Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Phase 1 Discussion from 6th/7th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Friday / Saturday and if it develops futher we will look at it then

Saturday/Sunday ;)

tempresult_rxs7.gif

tempresult_ztp9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Saturday/Sunday ;)

tempresult_rxs7.gif

tempresult_ztp9.gif

Very tame affair altogether. No real low-level cold there to tap into and heights rising all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Saturday/Sunday ;)

tempresult_rxs7.gif

tempresult_ztp9.gif

Nothing there screams worthy of a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

the overnight 0z models are even worse for coldies I am afraid. This weekend gets a touch milder again and the easterly no longer happens except for a very watered down affair for a day on the ecm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The ball was burst yesterday, it has been buried today, not sure why people are in denial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This thread is for the weekend. As specified next week is full of uncertainty.

Post in the 120 + thread for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Not what we hoped for but nothing mild about this weekend for east coast even on 6z gfs...

75-7UK.GIF?04-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Not what we hoped for but nothing mild about this weekend for east coast even on 6z gfs...

75-7UK.GIF?04-6

Showers Dublin northwards on that
    Mixed wintry precipitation probably
    Nothing too exciting,certainly no need for a thread in hindsight but we have one now
    Next week back to Atlantic goodness after our high sinks
    Terrible model guidance in the last week,and an agregious error by me to be optimistic based on models that post 48hours simply discieve again and again
    They’re fine giving a broader scale idea of what’s there
    But for forecasting you need experienced human brains

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'll enjoy the nice proper frosts anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nothing too exciting,certainly no need for a thread in hindsight but we have one now
    Terrible model guidance in the last week,and an agregious error by me to be optimistic based on models that post 48hours simply discieve again and again

Well intuition will always make you doubt model ouput showing an unstable north easterlies because nine times out of 10 snowy easterlies and north easterlies prove to be phantoms. That's why you won't see Met Eireann forecasters mentioning an unstable northeasterly airflow five days in advance.
    Also, bearing all this in mind, it's easy for the posters who say i told you so... to be right. We should always, as has been said many times before, hope for the best but manage our expectations
    if we live long enough we should see an easterly or a north easterly depicted on a model come to fruition at some stage. of course we- those of us who like snow, would all love if it happened frequently, but then again if we were guranteed heavy snow every winter, and violent thunderstorms every summer, would we appreciate them as much as we do? I doubt I would to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Whats the feelings on this ?

Close and move to general winter thread ?

P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Only said what happened to being optimistic because you told us to be optimistic, pretty hypocritical.
    So stay positive coldies
    Whats the feelings on this ?

Close and move to general winter thread ?

P

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Proper Easterly Blasts have gone the way of summer Spanish plumes these days!! Haven't experienced eithier for decades at this stage - I guess I was spoilt in the 80's;)

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Only said what happened to being optimistic because you told us to be optimistic, pretty hypocritical.

Frankly,this kind of nonsense is what makes this forum unwelcoming
    In fairness you need to google hypocritical and negativity to get a proper understanding of them because you are wrong about my attitude

When there’s decent Synoptics ,I’ll suggest positivity about them
    There was and I did
    When they’re gone I’ll be realistic
    My statement about being positive related to what we had in front of us versus common enough posts of the it’s all going to go wrong variety
    I don’t work like that and I don’t believe anyone should
    I’m also not of the stupid winter is over brigade

However What I won’t be at all is Alice in wonderland pulling non existent rabbits out of hats
    There will be no rabbits for a few weeks I’m afraid
    That dawned on me the other night
    No point pretending

No need to close this thread,there could still be some snow about this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Frankly,this kind of nonsense is what makes this forum unwelcoming
    In fairness you need to google hypocritical and negativity to get a proper understanding of them because you are wrong about my attitude

When there’s decent Synoptics ,I’ll suggest positivity about them
    There was and I did
    When they’re gone I’ll be realistic
    My statement about being positive related to what we had in front of us versus common enough posts of the it’s all going to go wrong variety
    I don’t work like that and I don’t believe anyone should
    I’m also not of the stupid winter is over brigade

However What I won’t be at all is Alice in wonderland pulling non existent rabbits out of hats
    There will be no rabbits for a few weeks I’m afraid
    That dawned on me the other night
    No point pretending

No need to close this thread,there could still be some snow about this weekend

Whilst I disagree with your whole first point to which you were hypocritical - if you're going to be optimistic, be an optimist through and through (that's part of my nature..... I hate changes - I have to mature from hating so), I'm glad you're not part of the "winter is over brigade" because that brigade certainly starts more fires than it puts out. You didn't suggest positivity, you told us coldies to be optimistic, regardless of the negatives such as the stratosphere, the NAO etc.

I'd always go for realism any day over pessimism and optimism anyway. "When they're gone I'll be realistic".... you should be realistic all the time, not just at one stage.

I still stand by the fact of yesterday that you're going over the top and that the outlooks are far from the worst case scenario. There's even talks of a cold February or cold Spring now.

We'll agree to disagree, heavily on this subject, just like I have done so with many this past week.

I didn't mean any hard feelings in anything I've said to you though.

Syran,this is all a bit silly
    You’re accusing me of being overall negative about winter because I’m realistic about current output going nowhere snowy anytime soon?
    Forgive me if I’ve no time for codology like that
    Let’s move on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It doesn't look great if you desire snowy cold from the east, however it would be slightly misleading to say it won't be snowy anytime soon. We might get a potent north or north westerly blast in the next two- three weeks. The one positive about cold zonal at this time of year is the likelihood of being the right side of marginal increases as we go on. It won't lead to a foot of snow that hangs around for a several days, but we might be lucky and get a decent covering that lasts for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Time to scuttle this puppy, its just shooting a corpse at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Please adhere to the forum charter.

1. Please refrain from direct personal attacks on any person whether they are members of boards.ie or not.

3. If you wish you to challenge someone's views (on the topic of weather) then please question the post, do not just attack poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Time to scuttle this puppy, its just shooting a corpse at this stage.

Stone cold dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ah lads just close the thread will yee?

Before it turns into a boxing match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

I don't see the problem with having a thread for this weekend other than the title is slightly misleading now.

It will be cold and frosty with wintry showers for some, what's the harm in having a thread to discuss it? It's not a warning thread, it's a discussion thread. Is the Met Eireann warning level criticism leaking into thread existence criticism now?

I know we justifiably have a lot to moan about regarding lack of exciting weather in this country but can we at least enjoy a frost without bickering over nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

GFS 18z resurrects a stubborn Scandi high at least. Still all to play for, keep the faith...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Joanna Donnelly on the radio said showers in the east over the weekend may fall as sleet and snow on hills and mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep time to head up Lug again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

A Northeasterly airflow to the North of us currently beginning to sink down upon us.

May bring some good (frost, light snow)

You never know

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this thread is still relevant to the brief cold snap, a cold weekend to come with plenty of frost and possibly ice on the roads. It just won't be very snowy.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Then again you could say that we were not meant to get snow on night of the 29th of December but we did ....... So I guess Mother Nature will do what Mother Nature does despite if we want it or not lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is Ice exciting enough?

Coz in Sligo it never stops raining (its either light or heavy)

Many many days Met Eireann has had during 2017 "mainly dry with sunny spells" but its been misty or rainy here.

Then on weather reports Markree shows no rainfall so it must be just Sligo towns coastal location and persistent NW winds even when theres a SW everywhere else.

So as ever its misty today but it will freeze on this tonight hence roads will be bottlelike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sky News weather for what its worth is showing a peppering of wintry showers tomorrow on the east coast south of Dublin with mostly Wicklow, Carlow and Wexford at risk. The wicklow mountains could see some lying snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement