Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster v Ulster Build Up Thread

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

prawnsambo wrote: »
    If he was DoR, they'd surely call it that, no? DoR always seems to be a head of coaches role rather than an operational/logistics role.

Not necessarily, even at Ulster they changed the definition of the DoR role after Humphreys left, he had a much more hands-off role when it came to the rugby team.

People are getting too hung up on names. They don't really matter.

MJohnston wrote: »
    The problem with such an attitude is you lose responsibility and clarity of decision making and it becomes up to the CEO to choose who leads. Which is potentially fine if you have a rugby CEO, but we have a pure businessman.

I have no doubt that our vague and ill defined structure is contributing massively to our ongoing coaching problems, because they aren't new with Kiss.

I don't believe there's any lack of clarity what-so-ever in the Ulster coaching setup. Kiss is in charge, Gibbes and then the rest of the coaches are below him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Not necessarily, even at Ulster they changed the definition of the DoR role after Humphreys left, he had a much more hands-off role when it came to the rugby team.

People are getting too hung up on names. They don't really matter.

I don't believe there's any lack of clarity what-so-ever in the Ulster coaching setup. Kiss is in charge, Gibbes and then the rest of the coaches are below him.

That's just hierarchical clarity, but there's loads more to it - does Kiss have to divide his time between managing the players and coaches, and managing the business side of the rugby for example. Clarity of responsibilities more than anything else.

That's just hierarchical clarity, but there's loads more to it - does Kiss have to divide his time between managing the players and coaches, and managing the business side of the rugby for example. Clarity of responsibilities more than anything else.

I haven't seen any indication he does and considering he's spent his whole career as a rugby coach then that would be odd.

I haven't seen any indication he does and considering he's spent his whole career as a rugby coach then that would be odd.

Exactly, it is very odd, but there's nobody in the management structure of Ulster between Kiss and Logan, so it's impossible that he could avoid any business involvement, or indeed having to direct operations on the non-senior teams at the club. Again, if Logan was rugby man that might be avoidable, but imo the man responsible for leading the teams should never be that close to the business side. It's just a distraction.

Which is why I think head coach should be head coach, and not subordinate to anyone where coaching is concerned.

Exactly, it is very odd, but there's nobody in the management structure of Ulster between Kiss and Logan, so it's impossible that he could avoid any business involvement, or indeed having to direct operations on the non-senior teams at the club. Again, if Logan was rugby man that might be avoidable, but imo the man responsible for leading the teams should never be that close to the business side. It's just a distraction.

Which is why I think head coach should be head coach, and not subordinate to anyone where coaching is concerned.

Why do you need anyone between Kiss and Logan? I don't really understand this tbh, it seems like pure speculation to me? I doubt there's anyone between Cullen and Mick Dawson either but that seems pretty normal.

Kiss is the head coach. He's called something else but he's the head coach. I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

• Advertisement

Why do you need anyone between Kiss and Logan? I don't really understand this tbh, it seems like pure speculation to me? I doubt there's anyone between Cullen and Mick Dawson either but that seems pretty normal.

Kiss is the head coach. He's called something else but he's the head coach. I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

Take a look at the IRFU guidelines for Director of Rugby and you'll see all the stuff they are supposed to do that isn't coaching.

If Kiss isn't Director of Rugby, then he didn't need to be given that title.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It isnt at all odd. It isnt impossible that Kiss could avoid business involvement as its simply not his duty to be involved in that area.
    Take a look at the IRFU guidelines for Director of Rugby and you'll see all the stuff they are supposed to do that isn't coaching.

If Kiss isn't Director of Rugby, then he didn't need to be given that title.
    That is talking about amatuer rugby. Professional rugby will be quite different naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rewatching the game, for the first try Ringrose is an absolute cute hooer. Byrne calls a move off a phase which appears to be a centre runs a short crash diagonal line with a blindside winger coming across. The move almost breaks down due slow ball, but Ringrose rescues it with a really good timed run and completely takes the defender out of the game, and makes sure to hold them after the ball goes. Ferg has a massive gap to run through because of him.

It’s that sort of smarts/Rugby IQ that was mentioned earlier on the thread that will make Ringrose an Irish great for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Rewatching the game, for the first try Ringrose is an absolute cute hooer. Byrne calls a move off a phase which appears to be a centre runs a short crash diagonal line with a blindside winger coming across. The move almost breaks down due slow ball, but Ringrose rescues it with a really good timed run and completely takes the defender out of the game, and makes sure to hold them after the ball goes. Ferg has a massive gap to run through because of him.

It’s that sort of smarts/Rugby IQ that was mentioned earlier on the thread that will make Ringrose an Irish great for years to come.

I was looking at that earlier and thought Ringrose was lucky to get away with it. He wasn't though. Cave bought the dummy line hook, line and sinker, taking himself out of the game.

Other notes from rewatching it...

Scott Fardy is some sort of rugby demigod. Larmour may have put on the dazzle but Scott was everywhere. That pass to McFadden for his try was seriously impressive, what’s even better is he calls it with McFadden a phase earlier. Good communicators on a rugby field are winners.

Henshaw may no longer utilize the flashy plays that brought him into the limelight for Connacht, but he’s just such an intelligent player. His carrying, tackling and work rate make up for the lack of guile and zip. His passing is so clean and crisp. That pass-on for larmours second was world class. Without making the headlines he quietly went around his business and allowed everyone else around him to shine. Another motm preformer for me.

Ringrose did a lot better than people are giving him credit for, No trade mark line breaks but consistently spotted soft shoulders, made yards, and sucked in defenders. His reaction to turn overs a d sloppy ball was incredible, for the larmour almost try he dives on a loss ball and is popping it up for a support runner without even looking, pity about the injury cuz he’s looking sharp.

Jack Conan seemed to be on JVDF duty. Tackles everything that moved was given freedom to leave the line at will, like letting a dog off a leash. Ulster were wary of any quick play because of him.

We picked up so many injures but never looked troubled. Our depth is truly a massive asset to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Henshaw may no longer utilize the flashy plays that brought him into the limelight for Connacht, but he’s just such an intelligent player. His carrying, tackling and work rate make up for the lack of guile and zip. His passing is so clean and crisp. That pass-on for larmours second was world class. Without making the headlines he quietly went around his business and allowed everyone else around him to shine. Another motm preformer for me.

Ringrose did a lot better than people are giving him credit for, No trade mark line breaks but consistently spotted soft shoulders, made yards, and sucked in defenders. His reaction to turn overs a d sloppy ball was incredible, for the larmour almost try he dives on a loss ball and is popping it up for a support runner without even looking, pity about the injury cuz he’s looking sharp.

Jack Conan seemed to be on JVDF duty.

We picked up so many injures but never looked troubled. Our depth is truly a massive asset to me.

thought all three were great posted that Ringrose seemed to be getting back to form just as he got injured so deleted it

Henshaw has been outstanding this season. Just has such an all-action game, does everything well and he's an insanely good defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Scott Fardy is some sort of rugby demigod. Larmour may have put on the dazzle but Scott was everywhere. That pass to McFadden for his try was seriously impressive, what’s even better is he calls it with McFadden a phase earlier. Good communicators on a rugby field are winners.

Jack Conan seemed to be on JVDF duty. Tackles everything that moved was given freedom to leave the line at will, like letting a dog off a leash. Ulster were wary of any quick play because of him.

And what Josh Murphy and Conor Oliver down in Munster - the talent coming out of Leinster is simply outstanding.

Thankfully, lads will move to other provinces now which might help cut out a bit of inter provincial cr*p as well... Make it more about rugby.

The other thing worth noting is our back three, as a unit, were outstanding. Larmour’s positioning was really good, couple of times he trusted the wind a bit too much but in terms of off the ball work it was outstanding. Obviously everything that has been said about his footwork and attack has been said but I was left speechless at times. Daly was seriously impressive for a guy that has been out injured for month, few bits to tidy up but he was causing issues every time he got clean ball.

McFadden tho... that was some performance. Forget the two tries, his work rate was outstanding. In the 2nd half when we decided to pick it up another gear he was a man possessed. At one stage he runs a latch on a prop pick n drive, carries him over the line, another forward pod run the next phase and he’s the first man to clear out! At the time I thought it was Deegan or someone but watching back I was surprised to see a 14 on the back! He had a massive, massive performance, and aside from the line breaks and tries he rolled up his sleeves and delivered total Rugby performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

On Larmours positioning that's something that has improved really noticeably in the last month. He's looking more and more assured in the back field with the game time he's getting. I really am delighted with how he's progressing.

Also, Deegan is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Great talent alright.

I wonder if we'll start hearing those GAA arguments for Leinster to be split up. The South Dubs split off to form the Cappucheensters while the North Dubs and the rest of the province move to Donnycarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

McFadden tho... that was some performance. Forget the two tries, his work rate was outstanding. In the 2nd half when we decided to pick it up another gear he was a man possessed. At one stage he runs a latch on a prop pick n drive, carries him over the line, another forward pod run the next phase and he’s the first man to clear out! At the time I thought it was Deegan or someone but watching back I was surprised to see a 14 on the back! He had a massive, massive performance, and aside from the line breaks and tries he rolled up his sleeves and delivered total Rugby performance.

I agree. It was a fantastic all round performance by McFadden. If Adam Byrne played like that, everyone would be going full Venjur over it and we'd all be drowning.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I agree. It was a fantastic all round performance by McFadden. If Adam Byrne played like that, everyone would be going full Venjur over it and we'd all be drowning.

tumblr_inline_mop2zgBvxU1qz4rgp-b6b55.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ricky Lutton was very vocal about the non-native character of the Ulster line-up. Considering he was an Ulster player up to 8 months ago, I think it's fair to assume that others in the current squad would share his feelings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Ricky Lutton was very vocal about the non-native character of the Ulster line-up. Considering he was an Ulster player up to 8 months ago, I think it's fair to assume that others in the current squad would share his feelings.

Yeah, Ulster of anywhere are probably the most tribal.

After all aren't Leinster lads Mexican :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,355 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Academy discussion moved to it's own thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057828083

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Buer wrote: »
    I think Lowe will have next week off, actually. McFadden, Larmour and Daly all looking comfortable along with RK and Nacewa. Lowe looks great but if they were going to drop JGP they wouldn't have left McCarthy on the bench until very late and the game was long won.

Always a wee frisson when Buer is wrong :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Always a wee frisson when Buer is wrong :P

First Nahologate and now this. He's losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    First Nahologate and now this. He's losing it.

Not to mention our Bernard

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Even a working clock is wrong twice a day.

Wait. That's not it.

Advertisement