Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Ulster Build Up Thread

Options
  • 03-01-2018 12:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭

5.35pm on Saturday, can be viewed on Sky, BBC & TG4

More of this hopefully

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ulster flattered to deceive at the weekend.

If Munster didn't go down to 13 and 14, Ulster would still probably be trying to cross the whitewash.

Big beefy pack to immobilise the Ulster threat. They're incredibly one dimensional once their forwards and under the kosh as we have seen a lot this season.

Having said that, when Ulster came to town last year, we didn't play nearly as well as we should have.

1) McGrath

2) Tracy

3) Furlong

4) Fardy

5) Toner

6) Conan

7) Jordi

8) Deegan

9) JGP

10) Byrne

11) Byrne

12) Henshaw

13) Ringrose

14) Isa

15) Larmour

Ahead of Europe, we need to get our centre pairing right with Ringrose slow out of the blocks. Furlong, McGrath, Toner, Conan, Henshaw and Isa should all be fresh and ready to come back in.

I think this team shows a good shape and the remainder of the bug guns can slot right in ahead of the Glasgow game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Why can English commentators not pronounce names like Larmour properly?
    Miles Harrison makes same error in above clip as BBC News sports presenter did when the same player scored his spectacular try against Munster last week. They make the name sound French. Does no one inform them of proper pronunciation?
    BTW Leinster to win comfortably with BP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Handicap is 14 points. I think backing Ulster to beat that is free money.

Miles Harrison makes same error in above clip as BBC News sports presenter did when the same player scored his spectacular try against Munster last week. They make the name sound French. Does no oneinform them of proper pronunciation?

It annoys the hell out of me.

I appreciate that it does read like the fancy french pronunciation. But when it's your job to read out names, I'd expect you to do it correctly.

I can even overlook the English commentary effort at POM - O'Mawhny - as it's just accent. But constant and blatant mistakes of ones name is just unprofessional.

I remember a commentator years back insisting on calling Isa Eye-sa Nacewa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I appreciate that it does read like the fancy french pronunciation. But when it's your job to read out names, I'd expect you to do it correctly.

I know a few people who were in school with him, and they pronounce it roughly the way Myles Harrison is. The only mistake Myles is making is dropping the "r" to being almost silent.

It's "Lar" (rhymes with bar) "More" (rhymes with door". Apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster flattered to deceive at the weekend.

If Munster didn't go down to 13 and 14, Ulster would still probably be trying to cross the whitewash.

Big beefy pack to immobilise the Ulster threat. They're incredibly one dimensional once their forwards and under the kosh as we have seen a lot this season.

Having said that, when Ulster came to town last year, we didn't play nearly as well as we should have.

Without essentially disagreeing with the overall sentiment of your opinion I would point out that Ulster did unluckily have a try over-ruled for something that happens in every ruck and did score before the red card was issued. In fact the violent conduct that led to the red card also reduced Ulster to 14 men as Lealiifano was stretched out on the pitch and Ulster went on to score. It was the second time in a minute that he had been high hit by Arnold but the first one was missed and wasn't such a stupid rash act.

I would imagine that normal thought processes would lead a coach to select the Ulster team something along the lines of the following but this is Kiss we are talking about.

1. Black
    2. Herring
    3. Herbst
    4. O'Connor / Treadwell
    5. Henderson
    6. Deysel...tho' he may be injured...or Diack...or Ethel's wee sister Agnes.
    7. Jones
    8. Timoney Knows......... I assume Reidy and Henry are out.

9. Cooney
    10. Lealiifano
    11. Gilroy
    12. McCloskey
    13. Cave. I doubt it though. Kiss seems to have an issue with Darren
    14. Stockdale
    15. Piutau.

16. Best
    17. Warwick / McCall
    18. Kane / Ah Phuque No
    19. Dalton / Treadwell / O'Connor
    20. Rea
    21. Paul 'Own Try' Marshall
    22. Lyttle
    23. Trimble.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They will be sending a weakened side though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

At the rate he's going, John Cooney will potentially have more starts for Ulster than he made in his entire Connacht career before we reach the end of February.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Buer wrote: »
    At the rate he's going, John Cooney will potentially have more starts for Ulster than he made in his entire Connacht career before we reach the end of February.

due an injury at any minute.

They had pretty mixed sides against both Connacht and Munster. I would imagine we'll have the closest thing to full strength that we've seen since the Quins games.

I think Gilroy, Cave, Cooney and Timoney are the only players to start both and Cave wasn't supposed to start against Munster so no reason they can't put out a strong enough side unless they're looking to wrap anyone in cotton wool before the visit of La Rochelle.

John Cooney could really do with a break though before the European games particularly given the 5 day turnaround.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If he picks anything other than McCloskey and Cave in midfield he’s an idiot.

Cave gave a lesson in what playing an actual 13 at 13 looks like against Munster.

Can Kiss change the habit of a lifetime and not change the midfield for no reason?

awec wrote: »

Cave gave a lesson in what playing an actual 13 at 13 looks like against Munster.

Can Kiss change the habit of a lifetime and not change the midfield for no reason?

It's a 5 day turnaround. I'd be surprised to see Cave starting if Ludik is available. Cave is one of the only guys to have started both the Connacht and Munster games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

jacothelad wrote: »
    I would imagine that normal thought processes would lead a coach to select the Ulster team something along the lines of the following but this is Kiss we are talking about.

1. Black
    2. Herring
    3. Herbst
    4. O'Connor / Treadwell
    5. Henderson
    7. Jones

9. Cooney
    10. Lealiifano
    11. Gilroy
    12. McCloskey
    14. Stockdale
    15. Piutau.

16. Best
    17. Warwick / McCall
    18. Kane / Ah Phuque No
    20. Rea
    22. Lyttle
    23. Trimble.
    I suspect that Ah Phuque No :) and McCall will start again, or at least one of them. If I'm right and they were suffering from rustiness, then some of that should have brushed off by the time the match kicks off. The same for Deysel (was he actually injured, or just you being a bit :p?).

Cave should start. If it's been an attitude problem with him, then that seems to be behind him.

Without essentially disagreeing with the overall sentiment of your opinion I would point out that Ulster did unluckily have a try over-ruled for something that happens in every ruck and did score before the red card was issued. In fact the violent conduct that led to the red card also reduced Ulster to 14 men as Lealiifano was stretched out on the pitch and Ulster went on to score. It was the second time in a minute that he had been high hit by Arnold but the first one was missed and wasn't such a stupid rash act.

Ulster went on to score against 14 man Munster for their first try thanks in no small part to Cave using CL and the physios as a screen to run through the gap :pac:

Also it's not penalised every ruck because it rarely has a direct impact on a try. This one did. And was rightly penalised.

If everything was penalised we'd literally never get a game going.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,073 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »

he might play cave 12 mcclosky 13 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Given Ulsters absentee list they don't have massive options to play around with

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I can even overlook the English commentary effort at POM - O'Mawhny - as it's just accent. But constant and blatant mistakes of ones name is just unprofessional.

T
    o be fair, Donal Lenihan also has problems pronouncing Nacewa's name- but then, he was the only pundit in the world to call Thierry Dusatoir, Terry Doo-sa-tower

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster beat that in Ravenhill, never mind the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Of course I don’t want Leinster to lose, but it would be amusing to see what certain Ulster fans would have to say, with 2 from 3 victories in the interpros.

Would expect a reasonably strong selection with the European games coming up, would prefer if McCarthy started with JGP on the bench though, so we can see if Lowe can be squeezed into the CC squad.

It’s hard to envisage an Ulster win, but then again it could easily have happened last season, with a similar level of confidence for Leinster going into the game. No Tommy Bowe howlers this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Rory Best back this weekend apparently. Reidy, Stockdale and Henderson too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I hope Ulster go as strong as possible which IMO would be...

1 Black
    2 Best
    3 Herbst
    4 Henderson
    5 O'Connor
    6 Deysel
    7 Henry
    8 Reidy
    9 Cooney
    10 Lealifilano
    11 Stockdale
    12 McCloskey
    13 Cave
    14 Gilroy
    15 Piutau

16 Herring, 17 McCall, 18 Ah You, 19 Treadwell, 20 Rea, 21 Marshall, 22 McPhillips, 23 Lyttle

*tweaked as per FF's revelation regarding Reidy.

Of course Kiss will doubtless rotate as is his want.

That backline would cause Leinster problems if they got some bloody ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

He probably surpassed his Leinster starts a few weeks ago too. Was sorry to see him leave Connacht but his form really shows the value of moving to get gametime for some players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

bilston wrote: »
    I hope Ulster go as strong as possible which IMO would be...

1 Black
    2 Best
    3 Herbst
    4 Henderson
    5 O'Connor
    6 Deysel
    7 Henry
    8 Reidy
    9 Cooney
    10 Lealifilano
    11 Stockdale
    12 McCloskey
    13 Cave
    14 Gilroy
    15 Piutau

16 Herring, 17 McCall, 18 Ah You, 19 Treadwell, 20 Rea, 21 Marshall, 22 McPhillips, 23 Lyttle

*tweaked as per FF's revelation regarding Reidy.

Of course Kiss will doubtless rotate as is his want wont.

That backline would cause Leinster problems if they got some bloody ball.

Is Luke Marshall out with injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

1. Black
    2. Herring
    3. Herbst
    4. O'Connor / Treadwell
    5. Henderson
    7. Jones

9. Cooney
    10. Lealiifano
    11. Gilroy
    12. McCloskey
    14. Stockdale
    15. Piutau.

16. Best
    17. Warwick / McCall
    18. Kane / Ah Phuque No
    20. Rea
    22. Lyttle
    23. Trimble.

Wings on wrong sides no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Miles Harrison makes same error in above clip as BBC News sports presenter did when the same player scored his spectacular try against Munster last week. They make the name sound French. Does no one inform them of proper pronunciation?

Mildly interesting fact.

Northern Ireland has the highest density of people with the surname Larmour in the world, with 1 in every 3,974 persons being called Larmour.

For the Republic of Ireland the ratio is 1 in 208,777.

The retirement of Bowe and Trimble will enable him to move closer to his kin!

torqtorq wrote: »

Mildly interesting fact.

Northern Ireland has the highest density of people with the surname Larmour in the world, with 1 in every 3,974 persons being called Larmour.

For the Republic of Ireland the ratio is 1 in 208,777.

The retirement of Bowe and Trimble will enable him to move closer to his kin!

I was going to say that it sounds a lot more like a Northern Irish name. He must have some Ulster blood somewhere!

He must have some Ulster blood somewhere!

He was bound to get a little blood splattered on him when he carved them apart in Belfast, in fairness.

He must have some Ulster blood somewhere!

He was bound to get a little blood splattered on him when he carved them apart in Belfast, in fairness.

What are you talking about Buer? Jordan Larmour didn't play that night. That French kid Lamoore however looked the mutts nutts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster only have a weakened side. Les can't abide putting out a team that smacks of logic....:D
    bilston wrote: »
    I was going to say that it sounds a lot more like a Northern Irish name. He must have some Ulster blood somewhere!
    The name is an Ulster Scottish name with origins in Ayrshire, hence the possible prevalence in Ulster and (Dalriada). The name originates from the occupation of being an armourer. Similar derivatives exist in France and England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Absolutely. It bugs the **** out of me too. Accents are forgivable but make an effort to learn the pronunciation. Listening to some of these "professionals" try to pronounce PI names just wrecks my head. Even BOD mispronounces Isa's surname and he played alongside him FFS!

Advertisement