Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are smokers genetically predisposed to being an asshat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I bet they looked cool though :pac:

But seriously, people smoking around me is not a bother. It wasn't too long ago where the smoking ban didn't exist and we freely went into places with people smoking freely.

You'd think so, but it was brought in 13.5 years ago :D

At this stage, the smoking ban is an unruly teenager, about to try their first smoke! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Pelvis wrote:
    Like, seriously, are smokers just totally oblivious to just how disgusting the habit is? It doesn't occur to someone that perhaps the person they've decided to stand next to, who is having their lunch, doesn't want to breath in their second hand smoke?

Like, seriously, let me have my fag in peace;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You'd think so, but it was brought in 13.5 years ago :D

That's not too long ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I get people not liking smoking and not wanting to be disturbed by the smoke... but apart from that who cares if they smoke? It's their business.

I don't think most people do care if they smoke. But it's only their business if they smoke where they're not impacting on anyone else.

I was staying in a hotel recently where the tables outside the front door were clearly marked as 'No Smoking'. Everytime I walked past at least one moron was sitting there puffing away. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Hakuna your Tata's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

maxresdefault.jpg

travolta_balding.jpg

Smokers get all the women?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Smoking is rotten but I understand the power of nicotine addiction.

People smoking in public should be considerate to others around them and not blow or have their smoke hitting others and if that means not lighting up then so be it..but in reality I guess that's not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Allinall wrote: »
    Not nearly as big an asshat as people that start a sentence with "like".
    Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Omackeral wrote: »
    I dunno about any of that but anytime I see a 10 lighting up a smoke she instantly becomes a 2. It's the biggest turn off for me.

So how often do you pull a "10"?

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Feck sake, they are outside where they are allowed to smoke. Stop moaning about it and if you dont like it then go inside where they cant be anywhere near you.

There's lots of things you're 'allowed' to do out of doors; doesn't necessarily mean they're not inconsiderate, rude or selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I did, might relax you a bit. You seem highly strung with your aggression and name calling. Either that or heroin.

what is this sh!t? ???
    why wouldnt i be aggressive with some cross eyed drooling troll trying to make me aggressive suggesting im on heroin? anyway, this level of your so-called "aggression" isnt out of the norm for me, i'm quite an aggressive person. are you ashamed of your own aggression? it's human nature. stop being an idiot, or at least coming across as one.

i'll smoke YOU.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There's lots of things you're 'allowed' to do out of doors; doesn't necessarily mean they're not inconsiderate, rude or selfish.

Its not a big issue in fairness, people smoking outside is normal so if you dont want to be around it then go indoors where you know you wont be affected by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Its not a big issue in fairness, people smoking outside is normal so if you dont want to be around it then go indoors where you know you wont be affected by it.
    But then how do I get to work?

How can you go indoors if you're standing in a bus queue or waiting to use the ATM machine or somesuch.

Also, in the OPs case, there were plenty of tables away from where he was already sitting, so why couldn't the smokers use a bit of cop on and consideration instead of lighting up right beside him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

You do realise that not so very long ago, people smoked in pubs, restaurants, trains, planes, elevators, the cinema, hospitals etc. We have come a long way in fairness so a little 2nd hand smoke is no big deal.
    Bunch of wimps.

You do realise that not so very long ago, people smoked in pubs, restaurants, trains, planes, elevators, the cinema, hospitals etc. We have come a long way in fairness so a little 2nd hand smoke is no big deal.
    Bunch of wimps.

Mightn't be a big deal to you. But it is to us 'wimps'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Pelvis wrote: »
    But then how do I get to work?

How do you find the time to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I get people not liking smoking and not wanting to be disturbed by the smoke... but apart from that who cares if they smoke? It's their business.

No one as long as it's not blown in their face. People can kill themselves all they like asfar as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't impact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Obvious Otter

I dunno about any of that but anytime I see a 10 lighting up a smoke she instantly becomes a 2. It's the biggest turn off for me.

I'd say they're devasted about what you think of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

jaysus OP you obviously havent much to worry about.
    you sound like a SJW with that type of OTT reaction to a bit of smoke coming your way OUTDOORS.

sure some people dont like hearing the horrible sound of some yoke eating up a big mayonaissey sandwich in their faces either. why would anyone ever sit outside a LONDIS to eat lunch - it's hardly the type of place you can expect a "high caliber" of clientele now is it?

do you regularly go around looking for trouble, or just with smokers?

:rolleyes:

I don't think it's much to ask to not smell like s**t as a result of a smoker near you in a spaced area. At least my sambo is flinging all over the smoker is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

While you yourself remain a constant 10 of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Pelvis wrote: »
    So, sitting outside a londis having a late lunch, a large selection of tables available over a large area, when someone decides a meter away from me is the perfect place to smoke their cigarette.

Like, seriously, are smokers just totally oblivious to just how disgusting the habit is? It doesn't occur to someone that perhaps the person they've decided to stand next to, who is having their lunch, doesn't want to breath in their second hand smoke?

And of course, when they're done, the butt goes on the ground. Which bizarrely, seems be a mandatory act for smokers. Should be a minimum €1000 fine for this carry on for a start. Scum.

Rant over. :D

OP you do have a point, that person was incredibly inconsiderate of others, but there's no correlation between people who are assholes, and people who smoke. See below for an example of same -

It says "Smoking Kills" and has pictures of the medical horrors of smoking on the packaging. They can see the money draining from their bank account - how much will a pack go up in the in next budget? For decades there have been anti smoking adverts and we all know people have died of lung cancer or are wheezing their way to an early grave.

Anyone who smokes is a moron and they deserve their horrible death.

They have no excuse.

No pity or sympathy for anyone who smokes.

I don't need either an excuse, nor your pity nor sympathy. I have private health insurance, which also drains money from my bank account and will also be guaranteed to go up after the next budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

Bunch of wimps.

I don't want to breath in the smoke of a moron who has chosen a slow death

I don't want to breath in the smoke of a moron who has chosen a slow death

Oh to be able to choose and know how we're going to die. Lucky you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

People just throwing the butt on the ground and stamping it out, completely filthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Oh to be able to choose and know how we're going to die. Lucky you!

They're certainly willingly increasing the odds of an early slow painful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I have to agree about the lack of consideration from many smokers out in public. Particularly at bus stops when you're queued up and have no option but to stay put. Face full of smoke.

You will also get a face full of noxious smoke and fumes from every bus that pulls up..........in my experience!

They're certainly willingly increasing the odds of an early slow painful death.

Can't gainsay that, particularly when your post lacks the rancour, spite and acrimony of the one I responded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I smoke maybe one or two rollies a
    month.

Tonight I think ill have one .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I smoke maybe one or two rollies a
    month.

Tonight I think ill have one .

Me too, just to annoy people...might do it while cycling

Advertisement