Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Those feet look horrible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Foot being rebandaged

William and Kate having a nice day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,616 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    William and Kate having a nice day out.

As they should, being royalty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Second very disappointing final in two days. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

what a struggle to win a service game for a giant like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The field has been awful this year, as it has been for a long long time outside of Federer, Nadal and to a lesser extent Djokovic and Murray. Imagine how many easy slams Federer would have won by now had Nadal not shown up? Would probably be pushing 30, if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is cilic injured or something? I only saw the opening few games but when I stopped watching he had break point on Feds serve??

Imagine how many easy slams Federer would have won by now had Nadal not shown up? Would probably be pushing 30, if not more

he wouldn't. 10 of 15 of Nadal's slams have been in France. Federer has been beaten 5 times there by Nadal, more often than that by other players before the final. he wouldn't have won all of those 5 finals if Nadal wasn't there. even at his peak Fed wasn't unbeatable (outside Nadal) on clay.

Djokovic has been the dominant slam winner in the last 5/6 years. (aside from this year)

What would happen if it starts raining as the game is finishing ? Would they close the roof for the presentation ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Federer a game away from Wimbledon #8.

Cue platitudes about how great Marin is, how he will one one day etc etc.

Federer's greatest shot-strength is his serve!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That must be one of the quickest finals ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Federer crying cos its the first time hes seen his kids in months , probably barely regognises them

Nice of roger to finish up before the Leinster football final. Fierce conciderate of him.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Another slam for Humble Fed. Defending nothing for the rest of the year, and will probably end year as #1

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Incredible really from what looked a pretty tough draw, he has won the tournament without dropping a set. Final probably his easiest match, apart from the non event opening round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Girl twins very like their Mum..

at one point Fed thought he would never be back in the final on Sunday at Wimbledon and then he takes one five years after his last victory - guess that he could be forgiven for shedding a tear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

A privilege to get to watch the greatest sportsman of all time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Federer is a classy guy

glasso wrote: »
    Cue platitudes about how great Marin is, how he will one one day etc etc.

Jaysus, Fed didn't even say this about Cilic. Fed must think that he's shyte.

Stheno wrote: »
    That must be one of the quickest finals ever

Wimbledon
    The 1881 Wimbledon final in which William Renshaw defeated John Hartley, 6–0, 6–1, 6–1, lasted 36 minutes.
    Fred Perry defeated Baron Gottfried von Cramm, 6–1, 6–1, 6–0, in the 1936 Wimbledon final in 40 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortest_tennis_match_records#Wimbledon_2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Brutal final and as I feared a complete collapse by cilic

Not a hope he'd ever beat one of the big 4 in a slam final

The poorest men's side in years tbh. Was shaping up great after week one but Djokovic and murray both getting injured left a real sour taste. Sadly no real underdog story either. Raonic, zverev, kyrgios all exited in disappointing circumstances eventually

Muller Nadal perhaps the only real highlight

It leaves several interesting subplots however. How long will murray and Novak sit out? How will federer approach the rest of the year? Will Nadal burn out?

I've been very underwhelmed overall in 2017 and this event followed suit sadly

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Nice of roger to finish up before the Leinster football final. Fierce conciderate of him.

Another fooking mismatch...how people get up for this baffles me..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

jr86 wrote: »
    Brutal final and as I feared a complete collapse by cilic

Not a hope he'd ever beat one of the big 4 in a slam final

The poorest men's side in years tbh. Was shaping up great after week one but Djokovic and murray both getting injured left a real sour taste. Sadly no real underdog story either. Raonic, zverev, kyrgios all exited in disappointing circumstances eventually

Muller Nadal perhaps the only real highlight

It leaves several interesting subplots however. How long will murray and Novak sit out? How will federer approach the rest of the year? Will Nadal burn out?

I've been very underwhelmed overall in 2017 and this event followed suit sadly

We had a cracking Aussie Open, however the last 2 Slams have been pretty dull. Nadal and Federer both won their respective Slams without dropping a set ffs.

I think its a somewhat underwhelming Slam yet again from the men, Murray who clearly is nowhere close to his best nearly reached a semi final, while the young guns did not really do anything of note.

The semis were okish, while the final was the pits.

The ladies side for all the flaws has been much more entertaining tbh, the French had a 100/1 shot win it (when the hell was the last time someone that price won a men's slam, Goran?) and Wimbly overall despite an underwhelming finish felt much more fresh and exciting.

On the US Open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

No 100/1 winner in the mens and please God it stays that way, I'd absolutely hate such randomness

Couldn't see a long priced winner coming from nowhere on the men's side in the modern game.
    E.g. Fed turned pro 1998, didn't win a GS until 2003 at Wimbledon.

Even Becker was not totally unknown in 1985. Was unseeded only as Wimbledon only seeded 16 at the time.

Don't know what price Goran was. He was a bit unusual to be sure in that he had been in three finals before. Henman had him then blew it. Match went on over 3 days due to rain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

14 years between Wimbledon titles, yet another record. If it was up to me I'd rename CC the Roger Federer Arena.

Advertisement