Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Avada wrote: »
    It has a railway order valid to 2021 as far as I remember

So they'll wanna get moving

Another when Luas cross city comes in will this mean STT security guards more or less have the right to patrol the streets of Dublin CC or at least the streets the luas will be running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So they'll wanna get moving

They've abandoned that railway order and are starting fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

monument wrote: »

417185.jpg

That was a ludicrous proposal (illustrated above) for O'Connell Bridge which, in terms of manpower and materials, would have effectively involved construction of an 8-level station at OCB - and that's not counting the cost of building the underground platforms under the river - for metro trains which would have been about a third of the length of the complete station.

But, apart from that, it is interesting to note the 4 organisations/plans which were shown at the bottom of the picture posted by Monument.

A lot of money was spent on Transport21, including a big launch with bigwigs at Dublin Castle and lots of stickering of buses. That was binned, with almost nothing achieved.

Nothing happened either with the NDP to 2013. And the RPA have gone as well.

Of the four shown in Monument's graphic, only The National Transport Authority are still around, but you'd also have to remember the demise of the Dublin Transportation Office and the Dublin Transport Authority in only the first 17 years of this century.

It is not indicative of a country which is serious about public transport in its capital city, or the country as a whole, that so many plans could have been produced - and that so many organisations could have been created and closed or subsumed into others - with such little result. It is appalling.

And there is probably some legal mechanism which allows the railway order for the metro to exist, even though the organisation which applied for it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That was a ludicrous proposal (illustrated above) for O'Connell Bridge which, in terms of manpower and materials, would have effectively involved construction of an 8-level station at OCB - and that's not counting the cost of building the underground platforms under the river - for metro trains which would have been about a third of the length of the complete station.

But, apart from that, it is interesting to note the 4 organisations/plans which were shown at the bottom of the picture posted by Monument.

A lot of money was spent on Transport21, including a big launch with bigwigs at Dublin Castle and lots of stickering of buses. That was binned, with almost nothing achieved.

Nothing happened either with the NDP to 2013. And the RPA have gone as well.

Of the four shown in Monument's graphic, only The National Transport Authority are still around, but you'd also have to remember the demise of the Dublin Transportation Office and the Dublin Transport Authority in only the first 17 years of this century.

It is not indicative of a country which is serious about public transport in its capital city, or the country as a whole, that so many plans could have been produced - and that so many organisations could have been created and closed or subsumed into others - with such little result. It is appalling.

JUST DROP IT!!!

The RPA aren't gone they merged with the NRA to form TII.

The RPA aren't gone they merged with the NRA to form TII.

Oh yes of course, the TII. Yet another quango whose remit includes providing public transport infrastructure in Dublin. The list goes on and on.

Oh yes of course, the TII. Yet another quango whose remit includes providing public transport infrastructure in Dublin. The list goes on and on.

I know its a bit of a joke how many different public transport providers in the Dublin area. Heres a list
    NTA
    Dublin Bus
    Irish Rail
    Bus Eireann
    Transdev
    TII
    Eirebus
    First Group
    Dublin Coach
    Dualway

Thats ten operators. And then theres the ones that no longer exist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I know its a bit of a joke how many different public transport providers in the Dublin area. Heres a list
    NTA
    Dublin Bus
    Irish Rail
    Bus Eireann
    Transdev
    TII
    Eirebus
    First Group
    Dublin Coach
    Dualway

Can I ask what transport the NTA and TII provide?!

I think the number of operators is positive, it cannot be a case of DB for the whole of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

NTA
    Dublin Bus
    Irish Rail
    Bus Eireann
    Transdev
    TII
    Eirebus
    First Group
    Dublin Coach
    Dualway

The NTA and TII are not operators. NTA is a regulator, and TII is an infrastructure agency.

Telchak wrote: »
    The NTA and TII are not operators. NTA is a regulator, and TII is an infrastructure agency.

Did i say operators they are providers which i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Did i say operators they are providers which i said.

They are not providers, at least not in the sense with which you equate them to operators.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Can I ask what transport the NTA and TII provide?!

I think the number of operators is positive, it cannot be a case of DB for the whole of Dublin.

The NTA own a large proportion of DB and BE buses buses so they do provide public transport in Dublin. We should be going for a more integrated network. TII own all the luas infustructure including stops I not not if they own trams also so yes they do provide transport. Actually you could nearly include all four councils in that bracket aswell DCC own bus shelters so they help provide transport aswell. Most cities only have one transport provider and the service could tendered but not a load of state owned quangos involved just one. All private providers should be made accept leap aswell or have their licence revoked.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The NTA own a large proportion of DB and BE buses buses so they do provide public transport in Dublin. We should be going for a more integrated network. TII own all the luas infustructure including stops I not not if they own trams also so yes they do provide transport. Actually you could nearly include all four councils in that bracket aswell DCC own bus shelters so they help provide transport aswell. Most cities only have one transport provider and the service could tendered but not a load of state owned quangos involved just one. All private providers should be made accept leap aswell or have their licence revoked.
    Go on, so. List a few of the cities that only have one public transport 'provider' in the sense you're speaking of.

Tell us about these cities that has a single public transport provider that owns and operates buses, trains, trams and all associated infrastructure, regulates itself AND has no other private bus operators competing with it.

Edit: And roads and taxi regulation. I think that covers everything you've listed.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Go on, so. List a few of the cities that only have one public transport 'provider' in the sense you're speaking of.

Tell us about these cities that has a single public transport provider that owns and operates buses, trains, trams and all associated infrastructure, regulates itself AND has no other private bus operators competing with it.

Berlin
    Paris
    London
    Barcelona
    Lisbon
    Milan
    Rome
    Madrid
    Copenhagen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Berlin
    Paris
    London
    Barcelona
    Lisbon
    Milan
    Rome
    Madrid
    Copenhagen

From the TFL wiki:
    TfL has responsibility for London's network of principal road routes, for various rail networks including the London Underground, London Overground, Docklands Light Railway and TfL Rail, for London's trams, buses and taxis, for cycling provision, and for river services. The underlying services are provided by a mixture of wholly owned subsidiary companies (principally London Underground), by private sector franchisees (the remaining rail services, trams and most buses) and by licensees (some buses, taxis and river services). TfL is also responsible, jointly with the national Department for Transport (DfT), for commissioning the construction of the new Crossrail line, and will be responsible for franchising its operation once completed.

I'd imagine the rest of those cities would have something similar, a mix of public and private bodies.

Berlin
    Paris
    London
    Barcelona
    Lisbon
    Milan
    Rome
    Madrid
    Copenhagen

I'll give you London. It's franchised but it qualifies. I suggest that you actually look into the other ones. Off the top of my head, I know that at least half of them don't qualify the criteria I set based on your posts. So this statement still remains false:
    Most cities only have one transport provider

I'll give you London. It's franchised but it qualifies. I suggest that you actually look into the other ones. Off the top of my head, I know that at least half of them don't qualify the criteria I set based on your posts. So this statement still remains false:

Its not really the privates i have a problem with its the sheer amount of state owned quangos involved. Most of the cities i mentioned have a similar model to London. I cant think of any cities with five state owned providers of public transport most cities only have one or two. Each one if those providers has an overpaid board of directors and the usual that goes with state owned bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Any news on when delivery of the new trams is expected? And where will they be commissioned & stored, all at the new facility in Broombridge or will some go to Sandyford?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we stick to the Luas BXD line - Cross city.

Not bickering about other matters. MN and DU have their own threads, and quangos are off topic here.

Start another thread on quangos if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Has anyone pointed out how ugly the new Luas signs are that are popping up everywhere? Green, yellow and blue - v.tacky and cheap looking.

Tusky wrote: »
    Has anyone pointed out how ugly the new Luas signs are that are popping up everywhere? Green, yellow and blue - v.tacky and cheap looking.

The Cross City signs? They should be gone once Cross City is finished. A construction site isn't really the place for expensive designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The Cross City signs? They should be gone once Cross City is finished. A construction site isn't really the place for expensive designs.

I assumed they would be replaced with permanent signs but with the same design? Would be glad if that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I was in town and the network signs are a bit misleading (to me anyway).
    The one way stops (Westmoreland Street for example) are shown with a full circle when really they should have a semi-circle. I thought that was the standard illustration but maybe I am wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MICKEYG wrote: »
    I was in town and the network signs are a bit misleading (to me anyway).
    The one way stops (Westmoreland Street for example) are shown with a full circle when really they should have a semi-circle. I thought that was the standard illustration but maybe I am wrong.
    Nah, you're right. They should be semi. But all those signs will be replaced with the final design soon anyway.

I assumed they would be replaced with permanent signs but with the same design? Would be glad if that's not the case.

There's no reason why the Cross City name or signs should be used after construction. Everything should have standard Luas design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

I'm wondering why they preferred Boombridge over going out the Navan Road

Simple, its where the old Broadstone alignment goes. Cheap and easy is the name of the game when it comes to public transport in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

I think the Luas Cross City graphic design is quite nice actually, nice vibrant blues and greens. The current Luas branding is quite weak in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I think the Luas Cross City graphic design is quite nice actually, nice vibrant blues and greens. The current Luas branding is quite weak in my opinion.

It was up to me I'd scrap all individual luas branding and go for more TFI branding.

Advertisement