Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

C'mon Muguruza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Gabby

tumblr_lgqwsbEa891qfjmnk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This has been an excellent match so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Finally a competitive womens Wimbledon final. Been since there has been one

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

How many fooking sitters has Venus put into the net?

17 years gap a record between making a GS finals men and women?

Maybe Navratilova longer?

Edit: Venus made U.S. Final in 1997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well done garbine. Have the baselines at Wimbledon been this bad before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Would have preferred Williams to take first set, if Muguruza gets the forehand going this could be over quickly. Would love 3 sets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Surprised that this is shaping up to be a great final! Sad that I'm surprised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Plenty would have blown it from *4-5 15-40 in the set but serious guts from muguruza to hold it out

The strange thing is she actually looks uncomfortable on the grass. The high bounce on day 13 grass is really helping her as she is very uncomfortable and unorthodox on low or bad bounces

Really enjoying this one.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Not since I can remember. It's a shambles. Nadal would win tomorrow if he was there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Agree, best contest of the last few days, super rallies, great skills and shot choices but Garbine has lost any nerves and she has the engine and the endurance to shade this. Delighted for hows shes performing, shes an inspiring player.

jr86 wrote: »

Not since I can remember. It's a shambles. Nadal would win tomorrow if he was there
    Thanks. It's not just me then. I've seen gaa pitch goalmouths in better shape then these baselines. It has been very dry and warm in London for most of the tournament though.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Agree, best contest of the last few days, super rallies, great skills and shot choices but Garbine has lost any nerves and she has the engine and the endurance to shade this. Delighted for hows shes performing, shes an inspiring player.
    It's hard not to root for garbine. She comes across as a very likeable person.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Venus gone into the '' poor little me'' mode that she enters when things aren't going her way.

Thanks. It's not just me then. I've seen gaa pitch goalmouths in better shape then these baselines. It has been very dry and warm in London for most of the tournament though.

I wouldnt accept that as an excuse, the court is protected from any rain in other years anyway and water application is controlled, the staff could and should be doing better than this. Centre court has been playable in all conditions for many years now thanks to the roof, never seen it in such poor nick.

Also some of the calls that hawkeye has reversed have been shocking. I mean a few weren't even close to being in/out.

Also some of the calls that hawkeye has reversed have been shocking. I mean a few weren't even close to being in/out.

Venus Williams is gone off the boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Venus gone into the '' poor little me'' mode that she enters when things aren't going her way.
    The two Williams sisters are narcissistic, self indulgent, ignorant, and bigots. They always feel like they have a sense of entitlement over anyone IMO. I will always root for the other player against either, although Venus isn't half as bad as Serena.

Should be GSM now. Muguruza is cool as a cucumber. Venus's movement all over the shop and forehand non-existent. Showing her age quite substantially now

• Advertisement

Venus wins only when it's easy and she can out play or over power someone, as soon as someone can compete history shows she quits easily.

Are we in some power-play for 10 minutes of Venus abuse or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I like Venus' eyeliner. Am I sexist?

The two Williams sisters are narcissistic, self indulgent, ignorant, and bigots. They always feel like they have a sense of entitlement over anyone IMO. I will always root for the other player against either, although Venus isn't half as bad as Serena.

Have always respected Serena but went off her big time a few years ago in her match with Watson here

Roaring (and i mean roaring!!!) "COME ON" after Watson errors. Completely trying to rile up the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have to say Venus looked edgy from the moment she walked out on court where as Muguruza was looking really focused and determined. From 5/5 in the first Venus began to look really tired so it's a bit hard to see how she come back from 3 / 0 down in the second set.

Fine performance and will be deserved champion. Bet number 1 seed along the way too

Always good to see a supreme performance worthy of a championship. Unlike that bartoli farce for example

Shelga wrote: »
    I like Venus' eyeliner. Am I sexist?

My missus hates it so it cancels it out.

Jesus Venus has dropped off a cliff. Garbine is playing good stuff.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Are we in some power-play for 10 minutes of Venus abuse or something?

She's looking for sympathy out there now, '' o poor little me'' winners fight in the face of defeat like Muguruza did in first set when faced with having to save 3 set points. History will show that Venus will down tools if she doesn't get her way, it's the approach of a child not a winner.

• Advertisement

"Got to feel bad for Williams, will she get a chance again"

Yeah I'm in bits for her and her multiple titles over the years

Advertisement