Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS Terrorist Attack in Barcelona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

'Lone wolf' attacks.....
    The main stream media are wannkers.
    Lone wolf, when there is 2 or more is not lone wolf. The chances of 2 attacks in the same area on the same day by different people also suggest that this is far from lone wolf attacks.

Call it what it is, planned terrorism motivated by ISLAM.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

According to the Indo there are over 70 on the Jihadi sympathisers watchlist, it was only thought to be 30 or 40 before but the list has grown! These are scum who are communicating and providing logistical support with suspected terror activists in Europe.

If your on a watchlist and identified as being a sympathiser then there must be a zero tolerance approach and deportation or incarceration must follow. Its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I certainly don't see disrespect in any of it.

I see a culture,admittedly far more exhuberant than our own,doing what it does best.

I can remember witnessing a Funeral in Italy some years back,and being shocked at the attendees braaking into applause and whistles as the coffin left the Church,with the deceased's relatives being clasped and cheek-kissed by other mourners.

I was gobsmacked,as was my missus,but now many years later I see it as the expressive nature of the region being given full freedom,a freedom I have often since wished we had at our own Funeral proceedings.

Living a normal life,but using the knowledge of the levels to which Radical Islam will sink to impose it's dictats on Infidels,can only inspire a heightened degree of awareness and vigilance amongst us all...That,above all else,will serve to frustrate more of these attacks,certainly more that barricading our fearful,shaking selves in our houses will ever do.

You're talking about a completely different thing. You're talking about celebrating the person's life and being joyful at their 'send off', that's a personal thing by friends and family who attend. I'm talking about strangers partying on the ground where people were murdered the day before. They don't acknowledge the dead in any way unlike in your example. Other than a quick ''thank god that wasn't me'' of course.

Since when was there only two choices-pretend nobody was slaughtered and we're all oblivious with our drinkies and jesus-loves-me-smiles, or barricade yourself inside, shaking. That's a bit ridiculous. People need to make a stand, not turn the other cheek and pretend nothing is happening. And that won't suit ISIS one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You're talking about a completely different thing. You're talking about celebrating the person's life and being joyful at their 'send off', that's a personal thing by friends and family who attend. I'm talking about strangers partying on the ground where people were murdered the day before. They don't acknowledge the dead in any way unlike in your example. Other than a quick ''thank god that wasn't me'' of course.

Since when was there only two choices-pretend nobody was slaughtered and we're all oblivious with our drinkies and jesus-loves-me-smiles, or barricade yourself inside, shaking. That's a bit ridiculous. People need to make a stand, not turn the other cheek and pretend nothing is happening. And that won't suit ISIS one bit.

While I agree in theory and to a certain extent, it depends what you view as a stand. If it means riot in the streets, marching through neighbourhoods, castigating anyone who has the audacity to look or sound Muslim, and hound everyone for the crimes of the few, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well that's a charming taught to start the morning

Them lads what were killed (and rightly so) still have families and whatnot....let them bury their dead

Still chuckling to myself at this post and the oh so right-on person who thanked this apologist bunkum. Apologist behaviour. If my brother went out and mowed innocent people down as they shopped over a poxy religion, I'd disown him in a heartbeat and couldn't give a rats what they did with the carcass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Nabber wrote: »
    'Lone wolf' attacks.....
    The main stream media are wannkers.
    Lone wolf, when there is 2 or more is not lone wolf. The chances of 2 attacks in the same area on the same day by different people also suggest that this is far from lone wolf attacks.

Call it what it is, planned terrorism motivated by ISLAM.....

that's what they have called it and similar attacks caried out by multiple people. however if an attack is caried out by 1 person then that is a lone wolf attack, so you will have to except the terminology.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    If your on a watchlist and identified as being a sympathiser then there must be a zero tolerance approach and deportation or incarceration must follow. Its as simple as that.

can't be done unless there is enough evidence to put them on trial. once that happens then those options are open and have been caried out all ready.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

AlekSmart wrote: »

What would a "sensational" figure be...or more pertinently,what number would you accept as meh...that's grand ?

I don't know what a figure would be...I could make one up too though if you'd like?
    I just made the point that I would not trust the Indo on anything to do with this unless they are directly quoting someone. Notorious for inventing stuff and then attributing it to 'sources' unknown.

I think, by the way, that it is the only way to prevent these attacks. To resource the security forces properly.

No they don't deserve to be attacked by scumbags who follow a cruel version of their religion, but lets be real here. There was no Isis, in Saddam time. We played a big part in this and allowing groups like this to grow and spread.

Nah, I didn't. Neither have any of my family, friends, neighbours, acquaintances or colleagues. So less of the we business. Idiotic tripe.

timthumbni wrote: »
    The Spanish policeman and his mates today shot and killed 5 Islamic terrorists saving many, many innocent lives.

You trivialise this as if it's part of the normal 'bobby/Garda on the beat' part of a policemans normal day. This wasn't normal. I'm sure if they had saved your life as you and your family were nearby you would have the same attitude.

........ or maybe not.
    i would have the same attitude yes. a policeman's job is to protect the public.

You do know that it's ok to say ''Job well done'' and give a pat on the back? You know people get medals for bravery and courage for actions such as these? It's ok to show gratitude and appreciation to those who snuffed out these vile cowardly f*ckpigs. It's because they are heroes. My father worked as a firefighter for 30 years and saved umpteen lives. Yes they get paid... but they get paid an ordinary wage for an extraordinary job. They're to be admired in times of crisis and there's no issue from most decent people in expressing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

While I agree in theory and to a certain extent, it depends what you view as a stand. If it means riot in the streets, marching through neighbourhoods, castigating anyone who has the audacity to look or sound Muslim, and hound everyone for the crimes of the few, then no.

What is it with Boards and extreme assumptions?

I said for a start people need to acknowledge and admit that this is not ok, instead of giving out the message that we'll light a few tealights in solidarity just carry on.
    On another thread today a poster said that the Irish government are reluctant to install barriers on busy streets and they'd rather spend the money on ''integrating'' people. Nobody has all the answers but they need to be doing whatever is in their power to prevent more attacks, and they need to be doing it yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I don't know what a figure would be...I could make one up too though if you'd like?
    I just made the point that I would not trust the Indo on anything to do with this unless they are directly quoting someone. Notorious for inventing stuff and then attributing it to 'sources' unknown.

I think, by the way, that it is the only way to prevent these attacks. To resource the security forces properly.

I'd agree. The special branch have always done an excellent job, but need to be properly resourced and funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

McCrack wrote: »
    Your friend is doing the right thing.

Terrorists will not succed so long as people continue normal day to day life.

The moment that stops the ***** have won
    I find the "keep calm and carry on" attitude utterly baffling.
    Being angry or hateful seems to be almost frowned up.
    These are totally normal feelings and ones people should experience.
    And whether people admit it or not normal day to day life has changed.

It's almost like "we" are in an abusive relationship and don't want to talk or do anything about it, just keep taking the hits and cover up the bruises.
    We'd rather die in our hundreds, than risk offending one person by trying to come up with a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Normal day to day life hasn't changed, don't be so absurd.

For the majority of people, even after a disaster, life just carries on as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Really you think heavily armed troops paroling European cities is perfectly normal?
    What about cities in protracted states of emergency?
    What about cancelling major sporting events?
    What about telling the entire population of a city to stay indoors?
    Do you think air travel has changed since 911?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

For the majority of people, even after a disaster, life just carries on as normal.
    Normal everyday life continued along in Northern Ireland everyday life always continues on look at London in the Blitz, normal everyday life went on and people took pride in that.
    There is a massive difference though between continuing your life and the in fashion thing having some bland platitude about solidarity and ignoring how the world has changed.
    It gets rather obvious as well when one looks at the response the same people have in relation to one dead American or a police shooting over there- when that happens it's all about direct opposition, the perpetrators and all associated fellow travellers must be tackled, we need to re-examine our society,the world has changed etc.
    An order of magnitude more Europeans killed by Islamists, nearly every place of cultural significance having attempted attacks, what's the response-keep calm and carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The attack in Barca could actually have been much much worse, they discovered (by accident) x20 large canisters of Satan, according to the press.

Guessing they would have loaded them in the van if they were fully prepared, and set off when stopped, not sure what that translates to in old lbs or kgs, but would have been catastrophic in such a dense area. Thankfully they weren't able to utilise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Really you think heavily armed troops paroling European cities is perfectly normal?
    What about cities in protracted states of emergency?
    What about cancelling major sporting events?
    What about telling the entire population of a city to stay indoors?
    Do you think air travel has changed since 911?

Exactly! Islam eroding western freedoms since 2001! I will add to a list the extra security at airports and restrictions on flights! Extra security at concerts, sports events and any major large gathering of people.
    I think the Chief Rabbi of Barcalona is right when he advised European Jews to move to Israel as Europe is lost because of the threat of Radical Islam!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Fighting a 'war' against an occupying force.

Campaign was carried out exclusively on the British Isles.

Catholicism wasn't as a driving factor, they were not trying to spread a religious agenda across the globe.

One did not even have to be a Catholic or religious to be involved.

Context. For the 3rd time. I'm not equating ISIS to IRA. But the reaction of the government to all Muslims/Irish. Namely internment. Mass deportations etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

The attack in Barca could actually have been much much worse, they discovered (by accident) x20 large canisters of Satan, according to the press.

Guessing they would have loaded them in the van if they were fully prepared, and set off when stopped, not sure what that translates to in old lbs or kgs, but would have been catastrophic in such a dense area. Thankfully they weren't able to utilise.

Very lucky alright. Could have been talking about hundreds of dead instead of 14. One wonders how many more of these cells are operating within European borders though? The thing that's most frightening about these attacks is the fact these savages aren't battle hardened Muslims from Syria, Iraq etc.. but mostly European born and bred and just hate us because their religion tells them to.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before they take the battle to us here in Ireland. One can just hope their bomb making abilities are akin to the backward mongrel that died in the house explosion on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Very lucky alright. Could have been talking about hundreds of dead instead of 14. One wonders how many more of these cells are operating within European borders though? The thing that's most frightening about these attacks is the fact these savages aren't battle hardened Muslims from Syria, Iraq etc.. but mostly European born and bred and just hate us because their religion tells them to.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before they take the battle to us here in Ireland. One can just hope their bomb making abilities are akin to the backward mongrel that died in the house explosion on Wednesday

I reckon the guys coming home from Syria and Iraq are deemed too important to be directly active in the attacks. Most of these guys are now bomb makers and cell connectors for arms.

It also keeps the borders open when we get "homegrown" terrorists, who have never been to Iraq/Syria/Libya

• Advertisement

Exactly! Islam eroding western freedoms since 2001! I will add to a list the extra security at airports and restrictions on flights! Extra security at concerts, sports events and any major large gathering of people.
    I think the Chief Rabbi of Barcalona is right when he advised European Jews to move to Israel as Europe is lost because of the threat of Radical Islam!

well most european jews won't be taking that advice. they won't give up a democratic safe society for a state that may only treat them decently if they are of the right type of jew. it is vital they remain in europe as part of our cultural enrichment program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Very lucky alright. Could have been talking about hundreds of dead instead of 14.

Surely hundreds, one of the Spanish papers says they intended to explode one van load of Satan in Las Ramblas, a second by the world-famous Sagrada Familia cathedral, and the last in the port area of the city.

Demolishing important European religious buildings would have been a new low.

The NYT reported they actually tried to hire much larger lorries but didn't have the right permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

well most european jews won't be taking that advice. they won't give up a democratic safe society for a state that may only treat them decently if they are of the right type of jew. it is vital they remain in europe as part of our cultural enrichment program.

Jesus your like that lad who used to be Saddams ministry of information Baghdad Bob with your constant Denials of everything! I think I believe the Rabbi in what he says over you! Have you not forgot that thanks to your beloved Muslim terrorists there are armed police guarding Jewish schools in France and other parts of Europe! I know if I was Jewish I'd be heading to Israel for th safety of my children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Jesus your like that lad who used to be Saddams ministry of information Baghdad Bob with your constant Denials of everything!
    I believe the Rabbi in what he says over you!
    thanks to your beloved Muslim terrorists...
    I know if I was Jewish I'd be heading to Israel for th safety of my children!

:D Ah would you ever listen to yourself. Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Jesus your like that lad who used to be Saddams ministry of information Baghdad Bob with your constant Denials of everything!
    I believe the Rabbi in what he says over you!

thanks to your beloved Muslim terrorists...

:D Ah would you ever listen to yourself. Priceless.

You don't exactly have a track record of being correct in this thread yourself.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You don't exactly have a track record of being correct in this thread yourself.

Where was I incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

What is it with Boards and extreme assumptions?

I said for a start people need to acknowledge and admit that this is not ok, instead of giving out the message that we'll light a few tealights in solidarity just carry on.
    On another thread today a poster said that the Irish government are reluctant to install barriers on busy streets and they'd rather spend the money on ''integrating'' people. Nobody has all the answers but they need to be doing whatever is in their power to prevent more attacks, and they need to be doing it yesterday.
    Not having a go at you Widdershins, but I can't but point out that on every thread involving Muslim terrorists or travellers, more than half the thread is bogged down by those who still respond to End of the Roads inane, moronic, disingenuous, contrary, and grammatical ludicrous contributions, if people were to stop responding to this fifty-year-old basement dwellers posts we adults could actually discuss the topic at hand in an intelligent manner.

Jesus your like that lad who used to be Saddams ministry of information Baghdad Bob with your constant Denials of everything! I think I believe the Rabbi in what he says over you! Have you not forgot that thanks to your beloved Muslim terrorists there are armed police guarding Jewish schools in France and other parts of Europe!

my beloved Muslim terrorists? i didn't know i liked muslim terrorists but there you go, you learn something new everyday.

israel is not a very safe country unlike europe and is a huge funder and commiter of terrorism itself. most jews do not condone and support that country, just like most muslims hate saudi arabia among others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Jesus your like that lad who used to be Saddams ministry of information Baghdad Bob with your constant Denials of everything! I think I believe the Rabbi in what he says over you! Have you not forgot that thanks to your beloved Muslim terrorists there are armed police guarding Jewish schools in France and other parts of Europe! I know if I was Jewish I'd be heading to Israel for th safety of my children!
    Sinn fein lad, Sinn fein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Jesus your like that lad who used to be Saddams ministry of information Baghdad Bob with your constant Denials of everything! I think I believe the Rabbi in what he says over you! Have you not forgot that thanks to your beloved Muslim terrorists there are armed police guarding Jewish schools in France and other parts of Europe!

my beloved Muslim terrorists? i didn't know i liked muslim terrorists but there you go, you learn something new everyday.

israel is not a very safe country unlike europe and is a huge funder and commiter of terrorism itself. most jews do not condone and support that country, just like most muslims hate saudi arabia among others.

Do you have any evidence for saying that most Jews don't support the state of Israel?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement