Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are smokers genetically predisposed to being an asshat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭RagsOBrien

While you yourself remain a constant 10 of course.

I'm sure this poster is Brad Pitt himself, 6 ft 5 with chiselled abs- women should bow at his feet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Grayson wrote: »
    Up in arms? Don't be such a drama queen.

As for just a phrase. Tell any woman that she's a ten and you'll be letting them know exactly how shallow you are.

But if you need to justify it to make yourself feel better, go ahead. I'm going to step outside and have a cigarette.

Drama queen? You're the one typing paragraphs and accusing me of being a shallow person based off common enough turns of phrase even though I already explained what it meant. Ok how's this, if I see a hot girl lighting up, she goes from "hot" to "not" in my book. It turns me off. Is that all ok for you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

To answer OP, No, I don't think there is a direct correlation between smokers being more of an 'asshat' than non smokers, tbh you as a non smoker IMO come across as a bit of an 'asshat' to be even thinking that in the first place, just because you don't smoke does not make you a superior person to a smoker.

And all those posters saying smokers should die a slow painful death etc.... Yous sound like real stand up people and obv have no friends or family that smoke at all, otherwise that would be a pretty ****ty thing to wish on someone you know and love.

RagsOBrien wrote: »
    I'm sure this poster is Brad Pitt himself, 6 ft 5 with chiselled abs- women should bow at his feet :D

Must've missed when I actually said I'm not.
    It was just really a way to illustrate that smoking is a turn off for me. If I see a girl lighting up, it's turns me off and I don't find her as hot anymore. That's honestly all I was saying. You'd swear I was going up to women saying ''ya know, if you didn't smoke you could get with this 5 foot 7, middle of the road looking, slightly overweight hunk of beef.''.

Getting taken out of context majorly here for having a thing that turns me off. Apologies to everyone everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

To answer OP, No, I don't think there is a direct correlation between smokers being more of an 'asshat' than non smokers, tbh you as a non smoker IMO come across as a bit of an 'asshat' to be even thinking that in the first place, just because you don't smoke does not make you a superior person to a smoker.

And all those posters saying smokers should die a slow painful death etc.... Yous sound like real stand up people and obv have no friends or family that smoke at all, otherwise that would be a pretty ****ty thing to wish on someone you know and love.

I think one person said that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

eleventh wrote: »
    The point being made there was that some smokers are completely oblivious to the smell or effect on others. You may ignore or not notice it yourself when you're a smoker standing beside another smoker. But if you were standing near to someone, let's say with really bad BO, or someone reeking of perfume that you'd smell a few metres away, on a hot day, with no breeze, that might give you an idea of what it's like. It would be multiplied a few times though because smoke spreads a good bit farther than BO would.

I really think a lot of smokers have no idea of just how bad they smell. Some of them really stink.

And then there are the ones who pour half a bottle of perfume over themselves to try and cover the smell. So you're knocked over by the delightful combination of sickly sweet perfume and stale cigarette every time you stand near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Omackeral wrote: »
    Drama queen? You're the one typing paragraphs and accusing me of being a shallow person based off common enough turns of phrase even though I already explained what it meant. Ok how's this, if I see a hot girl lighting up, she goes from "hot" to "not" in my book. It turns me off. Is that all ok for you there?

That's better, well done you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I got a laugh at the image of the op shoving a big "mayonnaisey sandwich" into their gob hole.

To be fair I'd say this is most likely because that poster said something about a "10 becoming a 2", which is an incredibly moronic and immature thing to say. Maybe the poster is still in secondary school, which would make it more acceptable I suppose, but a grown man should expect to be called up on it when spouting such tripe.

At best, it is sexist and he of course comes across as a shallow and misogynist person, reducing a 'hot' woman's value by crudely marking her- the original post has nothing to do how attractive he perceives certain women, rather inconsiderate smokers. Can we stick to the topic please? Why doesn't he post about how attractive or not as sees it, women are, in a separate thread or forum.

Smoking in people's faces is rude definitely and should be done in designated smoking areas or in the privacy of people's homes or on private property. OP is justified in being disgruntled by that.

At best, it is sexist and he of course comes across as a shallow and misogynist person, reducing a 'hot' woman's value by crudely marking her- the original post has nothing to do how attractive he perceives certain women, rather inconsiderate smokers. Can we stick to the topic please? Why doesn't he post about how attractive or not as sees it, women are, in a separate thread or forum.

Smoking in people's faces is rude definitely and should be done in designated smoking areas or in the privacy of people's homes or on private property. OP is justified in being disgruntled by that.

If you saw an attractive woman doing something you considered disgusting, wouldn't her attraction be reduced in your eyes? By virtue of the disgusting act, she'd become less attractive to you. He just added numbers to pimp up his point. Stop being hysterical about it.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    If you saw an attractive woman doing something you considered disgusting, wouldn't her attraction be reduced in your eyes? By virtue of the disgusting act, she'd become less attractive to you. He just added numbers to pimp up his point. Stop being hysterical about it.

No because I have respect for women and men and don't rate them on 1-10 scales for attractiveness- that is juvenile, sexist and frankly, I am astonished you are defending this. He is being called out on making very inappropriate comments in the thread. Hardly being hysterical- it's calling out on sexist remarks which you think are ok seemingly.

No because I have respect for women and men and don't rate them on 1-10 scales for attractiveness- that is juvenile, sexist and frankly, I am astonished you are defending this. He is being called out on making very inappropriate comments in the thread. Hardly being hysterical- it's calling out on sexist remarks which you think are ok seemingly.

He already explained the number thing. If someone does something gross they become less attractive to us. Hardly breaking news.

He already explained the number thing. If someone does something gross they become less attractive to us. Hardly breaking news.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The concept of Outside isn't a monopoly held by smokers so cop on with your "Go Inside" arguments, it's fecking warm out and it's nice to be outside. Except when the usual smokers lights up upstream because they can't control themselves. I wouldn't care too much though, if they could stop throwing their fag ends in the street though. Oh no-one does it but nowadays the only rubbish in the street is fag butts and it's horrible. I can only guess that the nicotine has caused some sort of infantile regression where they think the rules don't apply to them. I'm all for massive fines.

Smokers have as much right to be outside smoking as we have to be outside eating sandwiches. It's a shared space. The one with the problem should move. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Omackeral wrote: »
    Getting taken out of context majorly here for having a thing that turns me off. Apologies to everyone everywhere.

lol. In general, take a look at any thread of more than 5 pages. Count how many times it gets dragged drastically off topic by a turn of phrase or a misinterpreted/badly articulated point or by general sniping. I can sometimes spend 10 minutes writing a post if the topic warrants it only to have someone find issue with some aspect of it and every time it happens, I put on my open mind hat and god dammit, thats not what I meant but I see how it came out that way.

I smoke a pipe and the only comments I get is that its unusual and that it smells nice.... but I can understand how someone want me to die slowly screaming..... I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I think one person said that.

Still one person too many ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Smokers have as much right to be outside smoking as we have to be outside eating sandwiches.

No one said they didn't.

Pelvis wrote: »
    No one said they didn't.

Am I having a stroke? I could have sworn you started this thread giving out about a disgusting smoker who dared to light up a ciggie in your space.

Am I having a stroke? I could have sworn you started this thread giving out about a disgusting smoker who dared to light up a ciggie in your space.
    You're not having a stroke, you're just lacking basic comprehension skills. I've no issues with people smoking outside, and have not questioned their right to do so. I do have an issue with someone who decides to smoke next to me, a non-smoker, when there is ample space in the vicinity to do so without impacting on other people.

Kinda like sitting next to someone on a empty bus, you're free to do it, but you'd be a moron.

• Advertisement

You're not having a stroke, you're just lacking basic comprehension skills. I've no issues with people smoking outside, and have not questioned their right to do so. I do have an issue with someone who decides to smoke next to me, a non-smoker, when there is ample space in the vicinity to do so without impacting on other people.

Kinda like sitting next to someone on a empty bus, you're free to do it, but you'd be a moron.

It's Londis, im sure there weren't many tables about. 1 metre away is perfectly acceptable smoking distance. Get over yourself.

It's Londis, im sure there weren't many tables about. 1 metre away is perfectly acceptable smoking distance. Get over yourself.
    There's about 7 tables, spanning about 40 feet. I was the only one sitting outside at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Smokers should try to smoke as far away from non smokers as they can - including when outside. I have a smoke now and again myself and don't take issue with this.

Can't stand that rating women out of 10 thing - I know not all guys who do it have a terrible attitude towards women and don't all mean to be so derogatory but it is the preserve of woman-hating psychos like Return Of Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'm a heavy smoker. I realise that makes me some kind of neo-nazi in some people's eyes but there's not much I can do about their opinion unfortunately. I NEVER drop my butts on the floor - I flick off the end and then carry the remains in my pockets until I find a bin - I even do this when I'm driving.

By nature, I'm very easy-going and non-confrontational. I'd go as far as to say I have a particular talent for mediating and can generally manage to mend bridges when the need arises.

However............ after reading all of this thread, I have now decided that all non-smokers should be locked into a big, windowless room, surrounded by a small, dedicated crowd of smokers and forced to inhale our second hand smoke.

And just for the hell of it, they should be arranged by levels of attractiveness, obviously on the 1-10 scale.

Am I an ass-hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Am I an ass-hat?
    Naw but you did elect to go hunting for bears in the nip covered in honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Smokers have as much right to be outside smoking as we have to be outside eating sandwiches. It's a shared space. The one with the problem should move. Simple.

Post of the Thread ........... that's it in a nutshell.

It's the militant non-smokers that are coming across as a5sholes on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

No one said they didn't.

Anna also said "It's a shared space. The one with the problem should move. Simple." and that's absolutely the correct attitude to have ........... if I was having a cigarette near enough to you to be disgusted by your open-mouth devouring of a sloppy sandwich I'd berate you and leave you in no doubt that you should choke to death on your disgusting lunch of choice as your are a vile human being move.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Some smokers are considerate, I know I am or try to be. I try not to spark up in public places too often, but if I'm relaxing in an area where smoking is aloud and you are bothered by it, then feel free to make a complaint to management. I have as much right as you do to be there and doing what is legal. Stay inside if it bothers you where smoking is prohibited.

I hate the smell of fumes from all the cars and traffic, but if I want to avoid it I don't go into the city..... and then complain!

This is literally the 4th time I've had to say this. Saying someone is a perfect 10 was a turn of bloody phrase. Is it that hard to grasp? It's a saying. If I see someone sparking up it instantly turns me off, so what?! I'm allowed have thoughts. Do I say anything to them? No. Does it affect anyone's day? No. In my own personal internal thoughts it brings someone from hot to not, that's all I meant and that's all that was implied. 10 to a 2 is a synonym, in this case, for hot to not. It's no simpler than that. I'm far from shallow, I'm far from sexist, I'm far from misogynistic. I find women smoking a turn off for me. Just for me. I don't verbalise it to anyone. It's none of my business. I am, however, allowed to have thoughts. If you can't comprehend any of that, then I honestly have no simpler way of explaining it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It says "Smoking Kills" and has pictures of the medical horrors of smoking on the packaging. They can see the money draining from their bank account - how much will a pack go up in the in next budget? For decades there have been anti smoking adverts and we all know people have died of lung cancer or are wheezing their way to an early grave.

Anyone who smokes is a moron and they deserve their horrible death.

They have no excuse.

No pity or sympathy for anyone who smokes.

As a once heavy smoker who hasn't smoked for decades I find your post disgusting. I'm sure smokers will manage fine without your sympathy. But a modicum of decency wouldn't go astray.

Advertisement