Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

There’s a huge cold pool over the snowfields of Scandinavia ,not to mention northeast of there
    None over Europe yet but at the darkest time of winter,cold air advection from Russia/siberia is looming in Synoptics like these if they continue as the UK met office reckon they will
    All win win really,a bite at the pie for everyone and possibly belly fulls at times

Any cold air that will follow on from that low will be sub-Maritime Arctic stuff. Doesn't make it any less interesting for your patch though.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Any cold air that will follow on from that low will be sub-Maritime Arctic stuff. Doesn't make it any less interesting for your patch though.
    I don’t fully disagree on the ‘initially’ but air coming down from that direction will have lower dew points ,more surface cold and a better longer game if sustained than anything else we’ve had by several country miles this winter so far

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM1-168.GIF?31-0

ECM0-168.GIF?31-0

Nudge in the right direction. Still ample time to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

First interesting run in quite a while in terms of real cold weather. Still doesn't deliver much with no cold pool anywhere to tap into but its been a good three weeks since we've seen anything but westerlies forecast. An interesting few days ahead before then as well with plenty of active weather

It is a flip from the ecm, but confidence in it lasting is not high. However, If it does sustain itself, not having a cool pool to draw from won't be a problem. At this times of year it won't take long for CAA to make its presence felt across Europe, and eventually here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good and less good so far this morning (but not bad)

UKMO is the best with increasingly snow showers in to the east and very cold air around.

UW120-21.GIF?01-05

UW144-21.GIF?01-05

UW144-7.GIF?01-05

In the freezer...

• Advertisement

Eye candy on the 12Z GFS from next Sunday
    A direct NE snow shower train creating feed into the east coast of Ireland from the mainline source for proper cold Scandinavia northeastwards
    Looks like at least a few days of that maybe more

Oh My

The mighty ECM for Saturday lunchtime,these are not doing what they’ve done before,they’re actually moving steadily closer by the day ,brace yourselves ? :D

86cdb31cfa49d5e8ff0b8a7163e88ec4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Some beautiful cold and snowy charts starting to appear now in the 5 day timeframe... East Coast in the firing line this time. Tis a delicate situation though but it's getting closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Looking good for the snow starved east of the country Fri/sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Billcarson wrote: »
    Looking good for the snow starved east of the country Fri/sat.

However not for snow starved West Clare :)

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    However not for snow starved West Clare :)

I wouldn’t quite say that now when you see what’s flirting with you from the SW bumping up against this cold by day 9 :D

Very very nice for the Dubs by then too
    -8’s and -9’s 850’s
    Pressure not that high
    Negative dew points
    Lots of surface cold,thicknesses around the low 520’s
    High sst
    Yeah very interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

I wouldn’t quite say that now when you see what’s flirting with you from the SW bumping up against this cold by day 9 :D

Very very nice for the Dubs by then too
    -8’s and -9’s 850’s
    Pressure not that high
    Negative dew points
    Lots of surface cold,thicknesses around the low 520’s
    High sst
    Yeah very interesting :D

From the latest guidance, could we be looking at an over night/day event or a more prolonged spell

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    From the latest guidance, could we be looking at an over night/day event or a more prolonged spell

Simply put,I don’t know,tonight’s output would have the east wintry for a few days with spikes in shower activity
    But as we seem not able to pin down storms inside 48 hours,I’d leave it at there might be something to look forward to ahead
    Something’s brewing anyway
    A similar set up in February 79 delivered a fair amount of snow to the east I remember schools closing
    It eventually fed in some very cold uppers,thus far not modeled on this one
    See attached

Simply put,I don’t know,tonight’s output would have the east wintry for a few days with spikes in shower activity
    But as we seem not able to pin down storms inside 48 hours,I’d leave it at there might be something to look forward to ahead
    Something’s brewing anyway
    A similar set up in February 79 delivered a fair amount of snow to the east I remember schools closing
    It eventually fed in some very cold uppers,thus far not modeled on this one
    See attached
    Appreciate it thank you

The ECM looks to possibly lengthen the cold spell. Whereas the GFS has the Atlantic winning by day 8. Still a lot of you might not care if the gfs is correct, if you get a couple of days with an active snowy shower train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

IOM shadow incoming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Euro models keeping the momentum going this morning with the GEM and ECM showing a prolonged cold spell setting in, not something we have seen for a few years now. UKMO also quite good. GFS has the Atlantic winning out by next week.

ECM Day 9 and GEM Day 8 - Bitter easterlies entrenched

ECMOPNH00_216_1.png

GEMOPNH00_204_1.png

ECM Day 10 - Big Greeny High about to appear with height rises over the pole, continued East/North easterlies for Ireland, This run would keep us in the freezer for quite some time-

ECMOPNH00_240_1.png

Too much going on today to Thursday for weather forecasters to focus on the weekend yet
    However Matt Taylor on news 24 did say at the start of his 955 am ‘more snow in the forecast for the weekend’

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Too much going on today to Thursday for weather forecasters to focus on the weekend yet
    However Matt Taylor on news 24 did say at the start of his 955 am ‘more snow in the forecast for the weekend’

I fully expect the whole thing to go belly up , already the cold is being watered down with a wee tweak here and there, ref comments on Netweather

Been here too many times with respect to possible snow in Ireland - whatever can go wrong will go wrong due to the VERY marginal nature of snow in Ireland

Expect downgrades later today

D

I should have posted elsewhere as this will go OT
    Pay little heed to Southeast and Kent centric netweather and it’s littered with high post count ignorance
    Thus far modeled,the Synoptics are plenty cold enough for snow in Ireland from that direction
    No one in an FI thread like this is saying anything other than 2 things
    What said map would do if verified and the likelihood is getting higher or lower

On the latter point I see all charts on averagemoving a day closer as we get closer so far thus far which is a good sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

A cold / v cold weekend looks pretty nailed to me. Only question is how much snow can the east get Fri into sat and how long will the cold last. Just a snap or a longer spell???

A cold / v cold weekend looks pretty nailed to me. Only question is how much snow can the east get Fri into sat and how long will the cold last. Just a snap or a longer spell???

Agreed know more tonight / wed

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ireland/

With Irish sea Temperatures about 12c. We will see big beefy Snow Showers pounding the Irish sea coast line.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ireland/

With Irish sea Temperatures about 12c. We will see big beefy Snow Showers pounding the Irish sea coast line.

Is that air temperatures at sea or the water temperature? Dublin Bay is showing 7.9 at the moment.

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy/status/948160292281901056

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

onmebike wrote: »
    Is that air temperatures at sea or the water temperature? Dublin Bay is showing 7.9 at the moment.

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy/status/948160292281901056

Sea Temperatures.

derekon wrote: »
    I fully expect the whole thing to go belly up , already the cold is being watered down with a wee tweak here and there, ref comments on Netweather

Been here too many times with respect to possible snow in Ireland - whatever can go wrong will go wrong due to the VERY marginal nature of snow in Ireland

D

If netweather had been around in 1962/63, some of those guys would have been looking to the breakdown in March. They would also complain if a 2 foot snowstorm was about to hit, they'd give you the impression it was was going to be nothing because it might miss their backyard.
    That said as we all know things can go pear shaped at the last minute. I recall the infamous eastleries that never was back in December 2012. With two or three days to go the models flipped to a zonal outlook. However it does look like we will have a north easterly of some sort over the weekend.
    After that i would not like to bet on what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Coastal waters are below 10 degrees, but up around 11 in mid Irish Sea.

437581.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

derekon wrote: »

D

Please keep this thread for actual model discussion, or posting of charts whichever way the weather turns

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Another amazing run from the ECM with the 12z today! That's 3 consecutive fantastic runs.

hffn8xx.png

8Sh9tnt.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

If only the GFS would get it's act together! A bit underwhelming 12Z. I was really fearing an ECM climb down..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement