Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster v Ulster Build Up Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Even BOD mispronounces Isa's surname and he played alongside him FFS!

He does that deliberately to get back at Isa for six years of saying "Broyan O'Druscull"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

When I started this particular mini discussion on mispronunciation little did I think that there were going to be so many posts. Thanks to all for a fascinating take on the subject. As an Ulster fan I hope the said Mr. Larmour or is it Lamoore or Larmore or whatever you call him doesn't repeat his sidestepping brilliance on Saturday. Maybe he is French after all with a touch of rare flair that lights up what can sometimes be pretty dull fare. The way the French are playing at the moment they could be doing with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

FeeeYunnnn Carr

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clancy the referee I see.

Hopefully he refrains from the urge of trying to award Leinster a try after the final whistle this time.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    Clancy the referee I see.

Hopefully he refrains from the urge of trying to award Leinster a try after the final whistle this time.

He doesn't need to, all visiting teams start off at - 7 in the RDS

• Advertisement

I thought Larmour actually did pronounce his name in that funny french way?

Larmour is a really popular surname up north, I would be absolutely astounded if the BBCNI commentators were calling him the french one without being told to. It'd be like Ryle Nugent mispronouncing Fitzgerald.

Sky commentators also pronounced it the French way, so I assume they've been told to.

"Ulster will be coming to the RDS with momentum and confidence." says Garry Ringrose

Wee Garry should leave the clichés to people who can at least pick an appropriate one for the circumstances. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

"Ulster will be coming to the RDS with momentum and confidence." says Garry Ringrose

Wee Garry should leave the clichés to people who can at least pick an appropriate one for the circumstances. :pac:

Les Kiss should pin that on the Ulster dressingroom wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So I'd hazard a guess at the Leinster team looking something like this:

McGrath Tracy Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Murphy Conan Murphy

JGP Byrne
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Nacewa Larmour Daly

Byrne, Byrne, Bent, Kearney, Timmins, McCarthy, Marsh, Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To be fair I just read a quote from him on the 42 saying that Stockdale was one of Ulster's "few threats"...

I'm sure that's not exactly what he meant...or maybe it was...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

original?width=616&version=1862997

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Or, maybe he saw Ulster win the second half against Munster 24-0 and doesn't immediately look for the negative in everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Nick McCarthy start this one. Lowe's performance this week will have the coaches wondering if and how they can squeeze him in. Whilst I was happy enough with JGP against Munster (pretty much solely based on the fact that he appears to have learned how to kick), I think McCarthy can equal him as someone to serve the back line. If they're going to roll the dice with McCarthy on the bench in any European game, it's going to be against Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Or, maybe he saw Ulster win the second half against Munster 24-0 and doesn't immediately look for the negative in everything?
    Or he doesn't read boards and hence can't understand how that could be a bad thing... :)

Buer wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Nick McCarthy start this one. Lowe's performance this week will have the coaches wondering if and how they can squeeze him in. Whilst I was happy enough with JGP against Munster (pretty much solely based on the fact that he appears to have learned how to kick), I think McCarthy can equal him as someone to serve the back line. If they're going to roll the dice with McCarthy on the bench in any European game, it's going to be against Glasgow.

He kicked infield a bit too much for my liking against Munster, you need those clearing box kicks to go wide. But it was much improved from him overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bilston wrote: »
    To be fair I just read a quote from him on the 42 saying that Stockdale was one of Ulster's "few threats"...

I'm sure that's not exactly what he meant...or maybe it was...

Ha I saw that and wondered.

But if you change "the few" to "a few" the context is a bit different. Easy to get misquoted.

Or he misspoke.

Or he's just telling the truth because we all know it to be true :pac:

Ulster Rugby team to play Leinster, Guinness PRO14, Saturday 6th January, RDS Arena, kick-off 5.35pm:
    (15-9): C Piutau; A Trimble, D Cave, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; C Lealiifano, J Stewart;
    (1-8): C Black, R Best (captain), R Ah You, P Browne, I Henderson, M Rea, S Reidy, J Deysel;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, K McCall, W Herbst, A O'Connor, N Timoney, J Cooney, J McPhillips, T Bowe.

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Ulster Rugby team to play Leinster, Guinness PRO14, Saturday 6th January, RDS Arena, kick-off 5.35pm:
    (15-9): C Piutau; A Trimble, D Cave, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; C Lealiifano, J Stewart;
    (1-8): C Black, R Best (captain), R Ah You, P Browne, I Henderson, M Rea, S Reidy, J Deysel;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, K McCall, W Herbst, A O'Connor, N Timoney, J Cooney, J McPhillips, T Bowe.

Decent team. But that pack can be dominated and that half back pairing can be exposed.

Lealiifano has dodgy ribs so I can't see him doing anything other than shuffling the ball on outside him. Especially after a few hits from Jordi (or whoever wears 7

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (11)
    14. Fergus McFadden (161)
    13. Garry Ringrose (43)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (19)
    11. Barry Daly (17)
    10. Ross Byrne (38)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (41)
    1. Jack McGrath (122) CAPTAIN
    2. James Tracy (54)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (75)
    4. Devin Toner (208)
    5. Scott Fardy (11)
    6. Josh Murphy (2)
    7. Jordi Murphy (96)
    8. Jack Conan (64)

16. Seán Cronin (142)
    17. Ed Byrne (16)
    18. Andrew Porter (19)
    19. Mick Kearney (28)
    20. Max Deegan (10)
    21. Nick McCarthy (16)
    22. Johnny Sexton (142)
    23. Noel Reid (92)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (11)
    14. Fergus McFadden (161)
    13. Garry Ringrose (43)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (19)
    11. Barry Daly (17)
    10. Ross Byrne (38)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (41)
    1. Jack McGrath (122) CAPTAIN
    2. James Tracy (54)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (75)
    4. Devin Toner (208)
    5. Scott Fardy (11)
    6. Josh Murphy (2)
    7. Jordi Murphy (96)
    8. Jack Conan (64)

16. SeCronin (142)
    17. Ed Byrne (16)
    18. Andrew Porter (19)
    19. Mick Kearney (28)
    20. Max Deegan (10)
    21. Nick McCarthy (16)
    22. Johnny Sexton (142)
    23. Noel Reid (92)

No place for Poison as both JGP and Fardy are included.

• Advertisement

McGrath Tracy Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Murphy Conan Murphy

JGP Byrne
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Daly Larmour McFadden

Cronin, Byrne, Porter, Kearney, Deegan, McCarthy, Sexton, Reid

EDIT: I was just the 1 off from the starting XV with my earlier guess. I got the bench pretty wrong though. Surprised to see Sexton on the bench in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭LostArt

Anyone have the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

LostArt wrote: »
    Anyone have the team?

No

I was pretty close with my team so :D

No Isa or A Byrne still is a bit odd (well, the week to soon for Byrne presumably)

We have the making of that Ulster team I think. But we got very little reward for dominating them last year in the RDS.

Weird to see Sexton at 22. He hasn't worn that shirt in a long time I reckon ha. Good chance for Ross Byrne to brag to anyone that will listen that he has been picked to start ahead of the Ireland and Lions starting 10 :P

Leinster are a better side from 1 to 10 really. Sure CL is probably better than Byrne, but carrying a rib injury and outside a rookie 9 that might not show. Outside of 10 Ulster are probably better, but we're pretty strong too. Leinsters bench is better too. We should have this one in the bag really.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Leinster are a better side from 1 to 10 really. Sure CL is probably better than Byrne, but carrying a rib injury and outside a rookie 9 that might not show. Outside of 10 Ulster are probably better, but we're pretty strong too. Leinsters bench is better too. We should have this one in the bag really.

Wouldn't agree that outside Ulster are better.

Our 12-13 is superior to them even if Garry is still finding his feet again. He will benefit hugely outside Henshaw who is always up for these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

durkadurka wrote: »
    No

Here we have the lesser spotted durka emerging from his slumber to bludgeon an innocent bystander before returning to his hibernation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

No place for Poison as both JGP and Fardy are included.

I thought that messing was only for Champions Cup games. Is it Pro14 too?

I always feel so much more comfortable when Henshaw is playing. Good spine to that team, should be too much for Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Synode wrote: »
    I thought that messing was only for Champions Cup games. Is it Pro14 too?

Applies to any club competition.

Advertisement