Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate Flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yesterday37

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Does this mean the Dukes of Hazzard will never be shown on tv again :(

I remember reading the cable network channel in America took it off the air after the shooting at the black church a few years ago.

I also read that the millionaire or billionaire I can't remember who owns the original General Lee painted over the flag in the wake of the Confederate Flag controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

nlrkjos wrote: »
    My son fly's the confederate flag at matches because its just another bit of colour in a sea of colour, if fact he's getting a bigger one now since all this "ban the flag" stuff cropped up. What beats the crap out of me is that two tools from Limerick who wear shopping bags over their heads started off a lot of this round of bull. It's a flag flown at Cork matches for years, nobody gives any credence to the racist connotations, its just some colour....and we always bring a bit of colour to games.

Here's another lovely flag for sale that he can add to collection of red flags.

http://www.warstore.co.uk/german-ww2-regular-nazi---5-x-3-flag-1493-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The majority of the statues and flags in question were put up well after the Civil War as a giant middle finger to the DC that not only ultimately ended slavery but then wanted to see civil rights advanced. Something many southerners were against.

It's not about erasing history... these things are fine in museums and history books (where they belong) and nobody is trying to erase that. The problem is they are monuments to icons of the era of slavery no matter how much anyone wants to argue otherwise. And there's no place for that in the 21st century. Certainly not on government grounds as monuments or at sports games as opposed to inside museums.

Yes, some people don't see it that way... only because they've been blinded to the truth by cutesy terms like "Southern Pride" and "our culture" and the like, much like the dinosaurs up north. And some want to hide behind those type phrases. And then there are those that claim it's about "rights", thoroughly ignoring the fact that the main right the Confederate states were worried about was maintaining their right to keep slaves.

People need to face facts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The low end of the estimate of confederate monuments. It ranges anywhere up to 1,500.

I'm using it to show how the 'look there's one Cromwell statue somewhere and it doesn't annoy me' is a stupid comparison to attempt to make

What exactly constitutes a Confederate monument an why must there be the exact same number of statues of one individual in another country for a legitimate comparison to be made? It seems like you're doing everything to ignore a point apart from actually addressing it.

There are statues of all kinds of horrible people erected throughout the world, as well as statues of people who polarise popular opinion. What is the criteria for removing a particular statue or erecting it in the first place?

Napoleon, Rudyard Kipling, George Washington... should they not be first in line for demolition?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What next will country music be disparaged due to it being an overwhelmingly white genre, although it might not be such a bad idea if it means wagon wheel is banned.

Well the best-known dark-skinned lad on the scene today is Darius Rucker, who has played Ireland and penned a whole pile of decent numbers if you care to dig into it, but is best known for ... yeah, you guessed it. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

FatherTed wrote: »
    Here's another lovely flag for sale that he can add to collection of red flags.

http://www.warstore.co.uk/german-ww2-regular-nazi---5-x-3-flag-1493-p.asp

Weren't known as the rebels.

Weren't chiefly from the south of the country.

You are still not getting it. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

nlrkjos wrote: »
    My son fly's the confederate flag at matches because its just another bit of colour in a sea of colour, if fact he's getting a bigger one now since all this "ban the flag" stuff cropped up. What beats the crap out of me is that two tools from Limerick who wear shopping bags over their heads started off a lot of this round of bull. It's a flag flown at Cork matches for years, nobody gives any credence to the racist connotations, its just some colour....and we always bring a bit of colour to games.

It's just some colour - so why not fly the swastika? That's red too, and you can overlook the racist connotations because there is another meaning to it. To be honest, if you're willing to fly a confederate flag but not a swastika then you're just a coward, a hypocrite and a closet racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The majority of the statues and flags in question were put up well after the Civil War as a giant middle finger to the DC that not only ultimately ended slavery but then wanted to see civil rights advanced. Something many southerners were against.

It's not about erasing history... these things are fine in museums and history books (where they belong) and nobody is trying to erase that. The problem is they are monuments to icons of the era of slavery no matter how much anyone wants to argue otherwise. And there's no place for that in the 21st century. Certainly not on government grounds as monuments or at sports games as opposed to inside museums.

Yes, some people don't see it that way... only because they've been blinded to the truth by cutesy terms like "Southern Pride" and "our culture" and the like, much like the dinosaurs up north. And some want to hide behind those type phrases. And then there are those that claim it's about "rights", thoroughly ignoring the fact that the main right the Confederate states were worried about was maintaining their right to keep slaves.

People need to face facts.

watching Jim Jeffries the other night. He pointed out that everyone in Germany knows who Hitler was, and there's not a single statue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

If they want to get rid of the confederate flag and all statues in honour of confederate leaders I assume that they will be getting rid of any statues or anything named in honour of many of the men who signed the declaration of independence seeing as a very high percentage of them owned slaves.

Washington State and Washington DC for example will surely have to be renamed very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

If they want to get rid of the confederate flag and all statues in honour of confederate leaders I assume that they will be getting rid of any statues or anything named in honour of the many men who signed the declaration of independence seeing as a very high percentage of them owned slaves.

Washington State and Washington DC for example will surely have to be renamed very soon.

They will pretty much have to destroy any statue of anyone who lived before the middle of the 20th century, as there would have been no PC attitudes before then. Once they've finished with the statues, they can start the book burnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

What is this nonsense about washington owning slaves?

Black people in the south only achieved equal rights in the late 1960's

They were segregated before that.

The flag and the statuary were used as symbols of that bigotry and oppression.

Since the 1960's people have been trying to rid the south of those symbols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

BadTurtle wrote: »
    It's just some colour - so why not fly the swastika? That's red too, and you can overlook the racist connotations because there is another meaning to it. To be honest, if you're willing to fly a confederate flag but not a swastika then you're just a coward, a hypocrite and a closet racist.

Used to be a swastika in Dublun up until the 80s if I recall correctly. Would pass it many a time when on my way to Landsdowne Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭tigger123

Donal55 wrote: »
    Used to be a swastika in Dublun up until the 80s if I recall correctly. Would pass it many a time when on my way to Landsdowne Road.

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What is this nonsense about washington owning slaves?

Black people in the south only achieved equal rights in the late 1960's

They were segregated before that.

The flag and the statuary were used as symbols of that bigotry and oppression.

Since the 1960's people have been trying to rid the south of those symbols.

Then if they want to get rid of symbols endorsing slavery they should want to have Washington DC renamed,Washington State etc.

Why is one symbold of opression of black people be acceptable but apparently anotherr one isn't.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Where?

The Swastika Laundry on Shelbourne Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Where?

The Swastika Laundry

swastika-laundry-in-ballsbridge_orig.jpg

I remember seeing the chimney back in the 70s and 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Where?
    Yep. Was part of the auld Swastika Laundry. Painted on its chimney it was.

Probably just as well its gone. The liberals or snowflakes would be calling for its demolition if it was still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Probably just as well its gone. The liberals or snowflakes would be calling for its demolition if it was still there.

Believe it or not, the chimney is still there! The swastika is gone though (in case a boards mob is gearing up to burn it down).

Ya can't even paint swastikas on your massive laundry chimney stacks. It's PC gone mad.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »

Imagine the hoards of stone-throwing antifa that van would have trailing around after it nowadays. There wouldn't be a cobblestone left in Dublin.

K.Flyer wrote: »

A very interesting colour palette for the van there.

Ya can't even paint swastikas on your massive laundry chimney stacks. It's PC gone mad.

The swastika on the chimney long preceded the nazi use of the symbol (not that that would stop the pc warriors).

Gravelly wrote: »
    The swastika on the chimney long preceded the nazi use of the symbol (not that that would stop the pc warriors).

I know.

Corrected: Sorry, I thought you meant the swastika symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I only arrived in Ireland 10 years and I was quite surprised/shocked to see the Confederate flag being waved at GAA. I asked some of my Irish mates about it and they said it was a Cork thing. I was surprised by the ignorance around the flag and its history.

I felt the same about the Rising Sun flags some fans waved as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

The Confederacy was a traitorous system, and its flag should not be celebrated at all.

I think we Irish should whine to the Americans about the use of bigoted imagery on Lucky Charms breakfast cereal - do they not know that leprechauns enslaved the Irish for 7,579 years before the English came to our rescue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I only arrived in Ireland 10 years and I was quite surprised/shocked to see the Confederate flag being waved at GAA. I asked some of my Irish mates about it and they said it was a Cork thing. I was surprised by the ignorance around the flag and its history.

I felt the same about the Rising Sun flags some fans waved as well.

Do you feel the same about Soviet flags?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Do you feel the same about Soviet flags?

Yes. An ex got me one of those Che tshirts years ago. Never wore it. Used it as a cleaning rag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Gravelly wrote: »

Swastika laundry predated WWII, and they stopped using the swastika when it became a symbol of the Nazi party, showing a consideration and awareness not shared by some people on this thread.

Advertisement