Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Were Met E Correct to Extend the Red Warning Countrywide

Options
  • 17-10-2017 10:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭

Matter of some debate in the main chat thread.

Some posters (including myself) believe Met E overstepped the mark by extending Fridays Red Warning Countrywide.

Many believe that Met E were correct & this decision saved many lives.

I've stuck up a poll to gauge the public support for this decision, feel free to contribute.

Also, I'm aware I'm posting this poll in the Lions Den so to speak as the prevailing opinion is in favour of Met E.
    I am prepared to reconsider my position should the perceived prevailing opinion rule me incorrect.

Dis Met E make the correct call extending the Red Warning Nationwide 860 votes

Yes, it was the correct decision
    0% 0 votes
    No, should have stayed at Fridays red, no further
    94% 812 votes
    Some inbetween wishy washey position which is mandatory to add to polls
    5% 48 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No children were killed on their way to school.
    Good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes, Met Eireann were correct.

Where's the poll? Not showing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I don't post on the weather forum and I'm not a MÉ fanboy.

I think they were right to extend the red warning. Based on the available info they had, it suggested that it would be the worst storm in 56 years. That's enough for me.

3 people sadly died yesterday. The toll would almost certainly have been higher had the warning not been extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What is the issue here? They issued it and most people listened so stayed indoors. How dare they try to save lives?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Of course they did the right, better too be safe than sorry, how can you not see that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They were correct. They were better to err on the side of caution. We have never had a storm like this in recorded history, so no one coyld have foretold, despite all the technology how severe it would be.
    The schools closed for a second day may have been a bit OTT but certainly not for Monday.

They made a call and I respect them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Three people were killed even after being advised not to go outside etc... How many might have been killed if everyone went about their day as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

100% right. Trees down everywhere even in Dublin which escaped the worst of it. A normal working day this would of killed and injured many more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Poll should now be visible.
    Dis should read Did.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

damned if they do damned if they don't

yes they did the right thing..well done ME and well done Joanna Donnelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The schools closed for a second day may have been a bit OTT but certainly not for Monday.

That's solely a heath and safety issue, they have to allow for staff to go in and assess any damage and to make repairs as necessary lest a child be injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Judging by the empty roads and very quiet town centres around the country Status Red worked and probably prevented a lot of potential accidents/tragedies, so yes, I think Red countrywide was the correct call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

And if it wasn't a Red Alert and people died, you'd be first on complaining that they didn't do enough. Very easy for people sitting behind their comfortable computer never having to make an important decision in their lives, giving out about the people who have to make the hard decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

let's be honest here. the people whingeing are most likely business owners who care about losing some money than the safety of their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

froog wrote: »
    let's be honest here. the people whingeing are most likely business owners who care about losing some money than the safety of their staff.

Yesterday should show a lot of workers exactly how much their company thinks of them. Some companies pay lip-service to saying staff are key to their business...but still wouldn't heed official warnings to stay indoors/only make journeys if absolutely required.

I reckon we'll see a lot of people looking at moving jobs in the near future cos they now realise the company doesn't give a damn about them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

yes they did, I am in Dublin and did not think it was that bad until I went out to put the bag in the wheelie bin, I ended up flat on my back, it blew me over like a paper doll

Currently getting my ass handed to me 50:1

249970d1393016646t-jail-breaking-samsung-image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

100% Correct.

Not one ounce of me believes they where incorrect. The conditions in some locations where horrendous.
    At the time that could have extended to the entire country.

But Dublin didn't get hit so Met Eireann where wrong?!

Imagine they didn't, schools ran no damage was done to any of the schools, but then parents couldn't pick the kids.
    Or a family killed by a tree falling.

I was stuck attempting to return home at 11am after I was told I had to get into work.
    I believe this was a massive mistake to issue this order to employees, as I had to get back to safety when things appeared to be at their worst for me.

Edit: Until Sunday I was not in the RED Zone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There was a sting jet which hit just off the south coast. If that hit over land, we would have seen major hurricane strength winds over populated areas

Sting jets are a 'now cast' situation, it's not currently possible to predict if or where they will form with any precision using existing technology

The National red alert was absolutely the right call given the danger associated with this storm. A lot of people were severely impacted up to and including the tragic loss of life, and places that were not severely affected could easily have been if the track had shifted by even a small amount, well within the margin of error of the 24 hour outlook from Friday into Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Given the unpredictability of weather generally and the fact there was no way to isolate specific areas so that any warning would be clear and precise - a national warning was the only alternative.

The only ones complaining appear to be those from areas that were not badly affected. Lucky them. As a house-holder who has a damaged roof and is surrounded by downed trees, lost power and closed roads in an area that was never originally a red alert, I think they made the right call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Looks like a resounding YES in the poll so far

Lumi wrote: »
    Looks like a resounding YES in the poll so far

Tastes so good

cdb07fe52edfc220cecf3f84017ef78e_XL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Of course it was the right call. If it hadn't been issued countrywide and people died or places got destroyed in an area that didn't have a red warning there would be uproar. Some people are never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I want to ask about the time period of the warning, they about the east coast in the afternoon so anyone doing anything there in the morning would be fine https://twitter.com/MetAlertIreland/status/919647014899605504/photo/1

one could say that resources from a calm area of the country could be needed in a storm affected area, but it would it not be better to use whatever predictions you have and be a bit more specific and then people were believe you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

100% correct.

We live in an area that got away with the storm very very lightly. However, my partner works in Galway so he would have been driving into one of the original red warning areas. He drives the M6 which is quite exposed in a few areas with a couple of very strong cross winds at the best of times. I think a lot of people would have been in this situation, having to commute into or out of red warning areas. I think having to commute out of one would have been worse as your employer may not have had any regards for your local situation or the dangers posed.

Thankfully in our situation my OH works for a company that are very understanding and an email was sent out by his boss Sunday morning for their team to work from home yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Matter of some debate in the main chat thread.

Some posters (including myself) believe Met E overstepped the mark by extending Fridays Red Warning Countrywide.

Many believe that Met E were correct & this decision saved many lives.

I've stuck up a poll to gauge the public support for this decision, feel free to contribute.

Also, I'm aware I'm posting this poll in the Lions Den so to speak as the prevailing opinion is in favour of Met E.
    I am prepared to reconsider my position should the perceived prevailing opinion rule me incorrect.

Some bellends in Co. Louth went kite surfing. Rescue services were called out, including a helicopter, which may have been required elsewhere for example to airlift somebody to hospital if local roads were blocked by trees.

Another bellend went for a swim in Salthill. Despite his macho interview afterwards, he could have been crushed against the handrail as he walked out the steps. More emergency services would have been required.

Had there not been a nationwide alert there would have been many more bellends doing more stupid things, putting further strain on emergency services who had better things to be doing yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I would vote the wishy washy one on the poll for the smile it raised.

But I agree with the decision they made.
    It kept a lot of people in, which considering the three deaths attributed to the storm , was a blessing.
    I work in what's considered an essential job but last night was my night off and I was very grateful that I didn't have to leave the house.
    I certainly didn't envy anyone who had to.

So to recap - yes good decision met eireann

Three people died, had the red warning not been announced for the entire country the figure could have been much higher. If it saves a single life then the red warning is worth it, so what if people miss a day of work or their swim. I do think that in future if a red warning is made that anyone who decides to go swimming or kite surfing should be left to it. Wasting emergency services when they could be needed elsewhere. And the twat who wants to make a complaint about not being allowed kite surf should be forced to pay for the cast of the call out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Don't know about anyone else but I'm on the edge of my seat here waiting to see if OP changes his/her opinion!

Anyhoo, yes from me. Two people died in counties that were originally orange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭mosstin

jasper100 wrote: »
    Some bellends in Co. Louth went kite surfing. Rescue services were called out, including a helicopter, which may have been required elsewhere for example to airlift somebody to hospital if local roads were blocked by trees.

Another bellend went for a swim in Salthill. Despite his macho interview afterwards, he could have been crushed against the handrail as he walked out the steps. More emergency services would have been required.

Had there not been a nationwide alert there would have been many more bellends doing more stupid things, putting further strain on emergency services who had better things to be doing yesterday.

I'm 100% convinced that we've become such attention seeking whores as human beings that some folk decided yesterday morning to go out, do something stupid in the storm just to see what attention it would get. That then puts other people's lives in danger when they've got to go out and rescue them.

Advertisement