Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Kershaw gave up his first ever grand slam last night having previously not allowed a HR in 103 bases loaded situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

New Home Run record set for a season.

So what do we reckon folks. Are the balls juiced. Have the batters just changed approach. Or something else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

annoyingly if the Nats had swept the dodgers there would be just one game between them. As of right now there is five with a game in hand to the Nats.

Anything is possible. could end up with the best record in baseball, but just want a damn playoff win.

And to answer your question Shymets - the balls are juiced and the approach is different in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ShyMets wrote: »
    New Home Run record set for a season.

So what do we reckon folks. Are the balls juiced. Have the batters just changed approach. Or something else
    Juiced. I mean, Jose Reyes has 13 home runs and hasn't hit more than 10 for the last 7 years. And approach too, conditioning for home runs.

And of course pitching isn't what it once was, if pitchers knew they'd be going 8 or 7 innings each game, they wouldn't be burning themselves out so much and would pitch more carefully, not the 'here it is, hit it' style we see so much of (cf. Noah Syndegaard, earlier Matt Harvey, ...) Plus there are just plain a lot of bad pitchers out there because teams use so many.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Juiced. I mean, Jose Reyes has 13 home runs and hasn't hit more than 10 for the last 7 years. And approach too, conditioning for home runs.

And of course pitching isn't what it once was, if pitchers knew they'd be going 8 or 7 innings each game, they wouldn't be burning themselves out so much and would pitch more carefully, not the 'here it is, hit it' style we see so much of (cf. Noah Syndegaard, earlier Matt Harvey, ...) Plus there are just plain a lot of bad pitchers out there because teams use so many.

I wouldnt disagree that the ball is juiced but your example of Jose Reyes isnt very accurate. He hasnt played enough games in the last 5 years for it to be relevant. When he did play 130+ he hit 11 Hr's.

• Advertisement

I can’t remember the exact number but the percentage of at-bats ending in a HR, strike or ball is way up this year too.

Much fewer balls being put in play in this ‘all or nothing’ era.

Home run chat even made it onto the the42.ie website

http://www.the42.ie/baseball-season-record-home-run-3607893-Sep2017/

56 for Stanton today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Four games and a game in hand for the Nats ...

The Indians now one behind the overall best record as well ...

Hard to say anyone wouldn't want the dodgers in the playoffs right now, they are capitulating.

• Advertisement

Reports today that the Mets are expecting Terry Collins to retire at the end of the season

Reports today that the Mets are expecting Terry Collins to retire at the end of the season

Retire before getting pushed out I’d say.

He’s 71-72 or something so it’s probably the right decision. I like him as a person and always found him good to listen to and the players seem to like playing for him but his management of the bullpen has always been awful.

I don’t know who’s out there to replace him but it probably is the right time to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Retire before getting pushed out I’d say.

He’s 71-72 or something so it’s probably the right decision. I like him as a person and always found him good to listen to and the players seem to like playing for him but his management of the bullpen has always been awful.

I don’t know who’s out there to replace him but it probably is the right time to move on.

Rumours doing the rounds last few months that he was leaving. Probably jumping before the inevitable push.

A nice guy but a coach with flaws. Misuse of the bullpen, over reliance on veterans, not giving young players a chance.

Best of luck with his retirement. The names mooted to replace him are less then inspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ShyMets wrote: »
    Rumours doing the rounds last few months that he was leaving. Probably jumping before the inevitable push.

A nice guy but a coach with flaws. Misuse of the bullpen, over reliance on veterans, not giving young players a chance.

Best of luck with his retirement. The names mooted to replace him are less then inspiring
    Manager's only as good as his players, and a manager with good players that underachieves loses his job. Terry Collins is an average to below-average manager. But, he's a company man first and foremost, never rocks the boat and was the stuckee in the job while the Wilponzis "righted" their corrupt bankrupt ship on the backs of the Met's fans. They all got very lucky in 2015 and in some ways moreso in 2016, bandaging over a decade+ of ineptitude. Now, if Collins goes and some clone like Bob Geren is brought in, well, it'll come down to whether or not the players are healthy and perform well. 2018 is not looking good, way too many risks and basically a lineup full of holes. Plus the Wilpons still own the team and are still broke, so they're going to be run like a small market team yet again.

Collins has cost the team games, this is pointed out all the time. And, his over-reliance on veterans is laughable, especially this year when the veterans were performing so badly and they needed some kind of spark. I say, good bye Terry, you're the only Mets manager in team history to lead the team to a playoff berth 2 years in a row, for which you'll be remembered.

There don't appear to be any great candidates out there. Ron Gardenhire maybe? This ould wan remembers him as Rusty Staub's pinch-runner during Rusty's final tour of duty as a Met when he set all kinds of pinch hitting records.

Would like a manager who has a record of success elsewhere. Not Bob Geren. Maybe Robin Ventura, I think with Ventura there, the infield defense would improve and there'd be less loafing (cf. Yoenis Cespedes). But even with Connie Mack or John McGraw, the team has so many issues the manager's not going to make a big difference right away.

Brad Ausmus fired by the Tigers. He'll finish out the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Ryan Goins pulls off a hidden ball trick and hits a grand slam in the same game. Arguably the greatest MLB performance ever

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Ryan Goins pulls off a hidden ball trick and hits a grand slam in the same game. Arguably the greatest MLB performance ever

That was great. Here's a vid if anyone wants to see.

http://deadspin.com/yankees-comprehensively-owned-by-blue-jays-infielder-1818688031?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Dodgers won last night to stay 1 ahead of Cleveland (6 games left) and 4.5 ahead of the Nats (7 games left)

Think the Dodgers should hold off Washington, but expect Cleveland to pass us out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Judge just broke the rookie HR record.

Judge just broke the rookie HR record.

Delighted for him.. He's a tank and I hope he stays healthy for many years

• Advertisement

Dodgers have wrapped up home field advantage in the NL (for as long as they survive)
    Think we might hold off the Indians as well now.

Can't wait for the Play-offs to start. Some savage potential fixtures coming up. Would love to see it as follows:

NL Wildcard:
    Brewers @ Diamondbacks

AL Wildcard:
    Twins @ Yankees

NLDS:
    Cubs @ Nationals
    Diamondbacks @ Dodogers

ALDS:
    Yankees @ Indians
    Red Sox @ Astros

NLCS:
    Cubs @ Dodgers
    Yankees @ Red Sox

WS:
    Yankees @ Dodgers

Dodgers have wrapped up home field advantage in the NL (for as long as they survive)
    Think we might hold off the Indians as well now.

Can't wait for the Play-offs to start. Some savage potential fixtures coming up. Would love to see it as follows:

NL Wildcard:
    Brewers @ Diamondbacks

AL Wildcard:
    Twins @ Yankees

NLDS:
    Cubs @ Nationals
    Diamondbacks @ Dodogers

ALDS:
    Yankees @ Indians
    Red Sox @ Astros

NLCS:
    Cubs @ Dodgers
    Yankees @ Red Sox

WS:
    Yankees @ Dodgers

I’m going to stick with my Nats pick. Upsetting the Indians in 7 in the WS.

I’m going to stick with my Nats pick. Upsetting the Indians in 7 in the WS.

I hope you are right, that would be my perfect scenario with family in both places.

I think the Diamondbacks will handle the Dodgers, I am worried about the Nationals against the Cubs. As always it's the playoffs, thats when we lose.

The AL is more clear cut for me though both the Indians and Astros are better teams than the Yankees and Red Sox. That said both of those teams are big teams who have the pieces if they get some momentum. Would love to see the Twins knock the Yankees out.

I hope you are right, that would be my perfect scenario with family in both places.

I think the Diamondbacks will handle the Dodgers, I am worried about the Nationals against the Cubs. As always it's the playoffs, thats when we lose.

The AL is more clear cut for me though both the Indians and Astros are better teams than the Yankees and Red Sox. That said both of those teams are big teams who have the pieces if they get some momentum. Would love to see the Twins knock the Yankees out.

Oh my picks were just based on what would be the most exciting series'
    Unless the Dodgers bullpen sorts it's self out, we're going after 4 games

Oh my picks were just based on what would be the most exciting series'
    Unless the Dodgers bullpen sorts it's self out, we're going after 4 games

Its not just your bull pen, your starters have been terribly inconsistent.

But the last week or two of the season is always hard to figure out whats going on.

Also I would disagree with you on the Cubs/Dodger being more exciting than the Dodgers/Nats. The latter if everyone plays to their potential would be a barnstormer of a series.

Also I would disagree with you on the Cubs/Dodger being more exciting than the Dodgers/Nats. The latter if everyone plays to their potential would be a barnstormer of a series.

Ok, that one was slightly biased. I want revenge for last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Would love to see the Twins knock the Yankees out.

I think that largely depends on what version of Judge shows up.

Jeter and his gang have been approved by the owners to buy the Marlins.

Let the fire sale of players begin!

3 games in Denver for Giancarlo Stanton and zero HRs. I thought this was going to be a great opportunity to pad the HR total but he only went 1 for 12 with only a double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Cubs win the NL Central again. First WS Champion team since the 2009 Phillies to win their Division the next season. Baseball is hard!!

Now for the Nats with a returning Bryce Harper. NL will be interesting. Hard to pick at this stage who is likely to come out on top.

Advertisement