Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 Episode 5 "Eastwatch" - "Book readers"

Options
  • 11-08-2017 10:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate Season 7 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

In addition anyone picking up 3 yellow cards will be banned from the forum for the current season; in case of serious enough transgressions the ban may come earlier than 3 cards.

Thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Here we go!

No. No no no no no. He was sinking to the depths. ****ing explain it properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Surprised Dickon is gone so quickly, thought he was recast for a bigger role.

I thought they were going to get eaten for a second, which would have been terrifying.

I really hope Gendry's angle here is an invention of Benioff and Weiss rather than GRRM. Clumsy, cheesy and forced.

• Advertisement

Aaaaannnnd there it is. Annulment and remarriage. Go on Bran, go take a proper look in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

I genuinely thought Sam was going to stop mid-rant and ask Gilly to repeat what she'd just said when she mentioned Rhaegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Davos to Gendry "I thought you might still be rowing"
    Didn't we all Davos. Didn't we all.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Davos to Gendry "I thought you might still be rowing"
    Didn't we all Davos. Didn't we all.

I actually laughed out loud at that line thinking of boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What a great entourage of characters Jon has with him beyond the wall...

• Advertisement

What a great entourage of characters Jon has with him beyond the wall...

S02E11-DYH5tsje-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ya now what, never thought I'd say this but **** Ayra in this episode. She pissed me right off- what did she expect Sansa to do?!
    Also I'm guessing this is the letter she "found"- (LF the shnake)

I genuinely thought Sam was going to stop mid-rant and ask Gilly to repeat what she'd just said when she mentioned Rhaegar.

Infairness, why would he care if Rheagars marriage got annulled? Like we (the viewer) wanted to know more but to Sam it means nothing

The Gendry stuff was tad cheesy at times but fook it, still enjoyed it.

Poor Dickon, wish he just knelt- also Varys doesn't seem all too impressed with with Dany

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Was just thinking what name you could give Jon Snow's crew matching beyond the wall. I was thinking something like The Magnificent B*stards which is a play on the Magnificent Seven.

Now I realize they're not all all b*stards but.... Jon Snow and Gendry speak for themselves. Jorah was exiled, and he dishonored his family. Tormund is a Wildling, and the Brotherhood Without Banners are just rebels now with no real family ties anymore. The Hound doesn't care about his family, and Beric doesn't seem to either. Anyway Magnificent B*stards seems right to me.

wp_rathead wrote: »

Infairness, why would he care if Rheagars marriage got annulled? Like we (the viewer) wanted to know more but to Sam it means nothing

Because he's a scholarly man and would understand the significance of the event, and the fact that the wars and reigns that had shaped the realm for 20 odd years arose from a misunderstanding of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

It was a dumb episode in many ways, it's a dumb plan. There are so many easier, more obvious ways to get a wight than risking the lives of all my favourite characters give or take.
    And even contemplating trusting Cersei? Tyrion has been so disappointing as hand.

I still loved it though, just for all the character interactions. Jon and Drogon, Gendry, BWB, Jorah.

Davos continues to be great.

Tyrion - Last time i was here i killed my father with a crossbow.

Davos - Last time i was here you killed my son with wild-fire.

It's all happening too fast really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Its been mentioned already about the speed but going to and back from kingslanding in one episode is a load of balls - it'd have taken 3 episodes at least u to season 5.

I also hate the sight of too many good characters going beyond they wall - they aint all coming back thats for sure!!!

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Was just thinking what name you could give Jon Snow's crew matching beyond the wall. I was thinking something like The Magnificent B*stards which is a play on the Magnificent Seven.

Now I realize they're not all all b*stards but.... Jon Snow and Gendry speak for themselves. Jorah was exiled, and he dishonored his family. Tormund is a Wildling, and the Brotherhood Without Banners are just rebels now with no real family ties anymore. The Hound doesn't care about his family, and Beric doesn't seem to either. Anyway Magnificent B*stards seems right to me.

The Inglorious and the Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Good episode, set up a lot for next week. What did the scroll that Ayra read say?

Kunkka wrote: »
    Good episode, set up a lot for next week. What did the scroll that Ayra read say?

It was the one Cersei made Sansa write in season 1, begging Robb to bend the knee to Joffrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

wp_rathead wrote: »

Agreed and I think this means that really the line of succession stuff (Jon being the true King, etc) is largely meaningless. Jon being half Stark/Targ is important though.

Other notes

Why didn't Dany/Tyrion point out that Dany was born in Westeros? That Randyll served her father? Odd omission.

Dany didn't raise an eyebrow when Tyrion mentioned Jaime. Did Tyrion not tell Dany it was Jaime that was trying to kill her?

Tyrion breaking down and saying he didn't want to be born that way was heartbreaking. In a season of action and fast moving plot, this was a nice scene and very old school.

Nice to see Christian Bale appear! Loved the Gendry/Jon/Robert/Nedd similarities.

Ghost gets mentioned! Kinda like that he's just chilling out in Winterfell instead of dying next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I wonder what bearing Cersei's pregnancy will carry, given she can't be much more than 2-3 months along. Will the chronological storyline cover another 6-8 months?

I thought it was a good episode all in, set up a good bit of stuff.

The final few defiant Lannisters bending the knee when the Tarleys went down was a good moment imo, Dany isn't the ruler she wants to be, yet anyways.

Is Jon the first person aside from Dany to touch Drogon? That's definitely going to be referred back to when the truth about Jon's lineage comes out.

Is Jon the first person aside from Dany to touch Drogon? That's definitely going to be referred back to when the truth about Jon's lineage comes out.

Fairly sure one of Dany's handmaidens picked Drogon up before? I do think Dany saw more to it than that with Jon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sam missing the annulment mention especially seeing as it happened in Dorne perhaps an ode to the Dornish master plan, plot thickens too Gendry and Jon sharing tales of their fathers wonder will it be so amicable when the story turns to the battle of the Trident. Bronn is an absolute beast, Davos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One question I have is whete does Sam go next, no one has told him of his father and brother being burnt alive, odds are he didn't take the bowel movement diary so he won't have the written record obviously Bran was there in spirit at Jon's birth but Sam had proof the birth was legitimate so Jon as grandson of Aerys supercedes Dany as he would be next in line as a son of the Prince next in line. All depends if George RR follows right of ascendsion rules or has made up his own.

Daith wrote: »
    Why didn't Dany/Tyrion point out that Dany was born in Westeros? That Randyll served her father? Odd omission.

I was waiting for that too but two thoughts maybe. Potentially arguable that Westeros refers only to the mainland continent. Secondly, she was off to Pentos as soon as she was born.

I was waiting for that too but two thoughts maybe. Potentially arguable that Westeros refers only to the mainland continent. Secondly, she was off to Pentos as soon as she was born.

I think it would just have screwed the whole "foreign invader" aspect they were going for. Randyll probably got bored of bending the knee again. He's the anti-Jon Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

ardinn wrote: »
    Its been mentioned already about the speed but going to and back from kingslanding in one episode is a load of balls - it'd have taken 3 episodes at least u to season 5.
    It took one episode for Ned to get from Winterfell to Kings Landing in season one. Maybe you just didn't realise it was so far back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Dave0301

ardinn wrote: »
    Its been mentioned already about the speed but going to and back from kingslanding in one episode is a load of balls - it'd have taken 3 episodes at least u to season 5

Honest question, what would you prefer they do instead? Show them plodding along?

This isn't a series of 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Honest question, what would you prefer they do instead? Show them plodding along?

This isn't a series of 24.
    +1. It would be weird to slow the pace down, having nice character building chat scenes over beers and endless shots of different characters en route to wherever it is they're going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Riddle101 wrote: »

The Fellowship of the Wight

Advertisement