Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are smokers genetically predisposed to being an asshat?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I smoke maybe one or two rollies a
    month.

Tonight I think ill have one .

Me too. I have the occasional contemplative rollie, looking out over the fields or gazing into an outside fire. But getting a face full of someone elses breathed out fag smoke in public is pretty yuck, to be fair. Still, nothing compared to the days when the pretty stewardess would smile back at us in non-smoking, and draw across the tiny blue curtains over the head rests on the plane, so that we could be protected from the smoke and the smoking passengers could light up in peace. Well, except for when the No Smoking sign was on, then Heaven forbid! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Can't gainsay that, particularly when your post lacks the rancour, spite and acrimony of the one I responded to.

damit , I need to up my game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

So how often do you pull a "10"?

5 digits+5 digits =10, often enough I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Allinall wrote: »
    Not nearly as big an asshat as people that start a sentence with "like".

Like bhoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What is an SJW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,177 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Omackeral wrote: »
    I dunno about any of that but anytime I see a 10 lighting up a smoke she instantly becomes a 2. It's the biggest turn off for me.

Bet it's not as big a turnoff as when a guy ranks women out of ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Disgusting habit.
    Can't and won't share space with a smoker. Don't care how offended they may be. Though something tells me their hide is too thick to get a hint.

Outside tables seem to be for people who want to smoke and eat so I'd never sit outside. Ban all smoking I say🙂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Some smoke is unavoidable I suppose, although I don't like it and will move away if I can, it's a fact of city life.

What should be avoidable though is the footpaths being littered with butts. It's a real sign of an idiot, anyone who throws rubbish on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Allinall wrote: »
    Not nearly as big an asshat as people that start a sentence with "like".

What the fcuk is an asshat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I dunno about any of that but anytime I see a 10 lighting up a smoke she instantly becomes a 2. It's the biggest turn off for me.

I'm sure Miss 10 will get over you not wanting her anymore ............ :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

What is an SJW?

A Sarah Jessica ****. Looking at a horse whilst ****.

I could be wrong mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I think the shortest answer to your question is just plain "No."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Glad someone else thinks it. Really pïsses me off that smokers have no problem imposing the unpleasant effects of their activity on others.

Only because of convention is it still socially acceptable. I thought of doing a social experiment whereby I'd light a stick, or something that smokes, standing beside someone who had just finished their cigarette. Reckon they'd be pretty annoyed, even though I would view the two as equivalent.

Glad someone else thinks it. Really pïsses me off that smokers have no problem imposing the unpleasant effects of their activity on others.

Only because of convention is it still socially acceptable. I thought of doing a social experiment whereby I'd light a stick, or something that smokes, standing beside someone who had just finished their cigarette. Reckon they'd be pretty annoyed, even though I would view the two as equivalent.

If somebody stood next to me with a lit stick I wouldn't be annoyed ........ I'd be confused ........ and if it bothered me in any way I'd just go somewhere else .......... INSIDE, for example. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Pelvis wrote: »
    So, sitting outside a londis having a late lunch, a large selection of tables available over a large area, when someone decides a meter away from me is the perfect place to smoke their cigarette.

Like, seriously, are smokers just totally oblivious to just how disgusting the habit is? It doesn't occur to someone that perhaps the person they've decided to stand next to, who is having their lunch, doesn't want to breath in their second hand smoke?

And of course, when they're done, the butt goes on the ground. Which bizarrely, seems be a mandatory act for smokers. Should be a minimum €1000 fine for this carry on for a start. Scum.

Rant over. :D
    It says "Smoking Kills" and has pictures of the medical horrors of smoking on the packaging. They can see the money draining from their bank account - how much will a pack go up in the in next budget? For decades there have been anti smoking adverts and we all know people have died of lung cancer or are wheezing their way to an early grave.

Anyone who smokes is a moron and they deserve their horrible death.

They have no excuse.

No pity or sympathy for anyone who smokes.
    I don't want to breath in the smoke of a moron who has chosen a slow death
    Disgusting habit.
    Can't and won't share space with a smoker. Don't care how offended they may be. Though something tells me their hide is too thick to get a hint.

Outside tables seem to be for people who want to smoke and eat so I'd never sit outside. Ban all smoking I say🙂
    Glad someone else thinks it. Really pes me off that smokers have no problem imposing the unpleasant effects of their activity on others.

I'm a smoker.

I'm also a blood platelets donor, I donate every 4 weeks. God forbid you or your family ever need a transfusion, make sure you tell the hospital how much you hate smokers, tell them that you don't want a transfusion from a smoker, tell them how you hate the smell and that smokers are scum etc. :D

I bet you won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I bet you won't.

Why would I? You're making no sense Dougal.

Pelvis wrote: »
    So, sitting outside a londis having a late lunch, a large selection of tables available over a large area, when someone decides a meter away from me is the perfect place to smoke their cigarette.

Like, seriously, are smokers just totally oblivious to just how disgusting the habit is? It doesn't occur to someone that perhaps the person they've decided to stand next to, who is having their lunch, doesn't want to breath in their second hand smoke?

And of course, when they're done, the butt goes on the ground. Which bizarrely, seems be a mandatory act for smokers. Should be a minimum €1000 fine for this carry on for a start. Scum.

Rant over. :D

AssHat (North American Slang)

"An idiot, moron or stupid person ......... someone with their head up their own ass."

Ironic that you think all smokers are "asshats"! :D

Americans don't get irony though ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

I'd say it knocks about 2-3 points off at most. Whenever I see a girl whose kind of middling to begin with and is a smoker I just think, "you're not exactly selling yourself here love".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

So is asshat essentially an arsehole (for those of us that speak in normal, non-Americanised English)?

marcus001 wrote: »
    I'd say it knocks about 2-3 points off at most. Whenever I see a girl whose kind of middling to begin with and is a smoker I just think, "you're not exactly selling yourself here love".

I feel so sorry for all these stunning girls who are missing out on the likes of yourself! :D

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote: »
    So is asshat essentially an arsehole (for those of us that speak in normal, non-Americanised English)?

No ........ "asshat", in Irish, is an eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Otherwise your username would mean something slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

It says "Smoking Kills" and has pictures of the medical horrors of smoking on the packaging. They can see the money draining from their bank account - how much will a pack go up in the in next budget? For decades there have been anti smoking adverts and we all know people have died of lung cancer or are wheezing their way to an early grave.

Anyone who smokes is a moron and they deserve their horrible death.

They have no excuse.

No pity or sympathy for anyone who smokes.

As I sit here drawing on a nice Marlboro light....I can't help but wish,that you are a parent and your kids/grandkids end up smoking.

Just a thought.....

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for all these stunning girls who are missing out on the likes of yourself! :D

All the nonsmokers are missing out on me as well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I'm a smoker.

I'm also a blood platelets donor, I donate every 4 weeks. God forbid you or your family ever need a transfusion, make sure you tell the hospital how much you hate smokers, tell them that you don't want a transfusion from a smoker, tell them how you hate the smell and that smokers are scum etc. :D

I bet you won't.

What an appallingly bad argument.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    If somebody stood next to me with a lit stick I wouldn't be annoyed ........ I'd be confused ........ and if it bothered me in any way I'd just go somewhere else .......... INSIDE, for example. :)

First, I think it would bother you, as you meekly concede with the "and if it did..." addendum. And, because of that, I don't think you would happily move inside if you were to encounter it frequently, as non-smokers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Asshole is an American slang word ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,241 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus. Plenty of stupid arguments on here.

Someone was called a social justice warrior for telling a story about someone smoking in their vicinity......obviously people see the term sjw bandied about and don't know what it means and think it's cool or smart to use it in any situation.

Some fella says a stunning girl becomes unattractive, or less attractive, if they are smoking and people make snide remarks about him not being able to pull her.
    I don't think you need to be able to pull a certain girl to be able to say she's otherwise very physically attractive to you but something about her makes her less so

Jaysus. Plenty of stupid arguments on here.

Someone was called a social justice warrior for telling a story about someone smoking in their vicinity......obviously people see the term sjw bandied about and don't know what it means and think it's cool or smart to use it in any situation.

Some fella says a stunning girl becomes unattractive, or less attractive, if they are smoking and people make snide remarks about him not being able to pull her.
    I don't think you need to be able to pull a certain girl to be able to say she's otherwise very physically attractive to you but something about her makes her less so

I didn't think the remark was snide. At least I hope it wasn't. I took it as banter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Asshole is an American slang word ;)

But he didn't say 'asshole' he said 'arsehole'.....taking the level of debate up a couple of notches of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I have a cigarette when drinking, so I smoke weekly (and I buy my own! I leave them in my bag for the week - I just don't enjoy them without a few drinks first) and I do agree there is an acceptance of just dropping cigarette butts on the ground, but any other littering is a no-no. Also, don't blow smoke in people's faces or light up right next to a person who is not smoking. Not many people do it, to be fair, but it's obnoxious!

Companies should limit fag breaks too - going out for five minutes every hour is too much.

But no, not all smokers are "asshats".

Advertisement