Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Were Met E Correct to Extend the Red Warning Countrywide

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I can hear the Barrell scraping
    What gaoth láidir does your opinion or MT’s on not calling red have to do with whether a red was justified by those eminently more qualified than you or I in saving lives nationally?
    Are you actually saying calling red didn’t
    If so your opinions fall into the bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I can hear the Barrell scraping
    What gaoth láidir does your opinion or MT’s on not calling red have to do with whether a red was justified by those eminently more qualified than you or I in saving lives nationally?
    Are you actually saying calling red didn’t
    If so your opinions fall into the bizarre

What's my qualification got to do with anything? I'm merely stating an opinion. What I say here has absolutely zero bearing on whether M.É. issue red alerts or otherwise, so relax. You seem to be taking it a bit to much to heart, bringing someone's death into it and then making stuff up.

Over and out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Ah lads. Let it go.

What's my qualification got to do with anything? I'm merely stating an opinion. What I say here has absolutely zero bearing on whether M.É. issue red alerts or otherwise, so relax. You seem to be taking it a bit to much to heart, bringing someone's death into it and then making stuff up.

Over and out.

Bringing someone’s death into a discussion on how more lives were saved by Red
    How dare I...

As for making stuff up,you were stating numbers were the only thing involved in red
    I contradicted you and when you posted met Éireanns guideline examples for red decisions outside of numbers you’re saying I made up the fact that that meant you must accept the red decision isn’t solely numbers based
    Ergo your whole premise thread wide about numbers only being the threshold was opinion never fact

That’s not making something up

Bringing someone’s death into a discussion on how more lives were saved by Red
    How dare I...

As for making stuff up,you were stating numbers were the only thing involved in red
    I contradicted you and when you posted met Éireanns guideline examples for red decisions outside of numbers you’re saying I made up the fact that that meant you must accept the red decision isn’t solely numbers based
    Ergo your whole premise thread wide about numbers only being the threshold was opinion never fact

That’s not making something up

Eh, I quoted the same warning rationale 12 days ago here and spoke about it then, so posting it again today doesn't change my opinion. That's what you made up.

• Advertisement

Eh, I quoted the same warning rationale 12 days ago here and spoke about it then, so posting it again today doesn't change my opinion. That's what you made up.

Nope ,you ignored the bit about how red isn’t solely numbers based by continuing to bleat on about how a red shouldn’t have been declared nationwide because of numbers
    You even repeated today that all warnings are solely numbers based when you know that to be untrue and even reference the non numbers based factorology in parts despite continuing to say numbers are the only factor
    Frankly bizarre

Nope ,you ignored the bit about how red isn’t solely numbers based by continuing to bleat on about how a red shouldn’t have been declared nationwide because of numbers
    You even repeated today that all warnings are solely numbers based when you know that to be untrue and even reference the non numbers based factorology in parts despite continuing to say numbers are the only factor
    Frankly bizarre

I don't think you quite know what it is you're saying at this stage. I never said today that all warnings are solely numbers-based. Read my point about the west and north again and you'll see that my point was that there didn't warrant a red regardless of what metric you use, numbers-based or otherwise.

There's no point in continuing the discussion with you if you're not going to at least follow my point. Let's agree to disagree and be done with it.

I don't think you quite know what it is you're saying at this stage. I never said today that all warnings are solely numbers-based. Read my point about the west and north again and you'll see that my point was that there didn't warrant a red regardless of what metric you use, numbers-based or otherwise.

There's no point in continuing the discussion with you if you're not going to at least follow my point. Let's agree to disagree and be done with it.

You see,here’s the rub
    Met Éireann’s own warnings are defined by they themselves,Red being singled out as one that isn’t solely numbers based
    They and the ERC in their vast experience both came to the decision that red was warranted to save lives
    If you think your mathematical view that they were wrong is an opinion that should be unchallenged,you are wrong
    Wrong to the point of caring for maths or some kind of purism , more than caring about what it takes to save lives
    That You or anyone persists with that line of thought,I do not get

So yeah we do disagree ,I agree with you there

If you think your mathematical view that they were wrong is an opinion that should be unchallenged,you are wrong

Challenge away, but at least do it fairly. Just the same way I can challenge your opinion or anyone else's.

Question: Do you think a red in the west and north was warranted, and if so, why? Forget the rest of the country.

Question: Do you think a red in the west and north was warranted, and if so, why? Forget the rest of the country.

Of course I do,and why has been explained ad nauseum on how quadrupling the numbers out and about(sans red warning) would have meant more in harms way-is most of this thread invisible to you or something?

• Advertisement

Of course I do,and why has been explained ad nauseum on how quadrupling the numbers out and about(sans red warning) would have meant more in harms way-is most of this thread invisible to you or something?

You're avoiding my question. I'm talking about the west and north only. There was much less danger there than they're well used to.

I'm talking about the west and north only. There was much less danger there than they're well used to.

Says you
    Says it all really

Says you
    Says it all really

So no answer then.

So no answer then.

Still not reading the thread then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] There was much less danger there than they're well used to.

Says me too. There were not-even-orange-warning winds in the past that caused significantly more destruction here, at NW - Doris being an excellent example. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

joujoujou wrote: »
    Says me too. There were not-even-orange-warning winds in the past that caused significantly more destruction here, at NW - Doris being an excellent example. :p

I recall being chastised on this very forum for saying the same at the time.. isn't that right BB? :P

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

For anyone who still feels the red warning wasn't justified

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/wife-louth-man-who-tragically-11495519

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Rikand wrote: »
    For anyone who still feels the red warning wasn't justified

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/wife-louth-man-who-tragically-11495519

Crap piece of journalism ( I clicked it and now I feel dirty)

First: it wasn't a Hurricane.

Second: The warning didn't matter to the man anyway, he went outside while he should have stayed indoors.
    The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties; this could be by moving their families out of the danger zone temporarily; by staying indoors; or by other specific actions aimed at mitigating the effects of the weather conditions.

Red warning was justified, No question

But fact is I have seen trees down during a yellow warning

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is such a red herring its unbelievable, and I'd love a word with the P.O.S. tabloid hack who I assume suggested this as an avenue for discussion for this grieving family, as its unlikely in the circumstances that they decided to speak out about it off their own bat, and the TD was a worse eejit to raise it in the Dáil.

Are people advised to exercise maximum caution for themselves and their property during a Red Warning? Yes

Is Met Eireann / National Emergency Co-ordination Centre a babysitting service for the general public? No, prudent information is issued, adults make their own decisions

Should all movement of citizens be banned during a Red Warning? No, its impossible, impractical and unworkable, so a non-starter.

Should anyone who endangers themselves unnecessarily during a red warning be left to the mercy of the elements, e.g. by entering the sea, storm watching, kite flying etc? In my view yes the emergency services should not be tasked to rescue fools.

But lets be clear, Fintan Goss did not endanger himself unnecessarily, he was the tragic victim of a very rare and unfortunate accident while making his way home to shelter, an accident of the kind that will always happen, in weather alert conditions and not and while his family deserve our full sympathy and the support of their community, there is nothing that can be done to bring him back and nothing that can be done to prevent freak occurrences happening to random people.

May he rest in peace.

Advertisement