Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular GAA opinion - MOD Note #426

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

liam7831 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be allowed palm the ball into the net in football it's not handball

Not be allowed fist (or in reality palm/handpass) over the bar either, for the same reason. No skill involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Patww79 wrote: »
    Jaysus what would you put Kildare's Leinsters down to then? How many?

:)

Had forgotten early Dub All-irelands won by country lads too. We've got work to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Offaly317216

Anyone who says Gaelic Football is contrived/made up sport as a way of slighting it is a complete idiot.Every single sport in the world is a contrived/made up sport.

Henry Shefflin although a great player was over rated.He was great but he should have been a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch and he wasn't and I don't think he'll be as loved by fans as a lot of other great hurlers were.

Conor Counihan did a dreadful job with the Cork footballers they should have won at least 2 all irelands but were held back by poor management, put Jim Gavin in charge of them and they'd have cleaned up at the end of the 00's beginning of 10's.

The high scoring nature of hurling has taken away from it, it needs to go back to the scoring levels of the 90's early 00's where 20 points was still considered a good score, nowadays it's below par.There is less hurling played in the game than they're should b because the ball is flying over peoples heads over and over again.

Johnny Dooley was massively underrated, he should be regarded much more highly than he is, I've even heard people in Offaly idiotically say Joe Dooley was better than him.

The sideline cut over the bar should still be worth two points. It's a fantastic skill and I believe we'd see less wides from a sideline if it was given more value. There's no better point than a sideline over the bar.

The sideline cut being awarded 2 points is a stupid opinion that sadly seems to have a lot of support and i worry it will be introduced.

A foul can be punished with conceding one point from a free but somehow a proper piece of defending like blocking a ball could be punished by conceding 2 points.

Should a particularly skillful score that isn't from a sideline cut not be equally awarded a bonus point.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The sideline cut being awarded 2 points is a stupid opinion that sadly seems to have a lot of support and i worry it will be introduced

Hopefully it will so we can improve one of the most under-practiced and regularly wasted set-pieces in a great sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love the GAA but never liked the Hard Man attitude.

I think the Violence I have seen at some games has been shocking. I have seen lads noses broken and heads smash. and that's just at u16 games.

DJ Carey was overrated. Brian Whelan was overrated.

I love the GAA but never liked the Hard Man attitude.

I think the Violence I have seen at some games has been shocking. I have seen lads noses broken and heads smash. and that's just at u16 games.

DJ Carey was overrated. Brian Whelan was overrated.

Brian Whelahan wasn't overrated .There is a reason he was on the team of the millenium. He's one of if not the greatest big game player the sport has seen.He also played the game with a stylishness that few backs ever have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

The GAA community in general. I love hurling and football but find the 'community' to be a shallow, closed-minded, sanctimonious, spiteful bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Hopefully it will so we can improve one of the most under-practiced and regularly wasted set-pieces in a great sport.

The two points for a sideline was in force, maybe just for the league, not that long ago. Only players I recall doing it regularly were Canning and Alan McCrabbe of Dublin.

If you look at sidelines, the % call is surely to drop it in. Very rare that you see anyone putting them over.

Brian Whelahan wasn't overrated .There is a reason he was on the team of the millenium. He's one of if not the greatest big game player the sport has seen.He also played the game with a stylishness that few backs ever have.

Yes hence why he was overrated. Good but that was some kind of joke award

Yes hence why he was overrated. Good but that was some kind of joke award

He fully deserved it, he was a great great player who performed brilliantly for both club and county.

He was also named on the Leinster team of the period 1984-2009 so it wasn't just one panel who thought he was great.

Don't agree. He was not even best Half back at the time, never mind over 100 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Don't agree. He was not even best Half back at the time, never mind over 100 years.

Watched a lot of Brian Whelehan, certainly the best half back of his era, undoubtedly the most talented hurler I have ever seen and scored 1-6 in an all Ireland final to boot!

Would love to know who you considered a better half back in his era?

Think Tommy Walsh has probably eclipsed him but he was a super hurler, hence the widespread recognition.

Watched a lot of Brian Whelehan, certainly the best half back of his era, undoubtedly the most talented hurler I have ever seen and scored 1-6 in an all Ireland final to boot!

Would love to know who you considered a better half back in his era?

Think Tommy Walsh has probably eclipsed him but he was a super hurler, hence the widespread recognition.

Brain Corcoran was far better Hurler all round. Was Super in 1999, but was Super in a Cork team that was awful from 1993 to 1998

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Whelehan was brilliant hurler. anyone who disputes that has some prejudice against Offaly or the man himself. Personally I would rate Walsh as the best half back, but that's just opinion.

Brain Corcoran was far better Hurler all round. Was Super in 1999, but was Super in a Cork team that was awful from 1993 to 1998

A great player but not at the same level as Whelehan. I think the accolades Whelehan got recognises this. Broadly similar achievements playing wise but the skill level, style and class that Whelehan played the game with will always separate him from other players of his generation. Just magic to watch.

A great player but not at the same level as Whelehan. I think the accolades Whelehan got recognises this. Broadly similar achievements playing wise but the skill level, style and class that Whelehan played the game with will always separate him from other players of his generation. Just magic to watch.

ah stop.

MOTM in 1992 AI at 19 too. Get away with that

ah stop.

Which does nothing to counter the point made in the post above.

Corcoran was a great player nobody is disputing that but Whelahan had something special about him, he played the game with an ease and style that very few could.I never remember him sprinting in a game yet he was always in the right place when needed.He was unbelievably good at reading the game.

Whelehan won man of the match in 2 all ireland finals and in a few club all ireland finals aswell.

• Advertisement

ah stop.

Hey if he was in the same class as Whelehan he might have made the team of the millennium!

Anyway two great hurlers and I don't think either are overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

PARlance wrote: »
    It's probably the fairest/most just system for a big event that I've ever come across. Most loyal supporters (those lucky enough to be in the schemes).are guaranteed tickets. Clubs are given responsibility to allocate to their members.

It's not perfect, nothing is. There will be lots of corporate etc, demand will always be far greater than supply and someone's annoying American girlfriend will always manage to get one... but it's an excellent way to handle tickets.

Every Club in the country (and even overseas) being allocated tickets to an All-Ireland Final even though only 4 counties max are playing doesn't sound very fair to me. The amount of neutrals at this years All- Ireland Hurling Final. And they're there not supporting either team while wearing their Club jackets from Tipp, Kilkenny, Louth, Kildare or where ever! And yet there's thousands watching the game on the Big Screen in Eyre Square because they couldn't get tickets! Just because they are Treasurer/Secretary of some club & they want a day out. Fair enough they paid 80 yoyos for their ticket.

But this to me is JUST WRONG!!! And if this is an unpopular GAA opinion then so be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

gammygils wrote: »
    Every Club in the country (and even overseas) being allocated tickets to an All-Ireland Final even though only 4 counties max are playing doesn't sound very fair to me. The amount of neutrals at this years All- Ireland Hurling Final. And they're there not supporting either team while wearing their Club jackets from Tipp, Kilkenny, Louth, Kildare or where ever! And yet there's thousands watching the game on the Big Screen in Eyre Square because they couldn't get tickets! Just because they are Treasurer/Secretary of some club & they want a day out. Fair enough they paid 80 yoyos for their ticket.

But this to me is JUST WRONG!!! And if this is an unpopular GAA opinion then so be it!

Most clubs around the country use those tickets to fundraise.
    The winners could come from anywhere as we have lads selling tickets in about 4 counties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The sideline cut being awarded 2 points is a stupid opinion that sadly seems to have a lot of support and i worry it will be introduced.

100%

2 points down in injury time and a pure hit and hope can see you draw a match in an instant

It was trialled before and thankfully not introduced, so please God that's the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

The Munster Championship is holding back hurling, and this is purely from the point that an All-Ireland competition should not be based on the provincial setup. With Leinster now pretty much the Leinster and counties from the other provinces championship, Munster is the last barrier to an open draw type championship which is fairer for all concerned, and easier to plan. By all mean keep the provincials, but as a separate cup competition run alongside the national league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

This will probably be a very unpopular one but thats the point.

I feel Dublin at the moment are benefiting from a somewhat poor time for football.

Themselves and Mayo are the top two with Kerry and Tyrone a bit behind, and after that there's no one who i feel a near winning or even making the final of the All-Ireland.

Compared to the 00's when you had Kerry, Armagh, Tyrone and Cork able to and winning All-Irleands in that time. Outside of those you had the likes of Monaghan, Derry, Laois, Westmeath, and even Fermanagh, Limerick and Sligo, who could put it up to teams who on paper were at a higher level. In that time the above teams all had big wins over ''top'' teams something that i don't think would happen today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

cms88 wrote: »
    This will probably be a very unpopular one but thats the point.

I feel Dublin at the moment are benefiting from a somewhat poor time for football.

Themselves and Mayo are the top two with Kerry and Tyrone a bit behind, and after that there's no one who i feel a near winning or even making the final of the All-Ireland.

Compared to the 00's when you had Kerry, Armagh, Tyrone and Cork able to and winning All-Irleands in that time. Outside of those you had the likes of Monaghan, Derry, Laois, Westmeath, and even Fermanagh, Limerick and Sligo, who could put it up to teams who on paper were at a higher level. In that time the above teams all had big wins over ''top'' teams something that i don't think would happen today

Mayo have lost to Galway two years in a row and were brought to extra time/replays by Derry, Roscommon and Cork

I think people look back nostalgically at old time and forget that the problems there now in football have always been there but just get more coverage now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Diarmuid Connolly is a great talent but overrated. I'd argue that Paul Flynn has contributed a greater amount for Dublin over the last 7-8 years (bar the last 1 or 2 when injury/age has caught up). He has superb talent but definitely doesn't stand alongside the very best forwards of the last 10-15 years (Gooch, Canavan) which I've heard people try to argue.

Bernard Brogan was one of the greatest corner forwards I've ever seen for a period, but he steadily declined shortly after his peak and hasn't actually been one of the Countries top forwards for 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Gael85

Diarmuid Connolly is a great talent but overrated. I'd argue that Paul Flynn has contributed a greater amount for Dublin over the last 7-8 years (bar the last 1 or 2 when injury/age has caught up). He has superb talent but definitely doesn't stand alongside the very best forwards of the last 10-15 years (Gooch, Canavan) which I've heard people try to argue.

Bernard Brogan was one of the greatest corner forwards I've ever seen for a period, but he steadily declined shortly after his peak and hasn't actually been one of the Countries top forwards for 4-5 years.

DC is a completely different player to Canavan,Gooch,B Brogan. He is a playmaker. His game is about getting on the ball and creating chances for others. 12-70 in 48 championship games isn't too bad for a modern half forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Gael85 wrote: »
    DC is a completely different player to Canavan,Gooch,B Brogan. He is a playmaker. His game is about getting on the ball and creating chances for others. 12-69 in 47 championship games isn't too back for a modern half forward

I know, but I don't think DC has influenced his team as significantly as they have. There have been seasons where he hasn't quite done it on the big day. His discipline has effected his team negatively several times, meaning that he was surplus this most recent season.

Overall he's managed two all stars despite apparently being one of the great forwards of his generation, in one of the greatest sides of all time. Not that all stars are the be all and end all metric, but I don't think he deserved any more than two, and I don't remember his ever being close to winning POTY.

And a final point, Lee Keegan (who I consider one of the greats of the last 4-5 years) has gotten the better of him on at least a few occasions.

Advertisement