Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Strat warming now starting to appear consistently on the GFS also -

gfsnh-10-324.png?6

At this stage that may be helpful for February:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All aboard the Greenland express next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Strat warming now starting to appear consistently on the GFS also -

gfsnh-10-324.png?6

That's looking really dark....I can hear the theme tune of the Omen...... ramping it up now.....yehawwww

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Looking like we could get a dumping in parts next week i love cold zonal weather with tight isobars endless feed of snow showers the 850 uppers are -5 to -6 for 4 days and dam line sub 520 could be some nice snow depths before it all ends.

Dew points are excellent as well for 4 days. Looking forward to this just a couple of more runs then this is locked in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

booferking wrote: »
    Looking like we could get a dumping in parts next week i love cold zonal weather with tight isobars endless feed of snow showers the 850 uppers are -5 to -6 for 4 days and dam line sub 520 could be some nice snow depths before it all ends.

Dew points are excellent as well for 4 days. Looking forward to this just a couple of more runs then this is locked in my eyes.

It would not surprise me if the uppers are in fact a few degrees higher than what the models are currently showing, we are still a week away and the models generally overstate how low the uppers are at this range. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Not to mention -4 to -6C from long fetch westerlies aren't gonna do much in the first place, looks like the usual high ground north and west event with maybe a few in the midlands seeing slushy snow. Squally hail showers along the west coast will likely be of more interest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Current ECM 12Z run showing some windy weather next week and possibly stormy around Weds /Thurs.

850 hPa winds

VsI318a.gif?1

tempresult_byh8.gif

29th Jan 2015 5inches at my location and all of ulster had a good covering quite similar to what is being shown on mods at the minute only this one is progged to last 2-3 days longer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31015587

https://fs.nwstatic.co.uk/monthly_2018_01/Screenshot_20180110-212815.png.decd2983e4190e326be53120923f48ab.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

29th Jan 2015 5inches at my location and all of ulster had a good covering quite similar to what is being shown on mods at the minute only this one is progged to last 2-3 days longer.

https://fs.nwstatic.co.uk/monthly_2018_01/Screenshot_20180110-212815.png.decd2983e4190e326be53120923f48ab.png

Rather uninspiring country wide though from a cursory glance at the threads on this forum even for much of the west if the 29th of January is the template
    Ironically there was a brief covering in south Dublin versus just sleet in Galway and Kerry
    Mountainy man was fed up of the snow up in the Sligo hills,it had been a cold few weeks in hilly regions

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057352912&page=17

Rather uninspiring country wide though from a cursory glance at the threads on this forum even for much of the west if the 29th of January is the template
    Ironically there was a brief covering in south Dublin versus just sleet in Galway and Kerry
    Mountainy man was fed up of the snow up in the Sligo hills,it had been a cold few weeks in hilly regions

There where quite widespread snow events for some but as you know every event does not bring snow to all even in the coldest spells anyway 18z upgraded the 850s again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

There where quite widespread snow events for some but as you know every event does not bring snow to all even in the coldest spells anyway 18z upgraded the 850s again.

Are you at altitude booferking? It will be interesting to watch anyway though not too hopeful of anything substantial at lower levels anyway. There is usually something which goes wrong and it usually happens in the last 24 hours!

Try looking for the upcoming cold spell Jan 2015 thread nobody would have been reporting in the Current weather conditions it would have been in cold spell thread. (ie)pics of snow

Are you at altitude booferking? It will be interesting to watch anyway though not too hopeful of anything substantial at lower levels anyway. There is usually something which goes wrong and it usually happens in the last 24 hours!

No I'm just well inland Tyrone cookstown 74mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Not to mention -4 to -6C from long fetch westerlies aren't gonna do much in the first place, looks like the usual high ground north and west event with maybe a few in the midlands seeing slushy snow. Squally hail showers along the west coast will likely be of more interest
    Not exactly a long fetch westerly, this airflow is straight off the Greenland icecap rather than originating in the Canadian Arctic. Still, theres a lot of of ocean that will have a moderating effect.
    Places west of the Shannon should see a covering with temperatures dropping like a stone in frequent and heavy wintry showers.

fax120s.gif?1

Not exactly a long fetch westerly, this airflow is straight off the Greenland icecap rather than originating in the Canadian Arctic. Still, theres a lot of of ocean that will have a moderating effect.
    Places west of the Shannon should see a covering with temperatures dropping like a stone in frequent and heavy wintry showers.

fax120s.gif?1
    Yes looks better than 2015 on that fax,much better

fax120s.gif?1
    Yes looks better than 2015 on that fax,much better

Found the thread for Jan 2015.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057368366/32?

Yep does look better than 2015 fingers crossed. ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Found the thread for Jan 2015.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057368366/32?

Yep does look better than 2015 fingers crossed. #4242;

Yes 2015 is not the template. This so far looks much colder given the source. Lets hope it does not get downgraded in the mean time.
    Though I don't see it lasting four days before turning to more mixed wintry precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

fax120s.gif?1

That fetch from the southeast tip of Greenland to Belmullet is still over 2000 km. Looks like 850 air of down to below -15 °C and dewpoints around -6 to -9 will be coming off the land over the weekend, but the sea there is 5 °C, rising to 11 °C mid track. By the time it gets to us the ECM has 850 temps of only -4 or -5 at around 1200-1300 m and surface dewpoints above 0, with the bulk of the coldest upper levels (700 and 500 hPa) - and hence the heaviest convection - off to our north. For me it's another wishy washy northwesterly in store, snow on hills, especially in the north, but more mixed at lowest levels.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/166-w-529-n/temperature-850hpa/20180115-2100z.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Shedbebreezy

That fetch from the southeast tip of Greenland to Belmullet is still over 2000 km. Looks like 850 air of down to below -15 °C and dewpoints around -6 to -9 will be coming off the land over the weekend, but the sea there is 5 °C, rising to 11 °C mid track. By the time it gets to us the ECM has 850 temps of only -4 or -5 at around 1200-1300 m and surface dewpoints above 0, with the bulk of the coldest upper levels (700 and 500 hPa) - and hence the heaviest convection - off to our north. For me it's another wishy washy northwesterly in store, snow on hills, especially in the north, but more mixed at lowest levels.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/166-w-529-n/temperature-850hpa/20180115-2100z.html

GFS looks more promising

The latest GFS has lower upper air temperatures and dew points low enough for snow to lay. If the GFS is correct there should be some snow at lower levels in the north and west by midweek. Although one caveat is the GFS sometimes can over do these parameters.

• Advertisement

GFS looks more promising
    The latest GFS has lower upper air temperatures and dew points low enough for snow to lay. If the GFS is correct there should be some snow at lower levels in the north and west by midweek. Although one caveat is the GFS sometimes can over do these parameters.

Of course, the GFS. Stands for "Generates Fake Snow". I have little faith in it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Rather a wishy wash north westerly than an easterly,they rarely provide any snowfall in the west.

Squally heavy hail showers beating off the window at night and cracks of thunder.potentially stormy too.bliss.

I'm all excited about the Greenland express next week,Choo chooo :)

Rather a wishy wash north westerly than an easterly,they rarely provide any snowfall in the west.

Squally heavy hail showers beating off the window at night and cracks of thunder.potentially stormy too.bliss.

I'm all excited about the Greenland express next week,Choo chooo :)

Wee look like being too close to the jet. If it was a couple of degrees further south then the prospects would be better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Of course, the GFS. Stands for "Generates Fake Snow". I have little faith in it anymore.

Been here many many times before and I have to say your usually spot on when it comes to these situations ,

Hopefully it does deliver for the folks on the west coast , charts do look promising but that long long sea fetch will scupper 9 times out of 10

18z gfs’s are the last place to dredge FI for snow though
    The more detailed analysis posted earlier by GL is concerning for snowfans but at that distance out into FI there will be many changes
    I’d imagine sustained escapes of super cold out of NA would eventually lower mid Atlantic 850 temps still further
    But we don’t have those
    North America is warming up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Greenland to here across the mid Atlantic is a fairly long fetch over relatively mild water. I find in a lot of these situations the models eventually correct the jet slightly northwards as well so I see it ending up as our usual affair, probably with a mild sector in between as well rather than 3 days straight of mP airflow.

Parts of Cavan, Monaghan etc could get a covering of snow but for the most part it'll be high ground NW and a dusting at best elsewhere. I'd gladly be proven wrong!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Shedbebreezy

Greenland to here across the mid Atlantic is a fairly long fetch over relatively mild water. I find in a lot of these situations the models eventually correct the jet slightly northwards as well so I see it ending up as our usual affair, probably with a mild sector in between as well rather than 3 days straight of mP airflow.

Parts of Cavan, Monaghan etc could get a covering of snow but for the most part it'll be high ground NW and a dusting at best elsewhere. I'd gladly be proven wrong!

You're forgetting Donegal, Donegal, unless you live by the coast. Derry and Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I'd also keep an eye out on thicknesses and 500 hPa temps as they can make a difference when it comes to snow. As we already know Atlantic cold is rarely productive here on the E coast and I would define a good W or NW snap as one where I get a few snow showers and perhaps a dusting of a cm or two. Nothing to get excited about but I'll take anything in these bleak times.

The more detailed analysis posted earlier by GL is concerning for snowfans but at that distance out into FI there will be many changes
    I’d imagine sustained escapes of super cold out of NA would eventually lower mid Atlantic 850 temps still further
    But we don’t have those
    North America is warming up[/QUOTE]

It's a analysis based on one model while ignoring the other. He might well be right about the gfs, we'll see
    The flow as currently depicted will have some potent arctic air in the mix, which should see some areas in the north and west, away from high ground, having modest accumlations of snow for a day or two before the airmass gets modified too much.

edit: Actually, to be fair, it's an analysis based on his own intuition and experience in his chosen field, with just a reference to the ECM, which echoes his own thoughts on next week. I hope he is wrong though:)

• Advertisement

But we don’t have those
    North America is warming up

It's a analysis based on one model while ignoring the other. He might well be right about the gfs, we'll see
    The flow as currently depicted will have some potent arctic air in the mix, which should see some areas in the north and west, away from high ground, having modest accumlations of snow for a day or two before the airmass gets modified too much.

edit: Actually, to be fair, it's an analysis based on his own intuition and experience in his chosen field, with just a reference to the ECM, which echoes his own thoughts on next week. I hope he is wrong though:)

I quoted the ECM as it's by far the best model imo, but several others are in agreement with it. The GFS consistently underestimates modification in cold outbreaks. It's an acknowledged bias.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement