Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yeah it was years ago, like 2012/2013?
    It's set for the 15th of Dec atm
    2011. Your photos just popped up on my 'On This Day' section of facebook. I'm playing Little Nemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DinoRex wrote: »
    2011. Your photos just popped up on my 'On This Day' section of facebook. I'm playing Little Nemo.
    Ah cool! Thanks! I'm all mixed up from uploading the old ones on FB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sera is a female. No idea if she'll come though. I've got long hair so if you look at me from behind I may look like a girl :P

Atavan post from 2010, with the revelation that, not only is the poster formerly known as Sera is a girl, but that he also looks like a girl... from behind....

This is what we were all about in those days....
    Girls, those who looked like girls, how far we have come....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I mean... prior to that I'm not sure any of us really knew what a retro playing female gamer looked like...

n743233480_1080176_1389.jpg

...considering this was our frame of reference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Prior to my joining this forum waaaay back when, I was the only retro player I knew!

And by retro player I mean I played retro games, not checking out the honeys in the local home for the elderly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Bracken3000

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    This is what we were all about in those days.... Girls, those who looked like girls, how far we have come....

Well do yous still all have the long hair!

Well do yous still all have the long hair!

No, no I don't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Bracken3000

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    No, no I don't

Im guessing alot of metal fans here, metallica, megadeth, slayer....etc, retro rock and retro games.

MrVestek wrote: »
    I mean... prior to that I'm not sure any of us really knew what a retro playing female gamer looked like...

And you met some at cons too, the group I'd hang around with
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, no I don't :(
    Neither does Atavan so don't feel bad :pac: although his was a choice... Jkjk
    ... But your beard is long, that's trendy now right!? What a cool mod (phew)

I have never been, nor expect to be, cool.
    Sadly, I understand my limitations.
    My qualifications for this role are, well, a mystery to me as much as you all, I'm assuming as I have yet to horribly insult or sexually harass anyone is why I have remained in charge, though "in charge" may be over stating things, just a tad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Lads, I feel like I’m getting a bad rep here, as if I was a big drinker or something........ I’m a saint I’ll have you know! But I can twerk with the best of them.

Sadly I no longer have long hair. But I am currently rocking a thick af beard and previously some grey/silver hair. But that was by choice unlike a certain man who has a penchant for cider...

Lads, I feel like I’m getting a bad rep here, as if I was a big drinker or something........ I’m a saint I’ll have you know! But I can twerk with the best of them.
    giphy.gif

Sadly I no longer have long hair. But I am currently rocking a thick af beard and previously some grey/silver hair. But that was by choice unlike a certain man who has a penchant for cider...

Ed-ONeill-Crying.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I miss your non-sensical drunk posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Doge

So Barcadia is opening up soon in Cork and it would be nice to have beers with some of the Cork heads and close to Cork heads on here, actual beers in a bar this time!

Anyone interested?

So Barcadia is having a "beta test" night this friday, not all the machines will be there yet but ill popping in talking to peeps running it if anyone here wants to tag along!

Us corkonians are certainly not as well organized/ sociable as you dubs by the looks of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Doge wrote: »
    So Barcadia is having a "beta test" night this friday, not all the machines will be there yet but ill popping in talking to peeps running it if anyone here wants to tag along!

Us corkonians are certainly not as well organized/ sociable as you dubs by the looks of things!

Hey Doge, I was in barcadia a week before the launch to offer them some help if they needed it. Pointed them to A & R forums here too. They only have half the cabs yet, but they have a decent lineup of old early 80s cabs, few racers and few woodies.

Will try get to the official opening in the next few weeks, couldn't make the Beta Nite thou, You get there? Looked good by all accounts on FB and good food and beers too.

Hope they do well, i heard Token got some restaurant of the year award 2 weeks ago in Dublin so thats something to aim for.

kevin2me wrote: »
    Hey Doge, I was in barcadia a week before the launch to offer them some help if they needed it. Pointed them to A & R forums here too. They only have half the cabs yet, but they have a decent lineup of old early 80s cabs, few racers and few woodies.

Will try get to the official opening in the next few weeks, couldn't make the Beta Nite thou, You get there? Looked good by all accounts on FB and good food and beers too.

Hope they do well, i heard Token got some restaurant of the year award 2 weeks ago in Dublin so thats something to aim for.

Yeah I went in Saturday night and really enjoyed it! Very impresive so far and cant wait til they get the rest of the cabs in!

How would people feel if I pushed this to the 16th?
    Would it throw a massive spanner in the works?

How would people feel if I pushed this to the 16th?
    Would it throw a massive spanner in the works?
    Not for me but I'll need to change the day my D&D session is on that weekend, so just let me know if it's definitely changed.

Okay,

As much as it pains me to say it, there appears to be very little interest in a Christmas get together this year.
    While I would say a certain number of regulars would be there as always, and very welcome they are too, there doesn't seem to be any momentum to a greater number making the trip, which I admit is not inconsiderable for some.

So, can I get a clear idea of those coming along?

FYI, it's definitely on the evening of the 16th of December, if it is to go ahead.

• Advertisement

Okay,

As much as it pains me to say it, there appears to be very little interest in a Christmas get together this year.
    While I would say a certain number of regulars would be there as always, and very welcome they are too, there doesn't seem to be any momentum to a greater number making the trip, which I admit is not inconsiderable for some.

So, can I get a clear idea of those coming along?

FYI, it's definitely on the evening of the 16th of December, if it is to go ahead.
    :( no secret santa and no meet would be awful. I'm a Scrooge so these stuff is all I look forward to.

Maybe no one's checking boards as much? Maybe could try setting up a group PM on Facebook? I dunno how many of the boards users you have on there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CiDeRmAn wrote:

I've never made it to any of these.
    Read about most of them, but the 16th puts it into play.

I never had very long hair, I never liked Metallica or was never fat.

I liked Springsteen, had a long mickey and was skinny.

I'd be interested in going if possible, I'd classify as a retro beer newbie, I've met many here over the years. Before retro beers and forums existed, I visited swords to buy a console, it's still here in my attic boxed like the sleeping beauty missing a shoe, empty space for a controller niggling away at me to replace it.

Right, so this is confirmed as going ahead on the 16th of December, so come one come all.
    I'll be recognisable as the person who owns the house... a dead give away really....
    If folk need directions PM me.
    I'll be working, as per normal, the following day, hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

16th should be fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The 15th was busy for me, but the 16 should be OK, so hopefully see ya there!

The annual spider evacuation has begun.
    They unionised this year and submitted a list of demands before vacating the gamesroom.
    Apparently they are fans of Drake and are demanding a series of his albums on cassette.
    Why cassette? They wouldn't say, but it was a red line issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm pretty sure I can do the 16th. I'll let ye know closer to the date. Would be nice to put a few faces to names.

All are welcome!

Hopefully a good night to be had by all.

Also,

A warning....

Please do not put your hand on either
    • The Stove
    • The flue coming out of the aforementioned stove.

They'll be hot and you'll burn yourself.

Warning ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Sorry wont be able to turn up on the 16th as I am off seeing Mrs Brown boys...

So count me out sorry....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Sorry wont be able to turn up on the 16th as I am off seeing Mrs Brown boys...

So count me out sorry....

That's nice!!!!!!!

:p

Advertisement