Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She's hitting balls out of play now, playing to the crowd for pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Taxi for Venus Williams. Jesus help us it's been a case of good luck and goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

The two Williams sisters are narcissistic, self indulgent, ignorant, and bigots. They always feel like they have a sense of entitlement over anyone IMO. I will always root for the other player against either, although Venus isn't half as bad as Serena.

And they were the strongest opponents of stricter off season drug testing. Including the time where Serena hid in her panic room from a drug testing official.

For that reason alone I would never support them.

As soon as she lost first set when she had multiple set points she gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Women's tennis is so poor to watch compared to the men's game

• Advertisement

McEnroe is listing the excuses for Venus Williams already. What about she was beaten by a better player on the day ?

Congrats to Muguruza, she deserved it by saving those sets points, she showed the traits of a champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Umpire is ****! Imagine that crap call being how you win the championship!

First set was good, second set a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Delighted to see Muguruza win.She showed great guts to save those break points in the first set and then break Venus straight after that. I hope she goes on a wins a fair few more grand slams the ladies game needs some new players to take over.

Venus clearly gave up in the second set, I wonder will she be slated for her poor effort or will she be patronized by the media.

How can you explain what Venus did in first set and what she did in second. It's a mental thing no doubt, not as if people wanted her to lose, but as soon as the big cheer went up for Muguruza when she won first set Venus threw her teddy out of the pram.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Women's tennis is so poor to watch compared to the men's game

In fairness if muguruza can keep this up it'll be great for women's tennis as the standard really has been poor for a while

Very good performance

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How can you explain what Venus did in first set and what she did in second. It's a mental thing no doubt, not as if people wanted her to lose, but as soon as the big cheer went up for Muguruza when she won first set Venus threw her teddy out of the pram.

Rubbish.

Garbine stretched her physically for that first set and it hurt her. Her shots depowered and it was clear the shoulder flared up, just observe the sweat she was in compared to first set. That was the difference to her other matches in this tournament.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Venus gone into the '' poor little me'' mode that she enters when things aren't going her way.
    Venus wins only when it's easy and she can out play or over power someone, as soon as someone can compete history shows she quits easily.
    She's looking for sympathy out there now, '' o poor little me'' winners fight in the face of defeat like Muguruza did in first set when faced with having to save 3 set points. History will show that Venus will down tools if she doesn't get her way, it's the approach of a child not a winner.
    She's hitting balls out of play now, playing to the crowd for pity.

Is the reality tv forum down or something? :confused: Seriously, stop posting that kind of nonsense in here.

Shelga wrote: »
    Umpire is ****! Imagine that crap call being how you win the championship!

First set was good, second set a complete joke.

Eva Asderaki is the best umpire on tour, admitedly she made a couple of mistakes in this match though. First time I've ever seen her make any.

Anyway, had a feeling Garbine would get the job done today, but not in such an emphatic fashion. Forehand help up really well. She now has a grand total of four career titles, two of which are slams!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted to see Muguruza win.She showed great guts to save those break points in the first set and then break Venus straight after that. I hope she goes on a wins a fair few more grand slams the ladies game needs some new players to take over.

Venus clearly gave up in the second set, I wonder will she be slated for her poor effort or will she be patronized by the media.

I don't really understand the thought process behind people posting nonsense like this to be honest. Seven time slam champions don't "give up". She was being overpowered, outplayed and her serve was way below par.

If she could get some consistency she could be a superstar in the making too. Still young, photogenic and good personality, as well as having a big game on the court

It was mentioned here during week how there was only 4 or 5 really recognisable wta players. Be good for the game to get a new big draw

Just watching garbine she seems like a very genuine person and you can see why she seems to be popular.

I don't really understand the thought process behind people posting nonsense like this to be honest. Seven time slam champions don't "give up". She was being overpowered, outplayed and her serve was way below par.

Giving up mightnt be the right term but I see his point

She lost a hard fought first set she probably should have won after missing a sitter forehand

Subconsciously you're thinking "I'm 37, I've won loads anyway..." and deep down you might just not push yourself as hard to get that 90mph forehand back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

That was some meltdown by Venus. Can't be physical, although her age might work against her playing a very decent 23 year old.
    It's a good job that hawk eye is available, some of the missed calls were a long way out. They should have gone to specsavers.
    The BBC'S commentary was blatantly biased, especially by Mcenroe and Austin. I can understand them wanting their girl to win but they refused to acknowledge what was happening right in front of them. Never once did they give Muguruza credit for her good play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Her attitude in the second set was dreadfully negative, she clearly lost heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Great to see Muguruza win. All that happened was that someone stood up to Venus. When faced down and challenged, she wilted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Venus finally showing her age but it took some tremendous play from Muggy to break her down. That 1st set was of the highest quality to be fair.

Is the reality tv forum down or something? :confused: Seriously, stop posting that kind of nonsense in here.

Eva Asderaki is the best umpire on tour, admitedly she made a couple of mistakes in this match though. First time I've ever seen her make any.

Anyway, had a feeling Garbine would get the job done today, but not in such an emphatic fashion. Forehand help up really well. She now has a grand total of four career titles, two of which are slams!

Why quote me like that. It's just my opinion, Venus has a history of quitting in the face of adversity. We're already hearing the convenient excuses. Of course you can voice your opinion too and we may differ but that's ok .

Why quote me like that. It's just my opinion, Venus has a history of quitting in the face of adversity. We're already hearing the convenient excuses. Of course you can voice your opinion too and we may differ but that's ok .

Because you speak utter tripe and you clearly know nothing about tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just after watching wheelchair doubles was some game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Try keep it friendly everyone.

Pretty amazing stat I saw on one of the other forums: None of the current Slam holders (Kerber, Serena, Ostapenko, Muguruza) are the current holders of any other WTA title!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Marcelo Melo and Lukasz Kubot beat Oliver Marach and Mate Pavic 5-7, 7-5, 7-6, 3-6, 13-11 to win the men's doubles. First Grand Slam for the pair and Melo returns to #1. 4 hours and 41 minutes. Tough loss for Pavic and Marach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Be interesting to see if Čilić can stand up to Federation Federer tomorrow and match him shot for shot. Roger has played some miraculous strokes this past couple of weeks but what'll happen if he's down a set and a break or two and staring down the barrel? Bit like Venus or even Nadal, he's enjoyed a comfortable enough passage so far. Up Čilić!

Yeah, should be an interesting one tomorrow. As usual, no one is giving Roger's opponent a chance, but given that Cilic beat him at the US Open and came within a point of doing so at the QF's here last year, he's certainly got a chance. Interesting that a lot of people picked Cilic as a possible champion before the tournament and now here he is in the final.

• Advertisement

Double bagel in the women's doubles - first since 1953.

Advertisement