourney scheme, which was 43km to be progressed as one. Coolcower to the western end of the Ballincollig bypass was to be motorway standard and the current Macroom-Ballyvourney section was to be wide single. The Macroom-Ovens DC would've sorted the section east of Coolcower.

I hope the Macroom-Ovens section is progressed in the medium term. It isn't the worst national primary road but its heavily congested and dangerous in parts. It was recommended to be DC as far as Farrans in the 1998 Road Needs Study which proposed a fair chunk of the N9 to be wide single so its definately justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Truckermal wrote:
    That's to keep the guy who owns adjoining land from dumping cars in there, he is some pain in the arse too driving that road doing 60 KPH in a 99 Audi A6.

That's not the guy who lives by 2mile bridge, he drives a Micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

marno21 wrote: »
    This section was originally part of the N22 Ovens to Ballyvourney scheme, which was 43km to be progressed as one. Coolcower to the western end of the Ballincollig bypass was to be motorway standard and the current Macroom-Ballyvourney section was to be wide single. The Macroom-Ovens DC would've sorted the section east of Coolcower.

I hope the Macroom-Ovens section is progressed in the medium term. It isn't the worst national primary road but its heavily congested and dangerous in parts. It was recommended to be DC as far as Farrans in the 1998 Road Needs Study which proposed a fair chunk of the N9 to be wide single so its definately justified.

I can imagine once the Macroom bypass is done, will make it easier to pressure the minister to fill in "the missing piece of the puzzle" on the Cork-Killarney route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

This discovery will probably delay things with the Macroom BP getting off the ground for a bit longer.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bronze-age-ring-fort-among-sites-discovered-on-macroom-road-route-457841.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

This discovery will probably delay things with the Macroom BP getting off the ground for a bit longer.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bronze-age-ring-fort-among-sites-discovered-on-macroom-road-route-457841.html

ahhhhhhhhhh *sad face*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Or as Danny Healy-Rae might say, the fairies are in control of the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

The Lee Valley is one of the richest historical areas in the country. They'll find something in every second field.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Benildus wrote: »

ahhhhhhhhhh *sad face*

Don't despair! That part of Cork is well-known to be full of archaeological finds. The time for a thorough investigation will have been included in the estimated prep time. I think it partly explains why we haven't seen any definitive start dates before 2019. I personally find the results of these pre-construction digs fascinating - it's easy to forget how long and rich our country's history is.

Historical interests aside, I drive this road a lot and can't wait for this upgrade either. Step by step, we'll get our bypass, and will never have to drive through Macroom, Baile Mhic Ire, or any of those terrible twists between them again. :^)

• Advertisement

Anybody get any feed back on the second part, to Ovens being done? One source telling me it will but I really don't believe it.

Water John wrote: »
    Anybody get any feed back on the second part, to Ovens being done? One source telling me it will but I really don't believe it.

Haven't heard anything here, all the focus seems to be on the Macroom part of the N22. How connected is your source? Did he or she give any target dates?

No, wouldn't trust him. May be firing it off for his own reasons. Just wanted to check if there was anything on the informal grapevine. Thanks for replying.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Ovens-Macroom section will likely go back into planning soon, but it won't start construction this side of 2024.

Thanks Marno. I accept that it wont be built until the present phase is done.

My thinking is that it makes no sense, bridging the river with a motorway at Coolcower and then revert a few years later to staying north of the river.

Once the whole lot is done including ovens, will that effectively be a straight run from the Cork/Kerry border to Dublin once the Dunkettle interchange is done on top of this?

Once the whole lot is done including ovens, will that effectively be a straight run from the Cork/Kerry border to Dublin once the Dunkettle interchange is done on top of this?
    Roundabout east of Macroom that would likely be grade seperated as part of the M22/N22 scheme but thats about it. First stoppage from Dublin to Killarney would be the level crossing at Minish just east of Killarney. (or the Douglas flyover if it's peak time) (also assuming you have a toll tag for the 2 tolls).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

You would have Dual Carriageway and Motorway standard all the way from the bottom of the County bounds outside Ballyvourney not just to Dublin but all the ways as far as Antrim. With the Randalstown roundabout connecting the A1 to the M1 above in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Doltanian wrote: »

You would have Dual Carriageway and Motorway standard all the way from the bottom of the County bounds outside Ballyvourney not just to Dublin but all the ways as far as Antrim. With the Randalstown roundabout connecting the A1 to the M1 above in the north.

That's Sprucefield roundabout ;-)

Plus, Hillsborough roundabout is just before Sprucefield, so you'd hit that first. And that's County Down. Just.

• Advertisement

Plus, Hillsborough roundabout is just before Sprucefield, so you'd hit that first. And that's County Down. Just.

But, discounting non-grade-seperated junctions, it'd be dual and motorway the whole way as far as the A26/A44 split, 10 miles north of Ballymena, or very soon, as far as Castledawson roundabout, on the A6 in County Derry.

Ye're forgetting the new Brexit custom post!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Water John wrote: »
    Ye're forgetting the new Brexit custom post!!!

Eirexit perhaps?

Middle Man wrote: »
    Eirexit perhaps?

Leo wouldn't dare allow us vote on that.

Us Irish need to be top of the class for our European masters.

Back on topic;

This will be an interesting route once fully completed.

Is there a timeline for completion before recent developments were discovered?I remember this bypass being discussed on the late 1990's

Back on topic;

Is there a timeline for completion before recent developments were discovered?I remember this bypass being discussed on the late 1990's

Current projected start date is Q1 2020 due to funding constraints. That should be easily achievable even with archaelogical delays.

Should be open to traffic in 2022.

Leo wouldn't dare allow us vote on that.
    Thank goodness we have someone sensible at the top! :D 
    Current projected start date is Q1 2020 due to funding constraints. That should be easily achievable even with archaeological delays.

I wonder, if the Ovens section happens to come through in the capital plan, will they hold off construction and just do the whole road at once. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what exactly is included when they finally announce it.

One thing appears certain, this will be done and dusted and the M20 will still be a mere discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Back on topic;

Current projected start date is Q1 2020 due to funding constraints. That should be easily achievable even with archaelogical delays.

There is extra money which will be allocated when the Capital Programme Review is published.

http://www.per.gov.ie/en/capital-investment-plan-2016-2021/

We can at least hope it will be moved forward by say a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Roundabout east of Macroom that would likely be grade seperated as part of the M22/N22 scheme but thats about it.
    Can you explain what 'Grade Separated' means?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

KOR101 wrote: »
    Can you explain what 'Grade Separated' means?
    Where a junction is constructed on two or more levels so as to allow free flowing traffic conditions on at least one mainline therethrough.

Advertisement