Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Zoe, new wart?

Comments

Don't get me wrong, the motor in the Zoe is leaps and bounds better than the petrol or diesel Clio but the price is just far too high because it's equivalent to the petrol clio. Most petrol clios are not fast anyway so I guess the power of the Zoe reflects what normal Clio buyers would buy. But my opinion is that it's not necessary to have such low power in an EV with the cheap cost of electricity.

At least the Leaf / Ioniq are comparable on price to the diesels......

I would like to see the current Gen leaf live on , re-branded and sold for 18K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Hi Dexter, you still fully charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This is ready to go now. Anyone test drive ?

Real world range ?

What's the general pricing breakdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Rang a dealer who said they'll be getting their test car next week and will start the 24 hr test drives then. I'm gonna take it from Dublin to limerick and see what the real world range is!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nice one, report back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ei9go

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Rang a dealer who said they'll be getting their test car next week and will start the 24 hr test drives then. I'm gonna take it from Dublin to limerick and see what the real world range is!

Used 39 kWh in the 22 kWh Zoe the past few days and have driven 240 km.
    Mixture of the M9 , N Roads and city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Read the review in the times yesterday.. nice car/comfort/range but high price for small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Read the review in the times yesterday.. nice car/comfort/range but high price for small car.

Haven't read that review, but the range of the car is disappointing from the reviews I have seen and the price is far too high. Such a shame, I was hoping the new Zoe would be the next real reason the sheeples could have gone for EVs :(

Am I right in thinking the range, with the new battery is over 200 miles, and does it take a charge from 44k CP, as per the first model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

reboot wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the range, with the new battery is over 200 miles, and does it take a charge from 44k CP, as per the first model?

Range is 160-200 depending on driving style​. There's 2 different motors. Both can take 22kw from SCP s but only 1 can fast charge, not sure what the max is.. but yes at 44kw at least.

• Advertisement

With the cheapest Zoe, I'm getting over 90 miles at present with an average charge time in the street 22kva, of 40 mins, everyone is different, but I've suffered range anxiety once in 4 years..In Winter you loose 20%, but the range figure in practice is to be taken with a pince of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just read this on Renault.ie.

Go further with ZOE

Renault is proud to offer an affordable electric vehicle with a 400km NEDC range on one charge with real life estimates of up to 300km in summer and 200km in winter^^.

Are they being cautious or optimistic when they reckon you lose 100km range between seasons?
    And is that the same 40kWh battery suggested for the new Leaf?

No one really knows about the leaf but it makes sense it will have 40 kWh but it will most likely be optional. Nissan did demonstrate a working prototype 69 kWh battery but since they're selling off their battery making part of the business it's anyone's guess but it would be safe to assume 40 kWh will be available.

In very cold climates you might get closer to 200 kms if the temps are below 0 for most of the winter but in our climate the heat pump is very effective with temps below 0 only for a few hrs of the morning.

I estimate 200 kms at 130 kph to 280 kms 80-100 kph. Based on the leaf efficiency, Zoe is a small bit more efficient so range could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Guy wrote on Facebook today. Did Dublin-Cork (yes, I know) and had 48km range left. Speed 85-95km/h

Am I not getting something here? 40kW battery, 266km distance, that is far from great at that slow motorway speed?
    With good sunny day and steady 90km/h skilled IONIQ driver with only 28kW battery could make this trip... What's the problem?

His actual trip was 249kms, efficiency 14.5kWh/100.

:( ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

In to the wind all the way today. If I can see my fuel efficiency affected by headwinds in a petrol car then I could definitely see it happening in an electric.
    Drag co-ef not published but can be assured to be not as good as a Nissan Leaf.
    No articulated lorries to slipstream behind on a weekend.
    Billy-no-mates or a social sort; add 60 to 80kg if the latter.
    Also, may have the prettier but more wasteful larger alloy wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ei9go

Mope wrote: »
    Guy wrote on Facebook today. Did Dublin-Cork (yes, I know) and had 48km range left. Speed 85-95km/h

Am I not getting something here? 40kW battery, 266km distance, that is far from great at that slow motorway speed?
    With good sunny day and steady 90km/h skilled IONIQ driver with only 28kW battery could make this trip... What's the problem?

His actual trip was 249kms, efficiency 14.5kWh/100.

:( ?
    I applaud his patience and endurance but seriously this is exactly why EV's sales will not take off until you can do this at 120 kph.

I reckon, based on my own experience in the 22 kWh Zoe that the 40 kw will be pushed to do the length of the M9 on 40 kWh at 120 kph.

60 kWh is where you need to be in Ireland.

The different between 110 and 120 kph is small .

The 40 kWh should still do 200-220 km at 120 Kph. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I just hope its the one with 45 Kw Charger.

40 kwh is fine if you can get to 80 % in 20 mins , but having more capacity means greater independence from the network.

Mad. When are you testing it?
    Cannot wait for your review. All journalist bs is far from what EV owner can tell about new car

The different between 110 and 120 kph is small .
    Superminis have the aerodynamics of a brick. The difference between 110 and 120kmph is quite large.
    I could get similar fuel economy out of a v6 petrol saloon compared to a Panda on a trip I used to do east to west in Ireland regularly on the M4/M6
    The Zoe isn't a Tesla, Leaf or some of the new German ICE saloons with a drag co-efficient in the low .twenties.

His test is unfair on the Zoe; the Zoe is an urban commuter, not a long distance vehicle.

It doesn't help either that it is actually taller than the Clio on which it is based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,185 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I could live with 1 stop on that trip. I wouldn't be likely to do it without a stop anyway for the loo or the shop.

I drive Donegal to Cork once a year and with that mileage I could do it with 2 stops. Currently I just hire a car for the trip. Did it once in the Leaf and it was a pain in the hole.

I agree, the test is unfair. It's like using 1.2l Petrol small car for work related travels between far cities. The car isn't really build for it.

I'd love to see efficiency car shows after 1000km or so, or at least 500. With as much of normal driving as possible.
    I still think it's good thing that Zoe has 40kW in such a small factor.

Good future is waiting us, with better ranged EVs. I will most likely change myself if I see logic in new better EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Has anyone tested the Q90 ze40?? If so, what were your fast charging experience, did the car charge correctly at 43kW?

737max wrote: »
    Superminis have the aerodynamics of a brick. The difference between 110 and 120kmph is quite large.
    I could get similar fuel economy out of a v6 petrol saloon compared to a Panda on a trip I used to do east to west in Ireland regularly on the M4/M6
    The Zoe isn't a Tesla, Leaf or some of the new German ICE saloons with a drag co-efficient in the low .twenties.

His test is unfair on the Zoe; the Zoe is an urban commuter, not a long distance vehicle.

It doesn't help either that it is actually taller than the Clio on which it is based.

I was referring to the time V speed, the time difference between 110 and 120 Kph isn't much.

The potential for the Zoe at slower speeds though is substantially higher than the Ioniq.

At 15 Kwh/100 kms would get around 266 Kms which should be achievable at 100-110 Kph.

My average in the Ioniq average in the Ioniq after 207 Kms was 15.3 Kwh/100 Kms at 110-100-80 Kph and some 60 Kph on A, B, C roads. I know some harp on about it's efficiency but it's not that great, perhaps at higher speeds it has the advantage but not so much at slower speeds. And that was no hypermiling, normal driving.

No. lower speed doesn't help.
    There are prevailing winds in Ireland and if you driving in to them then your economy suffers.
    110kmph driving in to a 20kmph wind = not good consumption.

trust me. I've had enough trips heading east -west and west -east in Ireland on straight roads with no traffic to know.
    Nothing to do with my time during those drive except look at the trip computer.

Yeah, lower speeds help winds or no winds, on a windy day lower your speed and what happens ? on a calm day lower your speed and what happens ? yes your range improves. Lower speed means less energy regardless of wind, now the same speed and higher wind, that's a different story.

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp
    wind speeds yesterday

about 16 to 17 kmph and prevailing winds come from the west.
    drop speed to 110kmph and your airspeed is still effectively 126kmph

This is something which all all hypermilers account for in their calculations

My average in the Ioniq average in the Ioniq after 207 Kms was 15.3 Kwh/100 Kms at 110-100-80 Kph and some 60 Kph on A, B, C roads. I know some harp on about it's efficiency but it's not that great, perhaps at higher speeds it has the advantage but not so much at slower speeds. And that was no hypermiling, normal driving.

That is some weird stats you have there. 15.3 average for 207km of trip which never was covered doing 120, always lower than that. You must have been always against wind and intentially breaking and speeding up just for fun?
    207km is my typical 2 days ofcommute +/-. And its always motorway and m50, no city driving. I never go above 13 even if some mornings im late to work and get sport mode on for some overtakes. Not that it matters much now, but just to show how much variables can be out there.

Mope wrote: »
    Mad. When are you testing it?
    Cannot wait for your review. All journalist bs is far from what EV owner can tell about new car

I'm hoping to pick it up Tomorrow evening but they never called to confirm, I'll call them tomorrow.

Plan about 500 kms trip Wednesday. If it's not available Wednesday will have to be another time.

I'll give as good a review as I did the Ioniq, but someone merged my thread and buried it with the "Ioniq " thread.

Some Ioniq owners dismissed my economy at 15.3 Kwh/100 kms over 207 Kms but it was an honest to God review and I had nothing to gain by posting non realistic BS economy figures.

I drove in a bit of rain and Unkel said it was a torrential downpour, temperature was 10 deg C and Unkel said it was Artic conditions, drove in some wind and Unkel said it was a hurricane ! :D

As if I was trying to falsify my results ! :eek:

I did say that by the time I got to work that the economy showed about 2-2.5 Kwh more efficient than the leaf for the same conditions.

• Advertisement

:) one post above I've asked about your 15kW too. Anyhow!
    Hope that you enjoy the car. Do you have it for a week?

Advertisement