Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Ok thanks. My problem is that i booked flight with the old passport.Will this be a problem i wonder? Flights are to and from Spain, outgoing with Aer Lingus and return with Ryanair, i have the old passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

You can update (add/delete) details on Ryanair.com/App and aerlingus.com. if you have already checked in, you need to call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

You can update (add/delete) details on Ryanair.com/App and aerlingus.com. if you have already checked in, you need to call them.

Ya but ive scoured both sites and dont see that option :confused:

Rockfish wrote: »
    Ya but ive scoured both sites and dont see that option :confused:

Do you have a profile with each site? You need a profile, sign in and then edit your details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭C__MC

How do I renew my passport?

Do I need photographs signed by a Gard?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

C__MC wrote: »
    How do I renew my passport?

Do I need photographs signed by a Gard?

If over 18 and passport expired less than 5 years ago, you can apply online https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

cdsb46 wrote: »
    If over 18 and passport expired less than 5 years ago, you can apply online https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

if you do it online is your existing passport valid until you receive the new one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What kinda times are people seeing for passport express?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What kinda times are people seeing for passport express?

Delete the express, it means nothing any more. Turnaround time approx 17 working days for non first time applications. Check website for up to date timeline.

If it's a renewal for an over 18, online all the way, cheaper and faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

athtrasna wrote: »
    Delete the express, it means nothing any more. Turnaround time approx 17 working days for non first time applications. Check website for up to date timeline.

If it's a renewal for an over 18, online all the way, cheaper and faster.

Totally agree about the online renewal, mine was applied and returned in 7 Days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Does anyone know what the various stages of the passport application process are (and how long they tend to take)?

I applied for a renewal of a child's passport; application was received on 27 April and I checked the tracker today and its at 'Processing Application' with a date of today. They are estimating it'll be ready by 22 May (which would be quite a feat).
    This seems to be taking longer than their stated turnaround times and what I'm seeing on this thread.

I'm travelling in less than 4 weeks, so I guess I should be thinking about contacting them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭eeinke

Hi, just realised our kids passports are out of date this evening. Have just been to gardas to fill out form with photos etc. Does anyone know how long it takes to get passports sorted for flying to Sicily?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the next status after processing is printing. Then dispatched.

The processing categories are way to general and I've already sent back my tuppence worth that a little more detailed info would ease a lot of peoples questions and actually reduce their workload in having to answer simple questions.

so yes, best to drop a message on the contact form, maybe mentioning you are flying in 4 weeks, and they'll be back in about a day with an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

First up, it's not an emergency.

You can make an appointment and they'll process it for you but you have to add an additional €30 to the cost and the minimum turnaround is 3 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rataan

the next status after processing is printing. Then dispatched.

The processing categories are way to general and I've already sent back my tuppence worth that a little more detailed info would ease a lot of peoples questions and actually reduce their workload in having to answer simple questions.

so yes, best to drop a message on the contact form, maybe mentioning you are flying in 4 weeks, and they'll be back in about a day with an answer
    Do you know generally how long the processing stage takes?  The status on my girlfriend's passport only changed to Processing yesterday and we are flying on the 10th June.  We're getting very anxious about whether we're going to get her passport in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Rataan wrote: »
    Do you know generally how long the processing stage takes?  The status on my girlfriend's passport only changed to Processing yesterday and we are flying on the 10th June.  We're getting very anxious about whether we're going to get her passport in time.
    I'm a bit suspicious of the state change dates.
    I looked at my own one on May 29 and it said it was in 'processing' on 29 May.
    I looked again yesterday and it said it was in 'processing' on 30 May. It seems to be just spitting out the current date.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rataan

Phoebas wrote: »
    Rataan wrote: »
    I'm a bit suspicious of the state change dates.
    I looked at my own one on May 29 and it said it was in 'processing' on 29 May.
    I looked again yesterday and it said it was in 'processing' on 30 May. It seems to be just spitting out the current date.
    True.  It could be just an automated status change, the same way that the update time/date and status bar seem to be automated and have no bearing on what is actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

My wife and I sent our sons passport renewal form with Passport express, for some reason my wife included her own valid passport in the package that was sent……… ( I don’t know either)

She is due to travel to the UK on Friday.

The package is sitting in a mail room in Balbriggan so I would like to go and collect it if possible.

I understand this is ambitious, but we would like to try if possible! long and short is someone will have to get it from the mail!!

They can keep the application and take 3 months for all i care, just need the valid passport from the envelope

Anyone any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My wife and I sent our sons passport renewal form with Passport express, for some reason my wife included her own valid passport in the package that was sent……… ( I don’t know either)

The package is sitting in a mail room in Balbriggan so I would like to go and collect it if possible.

I understand this is ambitious, but we would like to try if possible! long and short is someone will have to get it from the mail!!

They can keep the application and take 3 months for all i care, just need the valid passport from the envelope

Anyone any advice?

I would have thought it highly unlikey they'll do this for you, no long or short about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Anyone any advice?

If she's not flying Ryanair she doesn't need a passport

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    If she's not flying Ryanair she doesn't need a passport

If you are flying out of Ireland, you need a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

If you are flying out of Ireland, you need a passport.

No you don't with aer lingus your driver's licence is fine. Ryanair insist on passport even though they should take driver's licences they won't

screamer wrote: »
    No you don't with aer lingus your driver's licence is fine. Ryanair insist on passport even though they should take driver's licences they won't

If you are flying to Spain, for example, a drivers license would not be accepted by border control, and with Spain, you need to give them advance pax info. Not any border officer in any country would accept a drivers license to enter their territory.

Correction, I checked, and yea for UK travel, a license and other pic ID seems to be ok. I jumped the gun and didn't see the destination was actually the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭eeinke

Thanks Eponymous but it kinda was stressful. Making an appointment was proving to be difficult. I didnt know one has to book online and when I did get around to it this AM in the passport office, there was no available slots. This caused alot of stress of people who were in similiar situations like me. I applied for appointment 3 times before I got one for today, obviously a cancellation one. But this system isnt the best and would need to be updated to cater for a fast track system for people who need passport within 3 days.
    TG mine are being processed now so hopefully we will get them friday. Thanks for responding
    also another thing, there was an older woman in the office today trying to make her appointment, she was very stressed and I helped her some, but there was no one there to help people like her who may not be computer literate.

Newry is (and Belfast and Derry and Omagh etc are) in the uk. No different than Glasgow or London or Cardiff or any other uk town or city

You do not need a passport for Newry, and similarily any other part of the uk if you are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Newry is (and Belfast and Derry and Omagh etc are) in the uk. No different than Glasgow or London or Cardiff or any other uk town or city

You do not need a passport for Newry, and similarily any other part of the uk if you are Irish.

Very much different as they are on the island of Ireland and no passport needed.

My wife and I sent our sons passport renewal form with Passport express, for some reason my wife included her own valid passport in the package that was sent??? ( I don?t know either)

Anyone any advice?

Actually someone wont have to get it! It's not an emergency and look at the practicals. Who do you expect is going to go through literally thousands of passports?

If it doesnt arrive tomorrow change the flight.

As said its not an emergency and despite repeated exhortations by the passport office each and every year people still do not look at the expiry dates and then panic!

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Very much different as they are on the island of Ireland and no passport needed.
    no, they are the same.
    There is zero legal difference between Northern Ireland or Scotland or Wales in terms of an irish person entering or working or living in. All are part of the UK in exactly the same way.

Airline security measures are a different kettle of fish, but again you do not require a passport as a rule as an irish person to enter the UK. No passport needed in Newry, no passport needed in Glasgow, no passport needed in London.

Its a recurring theme here that people are getting in a tizzy because "they cannot travel to the uk" as they have no passport
    That's wrong. You can travel to the UK. Just choose a ferry or different airline to Ryanair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement