Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

14 years between Wimbledon titles, yet another record. If it was up to me I'd rename CC the Roger Federer Arena.

So oldest man to win it, most male titles and over the longest period of time?

Some achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Unbelievable achievement be Federer to win 2 grand slams in a year at his age.He has to be one of the greatest sportspeople of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

walshb wrote: »
    Another fooking mismatch...how people get up for this baffles me..

It was more competitive than the tennis to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Be interesting to see if Čilić can stand up to Federation Federer tomorrow and match him shot for shot. Roger has played some miraculous strokes this past couple of weeks but what'll happen if he's down a set and a break or two and staring down the barrel? Bit like Venus or even Nadal, he's enjoyed a comfortable enough passage so far. Up Čilić!
    jr86 wrote: »
    Brutal final and as I feared a complete collapse by cilic/

Muller Nadal perhaps the only real highlight

It leaves several interesting subplots however. How long will murray and Novak sit out? How will federer approach the rest of the year? Will Nadal burn out?
    14 years between Wimbledon titles, yet another record. If it was up to me I'd rename CC the Roger Federer Arena.

Very disappointing final. I thought Cilic had the potential to stand up to the Federer Corporation, after he battled hard against Mueller who had a big serve and was returning Querrey's big serves well. What happened to him? Hard to believe that he could be that mentally fragile and get to big tournament finals? Maybe a bug, overheating or something in the family background?? Really when you look at it, Federer didn't really have too battle too hard at all - Berdych probably ran him closest, could easily have been three tie breaks there in the SF. And Roger ran his luck a bit there and the crowd were all for him. He 's not superhuman - put him under pressure and the mistakes come too.

It's up to the younger players to get off their butts and put these old fogeys where they belong. Same in the womens - the Williams need to be permanently put to bed by the younger generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Its hard to imagine a greater, more impeccable sportsman than Roger Federer - class, style and dignity personified. Delighted for him. It's been a privilege to watch him play over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,616 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The dullest SW19 in years.

The dullest SW19 in years.

Yes. Pretty much. Nadal - Muller in the fourth round was the best match.
    High-profile matches in the quarters, semis and the final affected in some way by injuries.
    The guys with talent who should be challenging by now e.g. Kyrgios or Dimitrov are either not arsed or mentally frail or both.
    Women's side didn't really take off either.
    Had followed Ostapenko as like her all-out game but she went out to Williams.
    men's and women's finals were both crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

glasso wrote: »
    Had followed Ostapenko as like her all-out game but she went out to Williams.

Yeah, she has the game to beat the Williams but you've also got to beat the Williams persona and reputation - the disdain they often show towards their fellow players on court. It's a mind game as much as anything with them!

Yeah, she has the game to beat the Williams but you've also got to beat the Williams persona and reputation - the disdain they often show towards their fellow players on court. It's a mind game as much as anything with them!

Ostapenko's serve is quite frankly, sh1t. The second-serve in particular is so slow that Williams could destroy her on the return. That's one of the big reasons for her loss. Needs to sort that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Couldn't see a long priced winner coming from nowhere on the men's side in the modern game.
    E.g. Fed turned pro 1998, didn't win a GS until 2003 at Wimbledon.

Even Becker was not totally unknown in 1985. Was unseeded only as Wimbledon only seeded 16 at the time.

Don't know what price Goran was. He was a bit unusual to be sure in that he had been in three finals before. Henman had him then blew it. Match went on over 3 days due to rain.

Goran was 150-1 before 2001 Wimbledon ! :eek:
    He was having a terrible terrible year, a few months before he had to retire from
    a match cos he had no rackets left, he had smashed them all :D

The all England club just felt sorry for him and threw him a wildcard - he beat their hero Henman :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Thought Cillic was a good bet. Shame he didn't go on to win it. Was fantastic in Queens but i do have a soft spot for Federer. He is not a whinger (as compared to Djokivic and Murray) so its nice to see him do well

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Delighted for Roger Federer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its hard to imagine a greater, more impeccable sportsman than Roger Federer - class, style and dignity personified. Delighted for him. It's been a privilege to watch him play over the years.

On the whole I'd agree but I think he overstepped the mark with that ridiculous jacket against Roddick at Wimbledon a few years back .
    He is not a whinger (as compared to Djokivic and Murray) so its nice to see him do well

Indeed,he was often struggling physically in matches in past years and he always downplayed it or denied it.
    A class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Thought Cillic was a good bet. Shame he didn't go on to win it. Was fantastic in Queens but i do have a soft spot for Federer. He is not a whinger (as compared to Djokivic and Murray) so its nice to see him do well

not sure about the not a whinger thing, he can be a pretty bad looser on occasion, but it doesn't tend to happen that often (the loosing I mean)

he was the best player there this week however, and its not his fault that anyone who might have given him a game got injured. he showed up, played as well as he had to, so fair play.

a good tournament needs at least one epic (perhaps a final but it usually happens in one of the semis) to make it last in the memory, this one had none (on the mens side anyways, I feel I need to make that very clear or murray will be on here taking me to task)

its been, for me at least, not the most interesting year so far, nadal / fed in the aussie final was memorable, not for being a great match, but it went 5 and had two interesting protagonists...apart form that its difficult to pick out many great matches...

i'm very disappointed in the younger brigade (that now is basically anyone under 28 ) i've said it before, Nadal won his first slam at 18, Federer at 22, djokovic won his first at 21, murray got to a slam final at age 21 and had won a 1000 event by then

where is the future?

anyways, congrats to Federer, no 20 at the UPS Open will be a gimme the way things stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Federer has been definitely a bad loser on occasion. But overall he's never been involved in any scandal and conducts himself well

Easily the best player to watch aesthetically speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Djokovic and murray whinge a lot on court but both are pretty much always classy in defeat in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

So I trained a number of tennis teams in my past. What I find so hard to understand is how the modern player holds the racket. In my day there was a V grip, jeepers the grip today, when watched in slow motion, is simply incredible. The grip has moved half way around the racket handle. It is just amazing to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Wish Andrew Castle would stop comparing Roger's 19 to the women with more. Incomparable. No need to be mentioning Navratilova, Graf, Serena, Court etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Wish Andrew Castle would stop comparing Roger's 19 to the women with more. Incomparable. No need to be mentioning Navratilova, Graf, Serena, Court etc.

He has to , it's the BBC narrative, in this Orwellian time we live in you have to understand that Roger Federer and Serena Williams are roughly the same.
    In a match it would go to 5 sets and would be 10 all in the 5th - it could go either way*

* The BBC actually want you to believe this.

jr86 wrote: »
    Easily the best player to watch aesthetically speaking.

It's not even close...I can't think of nay player in history that is close to Roger in this department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

So I trained a number of tennis teams in my past. What I find so hard to understand is how the modern player holds the racket. In my day there was a V grip, jeepers the grip today, when watched in slow motion, is simply incredible. The grip has moved half way around the racket handle. It is just amazing to watch

I was only remarking on that the other day to a friend ,some of the grips are ridiculous looking ,I don't know how they hit the ball.
    Its probably due to the amount of top spin players generate nowadays ,back in the olden days people hit the ball much flatter so the grip was different.
    He has to , it's the BBC narrative, in this Orwellian time we live in you have to understand that Roger Federer and Serena Williams are roughly the same.
    In a match it would go to 5 sets and would be 10 all in the 5th - it could go either way*

Its the PC brigade ,even Doctor Who is a woman now .It's becoming a farce .

I see from reports than Fed went on the lash last night until 5am. Doesn't remember where he was or what he was drinking and woke up with a mauldy head on him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/07/17/head-ringing-roger-federer-nurses-wimbledon-hangover-celebrating/

Well deserved.

Quite ironic that with the supposed hard draw that he had at the outset that he romped through without losing a set in the end. First time that it has been done since ice-man Borg.

A consummate pro like Federer would have always struck me as a teetotaller...

Not someone to get mouldy, even on a rare occasion!

A consummate pro like Federer would have always struck me as a teetotaller...

Not someone to get mouldy, even on a rare occasion!

well seems like in did on this occasion - see the article...

well seems like in did on this occasion - see the article...

I read it....

I wonder how much it is exaggerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I read it....

I wonder how much it is exaggerated?

Well he looked fairly rough in the photo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Well he looked fairly rough in the photo anyway.

Is Fed going all Miley Cyrus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Could well be exaggerated, or perhaps Fed is just one of those very casual drinkers who can get a bit blottoed after just a few scoops.

But I dont get the notion that a consummate pro should be teetotal. I seriously doubt the odd blow out for the supremely fit athlete would inflict any harm, if anything i'd be inclined to lean the other way.

But I dont get the notion that a consummate pro should be teetotal. I seriously doubt the odd blow out for the supremely fit athlete would inflict any harm, if anything i'd be inclined to lean the other way.

Nobody said they should be teetoal.

But, personally I always felt those greats who were or are had a mindset about them. That alcohol was a toxin that they weren't going to ingest....

Floyd Mayweather springs to mind. Ali too...although his religion was a factor. Ali to my knowledge was not a drinker of any sort pre Islamic conversion.

Federer for me just gave off the vibe and air of someone who wasn't a drinker of any sort. Rare or otherwise.

Andy Murray I believe is teetotal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Nobody said they should be teetoal.

But, personally I always felt those greats who were or are had a mindset about them. That alcohol was a toxin that they weren't going to ingest....

Floyd Mayweather springs to mind. Ali too...although his religion was a factor. Ali to my knowledge was not a drinker of any sort pre Islamic conversion.

Federer for me just gave off the vibe and air of someone who wasn't a drinker of any sort. Rare or otherwise.

Andy Murray I believe is teetotal...

Forgive me, I thought that was what you appeared to be saying, but for what it's worth, I do actually agree about Fed. Murray, I think, gave up beer for the good of his career but, honestly, there are times I see him getting tortured in interviews when I think, just let it go Andy and have a couple of beers.

I'm reminded of an old Paidi O Se story. The Kerry boys were shacked up in a Cork hotel the night before the Munster final and, bored witless, a few of them slipped out to a local hostelry for a couple of looseners. In the pub they were approached by a Kerry supporter, aghast that they should be out the night before such a big match. "Do you realise all the Cork boys are tucked up safely in their beds?" he admonisthed.

Quick as a flash Paidi shot back: "Yes, but are they sleeping?"

Advertisement