Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    There is an understandable level of leniency with baby photos. Wouldnt worry about it. I've never seen baby photos rejected.

We are right up the wire getting our passports so have called in a favour with a friend of a friend to look into their status. She commented that the background in the baby picture (as opposed to the baby herself) was very dark and it may be rejected :eek: I'll be so peeved if it is as we paid €16 to get them done.

On a different note, they said that one of the passports which was a renewal should be with us by May 10th. The online tracker hasn't moved since it was received almost 3 weeks ago so it seems unlikely. Is the tracker actually accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Thankfully the Irish consitution doesn't agree with you. All Irish citizens are equal. An Irish citizen who is also the citizen of another country isn't given a lower priority when apply for a passport.

An similarly, all Irish citizens are equal in the eyes of the Constitution, regardless of how they acquired Irish citizenship. A third generation Irish citizen who acquired citizenship through FBR is as much entitled to an Irish passport as a native-born Irish citizen.

It would be (arguably) unconstitutional to discriminate against applicants based on how they became Irish citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Surely the bottom line is apply on time? It's not the passport office staff's fault you didn't do that. There's a reminder service on the passport site that will send you an email 3 months before your passport expires. Online renewal is fast and easy. Unless there's genuine medical or tragic circumstances they should not be letting anyone jump the queue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

fxotoole wrote: »
    An similarly, all Irish citizens are equal in the eyes of the Constitution, regardless of how they acquired Irish citizenship. A third generation Irish citizen who acquired citizenship through FBR is as much entitled to an Irish passport as a native-born Irish citizen.

It would be (arguably) unconstitutional to discriminate against applicants based on how they became Irish citizens.

Two very Boardsie replies to a practical suggestion.

I must take a constitutional case to the supreme court next time someone renewing online receives their passport before me using passport express.

I'm not talking about denying anyone their right to an Irish passport. I am proposing a practical interim solution where people who are not relying on an Irish passport as their sole means of travelling can wait an extra few weeks to receive their passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

athtrasna wrote: »
    Surely the bottom line is apply on time? It's not the passport office staff's fault you didn't do that. There's a reminder service on the passport site that will send you an email 3 months before your passport expires. Online renewal is fast and easy. Unless there's genuine medical or tragic circumstances they should not be letting anyone jump the queue

Absolute nonsense. Typical civil service attitude. If they state passport express has a X day turnaround it needs to have an X day turn around not 30+ days. You seem to miss the point that multiple people ARE applying on time and not receiving their passports.

People shouldn't have to second guess the competence of the passport office. It's not as if they don't know about the annual peaks in demand. It would be very easy to model the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just for people info. Applied for a new passport and a renewal of passport for the children on 4th April 2017 through passport express. Received them today on 9th May 2017. Get you applications for children in to passport office in plenty of time. Children cant use the new online system which seems to work very fast.

Glebee wrote: »
    Just for people info. Applied for a new passport and a renewal of passport for the children on 4th April 2017 through passport express. Received them today on 9th May 2017. Get you applications for children in to passport office in plenty of time. Children cant use the new online system which seems to work very fast.

F**k

Did you recieve the two of them together?

yellow hen wrote: »
    F**k

Did you recieve the two of them together?

Yes both together. Renewal passport was due since 2nd may, new passport date was 11th may but both arrived this morning. good job, travelling next week:eek:

Yes both together. Renewal passport was due since 2nd may, new passport date was 11th may but both arrived this morning. good job, travelling next week:eek:

We're travelling on the 23rd with expected passport date of the 24th :eek: I'm getting really worried now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Elig8

Is there any point calling into the passport office in Dublin in an effort to rush the process along. We're flying next week and baby's passport application us way back in the queue

Elig8 wrote: »
    Is there any point calling into the passport office in Dublin in an effort to rush the process along. We're flying next week and baby's passport application us way back in the queue

Out of curiousity, how do you know where it is in the queue? I just know from the tracker that ours haven't progressed but whether that changes tomorrow or next week is anyones guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

if you mhave proof of travel you prbably should have sent it in at the time.

definitely contact them and have proof with you

Riskymove wrote: »
    if you mhave proof of travel you prbably should have sent it in at the time.

definitely contact them and have proof with you

I sent our flights and tried to make an appt and got a resounding No. Just waiting and praying now.

Are the days when a local TD can bump you up the list well and truly over. I know of a few cases recently where this happened. i was going to go this route until passports issued this morning. It could be just coincidence though that the passports issued when the TDs office was making inquiries. Might be worth a try though, nothing to loose.

Are the days when a local TD can bump you up the list well and truly over. I know of a few cases recently where this happened. i was going to go this route until passports issued this morning. It could be just coincidence though that the passports issued when the TDs office was making inquiries. Might be worth a try though, nothing to loose.

We have a friend who is a td so he's on speedial for next week. I hate asking favours like that but at that stage the applications will be over 4 weeks.

We have a friend who is a td so he's on speedial for next week. I hate asking favours like that but at that stage the applications will be over 4 weeks.

cant do any harm. At least some of his assistants might be able to get to talk to somebody in the passport office

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

heyho wrote: »
    No, I tried everything in a similar circumstance (2 kids renewals). Ended up cancelling our holiday.

They point blank refused to assist in any way unless it related to a death or serious illness.

In the last few weeks they have shut down online chat and the phone lines. Twitter is only showing positive feedback but they have been answering PMs with stock answers.. I am really finding them quite obnoxious and inhuman to deal with. I don't give a **** that they are very busy, they should work longer hours, hire more staff and put people on the support lines/ chat/ twitter account that are decent, helpful humans rather than robots that throw out stock answers.. :mad::mad:

So, in summary :

You booked a holiday without having valid passports and it's someone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

heyho wrote: »
    No, I tried everything in a similar circumstance (2 kids renewals). Ended up cancelling our holiday.

They point blank refused to assist in any way unless it related to a death or serious illness.

In the last few weeks they have shut down online chat and the phone lines. Twitter is only showing positive feedback but they have been answering PMs with stock answers.. I am really finding them quite obnoxious and inhuman to deal with. I don't give a **** that they are very busy, they should work longer hours, hire more staff and put people on the support lines/ chat/ twitter account that are decent, helpful humans rather than robots that throw out stock answers.. :mad::mad:

Maybe then next time you should apply on time and not book a holiday without having valid passports. Stop blaming other people, the responsibility lies with yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elig8

I sent our flights and tried to make an appt and got a resounding No. Just waiting and praying now.

I popped n today they moved baby's passport onto a priority list. The guy said he'd be optimistic that I'll get a passport before Wed but wouldn't guarantee it. Fingers crossed!!!!

• Advertisement

I popped n today they moved baby's passport onto a priority list. The guy said he'd be optimistic that I'll get a passport before Wed but wouldn't guarantee it. Fingers crossed!!!!

Oh that's great. I didn't realise you could just pop in like that? I'm afraid they'll give out to me for being so late sending it in (although I did allow 5 weeks). Can you pop in at any time or did you make an appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Sent off for a passport on 15th March, still no sign of it, tracker says processing and have a flight on 23rd May.

What are my chances? Can I go to the passport office with proof of travel and pray?

And yes I know I shouldn't have booked with expiring passport, but surely 2 months turn around is taking the ****.

Sent off for a passport on 15th March, still no sign of it, tracker says processing and have a flight on 23rd May.

What are my chances? Can I go to the passport office with proof of travel and pray?

And yes I know I shouldn't have booked with expiring passport, but surely 2 months turn around is taking the ****.

That sounds very wrong. Was it a renewal or first time applic?

That sounds very wrong. Was it a renewal or first time applic?

Renewal, yeah I know there is a back log but 2 months through passport express is getting me worried. Would this be grounds to go get it in cork or dublin?

Renewal, yeah I know there is a back log but 2 months through passport express is getting me worried. Would this be grounds to go get it in cork or dublin?

Would you try contact them via direct message on twitter? I've done so and they've responded within about 5 working hours. I travel the same day but my applications are only in since April 18th. I'm seriously panicking now.

Would you try contact them via direct message on twitter? I've done so and they've responded within about 5 working hours. I travel the same day but my applications are only in since April 18th. I'm seriously panicking now.

Will try, I have no problem going for the rapid renewal but will not be paying as 2 months is incredibly outside of their timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Applied for me and kids on 30 March

Received mine today, think kids were dispatched today so tomorrow for theirs.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Applied for me and kids on 30 April.

Received mine today, think kids were dispatched today so tomorrow for theirs.

Did you do it paper application or online application?

Did you do it paper application or online application?

Were they renewals also? Is the queueing system flawed then?

• Advertisement

There does not seem to be any logic to the dates given by passport office for applications submitted and expected date. Are the passport office pulling the applications out of a hat. My applications for a renewel and a new passport were lodged with passport express on the 4th of april and i received them yesterday. How can people who have lodged before me not have received yet...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement