Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

lxflyer wrote: »
    Fair point regarding the walk at either end.

But, again playing devil's advocate, would people from neighbourhoods along the Maynooth line going to work west of Capel Street, or to the Clanbrassil St or Thomas St areas be using the train in the first place?

I doubt it to be honest, as the buses along the Lucan and Blanchardstown QBCs bring them much closer, and will still do even with the LUAS extension.

As I said - the real winners are anyone working in the Phibsboro, going to DIT Grangegorman and those working in the Parnell Street areas.

They may begin to use the luas + train if its quicker. It also may get use from people using the service from afield like Dunboyne, M3 Parkway, Kilcock, Enfield and Longford etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Anyone working in the city centre up to Harcourt Street would presumably get the train to one of the three city centre stations and walk.

By transferring to LUAS they're incurring additional costs up to EUR8 per week if using LEAP pay-as-you-go (capping doesn't even come into play!).

I have to say I still think the main market for transfers will be people going to the Phibsboro, Grangegorman and north city centre areas.

Tbh it's a good point regarding people working in places like Harcourt Street. I work there and if I had the choice of 12-14 extra mins on the train standing plus another 15 minute walk, or 21 minutes on the LUAS sitting, plus just a 4 minute walk, I'd pick the latter. Comfort is a big factor when the time is pretty much the same. You'd pay the extra 50c or 1e to not have to stand and walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

There is virtually nowhere that would require going to the city centre and back out on the LUAS again.

There are already buses linking the DART line area with those areas you mention above.

Buses are just not reliable. Only this very minute I've been left screwed by a 16 that didn't show. Get the next one in 20 mins and I'm late for a dinner, so a €10-15 taxi is the net result. Throw in morning rush hour and insufficient space on many buses and drivers driving past stops. A LUAS from Bray would be well utilised, albeit far from a priority relative to more important projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I quickly looked at previous posts and I could not see this posted if it has sorry for the repeat question but I was wondering is there any plans in the future to put a spur on this line between the Liffey and the green to run to the new poolbeg development ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Buses are just not reliable. Only this very minute I've been left screwed by a 16 that didn't show. Get the next one in 20 mins and I'm late for a dinner, so a ?10-15 taxi is the net result. Throw in morning rush hour and insufficient space on many buses and drivers driving past stops. A LUAS from Bray would be well utilised, albeit far from a priority relative to more important projects.

I'm not saying don't build the LUAS to Bray - anything but.

What I am saying is that I very much doubt there are large numbers of people taking the DART into town from Bray or Dun Laoghaire and then taking a LUAS back south to Dundrum, Sandyford or Cherrywood as another poster suggested.

There are numerous buses along the DART line that would connect those areas with the DART line and that no one in their right mind would take such a convoluted route when far easier and more direct options exist.

I'm just reigning in some of the exaggerations that people come up with.

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    I quickly looked at previous posts and I could not see this posted if it has sorry for the repeat question but I was wondering is there any plans in the future to put a spur on this line between the Liffey and the green to run to the new poolbeg development ?

Nothing at present.

Probably more likely to be a red line spur if it were to ever happen.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Tbh it's a good point regarding people working in places like Harcourt Street. I work there and if I had the choice of 12-14 extra mins on the train standing plus another 15 minute walk, or 21 minutes on the LUAS sitting, plus just a 4 minute walk, I'd pick the latter. Comfort is a big factor when the time is pretty much the same. You'd pay the extra 50c or 1e to not have to stand and walk.

Horses for courses - many people will choose the walk rather than paying twice. Plenty of people are price sensitive.

The times would be comparable - you're looking at 35-45 mins using the LUAS, including waiting time while the train and walk would be around 35 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Nothing at present.

Isn't that what they're planning for without it being part of any official plans as of yet? Like don't they plan to build a new bridge at the mouth of the Liffey that will facilitate just such an extension by including space for Luas?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Isn't that what they're planning for without it being part of any official plans as of yet? Like don't they plan to build a new bridge at the mouth of the Liffey that will facilitate just such an extension by including space for Luas?

There are plans for a public transport bridge across the mouth of the Dodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

For integrated public transport to work in this city they really need to tackle the cost of transferring between modes. In Toronto you pick up a transfer ticket for using a given mode of transport and that lets you to transfer to another mode for free. IE- You can pay 3.25 for your streetcar ticket into a subway station and then take the subway at no additional cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Nothing at present.

If they do a red line spur how would they do it ,would it be a bridge that lifts or would there be possibilities to do a raised bridge that would be high enoght for ships to go under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If they do a red line spur how would they do it ,would it be a bridge that lifts or would there be possibilities to do a raised bridge that would be high enoght for ships to go under

Perhaps they could replace the bus lane with tracks on The Samuel Backett

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Stephen15 wrote: »

If it was located near the point then mayble but not practical. They will just build a bridge than can open like existing ones already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Stephen15 wrote: »

If it was located near the point then mayble but not practical. They will just build a bridge than can open like existing ones already there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I have moved some posts of a more general Luas nature to a new thread.

Future Luas expansion in GDA strategy 2016-2035

Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Fit-out of stations, tracks and wiring around phibsboro and Cabra is racing along, I suspect we may see test running soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

trellheim wrote: »
    Fit-out of stations, tracks and wiring around phibsboro and Cabra is racing along, I suspect we may see test running soon

Mrs Markpb overheard two drivers talking at the weekend and one of them claimed to have been a section of the route already. Seems very unlikely to me so I assume she misheard. Test running (at snails pace) is scheduled for mid June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

markpb wrote: »
    Mrs Markpb overheard two drivers talking at the weekend and one of them claimed to have been a section of the route already. Seems very unlikely to me so I assume she misheard. Test running (at snails pace) is scheduled for mid June.

That's like 3 weeks away though..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

If you go and look at Faussaugh Road bridge you will see it is nearly ready to go ...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Six months seems an inordinate amount of time for testing the new lines. Were the original lines that long?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Six months seems an inordinate amount of time for testing the new lines. Were the original lines that long?

They took a lot less time on the times they gave for the works on the crossover of the red and green lines at OCB and RHB last year. Maybe they are just padding it to allow unforeseen problems.

They took a lot less time on the times they gave for the works on the crossover of the red and green lines at OCB and RHB last year. Maybe they are just padding it to allow unforeseen problems.

Full testing won't start for a few months yet - the gauge test will be first in June sometime and then they will have to get everything else finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

On a note that has bugged me the whole time. Was a route solely down Marlborough St ever considered rather than splitting it up OCS for northbound trams?

Also can anyone state why it could not have used Marlborough St solely, bar say the pinch-point at the junction with Parnell. Though that might have been solved with a CPO on the Welcome Inn.

Anyway, just something I have wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I don't need think the turn into Parnell Street is a pinch point, if you walk over that way you'd see there's plenty of space at that turn. I imagine the problem would be that running two Luas lines down such a narrow street would compromise space for pedestrians while also inducing greater footfall. And the question would have to be asked if the space on that street is capable of handling such heavy traffic.

I don't need think the turn into Parnell Street is a pinch point, if you walk over that way you'd see there's plenty of space at that turn. I imagine the problem would be that running two Luas lines down such a narrow street would compromise space for pedestrians while also inducing greater footfall. And the question would have to be asked if the space on that street is capable of handling such heavy traffic.
    Re above. That was my only observation. It's easily navigable I would say but you never know sometimes with these decisions.

---

Re narrowness of the Street itself? Do you think so really? If it was solely tram and pedestrian it would seem to be to be plenty wide and also opening up an under-utilised area thus increasing security etc.

* measures Street *

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Re above. That was my only observation. It's easily navigable I would say but you never know sometimes with these decisions.

---

Re narrowness of the Street itself? Do you think so really? If it was solely tram and pedestrian it would seem to be to be plenty wide and also opening up an under-utilised area thus increasing security etc.

* measures Street *

DES has a staff car park. And other businesses would require access to be maintained

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

If you're talking about the turn from Parnell Square East into Parnell Street (towards the Parnell Luas stop), the small area of road inside the track (rendered useless by the necessary buildout for the platform) should be pedestrianised to accommodate the increased footfall towards the said stop - a decent curve for turning traffic could be maintained - perhaps 9m radius - that said, the footpath is the most important thing to consider at this stage.

DES has a staff car park. And other businesses would require access to be maintained

Access can be maintained by various means either re-routing the traffic flow, or just accepting tram priority to other road traffic as happens on James' St, Steeven's Lane and Abbey St Upper.

Again, my question was, does anyone know the reason it wasn't or whether it was ever considered to use Marlborough St solely for Luas?

EDIT: I did find this:

http://www.luascrosscity.ie/about/public-documents/route-selection/
    RPA wrote:
    City Centre (Line BX) Section of Line BXD

In January 2005, following the opening of the Luas Red Line and Luas Green Line to passenger services in 2004, RPA undertook an attitudinal survey of Luas passengers and sought opinions on a cross city Luas line and views on possible station locations. The overwhelming response was one of strong support for a cross city Luas line which would link the Luas Green and Luas Red Lines.

RPA then set about the task of identifying possible route options for Luas City Centre (Line BX) with key considerations in mind which included length of route, journey time, trip attractors and generators, likely passenger demand, the operation of the line and environmental issues.

In November 2005 RPA launched a public consultation process focusing on Line BX. The process was promoted and facilitated by a mix of print and radio advertising, newsletter distribution and website communications along with Public Open Days and Displays and meetings with individual interested parties and groups. Members of the public were invited to comment on five possible route options from St. Stephen’s Green to either O’Connell Street or Marlborough Street which and been identified prior to the commencement of the consultation process and were also prompted to come forward with any alternatives or variants which they felt should be considered. Open Days were held in December 2005 and in February 2006.

During the course of the extensive pubic consultation campaign a sixth route option was identified. Following further assessment of the possible alignments, public consultation activities focused on two of these six options and an additional Open-Day centring on these two route options was held at the end of January 2007.

Gotta find me these 6 route options so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Access can be maintained by various means either re-routing the traffic flow, or just accepting tram priority to other road traffic as happens on James' St, Steeven's Lane and Abbey St Upper.

Those streets are wide enough to allow for traffic to stop with out blocking the Luas. There is just about enough room to run 2 lines down Malborough St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

Wasn't the original idea to have luas lines on the inside of both lanes on o'connell street?

Advertisement