Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right-wing vs. Left-wing Clashes [MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The rise in racist, white supremacist, far right-wing crap on this website is equally sad to see.

I've been reading Boards more or less since day 1 since Tom and the boys set it up and can honestly say the hate-filled ideology and defence of racists and nazi's is unprecedented and sickening. This place was never like it is today.

The Legend of Kira, Richard Hillman, Eric Cartman, I could name 2x dozen off the top of my head who rush to every Islamic terror thread to spread their xenophobic hatred and equally rush to every right-wing terrorist thread to engage in some "whataboutism".

If you want my own opinion, violence very rarely solves very much but I'd much prefer to pre-emptively punch James Alex Fields unconscious than let him stroll around spewing hate and murdering people with his car because he has a pathetic life living in his mom's basement and can never get a girl.

Same logic applies to the Islamist dummies who are impotent, directionless, socially awkward and want to lash out and hurt others.

I would like to see where any of us have spread xenophobic hatred, i cant think of any example.

Every right wing terrorist thread, what right wing terrorist attacks have there been ?
    Not a single person has said anything here supporting the neo-nazis who were at charlottesville walking round with swastikas like idiots. Nobody has supported the guy who hit people with the car. I do however support the peaceful moderate right protesting the removal of the statue. The only posts I have made in this thread are condemning fascism/censorship and the violent acts of antifa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I would like to see where any of us have spread xenophobic hatred, i cant think of any example.

Every right wing terrorist thread, what right wing terrorist attacks have there been ?
    Not a single person has said anything here supporting the neo-nazis who were at charlottesville walking round with swastikas like idiots. Nobody has supported the guy who hit people with the car. I do however support the peaceful moderate right protesting the removal of the statue. The only posts I have made in this thread are condemning fascism/censorship and the violent acts of antifa.

Okey dokey.

I'll leave you to your whataboutism and stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Inquitus wrote: »
    What exactly do " Nazism, Racism or White Supremacy " have to do with a rational public debate on Immigration policy ? what,s the relevance ? other countries publicly debate Immigration like Australia + the Uk , are such public debates " nazi " or " racist " in your view ?

Your entire debate in this thread is around normalising White Supremacist, Nazi, Racist, protestors in Charlottesville, you cannot pick and choose how you define that given what you have said in this thread, clearly you think White Supremacy, Nazism and Racism are deserving or a platform and I disagree with you.
    You dodged what I asked you in other post, but since you like to conflate " White Supremacy, Nazi, Racism " with a public debate on Immigration here are two tweets from Elaine Byrne regarding Immigration not being debated etc.
    425108.png
    425109.png

By those tweets is she advocating " " White Supremacy, Nazi, Racism " in your view ?

Danzy wrote: »
    It is also the best PR that people like Milo Yiannopolous and Richard Spencer can get, without the reaction to them would anyone ever have heard of them?

Ultimately the problem with No Platforming is that it does not expose toxic ideologies but allows them to fester and gives them a counter culture aura.

Prominent fascists like David Irving and Nick Griffin all thrived on it and their reach fell apart within a very short time of them being debated or challenged.

I know that ye think the working class is so thick that they will fall for any sort of horse**** that they hear.

It is as much about the person doing it as the person being no platformed, it is on the street activism, a rush, does it matter that it is counter-productive, not at all, it is all about the thrill of it, the sense of comradery, the revolutionary vibe. I get it.

Most of all I feel that what makes people uneasy with no platforming and the people who do it is the worry that anyone of us could be next. Personally, I could care less if they took all the KKK men out of Charleston and hung them, don't care but there is nothing I have seen in the last 10 years that would convince me that it would stop there. It is an increasingly abused power and the definition of who is tainted by wrong thinking seems to grow every day.

The same tendency that had many a Red Army revolutionaries from the very start end up being shot in a Camp as a "capitalist roadster" is still there, more than when the tankies were prominent on the left.

I don't trust either of these authoritarian, control freak camps.

Christ on a stick but many segments of the left hate each other more than they hate the ****ers above, it is only a matter of time before they are trying to close each other down.

You honestly think a day will not come when they turn on each other for "wrong thinking"? The list seems inexhaustible and it seems to include a lot of people.
    Richard Spencer + Gavin Mcinnes from the ( Rebel media ) I only heard of both in the last couples of months due to the actions of Antifa TBH , after actions by Antifa I  googled them both on social media to see what they were saying & what they were about , as Im not someone who forms an opinion of someone else based on hearsay & rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Richard Spencer + Gavin Mcinnes from the ( Rebel media ) I only heard of both in the last couples of months due to the actions of Antifa TBH , after actions by Antifa I  googled them both on social media to see what they were saying & what they were about , as Im not someone who forms an opinion of someone else based on hearsay & rumours.

Dog whistling white supremacists both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Did you miss the one yesterday?

And yeeees, somehow it doesn't surprise me that you have only condemned fascism/censorship and Antifa when the incident that sparked this off was a terrorist attack by a white nationalist. Somehow this does not surprise me at all.

As for other right-wing extremist attacks, since 9/11, 48 people have been murdered in the US in attacks linked to white nationalism (compared to 26 in attacks linked to Islamic extremism). Here are some examples from the past few years.

July 2011 (Norway) - Anders Breivik murders 77 people. Remarkable how quick that's been forgotten, isn't it.

Aug, 2012 (USA) - Wade Michael Page murdered six at a Sikh temple. Talked of an impending race war. This come up a lot.

Feb 2014 (USA) - Frazier Glenn Miller, a long-term associate of the KKK murdered three near a Jewish retirement home.

June 2014 (USA) - Jerad and Amanda Miller (The Las Vegas Shootings) shot three people dead. They helpfully pinned a swastika to the body of the first police officer they murdered.

2014-15 (Germany - foiled) - "Oldschool Society" - racist, anti-semitic, anti-Muslim trifecta group planned the destruction of a shelter in Saxony with their stockpile of explosives and weapons.

June 2015 (USA) - Dylann Roof murdered nine people in a black church in Charleston.

July 2015 (USA) - John Russell Houser, a man with a history of far-right extremist views, shot two women dead in a cinema. He was particularly of the anti-females variety of far-right extremism, although he didn't like most other people much either.

Nov. 2015 (USA) - Robert Lewis Dear shot three dead at a Planned Parenthood clinic. Yes, this was a far-right terrorist attack.

March 2017 (USA) - White supremacist James Harris Jackson stabbed a black man to death apparently selecting randomly by colour. He commented it was a "practice run".

Believe me when I say that list isn't exhaustive. There were various different types of right-wing extremist attacks that I didn't include (mostly the suvivalist/anti-gubberment ones) So how many do you actually need before you'll admit that any happen at all?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...here are two tweets from Elaine Byrne regarding Immigration not being debated etc.

[...]

By those tweets is she advocating " " White Supremacy, Nazi, Racism " in your view ?

No, she's just being disingenuous. We have controls on immigration. The myth that we have uncontrolled immigration is one of the bizarre falsehoods that are so often trotted out to justify xenophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Was there any "peaceful moderate right" protesting the removal of the statue? From what I read, the more moderate groups refused invitations to attend the weekend "Unite the Right" rally at the weekend, and it became "increasingly Nazified." See link below, describing the groups that attended.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/12/nazi-white-nationalist-rallies-virginia-protests
    http://www.politicalresearch.org/2017/08/10/a-guide-to-whos-coming-to-the-largest-white-nationalist-rally-in-a-decade/#sthash.iiXKQmM2.l1rFeHwc.dpbs

In July, there was a straight-up KKK rally held in Cville over the statue issue. Moderate conservatives have shunned the issue.

And if you do support protests at removing the statue, why?

Ah, I searched up the thread a bit to find out your position.
    The protest is against the continued destruction of white and conservative history in the US, it was organised and attended by a lot of the moderate right. Some white supremacists joined in because it aligns with their beliefs, . . .

It was not organised or attended by "a lot of the moderate right." For attendees, see the link in the previous post. It was organised by Jason Kessler, a notorious white supremacist. Are white supremacists now considered moderate right? Maybe so. I despair.

"The continued destruction of white and conservative history"? Please. Sensible people realise that the enslavement of humans is a shameful period of our history. Especially since the terrorist Dylann Roof shot up the black church in Charleston several years ago, lots of towns across the South have attempted to get rid of the Confederate statues and shrines that were erected during the 1920s, with the rise of the Klan, to intimidate blacks who were attempting to assert their rights.

I'm a native Virginian, so please forget about "schooling me" on the South or on Robert E. Lee. Someone upthread defended Lee. Read this, and understand why no one but hardcore white supremacists should support his cult of personality:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

I'm also an alumnus of the University of Virginia, so I know Charlottesville pretty well. They deserve so much better than this. Brave of them to stand up against Nazis, KKK, and other white supremacists flooding into their beautiful and once peaceful city.

Samaris wrote: »
    Did you miss the one yesterday?

And yeeees, somehow it doesn't surprise me that you have only condemned fascism/censorship and Antifa when the incident that sparked this off was a terrorist attack by a white nationalist. Somehow this does not surprise me at all.

As for other right-wing extremist attacks, since 9/11, 48 people have been murdered in the US in attacks linked to white nationalism (compared to 26 in attacks linked to Islamic extremism). Here are some examples from the past few years.

July 2011 (Norway) - Anders Breivik murders 77 people. Remarkable how quick that's been forgotten, isn't it.

Aug, 2012 (USA) - Wade Michael Page murdered six at a Sikh temple. Talked of an impending race war. This come up a lot.

Feb 2014 (USA) - Frazier Glenn Miller, a long-term associate of the KKK murdered three near a Jewish retirement home.

June 2014 (USA) - Jerad and Amanda Miller (The Las Vegas Shootings) shot three people dead. They helpfully pinned a swastika to the body of the first police officer they murdered.

2014-15 (Germany - foiled) - "Oldschool Society" - racist, anti-semitic, anti-Muslim trifecta group planned the destruction of a shelter in Saxony with their stockpile of explosives and weapons.

June 2015 (USA) - Dylann Roof murdered nine people in a black church in Charleston.

July 2015 (USA) - John Russell Houser, a man with a history of far-right extremist views, shot two women dead in a cinema. He was particularly of the anti-females variety of far-right extremism, although he didn't like most other people much either.

Nov. 2015 (USA) - Robert Lewis Dear shot three dead at a Planned Parenthood clinic. Yes, this was a far-right terrorist attack.

March 2017 (USA) - White supremacist James Harris Jackson stabbed a black man to death apparently selecting randomly by colour. He commented it was a "practice run".

Believe me when I say that list isn't exhaustive. There were various different types of right-wing extremist attacks that I didn't include (mostly the suvivalist/anti-gubberment ones) So how many do you actually need before you'll admit that any happen at all?

Cheers for the list, Ofcourse they happen, nobody can claim in good faith that the right have never attacked anyone. it was a genuine question to that poster and not me being smart. They made the claim that Myself and other posters jumped in on every right wing terrorist attack thread to defend it, I was asking for a list , which you have provided and as I have never made any contribution defending any of those events, it proves the poster to be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

it was organised and attended by a lot of the moderate right.
    Fake news

Sad!

Ah, I searched up the thread a bit to find out your position.

It was not organised or attended by "a lot of the moderate right." For attendees, see the link in the previous post. It was organised by Jason Kessler, a notorious white supremacist. Are white supremacists now considered moderate right? Maybe so. I despair.

"The continued destruction of white and conservative history"? Please. Sensible people realise that the enslavement of humans is a shameful period of our history. Especially since the terrorist Dylann Roof shot up the black church in Charleston several years ago, lots of towns across the South have attempted to get rid of the Confederate statues and shrines that were erected during the 1920s, with the rise of the Klan, to intimidate blacks who were attempting to assert their rights.

I'm a native Virginian, so please forget about "schooling me" on the South or on Robert E. Lee. Someone upthread defended Lee. Read this, and understand why no one but hardcore white supremacists should support his cult of personality:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

I'm also an alumnus of the University of Virginia, so I know Charlottesville pretty well. They deserve so much better than this. Brave of them to stand up against Nazis, KKK, and other white supremacists flooding into their beautiful and once peaceful city.

I was not aware of that. I'll have to do some further research into Kessler.

Slavery is ofcourse a shameful part of history but the american civil war is an incredibly important time period in US history, I personally believe the statue is not to celebrate slavery but a reminder of that time period, history, no matter how awful should never be forgotten or destroyed.

Slavery is ofcourse a shameful part of history but the american civil war is an incredibly important time period in US history, I personally believe the statue is not to celebrate slavery but a reminder of that time period, history, no matter how awful should never be forgotten or destroyed.

Yes, sometimes it should be, when symbols of its power are left to become symbols of a new generation with the same ideals as the old one. That is why the statues of dictators are famously toppled when the regime falls. It is a symbol of a new dawn without the evils of the past.

It should not be forgotten, quite, but there is a clear line between remembering the past and idolising it.

Why should, say, black people who live there have to put up with that statue still acting as a beacon to those that would happily see them killed or driven out? Why is the history of the aggressors more important than the life now of the descendants of their victims? And why was that statue worth more than human life to James Fields and those that have lauded him?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The Nazis are white supremacists are entitled to their speech. They are not entitled to speaking in public without a counter protest. Nor are the left.

Racism does not deserve equal respect as an anti racist protes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's just a catch-22 situation.

If you just *ignore* the assembly of white nationalists, racists etc it empowers and emboldens them to grow their base. It's just like any cult, the more you let them talk without pushback, the more followers they will attract.

On the other hand, counter-protesting always seems to end up in arrests and violence and that holds true across the world, even in Ireland. Obviously plenty of examples up north of counter-protests to Orange marches etc, it never seems to end well.

So I don't know really what the answer is.

There are third and fourth options, though. The third option is to allow them to have their march / rally, and then organise a rally for an opposing ideology the following week, showing that this has far greater numbers. Rather than directly confronting the racist march, have a pro-equality march afterwards and entirely separately, and let the numbers speak for themselves.

I make the same argument with regard to pro-choice and pro-life marches. I detest "counter demos" for many reasons - rather than trying to disrupt or impede the march you disagree with, I say respect their right to free speech and then challenge their ideology with a march of your own, on a different day.

The fourth option is ridicule. Rather than opposing them in a confrontational way, if you must try to disrupt them, do so with comedy. Far more effective and far less likely to descend into anarchy - one of my favourite videos of the last few years is this guy, who saw a KKK march passing his house and decided to have a bit of craic with a tuba:

Straight away he's making them look moronic without giving them any claim to martyrdom - he's not trying to physically impose upon their right to assembly, he's not attacking them, he's certainly not intimidating - and yet he manages to make them all look like a bunch of absolute muppets. :D
    Put it this way - if you had a suspicion that James Alex Fields was going to get in his car any moment and murder people, you'd punch him in the nose, beat the crap out of him and wait for the police right? You wouldn't just let him go kill people.

That is correct. But speech and physical violence are two entirely different things.
    The sad reality of Donald Trump is most of his base are racists. Most of them are longing for an idealized version of America that is never coming back. An America where men are men, women are women, whites are in charge, coal-mining and manual labour jobs are plentiful...

Instead the future is technology, education, diversity, progress.

I agree. But they have a right to hold and express whatever backwards opinions they feel like holding, even if we detest them. Such a right is fundamentally important in a democratic society. Should they evolve from merely stating their hatred to openly advocating for violence, that becomes an entirely different matter, because they are now guilty of conspiracy to violence. But to use a relevant analogy for the European alt-right, there's a huge difference between #KillAllMuslims and #IslamIsEvil. The former is a call to violence, the latter is an expression of a hateful opinion. Even though I despise the latter ideology, we must all reluctantly accept that people must have the right to air their opinions.
    To my mind there's an inevitability that there's going to be huge violence in the next decade in America because there's simply too many people rejecting an inevitable path towards change.

I agree, but I regard the alt-left (AKA the SJW left) and its deliberate antagonism of disaffected straight, white men (the only group that it currently acceptable to direct hate speech towards) as being hugely responsible for this. If you poke a bear often enough, it's going to try to maul you. The idiots who do things like tweet #KillAllMen and then say "well, I'm a woman, so because I don't have privilege it's impossible for me to be sexist - but men can't fire anything back, bwa ha ha" are fuelling this sh!te.

There's a fantastic article about how the deliberate attempts to antagonise and goad white people are contributing to the rise in alt-right attitudes:

Note that this author doesn't actually defend hatred, he merely points out that it is an inevitable consequence of having one's identity dragged through the coals for no legitimate reason.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/23/how-anti-white-rhetoric-is-fueling-white-nationalism/ - "How anti-white rhetoric is fuelling white nationalism"

"One of the key components to the success of this racism is the almost-daily parade of silly micro-aggressions and triggers, specifically on college campuses. Conservative media seize upon disputes over the cultural appropriation of taco night or banning hoopskirts as evidence that minority racial grievance has gotten unhinged."

And

"Young white men, reacting to social and educational constructs that paint them as the embodiment of historical evil, are fertile ground for white supremacists. They are very aware of the dichotomy between non-white culture, which must be valued at all times (even in the midst of terror attacks), and white culture, which must be criticized and devalued. They don’t like it.

The result of these societal double standards is for many a desire to lash out against it. For every white college student who dutifully accepts his privilege, many more resent the idea and wish to fight it. The sharpest arrow in their quiver is to be offensive.
    "

This situation will keep getting worse until the deliberate antagonism and trolling of white men by the "liberal" left is opposed. I mean I even found myself getting sucked down the Voat rabbit hole for a few brief moments when I got so utterly fed up of all the "men are the root of all evil in the world" narrative being pushed by the mainstream media. It's inevitable that for every ten people who take a glance at it and decide that it's too racist and too sexist for them to stomach, there'll be one person who's angry enough at having their identity constantly attacked that they won't care - and these are the "unite the right" marchers of tomorrow.

Yes, sometimes it should be, when symbols of its power are left to become symbols of a new generation with the same ideals as the old one. That is why the statues of dictators are famously toppled when the regime falls. It is a symbol of a new dawn without the evils of the past.

It should not be forgotten, quite, but there is a clear line between remembering the past and idolising it.

Why should, say, black people who live there have to put up with that statue still acting as a beacon to those that would happily see them killed or driven out? Why is the history of the aggressors more important than the life now of the descendants of their victims? And why was that statue worth more than human life to James Fields and those that have lauded him?

Well I suppose theres two sides to every story, there was the planned statue of che guevara to be erected in galway, I'm sure there are a lot of cubans who would be horrified and upset at a statue being erected to a murderous tyrant, then again many see him as a freedom fighter. There still remains some statues to lenin who's communist regime killed millions, sure even a US context the very holiday of thanksgiving is considered offensive to native americans. I don't think you can erect a statue of any historical figure without pissing off a lot of people. If it was a new statue planned I'd completely agree that its no longer appropriate but considering firstly that the statue was already in place, the period in history it concerns is a long time ago and the controversy it has caused , I would be in favor of leaving it.

As for James Fields, if he was left wing, a muslim etc... you would have people out to say "ohh lone wolf, mental illness etc... ". I however will go with my hardline view on all people who do these things, regardless of political affiliation, ideology or any other factor, this guy was an asshole, a man completely devoid of compassion who murdered innocent people to defend nothing. The world would be better off without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

It's all about perspective and to those looking on what is being remembered or commemorated as important - is a statue of Oliver Cromwell appropriate or a bronze cast depicting famine victims...a statue of Hitler or enshrining Auschwitz-Birkenau as a memorial...just because history is important doesn't mean it isn't equally important for moving forward, healing and forgiveness what emphasis is put on that history....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

The KKK and Antifa looked like the idiots they are at these clashes. White hoods, black hoods flipping jumped up twats. Morons at the far extremes of the left and right wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,632 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    The KKK and Antifa looked like the idiots they are at these clashes. White hoods, black hoods flipping jumped up twats. Morons at the far extremes of the left and right wings.

It is a good auld fashioned Southern Family Feud. Both so alike one can hardly tell the difference and most ordinary people happy to let the complete asshole collective to it.

It's just a catch-22 situation.

If you just *ignore* the assembly of white nationalists, racists etc it empowers and emboldens them to grow their base. It's just like any cult, the more you let them talk without pushback, the more followers they will attract.
    Will it though? **** seems to have got a lot worse over the last few years and a lot of people including myself (and other assorted lefties) have been massively put off by the no-platforming, shrill, shriek, right-on bro left that has put itself forward. When a gap like that is created there's a vacuum to be filled.

I personally am not in favour of removing statues like that. However there was a democratic vote and I'm not a black whose family still bears the scars of slavery and the confederacy. In New Orleans they had to work during the night with armed protection to remove a statue ffs. Trying to equate removing statues with deleting or censoring history is a fair reach to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...here are two tweets from Elaine Byrne regarding Immigration not being debated etc.

[...]

No, she's just being disingenuous. We have controls on immigration. The myth that we have uncontrolled immigration is one of the bizarre falsehoods that are so often trotted out to justify xenophobia.
    ROI is part of the EU, you most certainly don't have control over EU immigration. Any EU workers can work in Ireland if they have a job lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ROI is part of the EU, you most certainly don't have control over EU immigration. Any EU workers can work in Ireland if they have a job lined up.

That's controlled immigration from EU nations only, not unchecked migration from anywhere, EU migrants to Ireland are a benefit to our society, contributing more to the system then they take out in return, as well as plugging gaps in the labour market in various sectors from farming to healthcare.

Slavery is of course a shameful part of history but the american civil war is an incredibly important time period in US history, I personally believe the statue is not to celebrate slavery but a reminder of that time period, history, no matter how awful should never be forgotten or destroyed.

The purpose of these monuments was, and for many, still is, to venerate "heroes" of the Confederacy and to support what they stood for. The defenders of these monuments --- as well as the Confederate flag --- do not see them as remnants of a shameful past, but as symbols to rally round in support of the ideals of white (male, Christian) supremacy. How could there be any more clear demonstration of this than what happened this weekend? Nazis and KKK rallying around a monument to their "superiority," shouting hateful racist, antisemitic, and homophobic slurs and attacking people who challenge their dangerous delusions.

Charlottesville doesn't want a magnet for haters its park. Imagine that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hmm... In the Antipodes, there is probably no more nationally defining moment than ANZAC day. The losses that they took against the enemy, commanded by Mustafa Ataturk were such that in Canberra, the Prime Minister's office is in direct alignment with the main street, ANZAC Parade, and at the other end on the street, the War Memorial. In other words, it's a Big Deal to Australians.

On ANZAC Parade is a series of memorials and monuments, mainly to Australian soldiers and the wars they fought in. One, however, is to the commander of the forces who killed so many Australians and forged the national identity, Ataturk. There is also an Ataturk memorial across the water in Wellington, NZ, the other part of the ANZAC. In Turkey is a monument to the Australians and New Zealanders who died invaded their country. Someone is hosting in their country, a monument to "the bad guys".

These monuments were created in the spirit of friendship, respect and peace. A similar reason to why the US Army still has so many streets and bases named after the 'enemy' commanders, to include, yes, Fort Lee, named in 1917. As another example. the Robert E Lee House is in Fort Hamilton, a New York City fort which saw service through the Civil War on the side Lee was not on. Fort Hamilton also has a Lee Street, by the way. The US Army may have suffered great loss in trying to defeat Lee (and his colleagues), yet the US Army also respected a capable warrior who did what he felt best for his State. The US Army is holding firm to that position, example this week. http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/08/us/army-keeps-confederate-street-names-trnd/index.html

Without denying the truth of Samaris' position, I would argue that the position of Australia/New Zealand and the US Army on a very similar matter also has validity. Last month, there was controversy when it seemed that the monument to the ANZAC soldiers in Turkey was being...altered, to reflect a more 'politically acceptable to the Turks' theme. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/16/turkish-islamist-push-may-be-to-blame-for-removal-of-ataturk-inscription-at-anzac-cove
    The Aussies and Kiwis were quite concerned that their exchange of respect for their former (And I would emphasise, "Former") enemies was being destabilised by the current political atmosphere in Ankara. Is their position wrong?

Like many swords, these monuments can be double-edged. They can indeed be a rallying point or symbol of that best abandoned to history. But they can simultaneously be a respectful acknowledgement of a people's past to drive forward into the future. Which do we let them become, and why do we not drive the narrative instead of letting others do it?

Well I suppose theres two sides to every story, there was the planned statue of che guevara to be erected in galway, I'm sure there are a lot of cubans who would be horrified and upset at a statue being erected to a murderous tyrant, then again many see him as a freedom fighter. There still remains some statues to lenin who's communist regime killed millions, sure even a US context the very holiday of thanksgiving is considered offensive to native americans. I don't think you can erect a statue of any historical figure without pissing off a lot of people. If it was a new statue planned I'd completely agree that its no longer appropriate but considering firstly that the statue was already in place, the period in history it concerns is a long time ago and the controversy it has caused , I would be in favor of leaving it.

It's one of those things that can be debated, but I'm in favour of taking it down as the city and many of its people wanted. These statues were erected mostly in the 1920s (not at the stage of the war itself) during a period of gentrification in many southern towns. This gentrification was quite often violent, but pretty much always focussed on shoving out the undesirables who brought the tone of the area down. That most certainly included black people.

The history that this statue is most emblematic of to those in the area (although perhaps the poster who grew up near there could correct me if I'm wrong) is the history of the poorer societies being pushed or thrown out, and these erected as markers of boundaries. That specifically applies to this statue of Lee and one of Jackson. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2017/06/how_charlottesville_s_confederate_statues_helped_decimate_the_city_s_historically.html

It's an interesting read. But this is not even all about the American war. This is an enduring insult, a symbol of black people in particular not really being people - and it's from more recent times than the Civil War. It continued being such in at least the lifetimes of the parents of many people living there. And now it's being used for similar purposes again. In my opinion, people have a stronger right not to have to live under a symbol of oppression than others do to have a symbol of oppression to admire and emulate.

As an aside to that, I'm bemused by the statue to Che Guevara in Galway, but I'm going to guess he had Irish ancestry. Him and half the rest of the world, and I think a statue to him is a daft idea.
    As for James Fields, if he was left wing, a muslim etc... you would have people out to say "ohh lone wolf, mental illness etc... ". I however will go with my hardline view on all people who do these things, regardless of political affiliation, ideology or any other factor, this guy was an asshole, a man completely devoid of compassion who murdered innocent people to defend nothing. The world would be better off without him.
    Well, he's not left-wing, and there was someone in here earlier who was, I kid you not, arguing that obviously what happened was that a poor innocent white man was being surrounded and attacked by violent protesters and in fear of his life, he floored it. A "reporter" on the scene whose twitter feed I stumbled across was reporting in the face of all available evidence, which included video and PHOTOS OF THE PRISTINE CAR*, was adamant that it was covered in dents from the violent beating the nasty protesters had given it. She was standing at the scene, seeing the blood still on the ground and the shocked people around her, deliberately lying about it. Taylor something. Fake news artist extraordinaire and complete failure of a human being.

I'm with you on that he and his fanatical ilk, regardless of which ideology they are willing to sacrifice other people's lives for, are worthless scum, btw.

*Pristine bar the front, ofc, but even she wasn't attempting to argue that the smashed in front was from a baseball bat. Probably only because she didn't think of it in time though.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sure, like Carlow doesn't have control over immigration from Longford. There's no debate to be had over immigration from the EU, other than the whole "we need to control all foreigners coming in here" aspect of it, which - let's face it - still boils down to xenophobia.

[...]

Her first post that " Ireland is behind on Immigration debate " she is correct saying that as its a political issue that,s not publicly debated in the present or in recent years .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Did you somehow miss the couple of million people who have entered Europe illegally via its southern border countries from the middle east, africa and east asia over the last three years?

Sure, like Carlow doesn't have control over immigration from Longford. There's no debate to be had over immigration from the EU, other than the whole "we need to control all foreigners coming in here" aspect of it, which - let's face it - still boils down to xenophobia.
    Phobia is a word which is defined as a fear in most dictionaries, saying " control Immigration " I don,t see anything fearful in saying that statement, some of us may of migrated to Australia or had friends/relatives that migrated there in recent years, as many people will be aware if you migrate to Australia there are strict conditions for entry + if you overstat your welcome on your visa you get deported or if you have a criminal record you will be refused entry into their country, this is controlled Immigration which is perfectly reasonable .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Open borders advocates are maniacs. If we dont face these lunatics down we might as well hand the place over to the fascists today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement