Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Zoe, new wart?

Options

Comments

Mope wrote: »
    You must have been always against wind and intentially breaking and speeding up just for fun?

No I wasn't always against the wind or intentionally braking and speeding up for fun, I'm not in love with the Leaf, therefore have nothing to gain by saying the ioniq didn't get better efficiency than it did. If it had got 12 Kwh/100 Kms then that's what I would have reported and shown on the efficiency monitor but it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

And I believe you, but I am curious to see what influenced such results. Anyhow! Hope you get Zoe for a good spin.
    Googled stats yesterday, its 86 or 89hp and 220 something nM. Not sure about weight, but I hope car is fun to drive :)

I think a factor of everything, especially the fact I've well got over the efficient driving thing and seeing how much I can get from it, but I wasn't trashing it either, that's why I call it a good honest to God test drive of more normal driving.

I'll drive the Zoe as normally as I can, 200 kms to Ennis Via Portlaoise from Carlow, or 187 Via Abbeyleix , whatever way I go it will be about 40 Kms to the M7 then motorway until Limerick , though I normally go through Killaloe to avoid Limerick. Trip will be 188 to 200 kms to Ennis. Some lunch while I charge at 22 Kw then on to the Cliffs OF Moher unless the weather is bad.

A charge up in 2 hrs should give me the majority of the 40 Kwh , I'll need the time for food and to let the boys stretch their legs.

If anyone knows of anywhere fun to take a 1.5 and 3 year old in Clare let me know. The Cliffs come to mind but it's not exactly exciting for Children of that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Moher hill pet farm in liscannor http://www.moherfarm.com/

Aliwee caves? Never been there though so don't know how suitable for little ones.

If it's a nice day just a trip to Lahinch beach? If you drive past the course golf and park just past the bridge the beach there is accessible regardless of the tide.

Dromore woods near Ruan for a walk in the woods. The castle trail is nice and around 2.5km long.

Thats a few ideas off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

My average in the Ioniq average in the Ioniq after 207 Kms was 15.3 Kwh/100 Kms

Eh, yeah. Your one day test drive. In the winter in cold and rain and wind. And you still believe those figures more than what all of us Ioniq owners are reporting after thousands of kilometers each in all sorts of circumstances? You must be mad, lad ;)

• Advertisement

Lol the I weather the last few weeks isn't so different Unkel.

This is why I said real life test because under the same conditions Ioniq drivers are getting nearly 210 kms I'd get 140 in the leaf.

We have mostly unfavourable conditions in Ireland.

I don't hear any Ioniq owners offering me their car for a week so I can test again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

And back to the Zoe!...

Not sure if this was posted anywhere else on the forum but if you have a 22kWh Zoe (battery owned) you can now pay to have it upgraded to the new 40kWh pack for €10k!

That is a bit saucy isn't it? Presumably they get your 22kWh pack back as well!

With battery prices dropping I would have expected it to be better priced than that even accounting for the fact that its not in Renault's best interest for you to upgrade at all... ultimately they want to sell you a new car.... but still, €10k!

Imagine Toyota make you pay about 2,500 for a NiMh 1 Kwh battery if the old one fails !

Nissan will let you install a new 24 Kwh LI battery for 5,500.

Zoe is a no go for Tomorrow, no one will call me back so I've lost interest now.... Stuff it. I called yesterday and twice today.

Oops I meant Friday and today.

Look what I found at Turvey FCP. Had spare time so I said why not top up here :)

Looking at FCP dash I guess it is not 40kW version as was pulling only 21kW? I know very little about Zoe.
    And didn't see any lights to indicate state of charge on the car itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Mope wrote:
    Looking at FCP dash I guess it is not 40kW version as was pulling only 21kW? I know very little about Zoe. And didn't see any lights to indicate state of charge on the car itself

It looks like the one from the garage across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mope wrote: »
    Look what I found at Turvey FCP. Had spare time so I said why not top up here :)

Looking at FCP dash I guess it is not 40kW version as was pulling only 21kW? I know very little about Zoe.
    And didn't see any lights to indicate state of charge on the car itself
    Hmm
    There were reports that the q90 (43kW model) didnt support above 30-33 kW charging in reality, but no reports of slow charging on the R90

KCross wrote: »
    if you have a 22kWh Zoe (battery owned) you can now pay to have it upgraded to the new 40kWh pack for €10k!

That's madness! Did I not see on Renault's French website a few days ago that they offer it over there for €3.5k?

Edit - I didn't read the small print. It is only €3.5k to upgrade the battery from 22kWh to 41kWh, but only if you're on battery lease. And your monthly lease will go up. Could still be a good option for someone.

From the Renault.fr website they rather honestly give the car a 400km NEDC range (that's official) and a 300km summer range and 200km winter range. That's for France, so it explains why the Zoe 41kWh had a very poor range during winter tests in Norway by Nyland - where it is a good bit colder again. Wouldn't be a great winter car here either. Poor range for the price and not a very efficient car. Looks lovely though :D

unkel wrote: »
    That's madness! Did I not see on Renault's French website a few days ago that they offer it over there for €3.5k?
    That's for leased batteries only, with an increased monthly lease for the 41kWh

I disagree, Zoe 40 Kwh is rather perfect for Ireland, relatively mild climate and tonnes of 22 KW AC stations.

It is if it was €20k, not €27k. That's mad money for a basic low spec supermini

But maybe it just hit the sweet spot for some people who only need a small car and do long distances?

Well, some might argue that having the ability to charge in 2 hrs the guts of 40 Kwh from most of the AC points and having twice the range is worth it. Drop the speed a bit and the potential for 270-280 kms becomes reality.

That's over twice what the 24 Kwh Leaf can get at that speed.

I do too like the adaptive cruise in the Ioniq. And the Ioniq is nicer inside and the android and apple auto is cool. The Zoe is a nice looking car even if it is small.

Those crunching up the miles should definitely consider the 40 Kwh Zoe with 45 Kwh charger of course.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    It looks like the one from the garage across the road.
    You are right, just before I was finished two lads came from the garage across, one jumped in Zoe and went to park it in garage.

@Mad: No news re Zoe? Didn't get it yet?

No Autoimage Carlow never bothered to confirm the test drive, despite calling them 3 times and they telling me they'd call me back , I'm not impressed. Even a lot of good publicity on Boards.ie and facebook wasn't enough to convince them to be nice lol , Oh well. Very few sales people are committed like Paul in Barlo Kilkenny that's for sure, they want easy sales, Dacia........ they're obviously not interested in chasing people to buy electrics.

I suppose they're not bothered in a expensive (clio) anyway and will see most clios sold being 1.2 basic petrols costing 15K , another 13 K will buy some people many years of petrol. The 22 Kwh Zoe doesn't have the range to convince many to change to electric either and it will still cost more than 15 K.

I could be changing jobs soon and will have a bit of time off , if so I will try get a 40 Kwh form somewhere, but Autoimage is about 4 Km away it's convenient.

Zoe managing 426km hypermiled on one charge :cool:

41kWh battery doing 9.6kWh/100km not quite as good as the Ioniq's 28kWh battery doing 6.6kWh/100km, but the range is further than Ioniq's hypermiled 402km

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

They're on the 17 inch alloys; that would have cost them 4 to 8% in range.

lol all this hypermiling is ridiculously funny. Who drives like this in reality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

lol all this hypermiling is ridiculously funny. Who drives like this in reality ?

Three years ago there was a lad here that was saying that there was plenty of occasions to do hypermiling. But then he was driving a Prius...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89796369&postcount=15

Hypermiling to me didn't involve driving at those speeds or anything close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I used to go to great lengths at the start to increase my range.

Then I realised that if you need the range, hypermile.

If you don't, (which is 90% of the time) enjoy the damn car and who cares what range I get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

https://twitter.com/ruralleafowner/status/897781921673080832

He posts a video about his Leaf around once a month. Thinking about changing.

How long on a rapid?
    1hour 5 mins to 80% if you have a Q model, and approx 1hour 40minutes for the R.

Hardly "rapid" to be fair. I would bet the farm on the next Zoe (as this is just a facelift) coming with CCS DC and 22kW AC.

Over an hour is not rapid. A charge from near empty to 80% in about 15 minutes is rapid imho and will hopefully improve a lot over the next 5 years.

Ioniq can go from 15%-80% in 15 minutes on some of the current chargers (like the one in Midway). 5-90% on the slowest fast chargers in Ireland takes about 30 minutes. Hardly rapid but faster than any other EV (the relatively small capacity helps there of course)

unkel wrote: »
    Over an hour is not rapid. A charge from near empty to 80% in about 15 minutes is rapid imho and will hopefully improve a lot over the next 5 years.

Ioniq can go from 15%-80% in 15 minutes on some of the current chargers (like the one in Midway). 5-90% on the slowest fast chargers in Ireland takes about 30 minutes. Hardly rapid but faster than any other EV (the relatively small capacity helps there of course)
    +1
    Ioniq is the first "rapid" charging car. The 30kWh leaf is not far behind in all accounts.

But I believe there are massive improvements coming aswell and what we know as rapid today will be derided in future years.

The difference with the Zoe is that it's a bigger battery but with old hat charging speed. 1 hour is acceptable after 400 km for me, but it's not worth shouting from the rooftops.

I would bet that for any distance greater than 300km an Ioniq would be years faster than a Zoe despite being >25% less capacity, due to the charging speed.

• Advertisement

And the top speed :D

Advertisement