Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Surely he'll write a book.

Titled "The Accidental Tourist" perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Surely he'll write a book.

I think he has suggested that this is in the pipeline. It would be a good opportunity for him to clarify everything in one place, once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

222233 wrote: »
    I think he has suggested that this is in the pipeline. It would be a good opportunity for him to clarify everything in one place, once and for all.

He'll never be as popular at the book signings as Nigella mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,749 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I thought he was a bit "faux" challenging. He went all guns blazing at one point and then just backed off- something like "I'll do my Paxman impression now, and get all angry- that'll scare 'em".

A good interviewer would have a more even-keel approach, drawing out the interviewee, and probe deeper where necessary, letting them make their own mistakes- Ryan doesn't like those type of interviews, and that's why he just isn't suited to what TLLS should be doing.

Ray Darcy on Saturday Nights for "fluff"- hopefully Brendan O' Connor for TLLS for some traditional good old-fashioned National Debate- some day! :)

The LLS is a (supposedly anyway) light entertainment and chat show (leaving aside the frequent misery stories).

Here we had a man who has been surrounded by controversy and where accusations of racism are levelled against anyone who questioned the circumstances of how he found himself on stage addressing a political rally in Egypt (as we've seen on this thread), and why the Government went through such extraordinary efforts to secure this particular man's release release since Leo came to power. You also cannot ignore the religious aspect of the case of course.

As a result, any doubt or questioning of the guy is beyond the pale for a vocal minority. A minority however which makes up a lot of the "legitimate" press and media of this country and dominates/floods social media discussion in most of these situations - usually with the aim of shutting down those questions.

Given all that, I'll stand by my assertion that Tubridy (and I wouldn't even be a fan) did what he could to dig into it all on a Live TV broadcast of a entertainment show.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This time last week some of you could not wait for the interview and were cocky that he would go through it and come out of it well.

Now that he made a complete tool out of people with his family and ye are all peed off at Turbidy.:pac::pac::pac:

The goalposts have been moved and its beautiful.

Oh dear...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    Here we had a man who has been surrounded by controversy and where accusations of racism are levelled against anyone.......

The only accusing in this thread is from those who want to paint Halawa as a radical criminal and a threat.

Those of us (including the Egyptian court) who see no evidence to support such accusations are entitled to question the motives of those making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

First Up wrote: »
    The only accusing in this thread is from those who want to paint Halawa as a radical criminal and a threat.

Those of us (including the Egyptian court) who see no evidence to support such accusations are entitled to question the motives of those making them.

You mean any Excuses to avoid the Truth

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Gatling wrote: »

the truth that nothing exists to back it up. best avoided until such time as there is tangible evidence from the authorities.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

the truth that nothing exists to back it up. best avoided until such time as there is tangible evidence from the authorities.

It's out there already for all to see .

The story was false

His poor treatment was lies

The starvation was lies

The gun shot was lies

The hand that can't close lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

No a lot of posters feel he was either a bit of a naive eejit meddling in things he didn't understand or was led by the nose by older family members, and that either way he has put the government, the dept of foreign affairs and the taxpayer to enormous trouble and expense. Under the circumstances there is something distasteful about some of the hoopla and triumphalism around his homecoming. It should be low key and the Halawas should just be glad he's home and encourage him to get on with his life. Instead they seem determined to present him as a tragic victim and to be glossing over their own role in the whole affair.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote:

No, just some evidence and I'd imagine the Egyptian prosecutors had more to go on than you.

Gatling wrote:
    It's out there already for all to see .

So the evidence is....?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The LLS is a (supposedly anyway) light entertainment and chat show (leaving aside the frequent misery stories).

No it's not. It's the official National show for debating issues of the day. The fact that the producers of this show have decided through the years to dumb it down into something that resembles The Ray Darcy Show, is not my concern.

As long as they call it "The Late Late Show", then I for one will view it as a serious contribution to Irish society and will criticise it relentlessly when it doesn't live up to that definition.

No it's not. It's the official National show for debating issues of the day.

Official?

Official?

National Broadcaster. Yes, absolutely official.

No, just some evidence and I'd imagine the Egyptian prosecutors had more to go on than you.

Gulible

National Broadcaster. Yes, absolutely official.

Does that mean Zig and Zag are the official national puppets?

The LLS's longevity gives it a certain position in Irish society but there is nothing official about it.

So the evidence is....?

Right in front of you .

Unlike the claims made repeatedly by others and when they were caught red handed :)

Resorted to claming racism.

game over

Gatling wrote:
    Right in front of you .

Still waiting......

Can somebody Prove he was shot? No

Can somebody prove he was starving? No.

Not one bit of evidence. Just pure and utter fabrication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Where he said his father said "you haven't been to Egypt"?

I can see how you are interpreting that as meaning "you have never been to Egypt" but I think he meant you haven't been for a while.

So the poster "interpreted" it as "you've never been to Egypt" but you "think" he meant "you haven't been in a while".

So the poster may have picked it up wrongly but by your admission you "think" so chances are you could be wrong also.

Still waiting......

To call racism.

poor

Can somebody Prove he was shot? No

Can somebody prove he was starving? No.

Totally agree

The evidence I would like is something to support the accusations that he is a menace to society - Ireland's in particular. Got any?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Leaving aside those that hold that the issue is a storm in a teacup-at this point in time it remains that:

Clonskeagh Mosque is known as the HQ of the Muslim Brotherhood in Europe by Muslims here and abroad.

The Muslim Brotherhood is a prescribed terrorist organisation in many Arab countries where they organisation has an active presence

Halawa the elder is stated to to be the general Secretary of the European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR), based at the Clonskeagh mosque. The organisation includes Yusuf al-Qaradawi - prominent within the intellectual leadership of the Muslim Brotherhood

Halawa the younger and siblings visited Egypt and actively participated in Muslim Brotherhood protests over several weeks under the banner of "Egyptians Abroad For Democracy", which is a pro-Muslim Brotherhood group.

National and Intrernational concerns as to the Halawa family's connections to the Muslim Brotherhood remain unanswered following the Halawas the younger release from prison in Egypt and return to Ireland ....

mfceiling wrote:
    So the poster may have picked it up wrongly but by your admission you "think" so chances are you could be wrong also.

Of course, but the family's practice of visiting their relatives in Egypt seems to be widely accepted. But yes, lets get some evidence of that.

Gatling wrote:
    To call racism.

poor

So none then.

The evidence I would like is something to support the accusations that he is a menace to society - Ireland's in particular. Got any?

Prove I did or end of the road seems like he agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Just a load of xenophobia and hate trying to find half-thought out "holes in the plot" to give itself some respectability.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    Just a load of xenophobia and hate trying to find half-thought out "holes in the plot" to give itself some respectability.

Then Prove it?

Go on....

we are waiting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement