Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS Terrorist Attack in Barcelona

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Looks they might have killed the scumbag on the run
    Man wearing an explosive belt shot down west of Barcelona

http://dailym.ai/2x6s9uX

Barcelona attack: 'Man shot' in hunt for suspect
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41004603

Hurrah! for humankind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    It now seems the car actually rammed into two bus stops this morning in Marsellie. I wonder if it's possible this could be linked to the Barcelona attack, could it be the same guy?
    Marseille crash is not terror related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

wakka12 wrote: »
    Marseille crash is not terror related

The got me thinking remember the 2004 Wellington Quay bus crash. If that had happened today people would be thinking it was terror related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The catch 22 of Europe 'don't try and stop these terrorists or we will make more terrorists'

All the more reason I wouldn't want to see Ireland make the same mistakes as our neighbours.

Strawman argument.

Nobody said the idea of stopping a terrorist should be avoided. Punishing an entire religion, on the other hand, should, it's a knee jerk reaction and it's a highly unintelligent strategy.
    magnolia1 wrote: »
    part and parcelona of living in big city

People died horrifically, your post is idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Scum of the earth. These lads proclaiming to be Muslim but in the same breath are high on drink and drugs when committing these crimes. Pity they couldnt take him alive.

They get absolved of sin after Martyrdom before getting their 40 virgins. The 9-11 terrorists were drinking in strip clubs a few nights before the attacks.

It is mental how brainwashed they are. They genuinely, wholeheartedly believe this with not a hint of doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

Strawman argument.

Nobody said the idea of stopping a terrorist should be avoided. Punishing an entire religion, on the other hand, should, it's a knee jerk reaction and it's a highly unintelligent strategy.

People died horrifically, your post is idiotic.

part and parcelona is obvously a reference to your co-religionist telling londoners to get used to white van ssmashing down kids, as the good people of barcelona have to learn, its bart and barcel,

but ya, you get mad at the people playing wordgames, not at your brothers driving the vans

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mezzz wrote: »
    part and parcelona is obvously a reference to your co-religionist telling londoners to get used to white van ssmashing down kids, as the good people of barcelona have to learn, its bart and barcel,

except his non-co-religionist didn't tell anyone anything of the sort.
    mezzz wrote: »
    but ya, you get mad at the people playing wordgames, not at your brothers driving the vans

they aren't his brothers.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

RasTa wrote: »
    Crazy how young they all are

Not really, they all have been manipulated and lied to, I never thought I'd say this but looking at the stories about him as a younger kid and seeing photos of him, he looked like a nice lad.

It's a shame how religion and fanaticism can posion the mind - on all sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not really, they all have been manipulated and lied to, I never thought I'd say this but looking at the stories about him as a younger kid and seeing photos of him, he looked like a nice lad.

?

seachto7 wrote: »
    ?

The radical imams got these lads as they were young and vulnerable, convinced them of an eternity in heaven with 72 virgins nonsense - all lies to get them to do dirty work - and don't get captured alive.

****ers.

This is why all schools need to be secular, if kids are educated in Science and reason from a young age they won't fall for this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I find it odd that Radicalisation only seems to occur to people from lesser " Advanced Societies ",
    How come we don't see Danes or Swiss, or German, or Welsh people from old, long native bloodlines becoming Radicalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I find it odd that Radicalisation only seems to occur to people from lesser " Advanced Societies ",
    How come we don't see Danes or Swiss, or German, or Welsh people from old, long native bloodlines becoming Radicalised?

What about Norwegians? Or Americans?

Interesting,

I hadn't thought about the Norwegians, How many of them have converted to a religion that teaches them to " Kill the Infidel "? And then actually acted it out?

Americans cannot really be counted in my earlier statement, as they are the biggest ethnically mixed nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well, the Germans did have a history of becoming radicalised in the very near past.

Well, the Germans did have a history of becoming radicalised in the very near past.

Soceo-Political upheaval as was happening in 1930s Germany is a completely different event to the teachings of a religion that has been attempting to dispose of everyone else for the last 1450 years.

Don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's a shame how religion and fanaticism can posion the mind - on all sides.

A nice lad who was somehow completely turned around from nice lad and convinced to drive over women and children.

F*ck him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The radical imams got these lads as they were young and vulnerable, convinced them of an eternity in heaven with 72 virgins nonsense - all lies to get them to do dirty work - and don't get captured alive.

****ers.

This is why all schools need to be secular, if kids are educated in Science and reason from a young age they won't fall for this crap.

Were they vulnerable though? Don't some of the news articles quote people who played football with them etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

seachto7 wrote: »
    Were they vulnerable though? Don't some of the news articles quote people who played football with them etc?

I don't agree that they are vulnerable there may be some cases where that might be true.
    Social psychologists Stephen D. Reicher and S. Alexander Haslam make the case that most terrorists are not psychopaths or sadists, much as we would like to believe. Instead the majority are ordinary people, shaped by group dynamics to do harm in the name of a cause they find noble and just.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/special-report-the-psychology-of-terrorism/

Some of the research is quite interesting.

Good education I would say.
    I see the comment about Norway, presumably meaning Anders Brevik - very exceptional case and he wasn't motivated by religion.

The USA ? again, education :)

Terrible public school system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Good education I would say.
    I see the comment about Norway, presumably meaning Anders Brevik - very exceptional case and he wasn't motivated by religion.

The USA ? again, education :)

Terrible public school system.

There is actually very little evidence to prove that being disadvantaged in some way plays a part in the radicalisation of an individual. It seems to be more along the lines of self assumed injustices and collective identity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Radicalisation comes from discontents, stresses and unresolved issues within societies. Europe has been relatively peaceful since 1945 because the institutions put in place by consensus were able to deal with problems like nationalism, separatism, extreme rightism and leftism. Places like the Middle East have never been able to build a set of institutions that reflect shared values.
    But even advanced societies like, say, Norway, can never be totally immune to the old legacies of hatred, as Anders Breivik showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

****ers.

Now would be a good time for the English government to withdraw all funding from Islamic schools in England. Children shouldn't be allowed to be indoctrinated, segregated by gender and an imposed religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

There should also be an investigation into the funding of the Clonskeagh mosque. The content of the preaching and the provenance of the invited preachers should be thoroughly investigated. Established Muslim Brotherhood connections should be mapped out.
    I know daddy Halawa is a massive figure in that organisation. Everybody knows it is basically a MB supporting mosque.

All this would happen in a rational society with a rational leadership. Not a chance in Ireland.
    What happens is that our grandstanding new Taoiseach goes there for yet another photo op right after the Dublin gay pride parade.
    I mean, that is so messed up on so many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Aristotle145

Norway have the same problem with naive lefties as every other european state.
    When the truth really comes out,the lefties really goes ballistic.
    But they have atleast someone who dares to oppose them.
    http://norwaytoday.info/news/listhaug-pointed-finger-main-speaker/

And the results speak for itself,allthough the left dont agree.
    https://www.thelocal.no/20170516/number-of-asylum-centres-in-norway-drops-sharply
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/asylum-seekers-arriving-in-norway-decrease-2016-7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Soceo-Political upheaval as was happening in 1930s Germany is a completely different event to the teachings of a religion that has been attempting to dispose of everyone else for the last 1450 years.

Don't you think?
    What Muslim country are you speaking of? I dont recall any in recent times that has been trying to dispose of everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Now would be a good time for the English government to withdraw all funding from Islamic schools in England. Children shouldn't be allowed to be indoctrinated, segregated by gender and an imposed religion.

Religion should not be taught in any educational institutions. All religions cause more harm than good. I think in 100 years time, people will be flabbergasted at how religious people were and what they did in the name of religion. Its time to move on, organised religions are designed to control people but are a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Religion should not be taught in any educational institutions. All religions cause more harm than good. I think in 100 years time, people will be flabbergasted at how religious people were and what they did in the name of religion. Its time to move on, organised religions are designed to control people but are a complete waste of time.

I agree generally but it's England, the CofE schools are pretty mild as it goes. It's barely a religion at all now. It's also their 'native' religion so it makes some sense that they're *still* funding it since it was always that way, and I'd agree with them gradually withdrawing funding in favour of secular schools. I don't know what they were thinking when they began funding Islamic schools in the first place not so long ago, when it should be a move away from religious schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Agree 100% but Islam is a couple of hundred years behind the rest of us in terms of enlightenment. It's going to take more than a hundred years for them to catch up but on a positive note the catholic church will be only a footnote in history by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If things keep going on the graph its currently going in 100 years time wont be a place for certain minorities and women.

That's the problem.

Of course things like climate change, wars could change things but thats another matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

quintana76 wrote: »
    There should also be an investigation into the funding of the Clonskeagh mosque. The content of the preaching and the provenance of the invited preachers should be thoroughly investigated. Established Muslim Brotherhood connections should be mapped out.
    I know daddy Halawa is a massive figure in that organisation. Everybody knows it is basically a MB supporting mosque.

All this would happen in a rational society with a rational leadership. Not a chance in Ireland.
    What happens is that our grandstanding new Taoiseach goes there for yet another photo op right after the Dublin gay pride parade.
    I mean, that is so messed up on so many levels.

I await End of the Road's standard reply of "No there shouldn't"
    In all seriousness have a read of Mark Humpries article on it and some of the "interesting" individuals who have been invited to speak there
    http://markhumphrys.com/clonskeagh.html

Advertisement