Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are smokers genetically predisposed to being an asshat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I'm a smoker.

I'm also a blood platelets donor, I donate every 4 weeks. God forbid you or your family ever need a transfusion, make sure you tell the hospital how much you hate smokers, tell them that you don't want a transfusion from a smoker, tell them how you hate the smell and that smokers are scum etc. :D

I bet you won't.

I'm a smoker to and have given blood a good few times.my doctor smokes like a trooper ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

MadDog76 wrote: »
    If somebody stood next to me with a lit stick I wouldn't be annoyed ........ I'd be confused ........ and if it bothered me in any way I'd just go somewhere else .......... INSIDE, for example. :)
    Which you can't if - as someone mentioned earlier - you're in a queue for an ATM or waiting for a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I dont have time to read through 93 replies, too much of a drag. How many peer reviewed studies were discussed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

But he didn't say 'asshole' he said 'arsehole'.....taking the level of debate up a couple of notches of course.

So that makes it Irish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What an appallingly bad argument.

First, I think it would bother you, as you meekly concede with the "and if it did..." addendum. And, because of that, I don't think you would happily move inside if you were to encounter it frequently, as non-smokers do.

No. You're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

First, I think it would bother you, as you meekly concede with the "and if it did..." addendum. And, because of that, I don't think you would happily move inside if you were to encounter it frequently, as non-smokers do.

If you're going around with lit sticks thinking it's going to upset smokers you're in for a shock ......... we'd probably just ask you if we can light up off your big cute matchstick!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

eleventh wrote: »
    Which you can't if - as someone mentioned earlier - you're in a queue for an ATM or waiting for a bus.

Boohoo .......... you'll survive. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'm a smoker.

I don't smoke around my nieces and nephews. I don't light up at bus stops unless I'm standing well away from others. When I started giving lifts to work to colleagues I asked them if it was ok for me to smoke in the car. In fairness, if they said no it would be the last lift they got but Hey I asked.

I will smoke walking down the street, sitting at any cafe, pub, restaurant etc that has either a designated smoking area or just a general outdoor area.

I don't throw butts on the ground.

From about :10 secs in

Enjoy. I'm out for a fag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Just when I thought we had hats for everything that needed a hat...

15545183-Handsome-Donkey-in-a-hat-of-the-cowboy-poses-in-park-Stock-Photo.jpg

He looks like he's re-living a humorous moment in his life just there. Or looks like he knows something the rest of us aren't prescient enough to grasp or realise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It says "Smoking Kills" and has pictures of the medical horrors of smoking on the packaging. They can see the money draining from their bank account - how much will a pack go up in the in next budget? For decades there have been anti smoking adverts and we all know people have died of lung cancer or are wheezing their way to an early grave.

Anyone who smokes is a moron and they deserve their horrible death.

They have no excuse.

No pity or sympathy for anyone who smokes.

I quit 4 years ago and reading obnoxious sh*te like this makes me want to start again so I don't turn into such a horrible, bitter person.
    As for money, I am proud of the fact that I bought all my tobacco from Aldi in Germany. 40g for €3.40 at the time. Packet would do me a week, x52 = €176.80 pet annum.
    So overall a very reasonably priced affair. And safer than those Chinese fags 3/4 of Irish smokers are smoking that will put them in hospital far quicker than the proper fags and will cost the state a sh*tload of money.
    Why?
    Because of the bat excrement insane prices of a packet of cigarettes.
    Result?
    People will by illegal counterfeit cigarettes, brought in by criminal gangs. Government loses tax revenue. Government now has to spend millions combating criminal gangs that are extremely wealthy and heavily armed, so double loss. Meanwhile more people will end up needing hospital treatment due to illegal fags contaminated with god knows what.
    So triple loss.
    Stupidly expensive cigarettes will end up costing the Irish government billions. And that's without the legal option of taking the ferry to France and loading up with fags and booze (more losses due to idiotic high alcohol prices).
    The Irish government is practically machine gunning it's own feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

jaysus OP you obviously havent much to worry about.
    you sound like a SJW with that type of OTT reaction to a bit of smoke coming your way OUTDOORS.

sure some people dont like hearing the horrible sound of some yoke eating up a big mayonaissey sandwich in their faces either. why would anyone ever sit outside a LONDIS to eat lunch - it's hardly the type of place you can expect a "high caliber" of clientele now is it?

do you regularly go around looking for trouble, or just with smokers?

:rolleyes:
    This is a bizzare post, if I'm perfectly honest. Not wanting to breathe in someone else's manky smoke makes us snowflakes and a sjw? It's fûcking gross dude. That sloppy mayo eater you talk about isn't smearing his mayo on you or sticking it up your nose. He's not impacting on you. You have no right to blow smile all over another person who makes the decision themselves not to smoke and chooses not to smell of stale smoke. They're not precious, people like you are just selfish.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 ChromeAutofill

Would smokers like it if people sprayed deoderent in their face, wouodn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

marcus001 wrote: »
    I'd say it knocks about 2-3 points off at most. Whenever I see a girl whose kind of middling to begin with and is a smoker I just think, "you're not exactly selling yourself here love".

Pretty much. Some people seriously getting up in arms here over an opinion I have about something that turns me off!

"I'm sure you're a 10 yourself". Never said I was. Distinctly average looking actually.

"Oh you rank women out of ten". I don't, a perfect 10 is just a phrase to describe someone beautiful. If I see them lighting up, it just takes away from that... for me.

"I'm sure they're devastated". Well no because it's just an internal at-a-glance thought I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Would smokers like it if people sprayed deoderent in their face, wouodn't think so.

Well, no, but surely you must be able to differentiate between someone who smokes, and someone who is just inconsiderate of other people?

There are plenty of smokers who are considerate of other people, and plenty of non-smokers who are just inconsiderate of other people too. I don't think it's necessarily whether a person smokes or not automatically means they are inconsiderate of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JollyBustard

Spider Web wrote: »
    I have a cigarette when drinking, so I smoke weekly (and I buy my own! I leave them in my bag for the week - I just don't enjoy them without a few drinks first) and I do agree there is an acceptance of just dropping cigarette butts on the ground, but any other littering is a no-no. Also, don't blow smoke in people's faces or light up right next to a person who is not smoking. Not many people do it, to be fair, but it's obnoxious!

Companies should limit fag breaks too - going out for five minutes every hour is too much.

But no, not all smokers are "asshats".
    Heckler wrote: »
    I'm a smoker.

I don't smoke around my nieces and nephews. I don't light up at bus stops unless I'm standing well away from others. When I started giving lifts to work to colleagues I asked them if it was ok for me to smoke in the car. In fairness, if they said no it would be the last lift they got but Hey I asked.

I will smoke walking down the street, sitting at any cafe, pub, restaurant etc that has either a designated smoking area or just a general outdoor area.

I don't throw butts on the ground.

Enjoy. I'm out for a fag.

I came here to say exactly this. I'm a smoker, but I've been told that I'm a 'considerate' smoker (whether that's something you allow in your lexicon or not).

I always go outside - my partner doesn't smoke, so rain or shine, whether he's there or not - smoke outside... In my own home. Walking down the road I'll smoke, can't help if someone passes by, but always take into mind factors like direction of wind, whether holding the cigarette higher than them will help (as I'm quite tall. It may look stupid, but it's my bad habit so why should they suffer even a moment of it), things like that. I'll stand away from a group of non-smoking friends as best I can, even if I'm missing the craic :rolleyes:

As for throwing the butts on the ground. If I know there's a bin on my route, I'll hold onto it. Otherwise, make sure it's fully stubbed out and back in the package. Awful, but what ya gonna do?! :P

So to answer the OP, not all smokers are 'asshats' insofar as I can tell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Some fella says a stunning girl becomes unattractive, or less attractive, if they are smoking and people make snide remarks about him not being able to pull her.
    I don't think you need to be able to pull a certain girl to be able to say she's otherwise very physically attractive to you but something about her makes her less so

To be fair I'd say this is most likely because that poster said something about a "10 becoming a 2", which is an incredibly moronic and immature thing to say. Maybe the poster is still in secondary school, which would make it more acceptable I suppose, but a grown man should expect to be called up on it when spouting such tripe.

To be fair I'd say this is most likely because that poster said something about a "10 becoming a 2", which is an incredibly moronic and immature thing to say. Maybe the poster is still in secondary school, which would make it more acceptable I suppose, but a grown man should expect to be called up on it when spouting such tripe.

Would you ever get a grip with the hyperbole there`?! A perfect 10 is a phrase people use to describe someone beautiful. That's all it was. I said when I see someone absolutely drop dead gorgeous smoking she loses all attraction in my eyes. So what? It's a viewpoint. It's personal taste. It's nothing to do with maturity or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Perhaps it was assumed that they were spouting the PUA bullsh!t lingo of using numbers to rate people and their likely partners, but I don't think Omackeral, even if he is a Bohs fan and therefore a bastard, has a history of spouting that crap.

osarusan wrote: »
    Perhaps it was assumed that they were spouting the PUA bullsh!t lingo of using numbers to rate people and their likely partners, but I don't think Omackeral, even if he is a Bohs fan and therefore a bastard, has a history of spouting that crap.

Ha ha thanks man. It was just really a way to illustrate that smoking is a turn off for me. If I see a girl lighting up, it's turns me off and I don't find her as hot anymore. That's honestly all I was saying. You'd swear I was going up to women saying ''ya know, if you didn't smoke you could get with this 5 foot 7, middle of the road looking, slightly overweight hunk of beef.''.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ha ha thanks man. It was just really a way to illustrate that smoking is a turn off for me. If I see a girl lighting up, it's turns me off and I don't find her as hot anymore. That's honestly all I was saying. You'd swear I was going up to women saying ''ya know, if you didn't smoke you could get with this 5 foot 7, middle of the road looking, slightly overweight hunk of beef.''.

Apologies, I got the wrong end of the stick :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Why not just say "it makes a gorgeous woman way less gorgeous" so? I'm sure you're not some PUA misogynistic prick but a "10 becomes a 2" sounds like something Jay from The Inbetweeners would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dunno about any of that but anytime I see a 10 lighting up a smoke she instantly becomes a 2. It's the biggest turn off for me.

Fair enough,anyone think smoking makes somebody look hotter though? :pac:. I personally hate smoking myself but I think it looks cool when others do it

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Why not just say "it makes a gorgeous woman way less gorgeous" so? I'm sure you're not some PUA misogynistic prick but a "10 becomes a 2" sounds like something Jay from The Inbetweeners would say.

Cos it's a turn of phrase to call someone beautiful a 10 and that's what I did. That's all. I didn't make up the phrase myself. I don't go around with scorecards. Jaysis lads, it was a throwaway opinion on a discussion forum. Y'all need to chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pelvis wrote: »
    Wow, SJW comes up in the second post, new record that!

indeed, a genuinely funny and interesting thread title in AH and already ruined by post 2 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Cos it's a turn of phrase to call someone beautiful a 10 and that's what I did. That's all. I didn't make up the phrase myself. I don't go around with scorecards. Jaysis lads, it was a throwaway opinion on a discussion forum. Y'all need to chill.

Apparantly I was a '10' when I smoked, now that I've quit I must be at least '11'.......with apologies to Nigel Tufnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭cbreeze

If I see van drivers throwing butts out of their windows onto the street outside my house I always contact the company and report the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Pretty much. Some people seriously getting up in arms here over an opinion I have about something that turns me off!

"I'm sure you're a 10 yourself". Never said I was. Distinctly average looking actually.

"Oh you rank women out of ten". I don't, a perfect 10 is just a phrase to describe someone beautiful. If I see them lighting up, it just takes away from that... for me.

"I'm sure they're devastated". Well no because it's just an internal at-a-glance thought I have.

Up in arms? Don't be such a drama queen.

As for just a phrase. Tell any woman that she's a ten and you'll be letting them know exactly how shallow you are.

But if you need to justify it to make yourself feel better, go ahead. I'm going to step outside and have a cigarette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Grayson wrote: »
    Up in arms? Don't be such a drama queen.

As for just a phrase. Tell any woman that she's a ten and you'll be letting them know exactly how shallow you are.

But if you need to justify it to make yourself feel better, go ahead. I'm going to step outside and have a cigarette.

True enough, though tell any woman that she's a 'two' and somehow I think she'll believe that you're the shallowest of shallow men, far, far shallower than that deeply shallow man who called her a 'ten'.

What type do you smoke btw, I used to smoke B&H.

Boom_Bap wrote:
    But seriously, people smoking around me is not a bother. It wasn't too long ago where the smoking ban didn't exist and we freely went into places with people smoking freely.
    I don't know about freely... it was more that we didn't have a choice. I had a parent who smoked and it was not uncommon as well to get lifts with smokers, many of whom didn't even bother opening their window. I hated that actually but at the same time just had to put up with.

The reason it bothers me these days I think is that fresh air is now the norm. It actually irritates my throat if I accidentally breathe smoke. I'm sure it wasn't good breathing it as a child either but I suppose as humans we just adapt.

Living in a city or urban area, there's a certain amount we have to overlook, annoying as it is at times.

Many smokers I think would be considerate enough, but many also would not - it's probably about 50-50. It's more the inconsiderate, 'addict' type - completely selfish and oblivious to those around them - that a thread like this would be directed at.

• Advertisement

MadDog76 wrote: »
    If you're going around with lit sticks thinking it's going to upset smokers you're in for a shock ......... we'd probably just ask you if we can light up off your big cute matchstick!!! :D
    The point being made there was that some smokers are completely oblivious to the smell or effect on others. You may ignore or not notice it yourself when you're a smoker standing beside another smoker. But if you were standing near to someone, let's say with really bad BO, or someone reeking of perfume that you'd smell a few metres away, on a hot day, with no breeze, that might give you an idea of what it's like. It would be multiplied a few times though because smoke spreads a good bit farther than BO would.

Advertisement