Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 Episode 5 "Eastwatch" - "Book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah, you don't need to train, just live in Flea Bottom for a while and work with hammers all day long. :D

Karl "fookin" Tanner from gin alley mate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I thought it was ridiculous. He was a bastard apprentice smith in a boat who knew bugger all of his heritage. Next thing you know he's out looking to avenge "his father" and is a competent warrior.

It doesn't take much outside of muscles to crush two heads with a big **** off hammer, especially when they don't see you coming.

I didn't hear him mentioning avenging Robert either, he went along to help in the war in the North. Dunno what you're on about to be honest, not sure you do either.

I wonder will him and Jon be so pally when Jon finds out Gendrys Dad killed Jon's, also with an oversized hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

The Genry thingreally seems like pandering to fans. Why would Davos even need to go back and find him...its not like he knows he is a gereat warrior and is needed in this mission as he is pure class at capturing white walkers!!! Also the Hammer thing is cheesy and I saw it coming as soon as he showed no interest in having a sword. Something about him having Kings blood will probably be a reason at some stage to why they brough him back. The Plan too is absurd, The Hound, Thorus & Berric just really seem to have been shoehorned into the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

PIORUN wrote: »
    The Genry thingreally seems like pandering to fans. Why would Davos even need to go back and find him...its not like he knows he is a gereat warrior and is needed in this mission as he is pure class at capturing white walkers!!! Also the Hammer thing is cheesy and I saw it coming as soon as he showed no interest in having a sword. Something about him having Kings blood will probably be a reason at some stage to why they brough him back. The Plan too is absurd, The Hound, Thorus & Berric just really seem to have been shoehorned into the plot.

I think it's a loose end they want to cut off. I can't see him surviving the mission beyond the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I think I'm out, that was pish!

Ahhhhh, who am I kidding. . . .

• Advertisement

We're really going through the Houses aren't we?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gendry said he can handle himself and crushed 2 unarmed soldiers by attacking them from behind, with a weapon of his own making, that's a version of what he works every day with. definitely not great warrior stuff

This x100. It's a big leap to assume Gendry is a seasoned warrior just because he smashes two lads heads in from behind. With a big ass freaking hammer.
    Fine with that. No one is expecting him to be a water dancer or a great swordsman and I thought the nod to Robert was well done.
    Given the company he's now keeping it is highly possible he may end up as cannon fodder for the wights anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Honest question, what would you prefer they do instead? Show them plodding along?

This isn't a series of 24.

Im not saying they should slow it down - im saying they should stick with the pace of the previous seasons, this feels extremely rushed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

The TV series seems to be really pushing R+L=J. I guess no N+S=J and John being the Sword of the morning.

I genuinely thought Gendry was brought back to forge weapons with mined Dragonglass!! Would make sense to have tipped swords etc

• Advertisement

ardinn wrote: »
    Im not saying they should slow it down - im saying they should stick with the pace of the previous seasons, this feels extremely rushed!!

There's only nine episodes left! Of course it's going to feel rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Dave0301 wrote: »
    When in that episode was Gendry portrayed as "great warrior"?

Your posts seem to suggest you are watching the show waiting to pick each episode apart gleefully.

Christ almighty, the sensitivity of some people. How do my posts suggest that at all? And even if that was my goal, what matter is it to you? I haven't offered any personal insult.

The "great warrior" comment was clearly hyperbole because, as stated originally, I called him a competent warrior. Context is important, as is bothering to actually read the thread, which is clearly beyond some people here.

I just find the whole thing very odd, and poorly written. To not see him for years and then to suddenly have him aggrieved at the people who killed his father and heading off to war is just a bit of a stretch in my opinion. As said above, smacks of fan service rather then good storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

There's only 7 episodes this season, how would they fit it in? After today's episode 2 episodes left and back to waiting game again till next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I also hate the sight of too many good characters going beyond they wall - they aint all coming back thats for sure!!!
    The only two guaranteed to come back are Jon and the Hound. If we don't get a Hound vs Mountain fight before the end I'll lose my mind. The rest are very disposable. I can see Tormund meeting his end as we haven't really had a fan favourite death in awhile. Sir Friendzone will probably end up doing something honourable for a change which hopefully results in his death. He's a pointless character at this stage. Even better would be if he was the wight transported back to Dani (at least Tyrion would get his coin back :pac:).

Some magic is going to go down with Gendry, Thorus & Berric. There have been way too many references to Gendry's lineage and the Fire god for it not to have significance.

If Jamie does anything to Bronn he needs his head caved in with Gendry's hammer. Cersei is not going to have another child. She was told she'd have 3, so either she miscarries or dies before giving birth.

Arya better not be stupid enough to fall for LF's bs.

Daith wrote: »
    There's only nine episodes left! Of course it's going to feel rushed.

Not sure about that either - when a series hits 100 episodes they get something called "syndication" money

This turns the series from a great earner into mega money - like seriously bigger earnings - difference of a 2 up 2 down to a 1000acre acre estate money!!!

I cant see them leaving it at 84! Maybe (probably) wrong though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Previous seasons also rushed through travel times. They did this right from the start. To slow things down like Jon travelling from Dragonstone to Eastwatch, would require a lot of filler that would be pretty pointless imo. We're heading towards the end, so adding filler to stretch it out would seem weird I would think.

Don't have an issue with the pace at all. Until now, the focus has largely been on the political intrigue of the Game, be that in KL or Meereen, setting us up for the time when all the major players will be in direct contact and/or conflict with each other. That time is now, so a more frantic pace driven by action is to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I genuinely thought Gendry was brought back to forge weapons with mined Dragonglass!! Would make sense to have tipped swords etc

I figured they'd want him for his smithing skills too, I'm gonna rewatch it later and focus more on the dialogue.

I was wondering if the prophecy mentioned 3 kids or not, Paddy clearing it up. Does Jamie know about that then?

I don't feel as enthralled in the show now that I don't have anyone to hate, I don't mind Cersei too much and she's not a patch on Viserys, Ramsey or Joffrey.

I forgot how much I liked Varys here. Talking about "I didn't burn them" was interesting.

As was his "this is a sealed message for the King in the North which says....".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Lads, what did one of the Maesters say in jest about a "Kraken rising up and killing Aegon the conqueror"? Ye think could be some kind of shadowing of Euron (or even Theon) killing Dany?
    I just find the whole thing very odd, and poorly written. To not see him for years and then to suddenly have him aggrieved at the people who killed his father and heading off to war is just a bit of a stretch in my opinion. As said above, smacks of fan service rather then good storytelling.

But we saw him having to flee Kings Landing in the first place in season 1 due to Cersei wanting him dead, then in season 2 he sees the Nightswatch recruits get attacked and killed while looking for him, he then went on to see the horrible things the Lannisters did at Harrenhall, torturing people
    Him wanting revenge on the Lannisters is perfectly believeable

• Advertisement

I forgot how much I liked Varys here. Talking about "I didn't burn them" was interesting.

As was his "this is a sealed message for the King in the North which says....".

Yeah, that exchange with Tyrion was brilliant. They left it behind just long enough before Tyrion repeated his "what does it say?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I really enjoyed the reappearance of Gendry, to be honest. The actor is good, he bounced off Cunnigham and Harrington in his own straight talking style.

He is sufficiently his father's son to have a natural appetite for adventure and headcracking, so he jumps at the invitation of Davos. The guy has been slaving in a smithy all his life and has strong soldier genetics so it follows he is going to be at least as powerful as most of the other top fighters in the story in terms of brute force. Blindsiding two gormless Goldcloaks is well within such an individual's ability- afaik those guys are more hired thugs than hardened warriors.

He did not look like the next Arthur Dayne in the scrap and I doubt the writers will portray him as such in future.

I see flashes of all the Baratheon brothers in him: Robert in his enormous physical power, Stannis in the directness of his bearing and I'm reliably informed that he's as beautiful as Renly. He has the bloody minded stubbornness of all three.

An interesting character well conceived, written and acted. I look forward to seeing much more of the last stag in the time we have left.

• Administrators Posts: 53,376 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

rossie1977 wrote: »
    And more than likely confirms Dany as the main heel of the story. I expect a big turn in season 8.

I don't think so personally, I think Jon will happily let Dany take the iron throne.

North and south may remain divided in the end, though I think this may be a bit too much of a fairytale happy ending.

Not sure about that either - when a series hits 100 episodes they get something called "syndication" money

This turns the series from a great earner into mega money - like seriously bigger earnings - difference of a 2 up 2 down to a 1000acre acre estate money!!!

I cant see them leaving it at 84! Maybe (probably) wrong though!!
    Syndication is basically the show being re-distributed to other cable and local television stations. So GoT will still get that when it reaches the end of its run. And will be getting it long after we're dead probably. ;)

It's going to end next year. Six episodes in the final season. Sorry to burst your bubble. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

That kind of annoyed me. They made no mention of bringing dragon glass weapons with them beyond the wall.

Love that moment between Tyrion and Jorah. Tyrion realising he's not up to the job as hand and it needs to be Jorah, without having to actually say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

So will Gilly's discovery be brought up again. A few scenarios that I'm thinking

- she brought the pooping Maester's book with her so Jon's parents can be revealed to the other characters in the future.
    - someone will mention Rhaegar in passing and she'll say oh he's the guy who got remarried, which leads to some questions.
    - it'll be a case of that's all you get about his lineage, he's not going to rule but here's a slice of info, join the dots together yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I gotta say, while I'm still enjoying it, I am starting to feel a wee bit more disappointed with each episode. My particular gripe with this episode is the "plan" that the Westerosi All Star Crew are about to embark upon.

So, KL is pretty much there for the taking. Dany could besiege it right now and burn any army that sallies forth to meet hers. Jaime and Cersei both acknowledge that the war is basically lost. Yet instead Jon hatches up a brilliant plan to somehow convince Cersei to join them in their fight against the NK. They are going to behind the Wall, and capture a wight. How? Throw a noose around it and stick it in a cage? A barrel perhaps? I just don't understand. Where are they gonna come across a singular wight and how the f**k are they gonna "capture it" and bring it back to KL?

If, or when, they do capture a wight, somehow, and bring it Cersei's court, do they really expect Cersei to just be like "Oh ok cool, I get you now. Yeah ok let's put aside our differences, join up and fight the NK together!"? I mean really? Is this what 7 seasons has come to? Throwing a wight in a potato sack, dumping it at Cersei's feet and expecting everyone to hold hands and go fight the dead? Obviously, we all know that wight or not Cersei is not gonna just go along with this. Perhaps something a la Red Wedding would be lined up. But for Jon, after all these years, all his experience, everything he's gone through, this being his master end game plan just seems a bit... meh.

Surely it would make more sense for Dany to just finish off Cersei now while she is at her most vulnerable, THEN, everyone can focus on the dead army that is thousands of miles away yet. It just seems so... stupid and kinda gimmicky. I am not one for nitpicking and I am pretty open minded about inconsistencies and plot holes or whatever but between the teleporting ships, not a Lannister soldier being remotely aware of a huge dragon and massive Dothraki horde coming their way, the insanely deep shoreline at the lake (c'mon...), Bronn and Jaime escaping, somehow, totally unscathed and making it back to KL and now this genius plan to kidnap a wight, it's losing a bit of it's magic (no pun intended) for me. I'm currently rewatching the whole thing and am now on Season 2 and they just feel like way different shows. GoT today feels like an epic action adventure or something, old GoT felt like an adult and fantasy themed true drama-thriller. I know I know, the pace doesn't allow it, time constraints and stuff, but it dawned on me today if they're compelled to squeeze everything in at the cost of quality, why didn't they just do an extra season? It's not like the fans wouldn't love it and HBO wouldn't approve.

Don't get me wrong, I still eagerly await each episode and I DO enjoy the series overall, as I say it's much better than the plethora of crap TV we are inundated with. But, personally, I feel the quality has notably dropped and plot holes are bigger and bigger. It doesn't necessarily captivate me the way it used to, I'm just dying to know what finally happens after all these years.

Yeah I'm not buying the wight hunt.

Everyone: "Here look at this"
    Cersei: "It's a reanimated corpse. I've a reanimated corpse." *Taps The Mountain*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It seems to me Davos wants Gendry for his expertise in forging weapons. I don't think he wanted Gendry because he wanted another warrior. His abilities would certainly be useful. Although now that Gendry is going beyond the wall, it seems like a waste of his talents as a smith. But it was Gendry's choice.

That sounds right to me. After all the talk about mining Dragonglass the last few episodes, not once did I hear anyone say how they were going to turn it into weapons. They'd obviously need someone who can forge weapons so that's probably why Davos brought Gendry back. Also I don't think there are any weapon smiths on Dragonstone.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm not buying the wight hunt.

Everyone: "Here look at this"
    Cersei: "It's a reanimated corpse. I've a reanimated corpse." *Taps The Mountain*
    Jon: "Yeah, but there are thousands more where this came from, how many of them can you make?"

But no, I don't think Cersei will be at all interested in the greater good of Westeros. She's never been before, so that's not going to change.

Jaime on the other hand ;), might well be persuaded. Whether that does any good or not remains to be seen, but I could see this as the final straw.

And I don't believe she's pregnant. Jaime goes on a little solo run and suddenly gets a reason not to do any more of those...

Advertisement