Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It might be a case of patience. it's encouraging to see the ECM is still sustaining the cold. It's stating the obvious, but it's what happens to the high after day 8. The key as we all know is for more energy to go under the block than over it. Even in the worst case scenario we should have a couple of cold and crisp days, much better than the dank and dreary days of a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

It might be a case of patience. it's encouraging to see the ECM is still sustaining the cold. It's stating the obvious, but it's what happens to the high after day 8. The key as we all know is for more energy to go under the block than over it. Even in the worst case scenario we should have a couple of cold and crisp days, much better than the dank and dreary days of a few weeks ago
    Aye
    I could be completely wrong but if the energy out of the states has only an undercut route which seems plausible at the moment,then it’s not Moscow’s surface air we’d be looking at eventually it would be Novosibirsk’s :D
    Hey GS, I was having a look at some of the Archive charts of Feb 1991, it's the one cold spell that sticks in my mind. Was that a straight Easterly via a Scandinavian High or Northeasterly ?

Scandinavia but with some northeasterlys in its latter stages delivering quite a snowstorm in east Wicklow ,about 6 inches fell in a day,lasting about 5 days before the thaw

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hey GS, I was having a look at some of the Archive charts of Feb 1991, it's the one cold spell that sticks in my mind. Was that a straight Easterly via a Scandinavian High or Northeasterly ?

Didnt that start as rain and then turned to snow and kept snowing

Didnt that start as rain and then turned to snow and kept snowing

Nope
    It was an Irish Sea shower train event

Just another plea ,can we keep this to analysis,there’s scope for a bit of talk about comparisons but not much,that’s better in the dedicated thread

The GFS in its last run had a snowy break down next week. I think we can safely say at this stage we are going to get at least a few cold and dry days out of this.
    Which will be welcome relief to many after the all the flooding and wind lately.
    There might be some snow around the east on Saturday night and into Sunday, but with pressure high it might be a more sleety mix lower down. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The Atlantic tries to break through on Tuesday on the ECM 12z but the easterlies win the battle.

irND0Sl.gif

uUQXnLN.gif

They’re not easterlies though,they are traceable all the way Southeast to Baghdad
    A city not renowned as a source of cold for either Europe or Ireland
    The nice East fetch Synoptics are gone and cold air advection is GONE
    What’s worse is it’s an entirely plausible outcome
    The final ignominy would be if the sliding lows currently aimed at Spain and Italy gathered strength and returned northwestwards through Europe to give us a wet day ...

They’re not easterlies though,they are traceable all the way Southeast to Baghdad
    A city not renowned as a source of cold for either Europe or Ireland
    The nice East fetch Synoptics are gone and cold air advection is GONE
    What’s worse is it’s an entirely plausible outcome
    The final ignominy would be if the sliding lows currently aimed at Spain and Italy gathered strength and returned northwestwards through Europe to give us a wet day ...

What happened to being optimistic?

Also, what's this then?

DKrJ3fi.gif

yCQEUTA.gif

The westerlies start to dominate again by day 10.

87luxY2.gif

The upper airs aren't particularly warm though.

XvRNOCl.gif

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The westerlies start to dominate again by day 10.

87luxY2.gif

The upper airs aren't particularly warm though.

XvRNOCl.gif

There’s optimistic and there’s delusional
    You need CAA and there is none in any of those charts
    There’s optimism and hoping for miracles in this pattern change
    The Mediterranean is not a source of CAA
    The high has sank and tilted too much and it’s a plausible outcome not trumped by the North America energy also heading SE
    It’s the ultimate insult tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

derekon wrote: »
    I fully expect the whole thing to go belly up , already the cold is being watered down with a wee tweak here and there, ref comments on Netweather

Been here too many times with respect to possible snow in Ireland - whatever can go wrong will go wrong due to the VERY marginal nature of snow in Ireland

Expect downgrades later today

D

As predicted, the upcoming cold spell with a possibility of snow has been watered down to a few cool days with night frosts. No chance of snow in the coming week for Ireland.

Key lessons for newbies:

1. Trust no charts beyond 4-5 days
    2. Look at the wider picture, no cold to tap into in Europe at the moment
    3. You really need to see the three main models buy into cold. GFS just wasn't buying it.

If you follow the above in terms of snow hunting in Ireland you won't go far wrong!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

derekon wrote: »
    As predicted, the upcoming cold spell with a possibility of snow has been watered down to a few cool days with night frosts. No chance of snow in the coming week for Ireland.

Key lessons for newbies:

1. Trust no charts beyond 4-5 days
    2. Look at the wider picture, no cold to tap into in Europe at the moment
    3. You really need to see the three main models buy into cold. GFS just wasn't buying it.

If you follow the above in terms of snow hunting in Ireland you won't go far wrong!

D

Yup, the overnight 0z models are even worse for coldies I am afraid. This weekend gets a touch milder again and the easterly no longer happens except for a very watered down affair for a day on the ecm.

This thread is for the weekend. As specified next week is full of uncertainty.

Post in the 120 + thread for that.
    I love your threads Kermit but unless that Scandinavia high moves north,a sw near Iceland disappears,there is NO uncertainty that we are NOT entering a cold spell
    More like a return to Atlantic weather after a brief lull

The UKMO 12Z. 120 High sinking towards Russia
    UKMO 144 southerlies and southwesterlies

I won’t sicken ye with the charts but it has the US energy barreling towards us

Once that’s gone the default route so soon as opposed to what we thought (or I thought) we were looking forward to in the output just a few days ago which had several days of the rare undercut route
    Once it does that, it’s curtains
    Couple of weeks of this I fear is odds on being our climate,and another heart of winter wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Once that’s gone the default route so soon as opposed to what we thought (or I thought) we were looking forward to in the output just a few days ago which had several days of the rare undercut route
    Couple of weeks of this I fear is odds on being our climate,and another heart of winter wasted

What are you saying here are we going to get more storms or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Times like this i just want to say hit the middle ground.

Nothing is as good (2 days ago) or as bad (today) as it seems. Give it 5-7 days and we'll still only be around 10th January and we may have different signals.

Just because most other winters with current trends went belly up for cold and snow doesn't necessarily mean this one will.

The weather will do it's own thing. Just 4th January. Probably we're all feeling a bit the after Christmas come down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

That's a pretty well split vortex, Heights to our north and could easily develop into a very good outcome for us down the line. I agree we had taken steps back but the 12z's are an improvement going forward in my eyes. As long as the Azores High doesn't push into europe our cold options are still on the table.

Okay so we don't have the bitter snowy easterly that the ECM and GEM had been showing just yet but this is far far away from a bad NH profile if you like colder weather.

UKMOPNH12_144_1.png

The forecast senor Pangea linked to last night looks to be a good call. The Atlantic might not fully break down the block as quickly as some models suggest, but will eventually due to events across the Altantic. If you like cold and crisp days and frosty nights then you will enjoy this weekend, at least.

To think some people don't blows my mind!

Well i suppose if we all thought the same life would be boring, but that said people who prefer mild and cloudy weather over crisp winter days need their heads examined:p You won't find many weather picture forums with shots of mild and dreary days!

I hate the words downgrade or upgrade
    It’s very unmetorological to describe charts that merely correct themselves as downgrades or upgrades
    It’s language that started over on the UK fora

Anyway here’s tonight’s ECM 120
    Just 5 days away,the short lived hp is blasted out of it and we are back to southerlies,southwesterlies and a conveyer belt of Atlantic lows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I hate the words downgrade or upgrade
    It’s very unmetorological to describe charts that merely correct themselves as downgrades or upgrades
    It’s language that started over on the UK fora

Anyway here’s tonight’s ECM 120
    Just 5 days away,the short lived hp is blasted out of it and we are back to southerlies,southwesterlies and a conveyer belt of Atlantic lows

Back to Atlantic lows? Have we really had that many this season other than this week?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Back to Atlantic lows? Have we really had that many this season other than this week?

Well I’d hate to count the number I’ve seen in my lifetime versus snow storms :O
    So yeah

The block is still steady enough to ensure the Atlantic does not plough through all the way to the contininent, but there is just too much energy coming out towards Greenland to stop it from going under the block and producing a snowy nirvana for us. This is why tears are being shed tonight in Arklow:(

If that monster low over the states had taken a different track we might have had waa heading up into Greenland. That may have led to a Greenland High.

It does seem to be the case that if north america is very warm at this time of year we have a much better chance of seeing colder weather here. I recall back in December 2010 it was unusually warm in Alaska at that time. Also a friend of mine over in Alberta had very warm weather at the same time. I think there is something in this, as anytime we get noticeably cold weather, she seems to have quite warm weather by their standards

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

The block is still steady enough to ensure the Atlantic does not plough through all the way to the contininent, but there is just too much energy coming out towards Greenland to stop it from going under the block and producing a snowy nirvana for us. This is why tears are being shed tonight in Arklow:(

If that monster low over the states had taken a different track we might have had waa heading up into Greenland. That may have led to a Greenland High.

It does seem to be the case that if north america is very warm at this time of year we have a much better chance of seeing colder weather here. I recall back in December 2010 it was unusually warm in Alaska at that time. Also a friend of mine over in Alberta had very warm weather at the same time. I think there is something in this, as anytime we get noticeably cold weather, she seems to have quite warm weather by their standards

Very True. Every time in Calgary when it gets warm in Winter, Ireland/UK gets colder weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I don't get all the sudden negativity here, other than one or two ECMWF runs that showed cold eventually reaching us in over a weeks time the charts never looked interesting in the first place. Even the 'best' runs from the past couple of days showed a brief cool easterly at the weekend before high pressure built and lasted all week. There was no cold pool forecast over Europe so it took a good 8-9 days for any real cold to reach us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I don't get all the sudden negativity here, other than one or two ECMWF runs that showed cold eventually reaching us in over a weeks time the charts never looked interesting in the first place. Even the 'best' runs from the past couple of days showed a brief cool easterly at the weekend before high pressure built and lasted all week. There was no cold pool forecast over Europe so it took a good 8-9 days for any real cold to reach us

It could be all for the best.. Let Europe cool down and the second half of January might prove better than a meek semblance of an easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Billcarson

nagdefy wrote: »
    It could be all for the best.. Let Europe cool down and the second half of January might prove better than a meek semblance of an easterly.

Can't remember the last time Ireland had a decent cold spell during the second half of a January though. Don't think I've seen much if any lying snow for example during that part of Jan since the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

At +240 what could possibly go wrong?

ECM1-240.GIF?06-0

At +240 what could possibly go wrong?

ECM1-240.GIF?06-0

Queues at the car wash due to eastern Saharan dust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECMOPEU12_120_1.png

ECMOPEU12_120_2.png

Siberian air prepping to move down in to the continent at 120 hrs. Get a cold pool in place to tap in the event of an easterly.

Fun times ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement